Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

The funny ways people react when the season starts

Just thinking how the fantasy season has 2 parts, the draft and the season. Once the season starts, the draft is forgotten and its all about wild overreaction or timid trepidation. Example, lets say you have Adrian Peterson and week 1 he gets stuffed for 20yds. Meanwhile the Ellington owner watches his guy go off for 150 and 2tds. There is zero chance that your avg owner would then trade if you offered your Adrian straight up for his Ellington. Even tho thats a great trade, he doesnt want to trade ellingtons potential star season in his eyes for adrians potential bust season based on week 1. Nope, no way no how. Its all about what have you done for me lately and week 1 brings the most rampant of overreactions.

People often have good halves and bad halves of the season. LAst year I drafted Alshon jeffrey with a late pick. He sat on my bench and I never started him. Right around midway, before he had his 200yd games, I cut him to make room for someone I forget. Yea it ws dumb, im not defending that, but I then watched him blow up and have a wr1 season. Things like this happen alot.

What examples of overreaction or haste have you seen in seasons past? Theres great stories every year.

My problem is the opposite. I tend to be too loyal for too long, because I couldn't have been wrong in the first place, right? I do remember going gaga over Eddie Royal when he was a rookie and at one point cutting TO because he had a bunch of bad games strung together. Of course, Royal flamed out and TO finished the season in typical TO fashion.

In 2004 i had Ryan Torrain (i think that was him, Denver RB, who went crazy the first game, cant remember his stats), somebody offered me Peyton Manning for him and i passed because Torrain looked to be the next Jim Brown.

Peyton set the NFL record with 49 TDs that year. I dont even know if Torrain was a starter all year.

Last season I traded CJ Spiller for Matt Stafford after week 1... 2 qb league.

Sometimes overreactions aren't overreactions.

I think Deangelo Williams started really slowly in his 20 TD season but I drafted him but watched him win someone else a championship. I don't recall the details but I think that's right.

I also remember last year Lacy whom I drafted in rnd 3, started with 2 bad games. I called for his head and offered him for a bag of potato chips, no one wanted to take him.

I think Deangelo Williams started really slowly in his 20 TD season but I drafted him but watched him win someone else a championship. I don't recall the details but I think that's right.

Sounds right. Tragic man.

In 2004 i had Ryan Torrain (i think that was him, Denver RB, who went crazy the first game, cant remember his stats), somebody offered me Peyton Manning for him and i passed because Torrain looked to be the next Jim Brown.

Peyton set the NFL record with 49 TDs that year. I dont even know if Torrain was a starter all year.

Classic right here. The mvp is always either mine at one point or coulda woulda shoulda. I opted for Hakeem nicks in Rnd 2 of his hyped year instead of soon to be MVP Rodgers...and im even a Packer fan!

It wasn't early but in a league with a very short bench and ridiculous starting roster requirements, I cut Zac Stacey around early to mid season. Before he started putting up steady numbers... I lost the championship to the guy that picked him up

i am notorious in my home leagues where we have smaller benches for using late picks on guys who turn out to be studs but I cut them during preseason or early in the year because I get antsy :lol: . if our benches were bigger, id be fine.

a few that come to mind recently include Russel Wilson and Alfred Morris in 2012, my last 2 picks actually in a 10 teamer. Sidney Rice in 2009 and Stacy in a few last season.

last year i hung on to Julius Thomas thankfully and I owned Graham so it would have been easy to cut bait for depth at another position.