Sign in to follow this  
Kilroy

Kevin Kolb to Cardinals trade rumor

I don't know if there is any truth to it, but rumors have been going around that the Cardinals may have drafted CB, Patrick Peterson with the intentions of trading him to the Eagles for Kevin Kolb and the Eagles first round selection G/T, Danny Watson. I'm not sure if anything else would be involved.

Some reports have shot the possibility down saying it's against the rules for the Eagles and Cardinals to agree to such a deal before the draft and wait until after the lockout to offically make the trade.

I'm wondering if it could workout that there was no deal in place and the Cardinals took Petrerson knowing he could both help their team if they keep him, and be a potential bargaining chip in a deal for Kevin Kolb if they choose to pursue him after the lockout.

Peterson will be good player. BUt kolb/watkins will have a greater impact for the cardinals. I'd be impressed if they Eagles gave up two players for one.

A shutdown corner could be shopped to almost any team......for almost anything in return..... :thumbsup:

Peterson will be good player. BUt kolb/watkins will have a greater impact for the cardinals. I'd be impressed if they Eagles gave up two players for one.

Since I've made this thread I've been hearing that the trade would actually be Kevin Kolb for Peterson. The Eagles would still keep Watkins.

AZ will sign Marc Bulger.

And....?

The Cardinals may sign Bulger, but I don't think any team could have all that much confidence in him as starter at this point in his career. That's not to say he couldn't end up the Cardinals starter if they sign him, but I don't think it's a scenario the Cardinals and Ken Whisenhunt would be excited about.

My thoughts are that they'd sign Bulger as a Plan B, but they would like to acquire Kevin Kolb as their starter and have Bulger as a back-up.

And....?

The Cardinals may sign Bulger, but I don't think any team could have all that much confidence in him as starter at this point in his career. That's not to say he couldn't end up the Cardinals starter if they sign him, but I don't think it's a scenario the Cardinals and Ken Whisenhunt would be excited about.

My thoughts are that they'd sign Bulger as a Plan B, but they would like to acquire Kevin Kolb as their starter and have Bulger as a back-up.

http://www.nfl.com/players/marcbulger/profile?id=BUL162264

Bulger played at a fairly high level from 2002 until 2006, plus Bulger is only 34 years old. I think that the Cardinals see the same thing in Bulger that they saw in Warner.

If bulger throws for 3,500 yards 20 touchdowns and 10 picks this is an immediate boost to the Cardinals. This is possible, because 5 times in his career he either had better numbers than that, or was on pace to have better numbers than that. In 2002 he took over for an injured warner and only played 7 games, and in 2005 Bulger was having his best season, but suffered an injury and only played 8 games.

Last season the cardinals were 5-11 and only 2 games out of the playoff picture, and that was with 2,900 passing yards, 9 touchdowns and 21 int's. If Bulger has his 6th best season he would be an immediate upgrade and would turn the cardinals into a playoff threat.

AZ will sign Marc Bulger.

Yes, and should count themselves lucky that the Raven's are not inclined to pursue tampering charges......

http://www.nfl.com/players/marcbulger/profile?id=BUL162264

Bulger played at a fairly high level from 2002 until 2006, plus Bulger is only 34 years old. I think that the Cardinals see the same thing in Bulger that they saw in Warner.

If bulger throws for 3,500 yards 20 touchdowns and 10 picks this is an immediate boost to the Cardinals. This is possible, because 5 times in his career he either had better numbers than that, or was on pace to have better numbers than that. In 2002 he took over for an injured warner and only played 7 games, and in 2005 Bulger was having his best season, but suffered an injury and only played 8 games.

Last season the cardinals were 5-11 and only 2 games out of the playoff picture, and that was with 2,900 passing yards, 9 touchdowns and 21 int's. If Bulger has his 6th best season he would be an immediate upgrade and would turn the cardinals into a playoff threat.

If you have to go back five years to name the last good season Bulger had that's really not a good sign. And at 34 years of age, he is far from young. He's not even in the middle of his career at that age, he's towards the end of it. In general I tend to think 34 is considered old for most quarterbacks of Bulger's status. He probably has 2-3 more years left before he retires.

As for the type of numbers he could post if he were the Cardinals starting quarterback I wouldn't expect 3500 yards or any better than 20 touchdowns. Besides the fact he is an injury prone player he simply hasn't shown us much of anything over the last 4 seasons.

I also think the Cardinals are going to become more ground oriented in coming seasons more so than they have over the last few years. That wouldn't help Bulger's statistics any either.

I realize Warner had a 4-5 year span where he didn't do much either, but his and Bulger's careers really aren't comparable. Bulger is no better than a back-up or mediocre starter (at best) at this point in his career in my opinion.

It would be cool if this trade went through. All trades are always for draft picks now a days its been a while since ive seen player for player straight up.

If you have to go back five years to name the last good season Bulger had that's really not a good sign. And at 34 years of age, he is far from young. He's not even in the middle of his career at that age, he's towards the end of it. In general I tend to think 34 is considered old for most quarterbacks of Bulger's status. He probably has 2-3 more years left before he retires.

As for the type of numbers he could post if he were the Cardinals starting quarterback I wouldn't expect 3500 yards or any better than 20 touchdowns. Besides the fact he is an injury prone player he simply hasn't shown us much of anything over the last 4 seasons.

I also think the Cardinals are going to become more ground oriented in coming seasons more so than they have over the last few years. That wouldn't help Bulger's statistics any either.

I realize Warner had a 4-5 year span where he didn't do much either, but his and Bulger's careers really aren't comparable. Bulger is no better than a back-up or mediocre starter (at best) at this point in his career in my opinion.

Mediocre starter would get them to 8-8, they were 5-11 with the second worst passing game in the league last season.

I am by no means arguing that I believe Bulger would be great for the cardinals. But there is a chance he could be slightly above average for a season or two.

It would be cool if this trade went through. All trades are always for draft picks now a days its been a while since ive seen player for player straight up.

This trade is not happening.

This trade is not happening.

This.

As an Eagles fan I'd love to get a stud CB for our backup quarterback, but I'm resigned to Kolb for one more year before he leaves as a free agent. Hopefully there are some starting caliber options at CB whenever free agency happens because Philly's defense is woeful and other than Samuel they have a bunch of average nickel and dime types on the roster. And no pass rush. And soft linebackers. :doh:

Cards will sign a middling vet like Bulger and hope that Skelton develops in his second year. They'll also be happy with the best CB prospect in more than a decade. If they're smart they won't fire Whisenhunt for the 8-8 type season they're likely in for (at best). The QB situation was dreadful last year and Beanie Wells is a puss.

Sounds like if Kolb is traded that it would be for a 2012 first rounder and another pick. It looks like the Cardinals and Seahawks would be the two most likely teams that might pursue this option.

Sounds like if Kolb is traded that it would be for a 2012 first rounder and another pick. It looks like the Cardinals and Seahawks would be the two most likely teams that might pursue this option.

The lack of a bargaining agreement really hurts, since teams would be less likely to deal for a QB a few weeks before the season, without any real time to get him acclimated to a new team and possibly new offense. I'll be surprised if the Eagles are able to net a 1st for Kolb and if not, he's probably worth more to the team as a backup. My brother in law is convinced that resigning Kolb and dealing Vick is the right move. He may have a point. The Eagles D is so poor, I can't think of them as much better than a 10 win playoff bubble team.

Obviously it's all just speculation right now without a bargaining agreement in place. But regardless, a team like the Cardinals NEED a QB this season. Even if they sign Bulger, he won't have much time to get ready either. If they like Kolb a lot (why wouldn't they at his age and salary next season?) they wouldn't have any less time to get him ready than they would if they sign Bulger.

Per Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter considers the Cardinals the clear favorites to trade for Kevin Kolb.

Schefter believes there's "no doubt" the Eagles will deal Kolb, almost certainly to the Cardinals or Seahawks. "Right now, all signs point to Kevin Kolb somehow finding his way to Arizona," said Schefter, "which would make Larry Fitzgerald very happy, which would make the Cardinals an instant contender in the NFC West." This has been our read on the Kolb situation for some time. The return package figures to be a 2012 first-rounder plus another mid-round pick.

Obviously it's all just speculation right now without a bargaining agreement in place. But regardless, a team like the Cardinals NEED a QB this season. Even if they sign Bulger, he won't have much time to get ready either. If they like Kolb a lot (why wouldn't they at his age and salary next season?) they wouldn't have any less time to get him ready than they would if they sign Bulger.

Per Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter considers the Cardinals the clear favorites to trade for Kevin Kolb.

Schefter believes there's "no doubt" the Eagles will deal Kolb, almost certainly to the Cardinals or Seahawks. "Right now, all signs point to Kevin Kolb somehow finding his way to Arizona," said Schefter, "which would make Larry Fitzgerald very happy, which would make the Cardinals an instant contender in the NFC West." This has been our read on the Kolb situation for some time. The return package figures to be a 2012 first-rounder plus another mid-round pick.

That's exactly why I believe Philadelphia will keep him.

The thing people are missing re Arizona is John Skelton. It appears they believe the kid can be their QB of the future, but know he needs a little more time. Plus, Boldin has raved about Bulger to the Cards staff/players; he could go a long way toward keeping Fitz happy until Skelton is ready.