Sign in to follow this  
TimHauck

Why so high on Amendola?

So I've been looking over the rankings on here, and one guy that caught my eye as being ranked unusually high IMO is Danny Amendola. FFToday has him ranked at #24 and he was #29 in the consensus rankings with a couple people even having him in the #15 range. Yeah, he should probably be well above where ESPN has him ranked (59th I believe), but top 30 seems a bit high IMO.

I realize he had all those targets last year, but he was still only about 45th in points among WR's last year. I saw one post where someone said he could get 1,000 yards and 8 TD's, and that's definitely possible, but that's probably about his ceiling. And numbers like that would've only put him around the 20th-best WR last year. So if his ceiling is around #20, maybe just a bit higher, where some people have him ranked doesn't seem to give him much cushion to fall below his ceiling.

Please enlighten us as to why Amendola will have such a good year this year.

the guy could be a PPR monster......rams may not be a offense you can even compare to the Pats, but he is pretty much a wes welker clone, alot of catches, but not many touchdowns

his yardage was a little low last year, but he has a high ceiling, hence why he is ranked higher than he should

i love him this year as his stats should increase in every category

but me personally, i wouldnt draft him any higher than a #3 wr, i am very high on him, but as i said, the rams are not the pats

In PPR leagues he is an unabashed monster, but I do agree with you about him in Standard scoring leagues.

The high amount of targets he sees still makes him a nice flex play on any week though.

Absolutely....in PPR league he's great. Makes a good WR-3 or Flex option every week. In standard scoring, he'll make a great bye week fill-in. I'm targeting him in all my leagues.

I can't remember the exact stat but he ranked in the top 5 (wrs) in redzone targets last year (i think I read that on ESPN). Granted, he only scored like 3, but something has got to give. I took him as a #4 WR with a little upside. He probably won't see the line up save for byes or injuries. In a PPR he carries more weight so where I got him was a good value. The lack of a stand out WR or TE helps his value, as with SJax declining #s. I think he's capable of 90-1000 with 5-6tds but that is his ceiling. His floor is probably around 60-600-2, which isn't too shabby. I got him in the 12th round I think & that's damn good value considering what/who was around him at that time. He will never get you 0 pts. for the week in a PPR, that I will guarantee & that's all that matters when taking a WR, especially that late.

I can't remember the exact stat but he ranked in the top 5 (wrs) in redzone targets last year (i think I read that on ESPN). Granted, he only scored like 3, but something has got to give. I took him as a #4 WR with a little upside. He probably won't see the line up save for byes or injuries. In a PPR he carries more weight so where I got him was a good value. The lack of a stand out WR or TE helps his value, as with SJax declining #s. I think he's capable of 90-1000 with 5-6tds but that is his ceiling. His floor is probably around 60-600-2, which isn't too shabby. I got him in the 12th round I think & that's damn good value considering what/who was around him at that time. He will never get you 0 pts. for the week in a PPR, that I will guarantee & that's all that matters when taking a WR, especially that late.

You can expect those redzone targets to go WAY down with Kendricks and Sims-Walker becoming more prominent.

I agree with saying he should be no higher than a WR3 in standard leagues, but that was exactly my point. FFtoday has him ranked at #24 (and I think he was even higher earlier), so based off that ranking in a 12-team league he'd potentially be a WR2. Even a #30 ranking would mean he'd be a potential flex starter.

46. Last season, Danny Amendola had 85 receptions, ninth most in the NFL.

47. He also had 24 targets inside the red zone, tied for the most in the NFL.

48. He had three receiving touchdowns, tied for 71st in the NFL.

49. "Something's gotta give" is a popular saying.

Article

People are believing in him because:

#1 all the targets should turn into catches (and yards) ... in theory

#2 led the team in receptions last year ... regardless of who they brought in, they will use this kid as their #1

#3 people are believing in Bradford this year as a sleeper

#4 a young WR and a young QB are a year older and a year better, so again, in theory, there should be an improvement.

#5 can't really do much worse than the 3 scores he got last year lol

However, you are right ... this may not justify a high ranking. But people WILL pay for high upside. And they do. It's called hype.

In a draft you may have to reach if you want him. In an auction you may have to spend an extra buck or 2. He's worth whatever someone will pay for him.

You can expect those redzone targets to go WAY down with Kendricks and Sims-Walker becoming more prominent.

Yeah. Right now those are the guys to own, especially in td leagues IMO. Still worth drafting Danny and maybe Gibson late though.

Please enlighten us as to why Amendola will have such a good year this year.

If you're in a PPR he could catch more balls than Ryan Seacrest.

Sorry didn't specify, I was mainly referring to non-PPR where he still seems to be ranked pretty high.

Couldn't you also look at it from the other side of the coin though...he was among the league leaders in targets and STILL had less than 700 rec yards and only 3 TD's...couldn't it be just as likely that he gets fewer targets than last year, and thus makes it tougher for him to increase his production by over 40% as some are predicting?

Sorry didn't specify, I was mainly referring to non-PPR where he still seems to be ranked pretty high.

Couldn't you also look at it from the other side of the coin though...he was among the league leaders in targets and STILL had less than 700 rec yards and only 3 TD's...couldn't it be just as likely that he gets fewer targets than last year, and thus makes it tougher for him to increase his production by over 40% as some are predicting?

McDaniels is going to throw A LOT. I don't think Amendola is nearly as valuable in a non-PPR league, but just on sheer volume he ought to be worth a #3 spot on your roster, I would think. JMHO