Sign in to follow this  
ralphster

Picking 9th in a ten teamer - thoughts?

.5 point PPR, ten teams, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/WR or TE flex/WR or RB flex/DEF/K. QB Tds are 4 pts, rest are 6pts.

Drafting 9th, here is my team and the order I took them:

1. (9) Jimmy Graham TE

2. (12) Ryan Mathews RB

3. (29) DeMarco Murray RB

4. (32) Doug Martin RB

5. (49) Eric Decker WR

6. (52) Jeremy Maclin WR

7. (69) Torrey Smith WR

8. (72) Philip Rivers QB

9. (89) Peyton Manning QB

10. (92) Ryan Williams RB

11. (109) Mike Williams WR

12. (112) DeAngelo Williams RB

13. (129) Houston DEF

14. (132) Sidney Rice WR

15. (149) Matt Bryant K

16. (152) Evan Royster RB

17. (169) Kyle Rudolph TE

I'd appreciate any/all feedback on the team's strengths and weaknesses or anything else you might have to offer. Leave a link and I'll respond in your thread.

Thanks

Just goes to show how much stronger your lineups can be in a 10-teamer rather than 12-teamer.

I like your team a lot. I see a lot of #2 WR's in there, but quite a few of them could put up big numbers (Smith and Decker, noteably). Can't argue with your TE, and Rudolph may become trade bait. Hopefully, Mathews isn't out too long, as he will really bolster your RB's.

Thanks for mine!

The moment I saw you pick Graham #9 in the first round is when I knew I wouldn't like this team. You totally got sucked into all the hype of the TE from last season. You pick a TE in round 1 or 2 and your team is going to suffer because of it. In a 10 team league every team is going to be stacked at every position basically and the way to win is to make sure you have as many elite players at each position. You are going to lose out on WR every week. You don't have any elite WR's and I know Graham is just as good as a WR, but in the first round? plys you won't have Mathews for a couple weeks and Murray is a walking injury waiting to happen. You were smart to wait on QB's since it is only 4 points for a TD. I will give this team a C- as a grade. I think you could have done a lot better. I am in a couple of 10 team leagues and most of my teams are better.

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew taking a TE in the 1st was a big gamble, and you're right I paid the price @ WR. Here's to hoping one of my WR picks steps up.

I was a little worried once I saw Graham at #9, but you have a very solid team. There are people that you got in spots I would have never dreamed they would fall too. Overall nice team you should have a great season, especially when Matthews returns, covered yourself with Martin for the short term, nice job!!!

Thanks for mine

I actually think you're okay. Rice where you got him is a steal. M. Williams could have a better season and move into WR3-4 area. D. Williams is going to get an increased workload early. Maybe try to trade him and T. Smith to the guy that has Stewart for a WR2?

The more I look at your roster the more I'd just want to stand pat for a few weeks and see what happens. You could be setup really nice if all three of Martin, Murray and Mathews pan out.

As others have mentioned, you suffered on your WRs for the decision to take Graham first. Still, WRs can often pop up out of nowhere to be had on the waiver wire, even in a PPR league. I think I'd wait a bit, see how things develop, and if the WRs proves to be an Achilles heel for you, you might have to consider moving an RB. All in all though, I see it as a solid B team. Keep an eagle eye on the wire for WR.

Thanks for your reply on mine!

I think it was stupid of you to take a TE 1st round because the (more important) positions of RB and WR are hurting because of it. Matthews in all likeness won't be back until midseason. As someone said before, you have a lot of #2 receivers, but no #1. Same goes for RB, unless Matthews returns speedily. You have a lot of depth and solid role guys, but no big game guys outside of your QBs and possibly Graham.

Mine: http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=405730

Thanks for rating my team.

I like your team and actually I don't feel that drafting Graham at 1 was too much of a risk. Since teams in your league are generally stacked, then getting a top TE helps a lot. Yes your WRs are #2s right now but Decker, Maclin and Smith have a chance to be the top WRs in their teams so there is upside. Williams might return to his 2010 form. Your RBs will either be great or bust - Murray and Mathews are injury concerns, Martin is a rookie, and Ryan Williams might lose out to Wells, but if all goes well then you will have great opportunity to make trades and improve your starters. Since Stewart is injured then DeAngelo will fill in nicely while Mathews recovers.

The moment I saw you pick Graham #9 in the first round is when I knew I wouldn't like this team. You totally got sucked into all the hype of the TE from last season. You pick a TE in round 1 or 2 and your team is going to suffer because of it. In a 10 team league every team is going to be stacked at every position basically and the way to win is to make sure you have as many elite players at each position. You are going to lose out on WR every week. You don't have any elite WR's and I know Graham is just as good as a WR, but in the first round? plys you won't have Mathews for a couple weeks and Murray is a walking injury waiting to happen. You were smart to wait on QB's since it is only 4 points for a TD. I will give this team a C- as a grade. I think you could have done a lot better. I am in a couple of 10 team leagues and most of my teams are better.

Oh man this guy doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. LOL. Ok Ralphster don't listen to him, he knows nothing. Coming from someone who actually at least has a clue what they are talking about, me, I think your starting lineup is solid. I like the Graham pick in the first round. I think Decker and Smith are going to prove to be very good value in a .5 ppr league. I think you got 2 solid QBs also. I would have probably picked different RBs myself and maybe grabbed a higher tiered WR while drafting D. Brown possibly where you got Maclin. But I think this is definitely a team that can compete. It is definitely one of the more unique teams I have seen which is always interesting to see, specially when all the teams start to look the same on this board.

As to Sean, I can understand why you wouldn't take Graham or Gronk in the first round since you may be able to get one in the second, but tell me why the hell it isn't a good idea to "fall into the TE hype" in the second round? Have you ever even played fantasy football before? Do you have a clue what BPA or VBD means? If you don't then you shouldn't be talking out of your as$ and telling people they fell into some imaginary trap that you just made up off of the top of your head. Do you realize how valuable Jimmy Graham or Gronk are, especially in a league that gives points for receptions? There is a reason why both of them already look like two the of the best TE to ever play the game. All time great QBs + high powered offense run by an offensive genius + other weapons to take some pressure off of them + as physically unique and gifted as TEs that you will find in the NFL, ever, = unstoppable. How are teams going to stop them? Gronk scored 45 more points than the second best TE last year, Graham, he scored 100 more points than the THIRD BEST TE LAST YEAR. That comes out to 6.25 points per game more than the third best TE in the league. How about the 10th best TE last year, 130 points or 8.125 points per game more. And that isn't even ppr, that is standard scoring.

So before you spout off about people falling into an imaginary trap, how bout you back it up with some data, or at least a half witted guess as to why everyone drafting TEs early is an idiot. :bandana:

I think it was stupid of you to take a TE 1st round because the (more important) positions of RB and WR are hurting because of it. Matthews in all likeness won't be back until midseason. As someone said before, you have a lot of #2 receivers, but no #1. Same goes for RB, unless Matthews returns speedily. You have a lot of depth and solid role guys, but no big game guys outside of your QBs and possibly Graham.

Mine: http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=405730

Another guy who has no clue what he is talking about. Why are te less important? If the top te that ralphster drafted has a larger point differential than whoever else he could have picked how is that less important? I dont know if you noticed but its a .5 ppr league. Smith and decker especially will be catching a lot of passes and maclin as a wr 3 is pretty good. I dont understand why you would create an account on here just to show everyone how little you know about fantasy football. Bring some evidence why a te isnt important and maybe we can have a semi intelligent conversation (i am really doubting youre capable of it but im not always right so who knows) about the importance of each position.