Sign in to follow this  
vegassandwich227

10 team league, QB thoughts

I'm joining a 10teamer for the first time in quite a while. You start 1 QB.

I'm considering that there are 3 tiers for starting QB's:

1. Rodgers, Brady, Brees

2. Stafford, Newton, Vick

3. Eli, Romo, Rivers, Ryan (and maybe Manning).

If I don't grab a QB in Tier1 or 2, I'm pretty much indifferent between Eli, Romo, Rivers, and Ryan...So, here's what I'm wondering: how late can I wait to grab one of those QB's assuming I just postpone drafting a QB. Can I wait til round 9 to get Ryan or Rivers (assuming those will be last to go off board), because I'd assume I could and then I could draft my RB3 and WR4 a round earlier each? Can I wait even later? How early has anyone seen people drafting their backup QBs? I assume the most likely candidates to backup QBs early are those drafting Vick and Manning (or RG3).

Tier 1- rd 1

Tier 2- rd 2

Tier 3- rds 5 & 6

I might consider Stafford the only true rd 2 QB worth taking. Vick you could wait until round 3. Honestly if I don't get a Tier 1 I'm probably waiting for rounds 5-6 and taking back to back qbs. Please answer mine on keeper question.

1. Rodgers, Brady, Brees

If I don't grab a QB in Tier1 or 2, I'm pretty much indifferent between Eli, Romo, Rivers, and Ryan...So, here's what I'm wondering: how late can I wait to grab one of those QB's assuming I just postpone drafting a QB. Can I wait til round 9 to get Ryan or Rivers (assuming those will be last to go off board), because I'd assume I could and then I could draft my RB3 and WR4 a round earlier each? Can I wait even later? How early has anyone seen people drafting their backup QBs? I assume the most likely candidates to backup QBs early are those drafting Vick and Manning (or RG3).

In a 10 teamer, talent is more concentrated. So if you bypass a QB early, make sure you have one targeted later and don't get too cute drafting him. A few years ago, I had Schaub in mind as my QB1. Did a great job loading up on talent in the early part of the draft: MJD, Wayne, Rice, Santonio.....except some dude grabbed Schaub in the 8th as his QB2 after having drafted Rivers in the 4th. :doh: I got stuck playing the matchups with Palmer and Garrard....which didn't turn out well.

My league awards 6pts all TDs, so QBs fly off the board quickly. I'm usually the last to take a QB, but I will never get greedy and wait too long again.

1. Rodgers, Brady, Brees

I play in a 10 teamer. I'd say you make sure you pick a QB before everyone else has finalized their starting roster (not including defense/kicker since a lot of guys wait on those). In other words you'd better pick a QB before the 9th round. Reason is guys will go after a backup QB quicker than some other spots. Get it?

YWIA

Thanks. Sounds like grab a QB by rd 8. I'd assume aggression may need to be upped if someone takes Manning or RG3 early, since they're the most likely owners to draft their 2nd qb early, along with the Vick owner.

Thanks. Sounds like grab a QB by rd 8. I'd assume aggression may need to be upped if someone takes Manning or RG3 early, since they're the most likely owners to draft their 2nd qb early, along with the Vick owner.

You've got to figure that the guy who takes Vick or Stafford may want to invest in a solid backup. Rd 8 sounds good to me.

In a 10 teamer, talent is more concentrated. So if you bypass a QB early, make sure you have one targeted later and don't get too cute drafting him. A few years ago, I had Schaub in mind as my QB1. Did a great job loading up on talent in the early part of the draft: MJD, Wayne, Rice, Santonio.....except some dude grabbed Schaub in the 8th as his QB2 after having drafted Rivers in the 4th. :doh: I got stuck playing the matchups with Palmer and Garrard....which didn't turn out well.

My league awards 6pts all TDs, so QBs fly off the board quickly. I'm usually the last to take a QB, but I will never get greedy and wait too long again.

Yep--it's all about tendencies in your league. In 10-team leagues, some players are just too appealing. If 9 are off the board, I can totally see someone grabbing Peyton or Eli for the upside earlier than you might think they should go.

This happens even in my 14-team keeper league. We generally have around 6-8 QBs kept, and there's always one guy who tends to load up on RB/WR and wait, wait, wait on QB. Of course, when some folks see a potential prospect out there as a backup in the 8th round, things can get problematic. Last year the guy ended up with Flacco as his starter because he waited one round too many.

Assuming TDs are 4pts for QBs.

If you want ARod/Brady/Brees/Stafford - all will be gone by mid 2nd round.

Vick/Ryan/Romo/Eli/Rivers are usually gone by mid to late 6th.

7+ Rounds = Big Ben or the like being your #1.

Your choice.

:dunno: