Sign in to follow this  
KevinH313

Defense Wins Championships

It's championship weekend, and I need to start a championship defense.

I have Seattle's D at home against the 49ers, and I have the Broncos defense at Buffalo.

Seattle has been on a roll, scoring 64 points in the past 3 weeks, but those were against some softer offenses. The 49ers don't turn the ball over much, so that makes me nervous. The Broncos D hasn't produced as many fantasy points as Seattle's, but they have an OK matchup against the struggling Bills, and could have a solid (but not spectacular) week.

So, Seahawks or Broncos. Which defense would you start?

Leave a link, I'll help you out.

Thanks for your response to mine

I really like the Broncos defense against buffalo this week. I actually picked them up in a league. I wouldn't be to worried about their performance vs NE. No defense is good against them. Your scoring may be different but in one league I played Steelers D against the 49ers last week and they ended up with 1 pt. didn't get a single sack or turnover or anything so I don't see how the Seahawks would come through big. Good luck man

It's championship weekend, and I need to start a championship defense.

I have Seattle's D at home against the 49ers, and I have the Broncos defense at Buffalo.

Seattle has been on a roll, scoring 64 points in the past 3 weeks, but those were against some softer offenses. The 49ers don't turn the ball over much, so that makes me nervous. The Broncos D hasn't produced as many fantasy points as Seattle's, but they have an OK matchup against the struggling Bills, and could have a solid (but not spectacular) week.

So, Seahawks or Broncos. Which defense would you start?

Leave a link, I'll help you out.

Broncos without a doubt. Seattle is a tough place to play, but I think San Fran will find a way to put up points with the weapons they have.

See mine:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=398340

Thanks for answering my post earlier.

I think Denver will play very well against the bills, but could be a high scoring game with turn overs. The Seattle game will most likely be a low scoring game, but I don't see a lot of turn overs there. Go with your gut on this one!

I think I'd go with the hot D and go with Seattle. I believe they have scored at least one defensive TD in the last three weeks. Thanks for answering mine. LeBron.

Great to see your post here (and the responses) I've got the same question relative to SEA vs. DEN D's to start. I'm curious who you'll roll with. I'm leaning Seattle based on how well they play at home, they're playing SF on a short week, Gore may not play a full game, turnovers, and I see it low scoring. I'm really split on this and if you have a nugget which will sway to one or the other, throw it back.

Yep, i'm the underdog for the trophy so I need to squeeze as many pts from my D as possible. Good luck man.

again, I've got Den in there now, but have been rethinking going SEA.

That's pretty funny. I've been going through the same thing with starting Denver but then rethinking Seattle. In the end, I'm picking Denver, and here's my reasoning:

In Week 1, Seattle's D gave up 33 points to the 49ers, but two TD's were on Ted Ginn punt returns, so the defense really gave up a respectable 17 points. What concerned me, though, was that they didn't register a single sack, pick, or fumble. The Seahawks are a much improved team, and they will be playing at home, so I see them scoring around 5-6 points this time around. I just can't get over the fact that they didn't do anything against the 49ers in week 1.

To be fair, their defense was good that game. They only gave up 209 total yards of offense to the Niners. But I think that just shows how good the 49ers are at protecting the ball. Even when their offense struggles, they just don't turn it over.

I know the Seattle D has been hot in recent weeks, but you could say the same for the Pittsburgh defense before it got gashed by the 49ers last week. Plus, the 49ers do have motivation to play hard this weekend. If they win out, they get a 1st round bye. If they lose and Saints win out, then the Saints get the bye.

For all those reasons, I can't recommend starting Seattle's defense. Yet, I still can't completely rule it out.

I am starting the Broncos defense because it's an decent all-around matchup. I'm hoping the Broncos run it, control the clock, and limit the Bills offensive opportunities. Bills have nothing to play for, and they've been on a losing streak, while the Broncos D will hopefully come out with some fire after being torched by the Patriots last week. It also doesn't look like good throwing weather in Buffalo, so hopefully Fitzpatrick struggles. I don't expect a defensive TD for Denver, but I do think they'll get around 8-10 points.

I'm considered the underdog in my game too, at least by the projections, although I've learned not to trust those any more. I guess if you are a serious underdog, starting the Seahawks D might be worth the risk. I don't think I need big points from my defense, so I'm going with the safer Broncos. But I think the Broncos have some upside as well. There's potential for them to score a lot more (or a lot less).

Honestly, I have this feeling that Seattle will do just fine against the 49ers, but I've kind of made up my mind to start Denver, so I'm just going wait till the feeling passes.

Anyways, best of luck on your championship as well. Hope that was helpful.

As a Seattle owner, I say go Denver in hopes of that big play.

Seattle is in like for 1 INT/2 sacks and about 250 yards and 17 points. If those kind of puke number float you boat, got with that but that will not cut it in most leagues.

Denver will have at least 2 TO's & 2 sacks and they are always on the verge of a big play on D so go with them.

'Lil help if you could

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=398360

That's pretty funny. I've been going through the same thing with starting Denver but then rethinking Seattle. In the end, I'm picking Denver, and here's my reasoning:

Anyways, best of luck on your championship as well. Hope that was helpful.

KevenH313, awesome analysis. Thanks! Big help! :thumbsup:

go get em today! and hoist that cup!

Best, Philo