Sign in to follow this  
giraldi02

Top Players Ever to be Cut?

Anyone know if there's any type of list somewhere? I know off the top of my head Welker getting cut by San Diego, James Harrison was on the practice squad once or twice I think...but anyone have any others? Just wondering as some of the rosters are going to have some turnover soon and while it might not be too relevant fantasy-wise I'm just curious...

There's also relativity at play. A guy getting cut then going on to be great is one thing, a guy already playing great getting cut is another.

Lloyd was a bum in wash. Merriwether cut from the pats after probowl was a bigger surprise.

Merriweather never should have been selected to the Pro Bowl to begin with and I'm sure most Pats fans who watched him that year would agree.

Anyone know if there's any type of list somewhere? I know off the top of my head Welker getting cut by San Diego, James Harrison was on the practice squad once or twice I think...but anyone have any others? Just wondering as some of the rosters are going to have some turnover soon and while it might not be too relevant fantasy-wise I'm just curious...

actually Welker made the 53 man roster in SD. After the first week of the season, they had an injury in another position and thought they could sneak their WR6 to the practice squad.

actually Welker made the 53 man roster in SD. After the first week of the season, they had an injury in another position and thought they could sneak their WR6 to the practice squad.

Yeah I wasn't sure the timeline on him. I think it was when the chargers signed Clinton Hart after the Eagles got rid of him.

Kurt Warner anyone ???

James Loften

O.J. Anderson

My all time favorite, Tom Waddle

I just looked these guys up and O.J. Anderson was traded to the Giants, Take him off the list

James Loften was drafted by Green Bay in 1978 and started every game that year. What am I missing here?

It was before modern free agency, Green gave him up for nothing, did not retain his rights. Went to Oakland and they did not keep him. Then to Buffalo and was reborn.

I guess I figured before modern day free agency if a team realeased the rights to someone that was as good as being cut...

Went back and I now see the at 53 roster deadline thing....

Would like to see if we can come up with and all/released team... Modern free agents do not apply

It was before modern free agency, Green gave him up for nothing, did not retain his rights. Went to Oakland and they did not keep him. Then to Buffalo and was reborn.

I guess I figured before modern day free agency if a team realeased the rights to someone that was as good as being cut...

Went back and I now see the at 53 roster deadline thing....

Would like to see if we can come up with and all/released team... Modern free agents do not apply

Green Bay got rid of him because of off the field issues though. It's not like they released him because they didn't think he was good enough to make the team.

Going by memory, Laurent Robinson was cut last year by the Chargers. Cowpokes scooped him up and Romo helped him earn a big contract this year.