Sign in to follow this  
DeaLerZ

How did Philly's All-star Defense look in their first game?

Anyone who saw the game... does this defense look promising this year?? I think they could easily be in the top 5 overall as far as the NFL goes, and probably the same for fantasy football... how did they look??

Lot of pressure from their front four. The linebackers remain a bog question as Casey mathews looked lost on a few plays. They came up with three interceptions throughout the game. They looked good, but I need to see more until I crown them the best defense

Lot of pressure from their front four. The linebackers remain a bog question as Casey mathews looked lost on a few plays. They came up with three interceptions throughout the game. They looked good, but I need to see more until I crown them the best defense

That is what will be scary. Those corners are so good, philly will be able to blitz the entire front seven pretty much all day. Which is pretty much what they do anyway.

Keep in mind that Asomugha did not play, and the first string defense only played about one series.

Also, Baltimore is not a great passing team, so there really weren't any great receivers challanging them.

I did like the pressure that the defensive line had throughout the game. I think that comes from the new OC's enthusiasm and

the new defensive line coaches approach to rushing the QB. Keep in mind that the addition of Washburn to coach the

defensive line may be as big as any of the free agent signings they had. He had a tremendous amount of success in coaching

the Titans defensive line over the years, and produced three big pass rushers who had limited success when they played for other

teams: Kearse, Haynesworth, and Babin. Babin has said that he is the best defensive line coach he has ever played for.

I do think the Philly defense will take some time to gel. But they should be really good if everyone stays healthy. With a good pass

rush and Asomugha shutting down one side, imagine Asante on the other side, just waiting to jump the WR's route because he knows the

QB does not have time to hold onto the ball. He could get a lot of Int's and TD's this year.

The defenses weak point is inexperience at linebacker, so I look for other teams to throw a lot to backs and TE's. If the Eagles have the

right coaching and have some talent at linebacker, I look for this to be less of an issue as the season progresses.

Uhhh Asomugha played with the starters.

The starting defense played the entire first quarter. The starting OFFENSE played one series.

Uhhh Asomugha played with the starters.

The starting defense played the entire first quarter. The starting OFFENSE played one series.

Sorry, my bad. That's what I get for DVR'ing the game.

I think all my other opinions, which aren't based on Saturdays game, are valid (for what that is worth).

If this team loses more than two games and doesnt win the superbowl it will be the biggest failure in football history. I have never in 34 years watching football seen such a collection of talant on one team. Im not sure how they pulled it off but its almost absurd.

If this team loses more than two games and doesnt win the superbowl it will be the biggest failure in football history. I have never in 34 years watching football seen such a collection of talant on one team. Im not sure how they pulled it off but its almost absurd.

They lost a safety that graded out as the best in the league over the last 3 years according.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/27/making-the-grade-safeties-2008-2010/

They also have average linebackers.

On offense they have a below average backup runningback, their possession wide receiver is having major issues. They tried upgrading an offensive line that was below average as a pass blocking unit last season, but the person they brought in to protect Vick's blind side is injury prone, and he has already been held out of practices for back spasms.

I am not sure why the eagles are called an all star team, they have good corners and that is it. I am not even picking them to win the division.

I'm quite the eagles homer, but in no way would I have EVER said quinton Mikell was better than Troy Palomalu. No no no. I don't care what methods that guy used.

Also, the eagles possession receiver is Jason Avant and he's quite good at what he does. Jeremy Maclin will play when it counts. This is the first week of preseason, I'm not worried whether he or Desean miss time.

Ronnie brown is FAR better than Jerome Harrison as a backup. Dion Lewis looked good as well and could be a nice reserve back.

This team might not be what the morons at ESPN are saying, but this team is improved from last season and is better than any other team in the nfc east if everyone is healthy on all teams. I still believe the Packers are the best team in the NFL, but the eagles have improved to where any given Sunday the birds can compete till the final gun...in Lambeau, or in Philly.

They lost a safety that graded out as the best in the league over the last 3 years according.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/27/making-the-grade-safeties-2008-2010/

They also have average linebackers.

On offense they have a below average backup runningback, their possession wide receiver is having major issues. They tried upgrading an offensive line that was below average as a pass blocking unit last season, but the person they brought in to protect Vick's blind side is injury prone, and he has already been held out of practices for back spasms.

I am not sure why the eagles are called an all star team, they have good corners and that is it. I am not even picking them to win the division.

Is this anti-Eagles bias, anti-Vick bias, or anti-ESPN hype train bias that is driving your opinion?

Here are the facts:

-Eagles were 10-5 in the regular season last year (last game loss was played by back-ups)

-Eagles lost to the eventual SB Champs by 5 in the playoffs. They had an opportunity to win at the end, but failed.

Off-season pluses:

-Eagles added the top corner in free agency and added another pro bowl corner through trade.

-The Eagles significantly upgraded their dline by adding Babin and Jenkins and the new dline coach Washburn.

-The Eagles added veteran depth at RB and WR, by signing Brown and Smith. If Maclin cannot play, Smith would

be a more than adequate substitution (if he is healthy).

-The Eagles hired Indy's Oline coach. While there may be some transition time, the overall pass protection should

be improved this year.

-Vick will have a full training camp with the first team offense which he has not had in Philly. This should help

him get even more comfortable in Andy Reid's offense. I look for the Eagles to have some counters to teams blitzing

from the left to force Vick to run to his right.

-Schedule: The Eagles get the AFC west, as well as Buffalo and Miami from the AFC East, which are all very winnable games.

Even though they finished 1st in the division last year, they caught a break in that they have to play Atlanta and Chicago

while the Giants have to play Green Bay and New Orleans. Even Dallas has to play two up and coming teams in Detroit and Tampa Bay.

Off-season minuses:

-The Eagles lost some experience at LB by losing Bradley, but he missed part of the season last year with injuries.

-The Eagles are young at safety, losing Mikell. However, Allen looked to be really good in his rookie season before he

got hurt, so the Eagles should be okay at safety assuming he is fully back to health.

-RT is a concern due to injury, but could actually be better than last year if Harris stays healthy.

-Maclin's health issues. Without Maclin and Smith, I think Riley Cooper steps in at the #2 spot, and he would be a downgrade.

However, he does have some potential which he showed in flashes last year and in the first preseason game, so I don't think

his presence in the line-up would be a significant drop-off.

Yes, the Eagles have some question marks, but what team doesn't? With the corners and the pressure by the defensive line, it

is going to be very hard to score a lot against the Eagles. I think they have more than enough weapons on offense to win at

least 11 games.

And who, by the way, are you picking to win the division? Just Curious.

Is this anti-Eagles bias, anti-Vick bias, or anti-ESPN hype train bias that is driving your opinion?

And who, by the way, are you picking to win the division? Just Curious.

I respect vick, he has won playoff games. He was the first QB to go into Lambaeu field and win a playoff game in 20 years(when he was with the falcons).

I also do not watch espn. I get my football news online exclusively.

I think the cowboys are going to win the division.