Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Specific Draft Situation

In posting this, I do so in case you find these kinds of situations interesting...I will ultimately make up my own mind - just trying to be engaging...

In my 0-6 Player Keeper League, I have the 4th pick after all Keepers declared. Through some luck and clever trading/drafting, my Keepers are :

Foster, Rice, Cam, Brees, Dez, Finley.

Through the configuration of the Draft, one dude (who happened to keep zero players) will pull three guys - picks #1-3 - from all remaining Free Agents and Rookies, then I will pick once, then not again for 23 picks, at 7.10, essentially.

His choices are, in my estimation:

Witten, Welker, Sproles, Bradshaw, Richardson, Harvin, Fred Jackson, RGIII, Schaub, 'Burger, Doug Martin, Maclin.

He's rebuilding of course, and needs everything. Meanwhile, my team is well off, save WR...so I have been wracking my brain trying to deduce which 3 he'll grab, and which one I should take in the wake of his selections - it's a cool bit of pressure, because all these players will go before I pick again.

It's an interesting situation to be in, and speaks of the kinds of draft situations/decisions that arise in various Keeper formats.

The Draft is tonight - if you're curious, I would post who he took.

The good news is that he won't take all 3 WRs, so you will get a good one regardless: (1) Welker, (2) Harvin, (3) Maclin...

Though it is hard to say with any real temerity without knowing the ins and outs of your league, I would imagine that swinging for the fences on at least one of the top rookies seems highly likely for the guy with picks 1-3...that would be Richardson by most accounts. Then, I would also imagine that he would be looking to pick up a "right now" contributor, with Welker being the top option of the guys you listed. I think the third pick will depend on his level of trust in either of the the top two rookie QBs (RGIII/Luck)---if he is sold on one of them, then I think those are his three picks. If not, I imagine he would look at Harvin or Big Ben in that spot...For you in the four slot, I would be looking at Welker and Harvin if either get by him (I also like Maclin 2A to Harvins' 2)...The other option I would explore if I was in your position would be to trade Brees (gasp, I know!) for a top flight receiver (and a pick or a second tier receiver as well) that is being kept by someone else...You have the future in Cam and could probably snag a king's ransom for Brees because, well, he's freaking Drew Brees. The Saints turmoil and his lingering contract issues have me believing that now is the time to sell, especially since you have such a stud behind him to fall back on. Good luck!

He should take Richardson, Harvin and then a toss up between Welker and Sproles. You didn't mention if this is PPR but PPR would make Welker and Sproles great choices.

He may of course fall for drafting RG3

In posting this, I do so in case you find these kinds of situations interesting...I will ultimately make up my own mind - just trying to be engaging...

In my 0-6 Player Keeper League, I have the 4th pick after all Keepers declared. Through some luck and clever trading/drafting, my Keepers are :

Foster, Rice, Cam, Brees, Dez, Finley.

Through the configuration of the Draft, one dude (who happened to keep zero players) will pull three guys - picks #1-3 - from all remaining Free Agents and Rookies, then I will pick once, then not again for 23 picks, at 7.10, essentially.

His choices are, in my estimation:

Witten, Welker, Sproles, Bradshaw, Richardson, Harvin, Fred Jackson, RGIII, Schaub, 'Burger, Doug Martin, Maclin.

He's rebuilding of course, and needs everything. Meanwhile, my team is well off, save WR...so I have been wracking my brain trying to deduce which 3 he'll grab, and which one I should take in the wake of his selections - it's a cool bit of pressure, because all these players will go before I pick again.

It's an interesting situation to be in, and speaks of the kinds of draft situations/decisions that arise in various Keeper formats.

The Draft is tonight - if you're curious, I would post who he took.

The real underlying question is, are you going to be able to operate a computer after 2 drafts? That would have me good and sloshy ready for a nap. And you pick last tonight. That is a rough one. Well if you pick Benson as your first pick we will know its because you have the beer goggles on.

Now that you've drafted EvilGenius, how'd his 1st 3 picks go & which direction did you go in response to his selections?

which direction did you go in response to his selections?

Let's call the rival Owner Jimmy.

With his first three, Jimmy picked up Welker, Sproles and Trent Richardson

Then, I went with Bradshaw as my RB#3

Jimmy then followed with Witten.

Another Owner with two in the 4th took Doug Martin and Torrey Smith. This filled in the 4th round against 10 Keepers.

The 5th, complete with Keepers[K] went K, Fred Jackson, Tamme :shocking:, RGIII, Jimmy took Harvin, Colston, K,K, Maclin, K (me), K, K.

Funny, I was just hoping that Jimmy didn't get Harvin...and then he did, falling into his hands like a winning lottery ticket floating on the wind. :dunno:

Why the hell did u take bradshaw over harvin. You were talking about being thin at WR.

Why the hell did u take bradshaw over harvin. You were talking about being thin at WR.

Is this a PPR league? Haven't seen that information yet. Bradshaw was probably better value assuming you start up to 3 RB's, but considering his bigger need at WR and no pick until the 7th round, Harvin would of probably made sense. Although I'd assume Brees or Cam Newton are on the trade block for a big time WR. I would of probably tried to trade one of them before the draft so I had a clearer picture of how I should attack my first pick. I also would think it would be easier to do before the draft than after. :dunno:

With only Dez as your WR1, I would've taken Harvin or Maclin way before Bradshaw. If I was to select a running back in your slot, I would've taken Doug Martin ahead of Bradshaw as well. I know he's only a rookie & has Blount to contend with but I like his overall situation in a year or two.

sorry i didnt mean to sound like a ###### saying "why the hell" but i was completely shocked based on your initial post that you didn't jump to grab Harvin. And you also talk about hoping Harvin wouldnt slip to that owner in the 5th. With Foster and Rice in tow, did you really need Bradshaw? I hope a trade is in the works for a WR

Seems like a great opportunity missed, taking Bradshaw over Harvin. I'd take Harvin over Bradshaw even if I had 1 RB and 2 WRs already, let alone having 2 RBs and 1 WR as you did. Then again, who knows what Bradshaw will do without Jacobs around, even if the Giants drafted David Wilson. Harvin's just a superior talent. I'm having a hard time keeping Julio over him.

Let's call the rival Owner Jimmy.

With his first three, Jimmy picked up Welker, Sproles and Trent Richardson

Then, I went with Bradshaw as my RB#3

Jimmy then followed with Witten.

Another Owner with two in the 4th took Doug Martin and Torrey Smith. This filled in the 4th round against 10 Keepers.

The 5th, complete with Keepers[K] went K, Fred Jackson, Tamme :shocking:, RGIII, Jimmy took Harvin, Colston, K,K, Maclin, K (me), K, K.

Funny, I was just hoping that Jimmy didn't get Harvin...and then he did, falling into his hands like a winning lottery ticket floating on the wind. :dunno:

Jimmy did very much what I expected, and even avoided the trappings of taking an unproven rookie QB, instead taking three guys who should contribute right now in Welker, Sproles and Richardson. That he added Witten was a nice selection, but his picking up of Harvin at that point was an absolute steal...very nicely done by a guy who decided not to keep anyone.

As for your selection, I am puzzled and curious to hear why you decided to select Bradshaw there. IMO, for starters, the obvious strength of your team is RB and Qb, with two of the top 5/6 at both positions. You also have a single receiver rostered in Bryant, who, while rife with potential, is not a definite by any means. Secondly, forgetting about the state of your roster, taking a back who has been plagued by bad feet, has only had one "starter" worthy season in his five played (2010), and whose team used a first round pick on a running back seems to be a gamble that you may not have needed to take at that point. I am a big fan of the way Bradshaw runs (angry) but he scares the bejeezus out of me because of his frequent nagging injuries...so...what was the deciding factors for you in making the Bradshaw selection over say a Harvin or Maclin?

Once can only assume that he is trading a QB for a WR... Otherwise, it makes no sense not to take Harvin or Maclin.

Once can only assume that he is trading a QB for a WR... Otherwise, it makes no sense not to take Harvin or Maclin.

Couple things...

1) This is a 2QB league, essentially, with QBs eligible in one of the two FLEX slots.

So, I won't be trading either Cam or Brees unless I am out of contention and I start thinking about next year's keepers.

2) Two things made me fack it up...i) the sheer number of RBs kept. I felt it was my (only) chance to get an RB#2 in the RB#3 position, and a guy I will certainly FLEX. and ii) the depth at WR this year made me overconfident that I could get a decent starter in the 7th. We start 1, 2, 2, 1, K, D and 2 Flex.

Admittedly, I am not happy in retrospect - I should have taken Harvin or Maclin amd went RB or BPA in the 7th.

Better or Worse, my PPR Keeper team looks like this:

Brees, Cam, Moore

Foster, Rice, Bradshaw, Daniel Thomas, Jaquizz, Kevin Smith

Dez, Britt, Titus Young, Reggie Wayne, Heyward-Bey, Baldwin

Finley, Owen Daniels, Dickson

FA D/ST and K to come

So sure, I facked it up, but not all that bad.

Couple things...

1) This is a 2QB league, essentially, with QBs eligible in one of the two FLEX slots.

So, I won't be trading either Cam or Brees unless I am out of contention and I start thinking about next year's keepers.

2) Two things made me fack it up...i) the sheer number of RBs kept. I felt it was my (only) chance to get an RB#2 in the RB#3 position, and a guy I will certainly FLEX. and ii) the depth at WR this year made me overconfident that I could get a decent starter in the 7th. We start 1, 2, 2, 1, K, D and 2 Flex.

Admittedly, I am not happy in retrospect - I should have taken Harvin or Maclin amd went RB or BPA in the 7th.

Better or Worse, my PPR Keeper team looks like this:

Brees, Cam, Moore

Foster, Rice, Bradshaw, Daniel Thomas, Jaquizz, Kevin Smith

Dez, Britt, Titus Young, Reggie Wayne, Heyward-Bey, Baldwin

Finley, Owen Daniels, Dickson

FA D/ST and K to come

So sure, I facked it up, but not all that bad.

2 QB league explains A LOT. Obviously Brees and Cam aren't going anywhere. Brees, Cam, Foster, and Rice is pretty ridiculous. While I'd prefer Harvin in the flex over Bradshaw in PPR leagues, you still HAVE to be the favorite to the win the league with the keepers you had. Britt definitely has a high ceiling as your 7th round pick and WR2.

well you didnt mention getting Britt in the 7th and you didnt mention getting DHB, a guy I am high on this year. You also didn't mention it being only 2 Wr mandatory.

so with all that known, I now like the Bradshaw selection.

a little info can go a long way.

but I now have a new question. What kind of league do you play in where you can get Britt in the 7th round of a 6 player keeper? I know its a 0-6 keeper but Britt is a 5th-6th rounder in a regular redraft. Plus you managed to get Daniel Thomas, DHB and Reggie Wayne AFTER the 7th? Obligatory "can i join your league" comment. :lol:

well you didnt mention getting Britt in the 7th and you didnt mention getting DHB, a guy I am high on this year. You also didn't mention it being only 2 Wr mandatory.

so with all that known, I now like the Bradshaw selection.

a little info can go a long way.

but I now have a new question. What kind of league do you play in where you can get Britt in the 7th round of a 6 player keeper? I know its a 0-6 keeper but Britt is a 5th-6th rounder in a regular redraft. Plus you managed to get Daniel Thomas, DHB and Reggie Wayne AFTER the 7th? Obligatory "can i join your league" comment. :lol:

Basically, everything he said :thumbsup: ...love what you did taking some real boom or bust guys at receiver to go along with your rock solid Qb/Rb corps...If Britt or DHB (or Young, who could put up real nice numbers opposite Calvin and Wayne, as the primary outside threat for Luck in garbage time losses) can hit, then you should be a lock for a Superbowl run...

you should be a lock for a Superbowl run...

Nothing is for sure in Fantasy. But I think I make the playoffs for sure, barring an Injury catastrophe.

And once your in the dance, you can win.

I would like to hear about your own draft conundrums - I will start a new thread, I think.

Nothing is for sure in Fantasy. But I think I make the playoffs for sure, barring an Injury catastrophe.

And once your in the dance, you can win.

I would like to hear about your own draft conundrums - I will start a new thread, I think.

Well im bored....so my only draft conundrum (I am not currently in a dynasty league- maybe next year) is a keeper decision between Larry Fitzgerald and Cam Newton. It's a 10 team 2 keeper league. No penalties for keepers other than $10 additional (added to $100 buyin) every year they are kept after Year 2. $20 in Year 4, $30 in year 5, etc. Fitz would cost me $10 this year but I'm not worried about that. Must keep 2. I think it's kind of stupid but some people wanted to switch to it several years ago. My other keeper is Lesean McCoy. It's a PPR league with 6 point all TD's. 1 point 30 yards passing, 1 point 12 yards rush/rec, -2 turnovers. Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, RB/WR, WR/TE, K, and 3 IDP. Keepers must be declared before the draft order is determined by random draw.

The following players will most likely be kept:

Foster-Rice

CJ2K-Rodgers

Welker-FJax

Austin-Rivers

Brady-A.Johnson

Gronk-Peterson/Charles

Graham-Forte/Sproles

MJD-Calvin

Brees-Mathews

McCoy- ?

Obviously some teams are in MUCH better keeper shape than others. Somehow the team with Foster/Rice missed the playoffs last season (drafted Peyton and Dallas Clark).

Your league sounds a hella lot like my deep keeper. The one piece of info I'm missing is salary cap and/or reasons for not being kept -- it's possible that guys like Welker would be available in such a format without such penalties, but unlikely.

That being said, my league does have a cap and a money hit based on years kept, and I'm thinking of keeping MJD, Brees, and AJ Green for the first 3 rounds. I could keep Bradshaw for a 4th rounder, but I don't share your optimism on him. With your keepers, I'd have loaded up on rookies and/or high-potential guys (like Britt, which you did). But I'm just not feeling the Bradshaw love yet. Luckily I don't need to decide until late August. :cheers: