Sign in to follow this  
BRANDON ROSS

Louisiana Bans cash for second hand goods

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but it seems pretty radical. The bill's author states the reason was to limit the selling of stolen property, but I think we know that tax collection is their number one priority. Question: Is this legal since out currency is supposed to be legal tender for all debts public and private?

"A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property and made payable to the name and address of the seller. All payments made by check, electronic transfers, or money order shall be reported separately in the daily reports required by R.S. 37:1866."

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111019/17424316421/louisiana-makes-it-illegal-to-use-cash-secondhand-sales.shtml

http://www.mygov365.com/legislation/view/id/4db66f7549e51bd334be0300/tab/versions/

:thumbsdown:

So if I want to sell some of my junk at a garage sale, I can't accept cash?

Sounds like boolshitt to me.

:thumbsdown:

So if I want to sell some of my junk at a garage sale, I can't accept cash?

Sounds like boolshitt to me.

The law says "dealer". I'm not sure if you have to get some type of license to be a junk dealer, but either way the govt has been trying to charge capital gains on small purchases to force precious metals investors to pay taxes on their profits for a while now.

This story sounds fake tbh. I can't imagine a state banning cash sales. Even if they did it won't survive the first court challenge.

This story sounds fake tbh. I can't imagine a state banning cash sales. Even if they did it won't survive the first court challenge.

Did you see the link to the actual HB195 text?

The law says "dealer". I'm not sure if you have to get some type of license to be a junk dealer, but either way the govt has been trying to charge capital gains on small purchases to force precious metals investors to pay taxes on their profits for a while now.

But they define a "second hand dealer" as "every person in this state engaged in the business of buying, selling, trading in, or otherwise acquiring or diposing of junk or used or second hand property..."

So to me, that would include garage sales, flea markets, swap meets etc. I understand trying to give law enforcement a tool to track down stolen property but this seems a little excessive.

But they define a "second hand dealer" as "every person in this state engaged in the business of buying, selling, trading in, or otherwise acquiring or diposing of junk or used or second hand property..."

So to me, that would include garage sales, flea markets, swap meets etc. I understand trying to give law enforcement a tool to track down stolen property but this seems a little excessive.

I'm really surprised such a strong red state would pass something that takes away so much personal freedom. Guess I shouldn't be, but I am.

I could be totally wrong about this and I don't feel like googling, but I heard years ago that it is a federal offense to refuse US currency as payment in this country. Which if that is true, a state can't force someone to not accept US currency. :dunno:

I could be totally wrong about this and I don't feel like googling, but I heard years ago that it is a federal offense to refuse US currency as payment in this country. Which if that is true, a state can't force someone to not accept US currency. :dunno:

The bill passed way under the radar. Typical Louisiana politics. Only dealers have to write checks or money orders when buying goods.

After Katrina we had thieves stealing copper wiring, plumbing, and anything else they could sell to scrap yards. Now they are running out of things to steal so they started stealing the guard rails on the highways and a politician got pissed because his highway looked bad. It will be reversed. The pawn industry will se to that.

The bill passed way under the radar. Typical Louisiana politics. Only dealers have to write checks or money orders when buying goods.

After Katrina we had thieves stealing copper wiring, plumbing, and anything else they could sell to scrap yards. Now they are running out of things to steal so they started stealing the guard rails on the highways and a politician got pissed because his highway looked bad. It will be reversed. The pawn industry will se to that.

I don't know why this made me giggle.

WTF goes on down there in New Orleans? Stealing guard rails off of highways? :lol:

I don't know why this made me giggle.

WTF goes on down there in New Orleans? Stealing guard rails off of highways? :lol:

It's pretty fawked up. They had one scrap dealer know that he was buying metal barriers and kept buying them anyway. So the thieves kept stealing them. They closed down his shop and the thieves kept stealing them but nobody else would take them. Now there's a pile of them sitting near the projects and the state doesn't know what to do.

They're doing worse than that here in California.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19205408

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8045080

But these stories always make me :lol:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/inland_empire&id=8099868