Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyn2022

Week 16 and 17 superbowl

So our league the superbowl is played for 2 weeks. Weeks 16 and 17. Strategy is very import. You have to decide if you want to play your player week 16 or 17. The negative is if you play a guy week 17 who has a better matchup then his week 16 he may get sat because of playoff reasons. I have Stafford and have to figure if I wanna play him in week 16 vs SD or Week 17 vs GB. Way more skill then a 1 week miracle IMO. If you own Nicks whose a stud and he plays the Jets or Lynch who plays the 49ers and they are your stud you won't be screwed because of the matchup they got.

This might the dumbest thing I've heard of in fantasy football. So you play individual games all regular season and the first two weeks of the playoffs and then you throw that out the window when it comes to the big game and go with a two week format? That would be like the NFL coming out and saying that the Super Bowl will have 8 quarters this year.

This might the dumbest thing I've heard of in fantasy football. So you play individual games all regular season and the first two weeks of the playoffs and then you throw that out the window when it comes to the big game and go with a two week format? That would be like the NFL coming out and saying that the Super Bowl will have 8 quarters this year.

agreed! this is brutal!! Who came up with this format? I thought I have heard of it all but this is a new low..week 17 is a waste anyways and hence most championships rolling this week!

So our league the superbowl is played for 2 weeks. Weeks 16 and 17. Strategy is very import. You have to decide if you want to play your player week 16 or 17. The negative is if you play a guy week 17 who has a better matchup then his week 16 he may get sat because of playoff reasons. I have Stafford and have to figure if I wanna play him in week 16 vs SD or Week 17 vs GB. Way more skill then a 1 week miracle IMO. If you own Nicks whose a stud and he plays the Jets or Lynch who plays the 49ers and they are your stud you won't be screwed because of the matchup they got.

Yes, we do it in our work league. Has actually been fun as I have won a few SBs in this format and am in this years as well. However, we don't do the either week #16 or Week #17 thing. We can start any of our players both weeks.

My main league Finals are week 16 & 17. But we can play any player both weeks.

Originally the playoffs were set-up for weeks 13-16 and then Espn changed it to weeks 14-17 sometime around week 5. When I brought up changing it back it was shot down from guys who arent even in the playoffs. My players are mostly from teams that should not be resting week 17. Opponents team has Brees & Graham. I am thinking he is going to have problems week 17.

Never heard of that, but in one of my leagues the playoffs are a round-robin format. Three weeks, best record win, then total points. If there are tie-breakers, you get a points bonus. It seems to be working pretty well.

Says the guy who never played in the format. Besides, what does the real SB have to do with it? Obviously in REAL football, the players would be dead by then. But, in the REAL NFL, they are still playing in week #17 and in this format you have to EARN it over 2 weeks.

agreed! this is brutal!! Who came up with this format? I thought I have heard of it all but this is a new low..week 17 is a waste anyways and hence most championships rolling this week!

Don't knock till you tried it. It's not that bad, really.

Says the guy who never played in the format. Besides, what does the real SB have to do with it? Obviously in REAL football, the players would be dead by then. But, in the REAL NFL, they are still playing in week #17 and in this format you have to EARN it over 2 weeks.

My point is that you play with one mindset for the first 15 weeks and then you have to come up with a different stratgegy for the championship. My Super Bowl analogy is accurate. Teams play and coach to win in a 4 quarter game. They don't have to prepare for something completely different at the end.

They're not all "still playing in week 17". That's the problem. A lot of critical players play a fraction of the time they would the rest of the year. Don't give me this argument that injuries or poor performance can happen any time during the season. You can't control those things but you can control whether or not you have to play in week 17.

My point is that you play with one mindset for the first 15 weeks and then you have to come up with a different stratgegy for the championship. My Super Bowl analogy is accurate. Teams play and coach to win in a 4 quarter game. They don't have to prepare for something completely different at the end.

They're not all "still playing in week 17". That's the problem. A lot of critical players play a fraction of the time they would the rest of the year. Don't give me this argument that injuries or poor performance can happen any time during the season. You can't control those things but you can control whether or not you have to play in week 17.

I think i am going to enjoy playing in week 17 this year, because I planned for it. It does not appear that my opponent put alot of thought into it.

I don't see anything wrong with having a two-week championship. A lot of fantasy baseball leagues are like this. But picking which week for each guy is really weird. How is that even scored? Honor system?

CALM DOWN...Your player only plays 1 time but you get to pick if he plays week 16 or week 17 for example I have Nicks who is a stud but he plays the JETS. Now that's bad LUCK and in our league I won't play him that week I will play him against Dallas. Smart move on my part. I think there is way more skill involved in this format then a regular one. 1 week anyone could get lucky. This way I get to play matchups and I don't have to be screwed by a bad matchup. So if a guy has LYNCH who has carried his team all year long and won him 12 games and sees that lynch plays the 49ers he isn't screwed over.

I dunno, I think that's probably less strategy than normal, since you're basically avoiding having to play guys with bad matchups, but bad matchups are a part of FF. Most likely most of your guys will have at least one decent matchup in either week 16 or 17, so you just have to pick the best one which probably isn't too hard. It also makes the draft less important as far as drafting with the playoffs in consideration. Normally the ultimate goal is to have the best team in week 16, not have part of your team be good in week 16 and part of your team be good in week 17.

But my question remains, how do you even regulate the scoring? Do you have to write-in your choices or something?

I don't see anything wrong with having a two-week championship. A lot of fantasy baseball leagues are like this. But picking which week for each guy is really weird. How is that even scored? Honor system?

All you do is put in the guys you want to play week 16 and bench everyone else. We have a stat tracker and that will keep the score for week 16 then when week 17 comes along you take out your week 16 guys and put in your week 17 guys and you combined the 2 scores. IMO this allows the best team to win and not a team who got lucky matchups. I'm sorry but you can have LYNCH@ 49ers and Nicks@Jets and someone else could have Gaffney@ MIN and Blount vs CAR. Now Nicks is ranked 12th and Lynch is ranked 6th on the year and the other guy has Blount who is ranked 28th but is playing CAR 31 vs the run and he has Gaffney ranked 28 vs MINN 31st vs the pass. HOW IS THAT FAIR? Which players are better? Nicks and Lynch or Blount and Gaffney?

I dunno, I think that's probably less strategy than normal, since you're basically avoiding having to play guys with bad matchups, but bad matchups are a part of FF. Most likely most of your guys will have at least one decent matchup in either week 16 or 17, so you just have to pick the best one which probably isn't too hard. It also makes the draft less important as far as drafting with the playoffs in consideration. Normally the ultimate goal is to have the best team in week 16, not have part of your team be good in week 16 and part of your team be good in week 17.

But my question remains, how do you even regulate the scoring? Do you have to write-in your choices or something?

Bad matchups are a part of fantasy football. That's where a lot of luck comes in. The best team should win not the luckiest. Injuries already play a huge part so why allow bad matchups to as well? I just feel like fantasy is so much luck as it is why not eliminate that somewhat. As far as score keeping goes we have a stat tracker for ESPN and that keeps the score for u. All you do is put in the players you plan on playing week 16 and your lineup will be locked as normal and the score will be kept. I have Pitt def,Aj Green,S. Green,Akers playing this week so I will put them in and will bench everyone else then whatever my score is I will take that and add it to the score of my week 17. SO EASY!

My main league Finals are week 16 & 17. But we can play any player both weeks.

Originally the playoffs were set-up for weeks 13-16 and then Espn changed it to weeks 14-17 sometime around week 5. When I brought up changing it back it was shot down from guys who arent even in the playoffs. My players are mostly from teams that should not be resting week 17. Opponents team has Brees & Graham. I am thinking he is going to have problems week 17.

Thats why we give the option of playing your guy week 16 or week 17 so if I own Brees I'm playing him week 16 for sure because they may sit him week 17. Now if I have a guy from the Raiders,Jets,Cinn I can play them week 17 because they are in the wild card hunt and I know they won't rest their guys.

Bad matchups are a part of fantasy football. That's where a lot of luck comes in. The best team should win not the luckiest. Injuries already play a huge part so why allow bad matchups to as well? I just feel like fantasy is so much luck as it is why not eliminate that somewhat. As far as score keeping goes we have a stat tracker for ESPN and that keeps the score for u. All you do is put in the players you plan on playing week 16 and your lineup will be locked as normal and the score will be kept. I have Pitt def,Aj Green,S. Green,Akers playing this week so I will put them in and will bench everyone else then whatever my score is I will take that and add it to the score of my week 17. SO EASY!

LOL, bad matchups aren't luck. They should be planned for at the draft, that's where actual strategy comes in. It doesn't take much strategy to pick the easier of 2 matchups for the same player.

Lmao at drafting guys with good playoff maychups. It hard enough drafting players who will do good in the season. How do you know what teams are gonna be good against the run? Ur telling me u knew the 49ers would be this good vs the run? Your telling me ur not gonna draft nicks a top 5 wr before the season because he plays the jets in the playoffs? I could see you doing it half way through the season. When you've seen whose good and whose bad. All I'm saying is this 2 week playoff system is the best system IMO and people knock auction drafts but I love them...

I didn't say you draft them specifically for playoff matchups, but it should be a factor taken into consideration. A lot of people avoided Peyton Hillis on draft day because he had brutal playoff matchups. Good thing they did.

Don't knock till you tried it. It's not that bad, really.

I get the two week playoff.. but why cant you play your best players two weeks in a row.. this completly changes the make up of your team, depth is usless till the last game of the year then the team with the best bench wins?? I just dont get how you can hold a bunch of bench players all year hoping you make the big game?