Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

Strategy Evaluation #2 pick 14 Team League With Unique Lineups

I've got what I consider my most important draft this weekend. My 14 team in person draft with a bunch of home friends. This is the leagues 3rd year in existence I am reigning back 2 back champ looking for a 3 peat.

This year I have drafted from the 9th and 10th spots, along with an auction, and am thrilled to lock down a top pick, simply b/c I can finally go into my draft knowing who my first round pick is going to be and have a good idea of my 2/3 and 4/5 turns.

I wanted to discuss initial pre draft targets and thought processes and get your guys input on my initial draft strategies. I also wanted advice on which depth players to target due to my unique lineup requirements. Hopefully this preparation process proves insightful for others getting ready to draft.

Lineups:

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, D, IR, BN, BN, BN, BN

Scoring: 6 points per TD pass, .1 PPR

** My initial thoughts on flex requirements.....all things being equal I am going to want a WR at W/T and ideally a quality third RB at W/R but with this being a passing league, it's very possible that a WR could be just as valuable there.

** Given the short bench, only 4 spots, and 6 points passing TDs, I think there is an advantage to getting a top QB that you can start weekly. My thinking is it might be tough to always carry a QB 2 when trying to fill byes and I'd rather have a bunch of rbs/wrs on my bench.

Opening pick ideas:

1. Rice/Foster

2. SJax/Martin/Fred Jax

3. Julio/Nicks/Marshall ** Julio usually top rated player left so I think he will be gone.

4. Decker/Dez/Maclin

5. Ryan/Vick/Eli *** In the mocks I've done those qbs are often gone by 4/5.

*** If Julio is gone I might take Ryan in the 3rd and look to double up on WR in 4/5. Typically I've been finding Ryan/Eli/Vick gone by that point but WRs like Decker, Dez, Maclin, ect that I might like almost just as much as taking Nicks/Marshall in the third. I might rather Ryan/Dez than Romo/Marshall.

My opening team is likely to be either: Rice, Sjax, Julio, Decker, ** Pray QB I like or Hernandez is there........ or Rice, Sjax, Ryan, Decker, Dez (WR/WR)

I'm currently feeling a bit better about 'reaching' for a QB like Ryan in the third, then putting it to chance...even though I might end up with a better team if I did.

Please chime in with any thoughts, in regards to my 3rd round pick especially, the importance of a top QB in a 6 points td league with 14 team league with a short bench and what bench players to target in general.

Mock teams from Yahoo.

1. Foster

2. Sjax

3. Ryan- Julio gone......Nicks/Marshall there

4. E. Decker

5. S. Johnson .....Best QBs at 4/5 were Romo/Rivers....Vick gone too

6. Hillis/Ridley

7. R. Wayne/DHB

I just drafted this same team twice. These targets are pretty consistently falling here if I choose to go this route.

Think I'm on the right path?

QB: Ryan

RB: Foster

RB: S Jax

RB: Decker

RB: Stevie

W/R: Hillis

W/T: Wayne

TE:

Basically what I ended up with in a 12 team picking at #2.

1 McCoy

2 White

3 Jackson

4 Rivers

5 Colston

6 R. Bush

7 Bowe

8 Tate - to screw over the team with the #1 pick.

9 Gonzalez - not a fan but slim pickins at that point

10 D Thomas

11 backups, etc after that.

Couple more mocks.

1. Foster

2. Matthews

3. Sjax

4. Decker

5. Stevie

6. Peyton?! -Cutler/Ben more likely

I really like what the #1 team did mocking too.

1. Rice

2. Marshall

3. T Rich

4. Dez

5. Hernandez

6. Ben

Someone tell me something. My strategy blows. I'm over thinking it. Something.

Bueller?

I play in a league with almost exactly the same settings. I drafted from the #1spot on Aug 19. Here is how my draft went.

Rd 1 Foster

Rd 2 Julio- Nicks and Marshall were gone as well as my rb 2s

Rd 3 AJ Green - rb2s gone and I like target hogs

Rd 4 Eli- wanted a good QB and he was last QB1 i wanted Vick and Ryan went mid round 4

Rd 5. Ridley- did not like it then do not like it now.

Running backs went quicker than expected in the first 3 rounds. 2 of the 14 went rb rb rb. 7 quarterbacks went in the first 4 rounds. First 5 went in rounds 1 and 2. No QBs in 3 rd and 3 in rd 4. 7 tight ends went in rounds 1-4. That is all I can give of the top of my head. Hope it helps.

I've got what I consider my most important draft this weekend. My 14 team in person draft with a bunch of home friends. This is the leagues 3rd year in existence I am reigning back 2 back champ looking for a 3 peat.

This year I have drafted from the 9th and 10th spots, along with an auction, and am thrilled to lock down a top pick, simply b/c I can finally go into my draft knowing who my first round pick is going to be and have a good idea of my 2/3 and 4/5 turns.

I wanted to discuss initial pre draft targets and thought processes and get your guys input on my initial draft strategies. I also wanted advice on which depth players to target due to my unique lineup requirements. Hopefully this preparation process proves insightful for others getting ready to draft.

Lineups:

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, D, IR, BN, BN, BN, BN

Scoring: 6 points per TD pass, .1 PPR

** My initial thoughts on flex requirements.....all things being equal I am going to want a WR at W/T and ideally a quality third RB at W/R but with this being a passing league, it's very possible that a WR could be just as valuable there.

** Given the short bench, only 4 spots, and 6 points passing TDs, I think there is an advantage to getting a top QB that you can start weekly. My thinking is it might be tough to always carry a QB 2 when trying to fill byes and I'd rather have a bunch of rbs/wrs on my bench.

Opening pick ideas:

1. Rice/Foster

2. SJax/Martin/Fred Jax

3. Julio/Nicks/Marshall ** Julio usually top rated player left so I think he will be gone.

4. Decker/Dez/Maclin

5. Ryan/Vick/Eli *** In the mocks I've done those qbs are often gone by 4/5.

*** If Julio is gone I might take Ryan in the 3rd and look to double up on WR in 4/5. Typically I've been finding Ryan/Eli/Vick gone by that point but WRs like Decker, Dez, Maclin, ect that I might like almost just as much as taking Nicks/Marshall in the third. I might rather Ryan/Dez than Romo/Marshall.

My opening team is likely to be either: Rice, Sjax, Julio, Decker, ** Pray QB I like or Hernandez is there........ or Rice, Sjax, Ryan, Decker, Dez (WR/WR)

I'm currently feeling a bit better about 'reaching' for a QB like Ryan in the third, then putting it to chance...even though I might end up with a better team if I did.

Please chime in with any thoughts, in regards to my 3rd round pick especially, the importance of a top QB in a 6 points td league with 14 team league with a short bench and what bench players to target in general.

As far as your targets go, Martin, Nicks, Julio, and Decker have jumped up the boards since I drafted. I like your strategy. Being a 2 time defending champ I think your strategy is working well. Keep the faith!

I gave a lot of thought to the #1 pick, and decided with me it would be Ray Rice every time. My reasoning is that I'd feel I would have to handcuff my top pick to protect his value. In a 12 teamer, I felt I would have to use the valuable 4/turn to get Tate or chance losing him. IMO that is just too high of a price to pay for insurance. With Ray Ray I'm 95% sure that his handcuff would be Bobby Rainey (not Bernard Pierce - T don't se this as even a real RBBC) who I could pick up at the tail end of my draft.

Beyond that, I think your targets are fine. I fully realize that you have much less than a 50% chance of snagging Ryan if you don't do it at the 2/3 turn. I would probably focus on Cutler at least a full turn later (4/5). So I'd concentrate on BPA at 2/3 and take the best QB available at 4/5. I think you would have a stronger team that way, and you could be pleasantly surprised if a Ryan or a Vick falls there. Even if not, in my mind Cutler or Eli is a good consolation prize at that stage.

For later round targets, see my post on Target Drafting further down the page. There I also drafted from the 1st spot, only in a 12 teamer.

I gave a lot of thought to the #1 pick, and decided with me it would be Ray Rice every time. My reasoning is that I'd feel I would have to handcuff my top pick to protect his value. In a 12 teamer, I felt I would have to use the valuable 4/turn to get Tate or chance losing him. IMO that is just too high of a price to pay for insurance. With Ray Ray I'm 95% sure that his handcuff would be Bobby Rainey (not Bernard Pierce - T don't se this as even a real RBBC) who I could pick up at the tail end of my draft.

Beyond that, I think your targets are fine. I fully realize that you have much less than a 50% chance of snagging Ryan if you don't do it at the 2/3 turn. I would probably focus on Cutler at least a full turn later (4/5). So I'd concentrate on BPA at 2/3 and take the best QB available at 4/5. I think you would have a stronger team that way, and you could be pleasantly surprised if a Ryan or a Vick falls there. Even if not, in my mind Cutler or Eli is a good consolation prize at that stage.

Thanks for the input. Good to see your thought process on the first pick. I think I've given up the Ryan idea. I'm either gonna go RB-RB-WR or QB-RB-RB I've seen been toying around with a new strategy since I've been liking the rbs in my mocks at 2/3 and wrs at 4/5 and it's 6 point for QB tds.

Here is my favorite mock using it:

1. Rodgers

2. Sjax

3. D. Martin

4. Dez

5. Decker

Get a stud QB, 2 running backs and 2 wrs I like. I'm thinking more and more about this.

I'm back. I hope no one minds my glorified 'figure out my draft strategy' thread.

Hopefully there's something to gain from my checking out my prep work....

I did a bit of research on the playoff teams from the past 2 years. I really wanted to see what % of teams had one of those qbs.

1. Stafford/Graham, McFadden/Forte

2. Romo/Matthews/AP

3. Eli, Rice, Cruz, Jordy

4. Rodgers, Gore, LRob, S. Smith

5. Brees, White, Fjax

6. Brady, Turner, Dez, A Brown

Brady, Brees, Rodgers teams all made the playoffs. Eli/Romo/Stafford too.

2010 (Less relevant but relevant)

1. Kitna/S. Hill, Cutler/Freeman, CJ2k, Calvin/White

2. Rivers-Gates, Gronk

3. Ryan, Foster, MJD

4. Brees, McFadden

5. Vick, Charles

6. Peyton, Peterson

I'd say 2 teams got in without elite QB play. So out of 12 playoff teams over the past 2 years I'd say 10 had damn good to Elite QB play.

I also took a look at last years draft results. No qbs went in the first round last year but 10- yes 10- went in 2/3. That was Vick/Rodgers through Big Ben. I took Stafford last year as the 11th qb in the early 4th.

My worry is that if I wait on QB, I might be entirely out of the Ryan/Eli guys by round 2/3....and possibly out of the Peyton/Rivers/Romo guys by 4/5.

Kind of a weird spot b/c 2/3 is almost too soon to take Ryan/Eli but way to early for Peyton types IMO. If I wait till 4/5 I could end up starting Cutler and my season could be over before it gets started.

All of this has me strongly considering going Rodgers and getting that elite point producer weekly, and taking the hit on Rice to say Sjax/Doug Martin in 2/3, followed by WRS in 4/5.

I'm back. I hope no one minds my glorified 'figure out my draft strategy' thread.

I did a bit of research on the playoff teams from the past 2 years. I really wanted to see what % of teams had one of those qbs.

2. Romo/Matthews/AP

5. Brees, White, Fjax

2. Rivers-Gates, Gronk

3. Ryan, Foster, MJD

4. Brees, McFadden

5. Vick, Charles

6. Peyton, Peterson

I'd say 2 teams got in without elite QB play. So out of 12 playoff teams over the past 2 years I'd say 10 had damn good to Elite QB play.

I also took a look at last years draft results. No qbs went in the first round last year but 10- yes 10- went in 2/3. That was Vick/Rodgers through Big Ben. I took Stafford last year as the 11th qb in the early 4th.

My worry is that if I wait on QB, I might be entirely out of the Ryan/Eli guys by round 2/3....and possibly out of the Peyton/Rivers/Romo guys by 4/5.

Kind of a weird spot b/c 2/3 is almost too soon to take Ryan/Eli but way to early for Peyton types IMO. If I wait till 4/5 I could end up starting Cutler and my season could be over before it gets started.

All of this has me strongly considering going Rodgers and getting that elite point producer weekly, and taking the hit on Rice to say Sjax/Doug Martin in 2/3, followed by WRS in 4/5.

I also thought about taking Rogers at #1 for a liitle bit. The only reason I did not is there is a small chance you can get a top 5 QB at the 2/3 turn. There is no chance you will get a top 5 rb at the 2/3 turn. I missed on Cam by 1pick and Brees by 3 picks. And that is with Nicks, Marshall, Sjax, and Martin going mid second rd.

I already have a thread about this, but would u guys consider Cam elite in that format? If so, at 2, he's been there from what I see. If Ur willing to take a risk on him and hope he produces like a 2nd rounder should (over an elite wr, which in ppr is a siZeable risk IMO), grab one of the big 3, cam, then the best wr avail after that? Seems like it could work if cam can pull off what he did last year.

The Rodgers teams ranks out better on Football guys:

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Fitzpatrick

RB: Doug Martin, Fred Jackson, Stevan Ridley, Pierre Thomas

WR: Torrey Smith, Antonio Brown, Reggie Wayne, Titus Young

TE: Greg Olsen, Kyle Rudolph

PK: Nick Folk

TD: Seattle Seahawks

Overview:

We think you're looking good at quarterback and running back. Your squad is therefore easy for us to like despite a bit of weakness at the receiver position. But as weaknesses go, this is one is survivable. It's usually relatively easy to find fill-in guys on a weekly basis until a better player emerges during the season. As long as you stay on top of things inseason, you should be the league favorite or very close to it.

Players we particularly like on this team include Stevan Ridley, Kyle Rudolph, Pierre Thomas, and Titus Young. We have all these guys ranked ahead of where they are typically being drafted.

Bottom line:

With great inseason management, we think you have about a 90 percent chance of making the playoffs.

With good inseason management, we think you have about a 85 percent chance of making the playoffs.

With average inseason management, we think you have a 74 percent chance of making the playoffs.

QB: Tony Romo, Ryan Fitzpatrick

RB: Ray Rice, Fred Jackson, Stevan Ridley, Pierre Thomas

WR: Jordy Nelson, Torrey Smith, Reggie Wayne, Titus Young

TE: Greg Olsen, Kyle Rudolph

PK: Nick Folk

TD: Seattle Seahawks

Overview:

Old school!

Make no mistake about it: this team is about strength at the running back position. And we think it will be among the top teams in the league. Somewhere Emmitt Smith is smiling.

Nonetheless, we'd be remiss if we didn't at least mention the relative lack of strength at quarterback and receiver. These are usually survivable weaknesses, but we'd feel better if we knew you were committed to zealously scouring the waiver wire for this year's emergent players at QB and WR. Getting a breakout player at one or both of those positions would take your already-good team to the next level.

Players we particularly like on this team include Torrey Smith, Stevan Ridley, Kyle Rudolph, and Titus Young. We have all these guys ranked ahead of where they are typically being drafted.

Bottom line:

With great inseason management, we think you have about a 75 percent chance of making the playoffs.

With good inseason management, we think you have about a 65 percent chance of making the playoffs.

With average inseason management, we think you have a 50 percent chance of making the playoffs.

This is what you do:

1. Rodgers/Brady

2. AJ Green/Percy Harvin

3. Percy Harvin/Jordy Nelson/Victor Cruz/Aaron Hernandez

4. Aaron Hernandez/Antonio Brown/Eric Decker/Demaryius Thomas/Jeremy Maclin

5. Antonio Brown/Peyton Hillis/Eric Decker/Torrey Smith

6. Torrey Smith/Deangelo Williams/J Stewart(injury?/Best RB

7. Jonathan Stewart(pair w/ DWill, if you get him?)/David Wilson

8. David Wilson/Kendall Hunter/Jacquizz Rodgers/Randall Cobb/Lance Moore

9. Randall Cobb/Lance Moore

10. Kendall Hunter(if you want to risk trying to get him here, you could take Jacquizz Rodgers over him in round 8)/Jared Cook/Kyle Rudolph/Greg Olsen

11. Kyle Rudolph/Greg Olsen (definitely, if Hernandez doesn't fall to you in 4th, and maybe even if you got Hernandez; you can start 2 TEs, and you're taking at least one, if not two high upside TEs off the board)

12. Seattle D/Buffalo D

13. Russel Wilson/Alex Green/Christian Ponder

14. Buffalo D/Alex Green/Christian Ponder, if no Wilson/Lamar Miller

15. K

You can thank me later.

I know this is a very 'look at me' help thread but hopefully there is something to gain by my ramblings.

I've decided to go Rice with the #2 pick. Someone mentioned to me that it's easier to find QB 1 stats later in the draft than RB 1 and I agree.

My targets for my first 3 picks are:

1. Foster/Rice

2. Julio/Ryan//Fred Jax/Sjax/Martin

3. Jordy/White/Nicks/Frejd Jax/Sjax/Martin

I will leave either with: Rice/Martin/Nicks or Rice/Fjax/Ryan

** My biggest draft day decision is whether to take Ryan, 6 points passing, at the 2/3 turn as I originally envisioned. I expect Ryan to come close to repeating his second half last year, which was about 2,300 18, so I expect 4,6000 and 35 out of him. In a 6 points passing league I think I am better banking on:

Ryan and 2 of : Decker/D. Thomas, Stevie, A. Brown, Torrey

than

Romo/Rivers/Peyton and : Nicks + D. Thomaas/Decker/Stevie/A. Brown/Torrey.

This isn't a PPR league so a guy like Fitz only outscored Nate Washington last year by 2.8 points a game.

I think the Ryan upgrade, is worth whatever small loss I may have at receiver.

Pretty thrilled with my first 5 picks and the total squad.

1.2 R. Rice

2.12 Mathews

3.2 M. Ryan

4.12 P. Harvin

5.2 E. Decker

Ended up adding D. Will and R. Jennings to fill in for Matthews early. Torrey Smith as a WR 3/Flex.

Gonna need a TE upgrade... Got stuck with Cook/O. Daniels at the sacrifice of adding D. Moore. Minor regret but I didn't see 3 TE2s going off the board late...they will be dropped soon...

In my drunkish state late, I really think there is value in looking over league history. I suspected that QBs were gonna go early and this draft and I believe 7 went off the board before I took Ryan at 3.2..... (Top 5 plus both Mannings)....while only 2 WRS were gone (Calvin/Julio). Personally I think that's actually pretty smart drafting...and I took advantage by grabbing Ryan....knowing that I would get a choice of WRs I liked in 4/5.

Pretty thrilled with my first 5 picks and the total squad.

1.2 R. Rice

2.12 Mathews

3.2 M. Ryan

4.12 P. Harvin

5.2 E. Decker

Ended up adding D. Will and R. Jennings to fill in for Matthews early. Torrey Smith as a WR 3/Flex.

Gonna need a TE upgrade... Got stuck with Cook/G. Olsen at the sacrifice of adding D. Moore. Minor regret but I didn't see 3 TE2s going off the board late...they will be dropped soon...

In my drunkish state late, I really think there is value in looking over league history. I suspected that QBs were gonna go early and this draft and I believe 7 went off the board before I took Ryan at 3.2..... (Top 5 plus both Mannings)....while only 2 WRS were gone (Calvin/Julio). Personally I think that's actually pretty smart drafting...and I took advantage by grabbing Ryan....knowing that I would get a choice of WRs I liked in 4/5.

Matt you are killing me! In a 12 teamer drafting today with same format 6 PTs all tds and ppr from two spot. Don't know If I should also pull trigger on ryan or go with a great value pick there like Martin or nicks. Dammit!

Matt you are killing me! In a 12 teamer drafting today with same format 6 PTs all tds and ppr from two spot. Don't know If I should also pull trigger on ryan or go with a great value pick there like Martin or nicks. Dammit!

Really tough to say. My draft was a 14 teamer, so it's a bit different, but by my 2nd round pick running backs were dried up. I had a choice of Mathews, Martin and Bradshaw. After that you had the R. Bush, S. Greene, McGahee type guys.

I either way you play it I think it's important to get 2 running backs in your first 4 rounds, if not first 2 or 3, since you are at the turn and picking at the end of the 4th. My first 3 picks would be RB/RB/QB or RB/RB/WR....

I am all in on Ryan. I expect him to repeat his 2nd half last year, and if all goes well end up around 4,600 34 + and would certainly consider him there.

If you think you have a shot at Vick/Eli/Romo/Rivers/Peyton at 4/5, passing and grabbing a more quality WR at 2/3 could make sense. If Julio is there I take him.

Depending upon how the draft unfolds, I think there are enough quality WRS that you can find starters later. This is even more true for me in a PPR where Amendola type guys can emerge.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Really tough to say. My draft was a 14 teamer, so it's a bit different, but by my 2nd round pick running backs were dried up. I had a choice of Mathews, Martin and Bradshaw. After that you had the R. Bush, S. Greene, McGahee type guys.

I either way you play it I think it's important to get 2 running backs in your first 4 rounds, if not first 2 or 3, since you are at the turn and picking at the end of the 4th. My first 3 picks would be RB/RB/QB or RB/RB/WR....

I am all in on Ryan. I expect him to repeat his 2nd half last year, and if all goes well end up around 4,600 34 + and would certainly consider him there.

If you think you have a shot at Vick/Eli/Romo/Rivers/Peyton at 4/5, passing and grabbing a more quality WR at 2/3 could make sense. If Julio is there I take him.

Depending upon how the draft unfolds, I think there are enough quality WRS that you can find starters later. This is even more true for me in a PPR where Amendola type guys can emerge.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Definitely helps thanks for the input. I may actually go rb rb rb if I can get guys like Mathews and martin- guaranteed starters getting a lot of touches. Then , Bc wr are deep, get value later. We can start a flex.

2. Romo/Matthews/AP

5. Brees, White, Fjax

2. Rivers-Gates, Gronk

3. Ryan, Foster, MJD

4. Brees, McFadden

5. Vick, Charles

6. Peyton, Peterson

Studying this piece of league history was the most important draft prep I did.

Knowing that 10 and 11 qbs had gone off the board in previous drafts by my 4.2 round pick.....and seeing the top 5 + both Manning off the board by the end of the 2nd round, made my decision to go M. Ryan at 3.2 easy.

I got my qb in Ryan and still got 3 WRS I love. Harvin, Decker, T. Smith with D. Moore on the bench.