Sign in to follow this  
mzf5c5

Colts New GM - Ryan Grigson?

Not official yet, but he had his second interview yesterday and rumors are running wild today he will be the next man. I have tried finding information about him and so far, limited on what I see.

Any Eagle fans have input? Anyone else?

Sounds like he has a lot of potential from what I have read.

NOW, will he take the step and fire Caldwell right away and bring in Jeff Fisher? Yes, I am still hoping we are the mystery team and that is why he is stalling.

- Fire Caldwell

- Trade Manning

- Sign Flynn

- Trade the pick

Good to go.

I will tell you, the Packers are for sure going to get some offers for Flynn this draft. I don't know if they will trade him, but I think they could maybe get a 2nd round pick for him.

Fire Caldwell

Hire Jeff Fisher

ASSUMING PEYTON MANNING IS HEALTHY:

-Restructure his contract to lower his cap hit - he owes it to Indy after signing a contract without being healthy enough to play.

-Trade Luck to the Browns for the #4 pick, #23 pick, 2nd rounder (#36), and a future 1st rounder (and possibly 2nd)

-Draft Blackmon at 4, let Reggie Wayne walk.

-Draft the best DT available at #23.

-Use BOTH the #32 and #36 picks on secondary.

-Actually sign some people in free agency (interior OLine, secondary)

Other things I think should happen:

-Bring in a defensive coordinator who can run a blitz-style 4-3.

-Let Robert Mathis walk: no need to rely on 2 pass-rushers with the new scheme. Plus, Jamaal Anderson (re-sign him) played well last season.

-Extend Freeney's contract another 2 years. This will please Freeney, and lower his ridiculous $19M cap hit for 2012.

Other thing to consider:

-With Barkley and Landry Jones staying in school, IF Peyton Manning doesn't work out (health issues, not a competitive enough team to merit sticking with the veteran) - the Colts now have the ammo to trade UP next year, with (2) 1st rounders and (2) 2nd rounders.

I just hope this guy doesn't mind bringing in FA's sometimes! I think a couple of our years before, could have been SB's if we had dipped into FA a little more and grabbed a couple key players to even out the team.

I just hope this guy doesn't mind bringing in FA's sometimes! I think a couple of our years before, could have been SB's if we had dipped into FA a little more and grabbed a couple key players to even out the team.

Yep, and I feel like the one area of free agency that always has a major impact is secondary - the Colts' biggest need.

The Texans are a perfect example: They signed CB Jonathon Joseph, Safety Daniel Manning (which allowed them to move a current play to a different position) - and they were the biggest part of their defensive turn around.

Yep, and I feel like the one area of free agency that always has a major impact is secondary - the Colts' biggest need.

The Texans are a perfect example: They signed CB Jonathon Joseph, Safety Daniel Manning (which allowed them to move a current play to a different position) - and they were the biggest part of their defensive turn around.

Well he is official now. WOOT! Now lets bring in a new HC and new DC and get ready for the draft!!!!!

I still hope Manning can come back and I hope we keep him. I just will have a hard time letting him go. I am sure most fans would. I am glad to hear that Irsay has said he won't put that burden on the new GM and that he will make the final decision on Manning. I think that is where it belongs.

With that, Jim loves Manning like a son and I would be really stunned if he let him go, if he is healthy. Not healthy is one thing, but if he is throwing and looks good, Jim wants Manning at the helm.

Fire Caldwell

Hire Jeff Fisher

-Restructure his contract to lower his cap hit - he owes it to Indy after signing a contract without being healthy enough to play.

-Trade Luck to the Browns for the #4 pick, #23 pick, 2nd rounder (#36), and a future 1st rounder (and possibly 2nd)

-Let Robert Mathis walk: no need to rely on 2 pass-rushers with the new scheme. Plus, Jamaal Anderson (re-sign him) played well last season.

-Extend Freeney's contract another 2 years. This will please Freeney, and lower his ridiculous $19M cap hit for 2012.

Other thing to consider:

-With Barkley and Landry Jones staying in school, IF Peyton Manning doesn't work out (health issues, not a competitive enough team to merit sticking with the veteran) - the Colts now have the ammo to trade UP next year, with (2) 1st rounders and (2) 2nd rounders.

WELL SAID!

I am glad to hear that Irsay has said he won't put that burden on the new GM and that he will make the final decision on Manning.

This doesn't seem like a functional situation. It should solely be based on what's best for the team. But I do agree..kind of hard to cut a guy that has a local children's hospital named after him.

I will tell you, the Packers are for sure going to get some offers for Flynn this draft. I don't know if they will trade him, but I think they could maybe get a 2nd round pick for him.

I thought he was a free agent.

I will say this, the Eagles have consistently done a bad job in the draft during the time that Grigson was the college scouting director and then director of player personnel. They have especially done a poor job in the early rounds. Now I have no idea how much of a say he had in these decisions with Andy Reid, Joe Banner, and then Howie Roseman. The fact that he has continued to get promoted through the organization is usual a good sign though.

This doesn't seem like a functional situation. It should solely be based on what's best for the team. But I do agree..kind of hard to cut a guy that has a local children's hospital named after him.

It does take pressure off of him making a decision that could either be good/bad and have a huge negative from the fans. But I am sure Manning would keep his name on the hospital. He does a lot there, it means a lot to him.

I thought he was a free agent.

I believe he is also, but it doesn't mean they can't franchise tag him or resign him before teams have a shot.

I will say this, the Eagles have consistently done a bad job in the draft during the time that Grigson was the college scouting director and then director of player personnel. They have especially done a poor job in the early rounds. Now I have no idea how much of a say he had in these decisions with Andy Reid, Joe Banner, and then Howie Roseman. The fact that he has continued to get promoted through the organization is usual a good sign though.

Thanks for the information. The biggest thing I would like to see is some FA signings. Not that we need to have a bunch, but I felt a few we finally did this year payed off well. Anderson and Sims played good defense for us. I don't know if I would agree they have done a bad job in the draft process, you always seem to draft good defensive players and have drafted a few offensive weapons the last couple years.

Thanks for the information. The biggest thing I would like to see is some FA signings. Not that we need to have a bunch, but I felt a few we finally did this year payed off well. Anderson and Sims played good defense for us. I don't know if I would agree they have done a bad job in the draft process, you always seem to draft good defensive players and have drafted a few offensive weapons the last couple years.

I guess I should of been more specific. They've done a TERRIBLE job drafting on the defensive side of the ball over the last 6 years or so. Offensively, they have done a pretty nice job with Jackson, McCoy, Maclin, and some offensive line help.

But on the defensive side of the ball, since drafting Mike Patterson and Trent Cole in the 1st and 5th rounds of the 2005 draft, the Eagles have failed to draft one impactful, long term defensive player. This is there defensive drafts since then:

2011:

Jaiquawn Jarret- Needs time, zero impact so far

Curtis Marsh- Needs time, zero impact so far

Casey Matthews- Struggling

Brian Rolle- Decent, TBD

Greg Lloyd- Non-factor

2010:

Brandon Graham-Injured, non-factor, needs time

Nate Allen- Recovering from injury, needs time

Daniel Te’o Nesheim- Practice squad

Trevard Lindley- Cut

Keenan Clayton- Non-factor

Ricky Sapp- Cut

Jamar Chaney- Regressed

Jeff Owens- Cut

2009:

Macho Harris- Cut

Moise Fokou- Regressed

2008:

Trevor Laws Non-factor

Bryan Smith- Cut

Quintin Demps- Cut

Jack Ikegwuonu- Cut

Joe Mays- Traded

Andy Studebaker- Cut

2007:

Victor Abiamiri- IR

Stewart Bradley- Walked

CJ Gaddis- Cut

Rashad Barksdale- Cut

2006:

Brodrick Bunkley- Traded

Chris Gocong- Traded

Omar Gaither- Cut

LaJuan Ramsey- Cut

I believe he is also, but it doesn't mean they can't franchise tag him or resign him before teams have a shot.

I don't think that Green Bay tags Flynn. He has 2 career starts in 4 years and you would risk having $14M of dead cap room on your books if he just signs the tag (I would if I were him).

However, the real reason is that would mean that you are letting Finley essentially walk because he is a UFA and you can't tag more than one player. If they transition him, then they can only match the offer. As indicated above, they would not be able to do that given the dead cap money they have on the books.

I think that Flynn is going to walk and GB will be looking at a potential compensatory pick in 2013.

I don't think that Green Bay tags Flynn. He has 2 career starts in 4 years and you would risk having $14M of dead cap room on your books if he just signs the tag (I would if I were him).

However, the real reason is that would mean that you are letting Finley essentially walk because he is a UFA and you can't tag more than one player. If they transition him, then they can only match the offer. As indicated above, they would not be able to do that given the dead cap money they have on the books.

I think that Flynn is going to walk and GB will be looking at a potential compensatory pick in 2013.

Very good points. I hadn't really thought about those. He will become a UFA before the draft, right?

I wonder what kind of compensatory pick the Colts would get if they let Manning walk? How is that determined? I have never understood it, just know for some people you let walk, you get a pick.

Stewbrutx8, thanks for that. I guess I had always thought you drafted most of those defensive players. It seems Phil usually has a good def. So do they get most of them through FA?

Stew - any chance you write for S.B. now? Used to write for Coltsider??

Also - I've heard that Andy Reid's been mostly in charge of the Eagles' draft rooms over the years.

As badly as they've missed on defense, they've hit homeruns on offense (McCoy, Jackson, Maclin, Kolb - what they traded him for).

Also seems that the Eagles are active in every facet of the game - draft (see above), free agency (Samuel/Babin/Asomugha/Vick), and trades (Kolb). Hopefully Grigson allows the Colts to be active in free agency for a change.

Fire Caldwell

Hire Jeff Fisher

Other thing to consider:

That's nicely done.

Very good points. I hadn't really thought about those. He will become a UFA before the draft, right?

I wonder what kind of compensatory pick the Colts would get if they let Manning walk? How is that determined? I have never understood it, just know for some people you let walk, you get a pick.

Stewbrutx8, thanks for that. I guess I had always thought you drafted most of those defensive players. It seems Phil usually has a good def. So do they get most of them through FA?

Determined by some proprietary formula that consists of player salary, playing time, post season honors by that player and the ratio of free agents lost/gained. The Bengals for example will get the highest pick possible for Jonathan Joseph...huge contract, played all year and made the pro bowl.

Yes, the Eagles have been very active in free agency over the last few years. Now I would say one thing has kind of lead to another over the last 5-6 years. Their very poor drafts have forced them to go outside their organization to try to mask all their holes on defense. Which led to the signings of Samuel, Asomugha, Babin, and the trade for DRC most recently.

The Eagles USED to consistently have a good defense. I think a lot of this could be attributed to Jim Johnson though. Since he unfortunately passed away, the defense hasn't been the same.

But I'll stop hijacking this thread to rant about the Eagles. I was just pointing out the Eagles have not drafted well on the defensive side of the ball during the time Grigson has been on the staff. BUT this could have nothing to do with him and he could end up being a great hire. Often times the guys who are not known and hyped up turn out to be the best candidates, instead of just recycling through guys who have failed elsewhere.

Stew - any chance you write for S.B. now? Used to write for Coltsider??

Also - I've heard that Andy Reid's been mostly in charge of the Eagles' draft rooms over the years.

As badly as they've missed on defense, they've hit homeruns on offense (McCoy, Jackson, Maclin, Kolb - what they traded him for).

Also seems that the Eagles are active in every facet of the game - draft (see above), free agency (Samuel/Babin/Asomugha/Vick), and trades (Kolb). Hopefully Grigson allows the Colts to be active in free agency for a change.

No, I am not Stew Blake (had to google him to see who you were referring too). I'm an Eagles fan.

Yes, I think Andy Reid has had a little too much control of the draft over the years. I was just pointing out that their drafts, mainly on the defense side of the ball, have been poor during the time Grigson was there. But this could have absolutely nothing to do with him. The Eagles front office has certainly always been active when they see a chance to improve.

As I said above, Grigson could turn out to be a great hire. He certainly has his work cut out for him with some very tough decisions looming.

Yes, the Eagles have been very active in free agency over the last few years. Now I would say one thing has kind of lead to another over the last 5-6 years. Their very poor drafts have forced them to go outside their organization to try to mask all their holes on defense. Which led to the signings of Samuel, Asomugha, Babin, and the trade for DRC most recently.

The Eagles USED to consistently have a good defense. I think a lot of this could be attributed to Jim Johnson though. Since he left, the defense hasn't been the same.

But I'll stop hijacking this thread to rant about the Eagles. I was just pointing out the Eagles have not drafted well on the defensive side of the ball during the time Grigson has been on the staff. BUT this could have nothing to do with him and he could end up being a great hire. Often times the guys who are not known and hyped up turn out to be the best candidates, instead of just recycling through guys who have failed elsewhere.

NP, helps to learn about the guy from someone that knows that org better, so thanks for all the input. Anytime a team goes through these changes, you never know what is going to happen.

Thanks Shovelheadt. I guess if Manning walked, we could get a high pick for him. I guess that would be something if that were to happen.

No, I am not Stew Blake (had to google him to see who you were referring too). I'm an Eagles fan.

Yes, I think Andy Reid has had a little too much control of the draft over the years. I was just pointing out that their drafts, mainly on the defense side of the ball, have been poor during the time Grigson was there. But this could have absolutely nothing to do with him. The Eagles front office has certainly always been active when they see a chance to improve.

As I said above, Grigson could turn out to be a great hire. He certainly has his work cut out for him with some very tough decisions looming.

Ahh, sorry for the confusion.

Not really sure what to think of this move - since it's hard to tell what he was directly responsible for.

Determined by some proprietary formula that consists of player salary, playing time, post season honors by that player and the ratio of free agents lost/gained. The Bengals for example will get the highest pick possible for Jonathan Joseph...huge contract, played all year and made the pro bowl.

This is correct, but in Joseph's case it is still just a pick at the end of the 3rd round.

Not really sure what to think of this move - since it's hard to tell what he was directly responsible for.

Right. He has never had this type of power before, so its hard to really know what to expect from him. I guess you'll know very soon which direction he is planning to go at head coach at least. My guess is he will fire Cadwell and want to bring in "his guy." No clue who that may be. Hopefully for the Colts sake it's not Marty Morningweg :D . Then the decisions on Manning, Mathis, Wayne, and Saturday all loom.

Right. He has never had this type of power before, so its hard to really know what to expect from him. I guess you'll know very soon which direction he is planning to go at head coach at least. My guess is he will fire Cadwell and want to bring in "his guy." No clue who that may be. Hopefully for the Colts sake it's not Marty Morningweg :D . Then the decisions on Manning, Mathis, Wayne, and Saturday all loom.

The Wilmington News Journal suggests Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg as a head-coaching candidate in Indianapolis.

New Colts GM Ryan Grigson is familiar with Mornhinweg, as they were together in the Eagles' organization from 2004-2011. Grigson and Colts owner Jim Irsay have not yet formally decided Jim Caldwell's fate, but the odds of Caldwell lasting through the front-office transition have to be long. Mornhinweg is a former quarterbacks coach and could be an attractive candidate for a team expected to draft Andrew Luck with the No. 1 pick. Mornhinweg also runs a West Coast-style offense, similar to the system Lucked played in at Stanford. Jan 11 - 3:17 PM

:o :doh: