Sign in to follow this  
R8RMick

A Question for Rodgers owners... Foles Gold?

The redeeming factor stemming from Nick Fole's colossal tank in Week 7 is that he may be on the waiver wire in some leagues, as he is in mine. The point is moot, for as a Rodgers owner I have reached desperation level and will move on him regardless. But similar to some others here I seek solace in my decision by attempting to justify by filibuster.

The big question is how can can a guy who looked like such a slug one week bounce back for a performance for the ages a mere two weeks later? Where the HELL did that come from???? As much as I'd like to point the finger at my Raiders, and there is much to target assuredly, the bald fact is he got his ass handed to him in the New Vet by a Dallas defense which is little better. The answer lies in the coaches game planning.

Against The Boys Foles was rattled quickly, taking a couple of crisp shots early, which led him to have a bad game. He was wildly inaccurate, missing on numerous passes that killed drives, and eventually got his clock cleaned late in the third quarter.

In the Oakland game Chip Kelly made some key adjustments, slowing the game down for Foles, and allowed him to get comfortable. Point of note- on their first drive, beginning deep in their own end in front of the Black Hole, Kelly called some short plays at the line of scrimmage early, one a 42 yard swing pass to Riley Cooper and another a short middle screen to Shady for 13 yards. Later in the drive the kid hit Jackson in the flat for an eight yard gain. These not only extended the drive but allowed Foles to establish a rhythm. Even with his impressive stat line, the Eagles kept the game simple for him. They ran often on first and second down, threw quick short screens and flat passes to the backs, and eventually had Foles operating in clean pockets for his throws down the field into the end zone. Foles completed all seven of his passes in the red zone Sunday, four of them for TD's. He's now thrown 155 passes without an interception.

Obviously Foles feels more comfortable having Riley Cooper around, connecting on 15 of the 19 passes he's targeted him with for 347 yards and 4 touchdowns. But Coop was on the field for only 37 snaps against the Raiders, so perhaps Kelly should create more packages for him?

Lastly, Kelly kept more help in around the pocket for the kid. Despite drafting Zach Ertz, Philadelphia has not utilized many two-tight end sets leading up to Week 9. Through Week 8 their "11" personnel package (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR's) had been utilized exclusively on 447 of 542 plays, or 82% of the time, before last Sunday. For the Oakland game Kelly changed all that, running double tight end sets on 21 of 34 plays on their first six possessions, resulting in five of those going for touchdown passes. Ertz, a mere afterthought till now, went 5 catches for 42 yards and his first score. Brent Celek caught 3 passes for 27 yards, and was Foles safety net on Philly's first touchdown with a two yarder.

In sum, the tale of two quarterbacks can be simply explained by a coaches willingness to game plan effectively around the limitations of his quarterback. Very impressive performance by not only Foles, but also Chip Kelly as well.

that's some filibuster, not sure what for but you need a QB so add/drop or stfu... that help?

oh and foles breakout was against the raiders so, it's possible he still sucks, just not nearly as bad as the raidahs... ;)

"My raiders", that's close to homo, unless u are part owner ?

"The new vet", other than being a few hundred feet south, it has nothing to do w the classic veterans stadium

Other than that ur post has great insight

I'm playing Foles until he tanks again

that's some filibuster, not sure what for but you need a QB so add/drop or stfu... that help?

oh and foles breakout was against the raiders so, it's possible he still sucks, just not nearly as bad as the raidahs... ;)

Apologies, as I'd thought the question of Foles' turnaround worth consideration. Can't believe you'd feel Raiders defense to be any worse than that of Dallas lol... It was a serious question, whether to make the move or not, and wanted to share some data with anyone else in similar straits. Upon further review, your way would probably work better.

Apologies, as I'd thought the question of Foles' turnaround worth consideration. Can't believe you'd feel Raiders defense to be any worse than that of Dallas lol... It was a serious question, whether to make the move or not, and wanted to share some data with anyone else in similar straits. Upon further review, your way would probably work better.

LMFAO... if foles is available, he is probably the best bet, maybe Tannehill as well since his output has been improving and surely he is also available.. except the fish are in drama city so, who knows what they are going to do any given Sunday, before this bully crap broke, they were still talking about a timeshare at RB which is just retarded... basically any dolphin can barely be trusted for FF use so I would probably nab foles myself.

Mongo like :clap: