Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

Official 2016 Montreal Canadiens Thread

The problem with the Boston Bruins can be summed up in two words...

Milan Lucic

When he decides to show up and play the body the team is nearly unbeatable. When they started out their season strong and amassed most of their wins, he was playing like a man possessed. The last month and a half, not so much. They need to bring the physical element to the rink every night and this guy is the main culprit. If he shows up in the playoffs, they will go far.

:cheers:

I did a bit of television color commentary for college hockey this season and one coach I talked with had an interesting perspective on the Bruins. His take (this was back in January) was the Bruins would start off strong and slump right before the playoffs (we were comparing the Habs hot start with the Bruins hot start). He thought the Bruins would slump because of complacency, take some games off, and turn it up during the playoffs- because collectively they feel they can do that because they are so good. He said the Habs would slump because they are playing way above their ability and one injury would derail their playoff chances.

So far he has been correct.

The Emelin injury has had a huge impact on the team. Emelin is a great player but his lack of ice time is really impacting Markov and Subban. Diaz coming back has been great but they really need someone to step up and take time away from Markov. Markov needs a rest.

The coach, by the way, was Tim Whitehead. He was fired at the end of the season so maybe he has no clue what the fvck he was talking about.

I did a bit of television color commentary for college hockey this season and one coach I talked with had an interesting perspective on the Bruins. His take (this was back in January) was the Bruins would start off strong and slump right before the playoffs (we were comparing the Habs hot start with the Bruins hot start). He thought the Bruins would slump because of complacency, take some games off, and turn it up during the playoffs- because collectively they feel they can do that because they are so good. He said the Habs would slump because they are playing way above their ability and one injury would derail their playoff chances.

So far he has been correct.

The Emelin injury has had a huge impact on the team. Emelin is a great player but his lack of ice time is really impacting Markov and Subban. Diaz coming back has been great but they really need someone to step up and take time away from Markov. Markov needs a rest.

The coach, by the way, was Tim Whitehead. He was fired at the end of the season so maybe he has no clue what the fvck he was talking about.

Maybe, but it's a bad precedent to set. Not to mention that Chara and Seidenberg have had rough years. That own goal was embarrassing the other night. I do like this Soderbergh kid, though.

That is only part of it. For the Habs and Bruins, it will come down to goaltending. Both teams have shaky lately and need to step it up.

maybe but when Lucic hits people, he sets the tone for the entire team. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be the truth.

We're in the middle of an epic collapse so I have a feeling your Maple Leafs may win their first playoff round in forever. I'm not sure how we do a double or nothing but I'd be willing to do a hat bet (assuming we meet up in the first round). If I win you get me a Habs hat, if I win I get you a Leafs hat?

Sounds like a deal to me! :cheers:

Maybe, but it's a bad precedent to set. Not to mention that Chara and Seidenberg have had rough years. That own goal was embarrassing the other night. I do like this Soderbergh kid, though.

If you guys get healthy and Claude lets some guys rest up, I think you'll be fine. I'd love to have a Boston-Montreal Conference final. :cheers:

Funny where it stands now Saturday late night Isles would face Habs however there is no scenario where that be the outcome. Isles get either Boston or Pitt depending on the outcome of B/Sens tomorrow for make up game.

Rather face B's

B)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, nothing like humiliating the Maple Laughs on National TV on a Saturday.......

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, nothing like humiliating the Maple Laughs on National TV on a Saturday.......

:cheers:

Add to that that the surefire-World-Series-bound-talent-laden Blue Gays are sinking and everything is right in the world today.

I. Hate. Toronto.

And not in a good way.

Add to that that the surefire-World-Series-bound-talent-laden Blue Gays are sinking and everything is right in the world today.

I. Hate. Toronto.

And not in a good way.

I'm a Red Sox fan so it doesn't bother me that Jays are tanking. Our AA team here in NH is the Toronto farm team so a lot of their players have been here.

The Leafs are a bunch of goons. Did you see the finish to the game last night? Two game misconducts for stupid sh1t. They really hate Gallagher.

I wonder where the trolling Bruins fans disappeared to?

:cheers: :overhead:

They'll now get what they really like: a matchup between two knuckle dragging teams....there might be more fights than goals in their series.

I wonder where the trolling Bruins fans disappeared to?

:cheers: :overhead:

Well, at least the Bruins will be well rested when they face the Leafs on Wednesday, as they took the night off last night. :thumbsdown:

I. Hate. Toronto.

And not in a good way.

People are breaking kneecaps by the busload around here, as they're all jumping off the Jays bandwagon. We're already back to 10,000-15,000 attendance per game, and the Leafs hyperbole is becoming unbearable. :cry:

Well, at least the Bruins will be well rested when they face the Leafs on Wednesday, as they took the night off last night. :thumbsdown:

Toronto would have benefited from the Series starting on Tuesday as Bawston was on its 6th game in 9 nights yesterday. Unless Reimer puts on a clinic, I think that will be a short series. Lucic seemed to be getting his game back a bit. The only other thing I wonder about is Charkenstein....I think he might be playing injured as he has been underwhelming for a few games now.

Anyways, unless Pittsburgh really craps the bed, I can't see any team in the East beating them over a 7 game series. But that is why you play the games as they say.

The Bruins have been flat for several weeks now and I don't know that you can just turn it on come playoff time. They had plenty of chances, but have really been underwhelming.

I don't expect nearly as many fights as during the regular season and maybe the refs will swallow their whistles a little more.

A hot goalie changes everything in any series, so let's see what happens.

Toronto would have benefited from the Series starting on Tuesday as Bawston was on its 6th game in 9 nights yesterday. Unless Reimer puts on a clinic, I think that will be a short series. Lucic seemed to be getting his game back a bit. The only other thing I wonder about is Charkenstein....I think he might be playing injured as he has been underwhelming for a few games now.

Anyways, unless Pittsburgh really craps the bed, I can't see any team in the East beating them over a 7 game series. But that is why you play the games as they say.

I think a big key is that Kessel has been completely shut down whenever he's played his former team. If that trend can continue, and Reimer doesn't stand on his head, then Boston should have the horses to pull through. Seguin always plays well against his hometown team, too. It's nice to have McQuaid back, too. He's rock solid in his own end, physical, and plays within his limits.

I agree with Patsfatboy - I'm uncomfortable with the notion of just turning on the spigot and thinking everything is just smooth sailing. But if they play up to their potential, the Bruins should advance.

As for Penguins, they're definitely the team to beat, but their weak spot is the most important position - goaltending. Their tandem of Fleury & Vokoun can definitely be had (witness last year against the Flyers). And they face a red hot Islanders squad with nothing to lose. I'm not necessarily calling for an Isles upset, but.... :unsure:

The Bruins have been flat for several weeks now and I don't know that you can just turn it on come playoff time. They had plenty of chances, but have really been underwhelming.

I don't expect nearly as many fights as during the regular season and maybe the refs will swallow their whistles a little more.

A hot goalie changes everything in any series, so let's see what happens.

Are your typical leaders (Bergeron and Chara) getting run down? I know I'm happy the Habs don't start until Thursday...it'll give Markov and Prust time to rest. If these 2 guys can start playing like they were earlier in the year, Habs are gonna give teams a run for their money. Markov didn't play nearly as much in the last game and it showed as he played much better. I know it gives Karlsson more time to heal too but I have to think that he came back early and may not be 100% for the playoffs....he wasn't outstanding last night...that's for sure. Habs need to hit him every chance they get. The guy who really worries me is Alfredsson...he ALWAYS gets up for the Habs. They'll have to stick to him like glue.

I think a big key is that Kessel has been completely shut down whenever he's played his former team. If that trend can continue, and Reimer doesn't stand on his head, then Boston should have the horses to pull through. Seguin always plays well against his hometown team, too. It's nice to have McQuaid back, too. He's rock solid in his own end, physical, and plays within his limits.

I agree with Patsfatboy - I'm uncomfortable with the notion of just turning on the spigot and thinking everything is just smooth sailing. But if they play up to their potential, the Bruins should advance.

As for Penguins, they're definitely the team to beat, but their weak spot is the most important position - goaltending. Their tandem of Fleury & Vokoun can definitely be had (witness last year against the Flyers). And they face a red hot Islanders squad with nothing to lose. I'm not necessarily calling for an Isles upset, but.... :unsure:

I really like the Isles but a LOT will have to go right for them to beat Pittsburgh. They really only have two legit lines so those lines will have to score big and their goalie will have to outduel the Pittsburgh goalies significantly. Or Pittsburgh would need to take a LOT of penalties and their PK continue to flounder a lot. But penalties are not usually called as much in the playoffs and the Isles special teams are nothing to write home about anyway. Isles won't be able to afford missed golden goal opportunities.

Are your typical leaders (Bergeron and Chara) getting run down? I know I'm happy the Habs don't start until Thursday...it'll give Markov and Prust time to rest. If these 2 guys can start playing like they were earlier in the year, Habs are gonna give teams a run for their money. Markov didn't play nearly as much in the last game and it showed as he played much better. I know it gives Karlsson more time to heal too but I have to think that he came back early and may not be 100% for the playoffs....he wasn't outstanding last night...that's for sure. Habs need to hit him every chance they get. The guy who really worries me is Alfredsson...he ALWAYS gets up for the Habs. They'll have to stick to him like glue.

Bergeron and Chara are not run down as far as I can tell. Bergeron had plenty of time off with his most recent concussion. Chara would probably play every day if he had his way.

The problem is that you have guys like Lucic and Seguin who have plenty of talent, but they don't always seem to have the motivation to play to their levels. These are guys who have been healthy scratches at different points.

The big question is whether they will have their competitive juices going well enough to play to their expectations. Their scoring is really lacking and you have to wonder if Claude Julien's style is just holding some of these guys back. :dunno:

I don't know about run down but Chara has had an off-year, for sure. He just seems slow and plodding and he's made a ton of mental mistakes. It would be nice to give him a rest but that will only happen if they make quick work of the Leafs and I just don't see that happening.

Leafs in 7.

I don't know about run down but Chara has had an off-year, for sure. He just seems slow and plodding and he's made a ton of mental mistakes. It would be nice to give him a rest but that will only happen if they make quick work of the Leafs and I just don't see that happening.

Leafs in 7.

Bruins in 5....Leafs had no business finishing 5th....they only did so because a lot of teams sucked much harder than they should have because of injuries. They're a bad team and I think you'll run them out of town. Carlyle will likely play Colton Orr 15 minutes a game.

Doubt the leafs would make the playoffs in an 82 game season... Kudos for starting out hot. If you gave me the choice of Leafs/Sens/Isle for 1st round matchup I think i go with the Leafs...

Anything can happen in the playoffs, think the B's have a damn good shot at the cup this year.

Doubt the leafs would make the playoffs in an 82 game season... Kudos for starting out hot. If you gave me the choice of Leafs/Sens/Isle for 1st round matchup I think i go with the Leafs...

Anything can happen in the playoffs, think the B's have a damn good shot at the cup this year.

I wanted the Bs in the worst way. The screwed me by losing to Sens last night. Oh well. Isles have to give everything they have VS Pitt.

so Habs fans, how do you like the matchup with Ottawa?

I think they're two very similar teams at almost all levels. If the Habs get back to how they played for 35 games, I think we take them. None of the games will be blowouts and it'll be amazing hockey as both teams have speed and I doubt that caveman type play will be prevalent. Should be fun to watch. Home ice advantage is big as we'll be able to line up Pleks against Alfredsson, the Habs killer. It'll be interesting to see how much the kids play for Montreal. They've performed well despite limited ice time. Wondering if Therrien will remove the shackles a tad.

I think they're two very similar teams at almost all levels. If the Habs get back to how they played for 35 games, I think we take them. None of the games will be blowouts and it'll be amazing hockey as both teams have speed and I doubt that caveman type play will be prevalent. Should be fun to watch. Home ice advantage is big as we'll be able to line up Pleks against Alfredsson, the Habs killer. It'll be interesting to see how much the kids play for Montreal. They've performed well despite limited ice time. Wondering if Therrien will remove the shackles a tad.

To me, this series seems so evenly matched that it will likely come down to two things:

1 - Craig Anderson vs. Carey Price - Anderson's stats were sick this year, but Price has proven he can handle the playoff pressure. Can Anderson?

2 - Montreal's lethal powerplay - the Sens HAVE to stay out of the penalty box to have a chance of advancing

The close proximity of the two cities should just add more fuel to the fire. :thumbsup:

To me, this series seems so evenly matched that it will likely come down to two things:

1 - Craig Anderson vs. Carey Price - Anderson's stats were sick this year, but Price has proven he can handle the playoff pressure. Can Anderson?

2 - Montreal's lethal powerplay - the Sens HAVE to stay out of the penalty box to have a chance of advancing

The close proximity of the two cities should just add more fuel to the fire. :thumbsup:

It'll be a good series, canadian teams hate each other, will be intense and fun...

so Habs fans, how do you like the matchup with Ottawa?

We match up pretty evenly. I see this as a 7 game series that could go either way. Both teams will know they played hockey after this series is done. It'll be a bloodbath.

Habs in 7.

I love this Toronto-Boston match up. I'll probably watch the games that don't conflict with the Habs. Bunch of knuckle dragging goons. Should be a bunch of fights. Hopefully they kill each other. Literally. :overhead:

We match up pretty evenly. I see this as a 7 game series that could go either way. Both teams will know they played hockey after this series is done. It'll be a bloodbath.

Habs in 7.

I love this Toronto-Boston match up. I'll probably watch the games that don't conflict with the Habs. Bunch of knuckle dragging goons. Should be a bunch of fights. Hopefully they kill each other. Literally. :overhead:

Without Reimer going completely off the hook Tor is losing in 5 max...

As I said....Toronto had no business finishing 5th. No D, not much depth on O, an overreliance on caveman-type play (which actually got them in trouble last night when hits put players completely out of position), and an unproven playoff goalie who seems to be turning into a pumpkin....this could end very early.

I wanted the Bs in the worst way. The screwed me by losing to Sens last night. Oh well. Isles have to give everything they have VS Pitt.

You might have to give a little bit more than everything. Seriously, barring a ridiculous string of injuries, I can't see any team in the East beating Pittsburgh over 7 games. Maybe Chicago can give them a run in the West but I'm not even sure.

You might have to give a little bit more than everything. Seriously, barring a ridiculous string of injuries, I can't see any team in the East beating Pittsburgh over 7 games. Maybe Chicago can give them a run in the West but I'm not even sure.

Well THAT SUCKED

As I said....Toronto had no business finishing 5th. No D, not much depth on O, an overreliance on caveman-type play (which actually got them in trouble last night when hits put players completely out of position), and an unproven playoff goalie who seems to be turning into a pumpkin....this could end very early.

In watching last night's game, what you've listed here is spot on. I'll also add:

1) Giveaways - the Leafs were terrible all year when it came to brain-cramps in their own end, and last night highlighted this

2) Further to your caveman point - tough to get Kessel and Lupul on the ice when you're busy putting Fraser McLaren and Colton Orr out instead

Is it just me, or was the CBC telecast almost completely unwatchable, thanks to CBC's pro-Leaf bias? Sometimes I wonder what game Glenn Healy is watching, because it sure isn't the one in front of him when he's between the benches. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm viewing with blinders, but I do think the Bruins have the horses to do it. But it does amaze me how the Penguins can still be successful even with either Malkin or Crosby out of the lineup. That's scary.

In watching last night's game, what you've listed here is spot on. I'll also add:

1) Giveaways - the Leafs were terrible all year when it came to brain-cramps in their own end, and last night highlighted this

2) Further to your caveman point - tough to get Kessel and Lupul on the ice when you're busy putting Fraser McLaren and Colton Orr out instead

Is it just me, or was the CBC telecast almost completely unwatchable, thanks to CBC's pro-Leaf bias? Sometimes I wonder what game Glenn Healy is watching, because it sure isn't the one in front of him when he's between the benches. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm viewing with blinders, but I do think the Bruins have the horses to do it. But it does amaze me how the Penguins can still be successful even with either Malkin or Crosby out of the lineup. That's scary.

Carlyle continually playing Orr and Maclaren just shows how stupid his game plan is. That being said they "only" got about 8 minutes each last night. He's had Orr playing 15 some games.

The CBC is totally unwatchable. But then Jack Edwards is pretty unwatchable too. RDS in French tends to cheerlead but nowhere near as much....they bash the Habs pretty good when they play badly.

And I do think you have blinders on...didn't think the Bruins played that well last night. The fact that you're playing the Laffs helps make you look better. The only thing that could make it tough for Pittsburgh would be a goalie playing lights out against them....a little like Halak did a couple of years ago. People say Fleury is a real weakness but really, even if he gives up two bananas a game, it won't matter much if the Pens score 5-6. Goalies are going to have to keep them down to 2 goals a game max. Maybe 3. Tough order. I mean they pretty much humiliated the Isles last night and the Isles had been playing lights out for the last 10 games. Way better than the Habs and Bruins anyway......

So will Ferrence get suspended for the elbow on Grabovski or was it just some more equipment malfunction? :music_guitarred: For the record, I hate Grabovski so him getting a mouthful was enjoyable.