Sign in to follow this  
Militia

Article I found Interesting and A Good Conversation

Altho, like the author states, it probably wont work, but it's a very interesting theory. You can see the full article here

To summarize, maybe instead of avoiding players on the same bye week, you draft players that have the same bye week, tank horribly one week, but be at full strength the rest of the season instead of having someone out every week during the bye's. Interesting, and I figure it could be a good argument on here.

The article is taken from godhateslosers.blogspot.com pretty cool little site.

Let's begin arguing.

Altho, like the author states, it probably wont work, but it's a very interesting theory. You can see the full article here

To summarize, maybe instead of avoiding players on the same bye week, you draft players that have the same bye week, tank horribly one week, but be at full strength the rest of the season instead of having someone out every week during the bye's. Interesting, and I figure it could be a good argument on here.

The article is taken from godhateslosers.blogspot.com pretty cool little site.

Let's begin arguing.

Yea, that's a horrible idea for a myriad of reasons. I'm not concerned if my RB1 is on bye, cause my opponent likely has someone on bye as well. That's also why you draft depth. If you pigeon hole yourself to drafting just from 6-8 teams, you've not only put all your eggs in one basket so to speak, you've thrown any capability to be a value based drafter or best player available strategies right out the window. Go ahead and try it, but you'll likely have an awful team.

To be honest, I don't even worry about bye weeks. They are going to come, injures are going to happen and I'll make changes mid season I never anticipated making. If I have a few guys on byes together, I'll look to my bench to help me that week.

Yea, that's a horrible idea for a myriad of reasons. I'm not concerned if my RB1 is on bye, cause my opponent likely has someone on bye as well. That's also why you draft depth. If you pigeon hole yourself to drafting just from 6-8 teams, you've not only put all your eggs in one basket so to speak, you've thrown any capability to be a value based drafter or best player available strategies right out the window. Go ahead and try it, but you'll likely have an awful team.

To be honest, I don't even worry about bye weeks. They are going to come, injures are going to happen and I'll make changes mid season I never anticipated making. If I have a few guys on byes together, I'll look to my bench to help me that week.

I agree with you completely. For all the same reasons, I wouldn't do it. I tried to do it during a mock, but it just easly gets jacked up and your forced to get crappy players or give up on the theory. but it is interesting.

I won't go out of my way to draft based on bye weeks, but I don't mind taking players from the same team if they are available at the round I'm willing to draft them in (exp: Austin in the 3rd and Witten in the 6th). Drafting based on value is the key imo, and if you draft based on stacking bye weeks it would likely hurt your team for more than just that week.

In theory, I agree I'd like to have one week to suck and be at full strength the rest of the games. In practice, you're putting up these insane artificial boundaries by locking yourself into drafting players who share a bye week. So, it'd never work.

Personally, I only avoid overlapping bye weeks for my two QBs and my top two RBs. You can always plug in / pick up a passable WR, TE, K, DEF on a bye week.

Week 5

Ravens

Browns

Cowboys

Dolphins

Rams

Redskins

Week 6

Broncos

Chiefs

Chargers

Seahawks

Titans

Week 7

Bills

Bengals

Patriots

Giants

Eagles

49ers

Week 8

Bears

Packers

Jets

Oakland

Bucs

Week 9

Panthers

Lions

Jags

Vikings

Week 11

Texans

Colts

Saints

Steelers

I actually tried that one year. It wasnt intentional at first, but as I recall, 3 of my first 4 draft choices had the same bye week. During the mid to later rounds (when I usually start paying attention to my players byes), I said "fock it" I'll just tank a week, and get it all over with at once. I believe my "tank week" was week 10.

Never really happened, as due to trades/injuries/moves, my team was definitely not the same as it was after the draft. I remember getting my ass whooped in week 10..as I still had my studs on byes, and unfortunately I needed a victory that late in the season. Was a bad strategy. Lesson learned.