Sign in to follow this  
Skinny_Bastard

Manningham vs Cruz

Is there a changing of the guards? Cruz to start opposite of Nicks going forward with Manningham coming in on 3 WR sets?

"After a rocky start, during which he seemed to draw Manning's ire by running a couple of incorrect routes, WR Mario Manningham was apparently demoted. For most of the last three quarters, Victor Cruz joined Hakeem Nicks in two-receiver sets. Manningham played mostly as the third receiver. Manningham, who was returning from the concussion he suffered two weeks ago, said he was physically fine. "That's how it is," he said. "There's plays where he comes in, there's plays where I come in." (New York Daily News)"

Manningham had his chance to shine. He didn't. Victor Cruz has been waiting since he starred in last year's preseason. With Steve Smith gone, and Manningham floundering, Cruz is a top 15 reciever in the league.

Manningham had his chance to shine. He didn't. Victor Cruz has been waiting since he starred in last year's preseason. With Steve Smith gone, and Manningham floundering, Cruz is a top 15 reciever in the league.

TOP 15??!?!? :blink:

A bit optimistic don't ya think?

maybe he is running the wrong routes cause he is still suffering the after effects of the concussion. This might not be a permanent shift.

I don't think there is any shift (permanent anyway) going on here at all. Gilbride just said last week he felt Cruz's future was in the slot. And let's not forget that until two weeks ago, the coaches didn't trust Cruz's hands or route running enough to put him in the game (Hixon was running ahead of him). So unless the coaching staff does an about-face and decides to run three-wide more regularly, I don't think Manningham is losing his job - even if he did get benched in Week 4. Cruz's quasi-fumble at the end of the game isn't going to help that promotion into the starting lineup either.

I don't think there is any shift (permanent anyway) going on here at all. Gilbride just said last week he felt Cruz's future was in the slot. And let's not forget that until two weeks ago, the coaches didn't trust Cruz's hands or route running enough to put him in the game (Hixon was running ahead of him). So unless the coaching staff does an about-face and decides to run three-wide more regularly, I don't think Manningham is losing his job - even if he did get benched in Week 4. Cruz's quasi-fumble at the end of the game isn't going to help that promotion into the starting lineup either.

All good points, and you might be right on all of them. However read this quote from yahoo:"Cruz looks like a significant part of the passing offense going forward and even saw time opposite Hakeem Nicks in two-receiver sets late in Sunday's game at the expense of Mario Manningham."

So, this quote plants the seed of doubt on Manningham's stature in upcoming games.

This is Cruz's 2nd consecutive 100 yard receiving game (well almost since it was 98 yards) and that's generally considered good production by a reciever. As far as almost costing the game by putting the ball on the ground, the end result went in Cruz's favor. I think the coaching staff would chalk that up to a learning experience and something that can be prevented going forward.

So, because of that possibility, as improbable as it may seem, I'm going to burn my waiver wire priority on Victor Cruz. The payoff is pretty good if Cruz actually gets the needed targets to get 6-10 receptions per game.

I never trust a thing coaches say. The key is watch what they do.

Gilbert said Cruz position will be in the slot right? Well, then why the heck was he lining up opposite of H. Nicks 3 out of the 4 quarters last week? He played pretty darn well the past 2 weeks. The Giants won both games. Football isn't baseball. You don't have 160+ games to tinker around with lineups. Go with what works...and stay with it until it doesn't.

Again in the NFL, coaches will GO WITH what works and usually STAY with it.

One more note, Manningham had his best games in his career working out of the slot.