Sign in to follow this  
mister

Pro Bowl!?

PB  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to watch the Pro Bowl?

Who is as excited as I am for the Pro Bowl? Haha

What ever happened to the events they used to do outside of the game? They would sometimes show them on NFL network in the summer, when absolutely nothing is on TV. I remember Merriman won it when he was balling (or on the juice) and Larry Allen was the god at that for a while, I think he did 43. I miss that stuff...Kind of.

The Pro Bowl is by far the worst all-star game in sports. A few ways to fix it:

1. Hold it after the season again - eliminating all the Super Bowl participants is the reason why scrubs keep gettin in.

2. Make it a skills competition instead. These guys aren't going to risk getting hurt so there's no point to it.

3. If you need to have a game make it a rookie / 2nd year player game like the NBA.

It's such a waste as is.

i used to watch it all the time when i was younger. i guess when you're a kid and you love football, you'll watch any pro event you can. and it did used to be slightly better then it is now.

havn't watched it in several years.

the issue is the lack of competitiveness. even in the NBA, where guys don't go 100% in the all star game, there comes a point in the game where each side wants to win. you end up with an astronomical score, but also an entertaining game that has the feel of two teams wanting to win in the end. How can the NFL attain this? I'm not sure if it can. There is no way around the 1 major roadblock facing the Pro Bowl..... the fact that football is a brutal contact sport. Players in the NBA and MLB can go out there and take the game semi seriously because the risk of being injured is far less. MLB was even able to add the incentive of home field advantage in the world series awarded to the winner and while the notion was scoffed at originally, it seems to have caught on and increased the level of competition. What NFL owner is going to want their players out there risking injury during the season? and considering the SB is a 1 game event on a "neutral" field... that MLB idea won't work.

I think they need to bring back the skills competitons, like the NBA does. Target passing, JUGS catching, straight line speed race, etc. etc. but that won't be enough. there needs to be a "game" element.

too many players are invited, i think. cutting down the number of players would help. and the week before the SB is the worst possible time to have it. You either need to put it after the SB so those players can attend or it needs to be a mid season event, maybe week 11 or something after the regular bye weeks are over. Pitch it as an extra week of rest for the majority of the league.

NBA players are able to go out there and basically play street ball, what if the game was designed as backyard football? flag football? would anyone watch if it was just the skill position players going at each other with no hitting? You could eliminate the lineman but leave all the other positions. Still allow run plays :dunno: I think I would tune in to see Aaron Rodgers throwing to Calvin Johnson covered by Darrelle Revis. Or Patrick Willis chasing down Arian Foster out of the backfield :dunno:

The Pro Bowl is by far the worst all-star game in sports. A few ways to fix it:

1. Hold it after the season again - eliminating all the Super Bowl participants is the reason why scrubs keep gettin in.

2. Make it a skills competition instead. These guys aren't going to risk getting hurt so there's no point to it.

3. If you need to have a game make it a rookie / 2nd year player game like the NBA.

It's such a waste as is.

Nicely said, I couldn't agree more.

Some scrubs are voted in it regardless as TheUsualSuspect pointed out though..and I would love to see a flag backyard game among the voted players as WhiteWonder says, it would be entertaining and the players could market themselves even better as well. Sounds like a win win to me, the NFL is a business last time I checked, a very successful one. They need some change to the event, which we might see very soon.

watched about 1/3 of it flipping around durring comercials..seemed to be a little more like "real football" then last year :dunno:

Football is too violent & careers can be ended quickly so I don't blame the player's for not taking it seriously.

Like other posters have said, make it a skills competition & a rookie vs. sophomore flag football game so the younger players get some exposure to elevate their popularity to the entire NFL community instead of just their respective die-hard fans.