Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Nursing-Rehab Hospitals

I'm sure I'm not alone in this learning curve. And I'm deliberately leaving my particular situation out of this, but:

Damn, Such a learning curve for me. My Mom has a visitor (usually more than that) every day. Usually me.

Others? We've been there for 10 days and some have never seen another soul as far as I can tell. They roam the hallways head down, moving at the speed of smell, completely ignored, alone. The staff at night especially seems to just wnat them to sleep and let them go outside and smoke and gossip. (Like I needed another reason to hate smokers)

At this point, I know the names and room numbers of more clients than the staff does. - No exaggeration, I swear. I can't just leave them while I take my Mom back to her room. I usually take them back to their room or wherever and make sure we engage them in conversation because it may be their only conversation all day, week, etc.

Today, I took Mom back to her room. Was feeling a little burned out and had the "fock 'em - it's someone else's job" mentality. - ten minutes later, I go back, and these poor folks are sitting alone at the table wherest I've left them. One of them was trying to get out his chair. - Too disastrous effect had I allowed it.

I finally literally pulled someone into the room. They had no idea (there's only 80 rooms) where this guy or the other woman were to go. I knew their room number from taking them on my own a few times already. - And had to tell the staff.

I can walk down the hallway and know who needs to be changed, who is trying to get up, audibly, who's oxygen is off, visually, who's removed it - And I ain't getting paid a GD dime.

I don't blame these folks to the extent that they dont' get paid nearly enough. But, if that's not the job you want, go to McD's.

I'm the last thing to a caregiver God every sent upon this earth. But I spend the better part of my days now recognizing intention tremors, dementia, incontenince stips, various illneses, cutting up food, researching medication conflicts, calling relatives, talking to nurses, case workers and in one case - even Sherrif in one case. - Not anything I want to do, but if you have a loved one in an institution of any kind, understand that they need constant advocacy.

I think half the staff there is grateful I'm there. And the other half- pissed. I don't care. Do your job and I can be at the bar enjoying my life - or trying to rebuild the little bit that's left. But the new biz model isn't much different than the old. And what bothers me most? Is that if I weren't there, my Mom would recieve the same lack of treatment that I see on a daily basis with others.

- But the good news is, if you or your wife, or whomever can let the folks know that you'll be watching the facilities' every move - 'suddenly' the care gets LOTS better.

...And why the fock is the Gubmint and private insurance paying thousands of bucks a month paying for that??

You are a good man.

My best friend runs a nursing home and he seems to do it right. But he had lots of stories about how the other companies do it that are downright depressing.

The care is one thing, but in regards to the loneliness and lack of conversation, etc. I guess I always assumed the residents of these places would all become buddies. I have always imagined being in an old folks home when I'm older, but I've romanticized it. I am speaking out of my ass i guess, but I want it to be daily poker games, a few of us getting to the golf course every so often, etc. Maybe my day dreams are that of a retirement community as oppose to a nursing home though. Just unsure why a nursing home can't take on that retirement home type of feel.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this learning curve. And I'm deliberately leaving my particular situation out of this, but:

Damn, Such a learning curve for me. My Mom has a visitor (usually more than that) every day. Usually me.

Others? We've been there for 10 days and some have never seen another soul as far as I can tell. They roam the hallways head down, moving at the speed of smell, completely ignored, alone. The staff at night especially seems to just wnat them to sleep and let them go outside and smoke and gossip. (Like I needed another reason to hate smokers)

At this point, I know the names and room numbers of more clients than the staff does. - No exaggeration, I swear. I can't just leave them while I take my Mom back to her room. I usually take them back to their room or wherever and make sure we engage them in conversation because it may be their only conversation all day, week, etc.

Today, I took Mom back to her room. Was feeling a little burned out and had the "fock 'em - it's someone else's job" mentality. - ten minutes later, I go back, and these poor folks are sitting alone at the table wherest I've left them. One of them was trying to get out his chair. - Too disastrous effect had I allowed it.

I finally literally pulled someone into the room. They had no idea (there's only 80 rooms) where this guy or the other woman were to go. I knew their room number from taking them on my own a few times already. - And had to tell the staff.

I can walk down the hallway and know who needs to be changed, who is trying to get up, audibly, who's oxygen is off, visually, who's removed it - And I ain't getting paid a GD dime.

I don't blame these folks to the extent that they dont' get paid nearly enough. But, if that's not the job you want, go to McD's.

I'm the last thing to a caregiver God every sent upon this earth. But I spend the better part of my days now recognizing intention tremors, dementia, incontenince stips, various illneses, cutting up food, researching medication conflicts, calling relatives, talking to nurses, case workers and in one case - even Sherrif in one case. - Not anything I want to do, but if you have a loved one in an institution of any kind, understand that they need constant advocacy.

I think half the staff there is grateful I'm there. And the other half- pissed. I don't care. Do your job and I can be at the bar enjoying my life - or trying to rebuild the little bit that's left. But the new biz model isn't much different than the old. And what bothers me most? Is that if I weren't there, my Mom would recieve the same lack of treatment that I see on a daily basis with others.

- But the good news is, if you or your wife, or whomever can let the folks know that you'll be watching the facilities' every move - 'suddenly' the care gets LOTS better.

...And why the fock is the Gubmint and private insurance paying thousands of bucks a month paying for that??

This hits the nail on the head. There are the families that care and the ones that drop mom or dad off at the front door and burn rubber out of there never to be seen again. There are families that take time to know everyone and ones that never care enough to come to see a parent. the ones who don't want their folks sent to the hospital cause of the cost of the ambulance ride. Day shift is ALMOST ALWAYS better than evening and night shift. the 7-3 shift tends to get the best workers the 3-11 gets the young lazy ones that don't care as much and the 11-7 tend to get the ones that enjoy the calm of night shift and like routines. And don't like it when things. change.

Bold part, SADLY is true if you cause enough of a stink the care does change because the people who DON"T care suddenly have to because their job is affected by it.

This hits the nail on the head. There are the families that care and the ones that drop mom or dad off at the front door and burn rubber out of there never to be seen again. There are families that take time to know everyone and ones that never care enough to come to see a parent. the ones who don't want their folks sent to the hospital cause of the cost of the ambulance ride. Day shift is ALMOST ALWAYS better than evening and night shift. the 7-3 shift tends to get the best workers the 3-11 gets the young lazy ones that don't care as much and the 11-7 tend to get the ones that enjoy the calm of night shift and like routines. And don't like it when things. change.

Bold part, SADLY is true if you cause enough of a stink the care does change because the people who DON"T care suddenly have to because their job is affected by it.

My wife recently went through this with her Grandmother in the hospital. She has been in the hospital since before Christmas, and we're only able to be here on the weekends, so we have to rely on cousins and such to keep an eye on things. After a couple weeks of half-a$$ed staff taking care of her we contacted the CEO of the hospital (someone that just happens to go to the same church as the Grandmother, and knows her personally). She's had the absolute best care for the last few weeks.