Sign in to follow this  
pimptastic69

Official scoring question

According to rule 10.05(e), when a batted ball hits a baserunner, the result is a dead ball, the runner is out and the batter is credited with a base hit. Is the batter still credited with a hit if there are 2 outs with the baserunner becoming the 3rd out?

I can't for the life of me figure out why they rule it a single rather than a fielder's choice. They credit the fielder with a putout, so it should be a FC.

Baseball is dumb.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they rule it a single rather than a fielder's choice. They credit the fielder with a putout, so it should be a FC.

Baseball is dumb.

Agreed. It should be scored the same way as if the batter ripped one up the middle, but the runner was too slow going from first to second and was forced at 2nd by the CF.

Baseball is dumb.

It makes way more sense to credit the batter. You simply cannot assume that a play would have been made, but you know for a fact that the ball was struck. Therefore it doesn't make sense to penalize the batter for something completely out of his control.