Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Friday Night poker thread

So he had trip 9s...you put him on kk...which still was beating you and would have gotten him trips on the turn...and you pushed on a draw.

Cool story...you played it like the people you call a fish. Reverse your hands and say Hawaiian guy hits his draw...youd be here whining about a bad beat and how the guy played like a fish and got paid iff.

Unfortunately for GF, this is dead on. :(

Why chase draws vs aggressive players? Wait for a good hand, make money. :dunno:

Re tipping: I just tip the dealers a couple bucks when they get pushed.

My take is terrible call pre flop. Terrible raise on flop, and terrible shove.

Preflop calling with AT suited is a huge leak unless guys play fit or fold on the flop. By raising 10x pre, he is basically raising the blind structure of the game to like 4-8, which makes effective stack sizes a little short to be calling with a hand that is dominated by much of the typical player's raising range.

Guy basically bets pot on the flop, you put him on KK, and then you raise? I can't stress this enough - don't make a habit of trying to knock people off top pair or better in a low limit game. When you raise there, it's because you might have fold equity. Not because you want to enduce a flip. You didn't have much fold equity if you thought he had KK.

Also, the computer algorithm solved heads up limit hold em which is a completely different game then 9 handed no limit.

While your advice is sound, and it took a few days of discussion with some poker nerds to come to a conclusion ... I played it fine.

i need to be 33% or better to be making the right move. Let's figure zero pecent fold equity, as I know I am getting called.

Mkay, first of all, this guy is a very LAG player. He could be raising preflop with a hand like KJ suited. PFR for this guy just like 99.

Now, my call, only, no raise, with A, 10 suited ... you could argue, a bad call. I have a general rule that I don't fold royal flush draws. Not if you ever plan on getting one.

Anyway, flop comes ... and it took 3 days for me to explain this to game theory nerds ...

PFR + C, frequency of his hand hitting the flop harder than mine, which has the nut flush draw, and still a royal possibility ... That number is very low. Right? He is going to c-bet his pfr often, and he is often going to fold to a 3-bet. Hence, my 3-bet on the flop with ace high. I want to take down the pot right now, despite the royal flush possibilities. BUT ... this happens to be a spot where my opponent has a real hand. Pretty much the best hand possible. Wonderbrain, tripple range merge ... in about 2 seconds I had all my chips in the pot. Price was right. Took me 3 days but I convinced a buncha poker nerds it was the right play.

This particular opponent would have played KJ of clubs the same way, in which case I would actually be a favorite.

It's complicated math ... and there are reasons for calling or raising on every street ... but you can't fold royal flush draws... At least I can't.

It's an actual rule I have ... "Never fold a royal flush draw."

We can only go by what you say. You originally said you were 90% sure he had KKs. Of course the play changes if you want to widen his range.

Preflop - Early position giant raise. If you say he would do that with KJs okay. You call with ATs. I would fold 90% of the time, but if his range was that wide, I'd mix in some re-raises. Calling would never be an option here, but I like folding much better because he's raising too much, and you say he's raising from early position with a wide range. Why go to war with ATs when you can go to war with AK and have his range crushed?

You call - pot 40

Flop - Qc,9c,7h - he bets pot. Early position raise pre and now a pot sized bet. You would know his c-bet tendencies more than I, of course, but even if he does have a flush draw, you're winning the hand! Call and let him bluff it off. What is he trying to say with his betting? He has a real hand, right? What hands in his range are you beating that a raise will fold out? Basically all pairs, AK and AJ right. Does he continue on the turn, unimproved with those? No, so that suggests a call with a plan to bet if he checks.

What if he has a flush draw or JT? That's the best case scenario for you. You want a club to fall, so that suggests a call. Even his straight outs are sullied down to 6.

What if he has AQ, KK, AA, or a set. You need to improve to win. The only question is what kind of implied odds are you going to get, but you're not raising him off his hand. You're 100 dollar raise is basically an all-in because now your two bad moves are going to force you to make a correct call.

The only thing raising on the flop does is get rid of AK, AJ, JJ, TT, 88, and 66 so he doesn't improve or or pick up some straight draw on the turn (which isn't too likely). Everything else in his range says to float and take it away if he checks the turn.

I still say call, but a raise is more justified if you're going to widen his range, but if you exercise pot control let's say you make the bad call pre:

pot 40

flop he bets 35

let's say you call - pot 110.

Turn is a K, he bets 90. Now you can call pretty easily with your flush and gutshot -> 90 to win 200 + whatever you can get on the river.

or he checks and you bet and probably take it down.

River brick. He probably jams - you fold. If he checks, I'd endorse a bluff thinking he might have had AQ and will fold being scared of the K.

Now if you're in EP, I would endorse a check-raise on the flop, but you're squandering your position by raising in my opinion. Or if you had deeper stacks relative to the preflop action, I'd endorse your play a bit more. The real issue is that his large preflop bet made the stack sizes awkward. I've learned that lesson too many times.

its a marginal hand, I'm not sure your play was more +ev than flatting $35 in position. That board is sketchy for KK.

As Nobody pointed out, your 3 bet is ultimately a bluff against a big EP raiser who Cbet who you feel has a big pocket pair

I put a one dollar chip on top of my cards and I tip the dealer that dollar on pots from $10 to $50. From $50 to $100 I will tip $2. Over $100 I will tip $2 or more. Pots under $10 I don't tip.

That's not what you should do. Like I said, tip at he end if you win. Maybe part of your bad "luck" is giving away a portion of your bankroll (ammunition)

That is actually the ideal way to do it ... not your way. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I tip $2 on any hand I win when there is a flop.

No flop, no tip. Unless she's really hot and I'm flirting and I actually won some decent money like 3-betting with a couple of callers, etc.

You didn't flop a freaking royal flush draw unless you posted it wrong. You would have to hit runner//runner to hit a royal.

As for the hand, villains allow us to play our draws profitably by calling if you have no fold equity. If you can't get him to fold, there is no point to getting it in here.

He bets $35 ... We call. Turn he bets $100ish. We call.

River we miss. We have saved $350.

There's so much pre-story to this session. It was almost like this kid was on th tilt the whole time. Woret session in a long time,,and I lost $300 and have not played since. There's cliques ... and I show the OMC's respect, the MAWGs know not to fock with me, a d then there's thes young kids that have "played millions of hands on the internet", and that means that they are superior players ... because they understand wht VPIP means and bluff frequency ... they think they have narrowed it down to a science. Some people are also cheating, or helping each other, and that should not happen. Theres this little old white a-hole ... Friday night he re-raises this kid who keeps raising $17 pre ... To $55. Kid calls, flop comes 10, j , x rainbow, kid shoves, OMC snaps with KK like it's the nuts, and it holds against an open ender. QK off. Kid freaks out ... like as if he lost money that he can't afford to lose, and he confirms later when I ask, "How much are you stuck?", but that didnt prevent this little fock from trying to go full agro, even when I had good cards. Pretty much, this little focker, and some of his friends, are playing tournament style poker in cash games. It's high variance, and I love the action, I give action, but I also run bad sometimes. Cost of doin business.

Plan right now, try and focus on things like eating well and keeping hydrated. Next week, I got a place to crash, gonna drive up to Phoenix .... pretend wigger act in effect. Pays well, yo.

This guy is a lot like me. This is the cold, harsh reality of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xArfwpWYEI

I'm overweight and angry all the time. Ya know ... Take away the winning over the last 4 months at poker thing ... and now a celebrity ... I got the sae story. But I never walk. Sometimes I drive the Prius, sometimes I drive my own Mercury Marauder convertible, and sometimes I drive, when I get access to it ... My Mom's 1990 Miata. Oh yeah! Beautiful!

Parents are in NYC for the next 3 weeks ... i am gonna drive that Miata up to Phoenix for the Superbowl.

Thanks ... Gotta say thanks to Jerrys for the idea. Should be easy money for decent cash players, and I will be at TSR friday and saturday night, this weekend, in the Arena. So ... You got beef? That's where I will be. Likely have thousands in cash on my person. You got beef? Step to me bro... Show the fock up, and step to me.

You give me the geek club password, want a picture ... Np ... free photos for my fans, if you can find me. You got beef? Step the fock up ... I might kick your ass, if you aren't carefull because I am crazy. I have anger issues. I'm also tall, strong and have a high IQ. Besides my baldingness, and psycho focking family BS ... I rank pretty high on the scale. I have had chicks stalk me in college.here's never been like a really healthy relationship between me and a woman, unless we were just friends. I still have friends that once there were benefits and we are still friends. I guess it's hard for most men to understand, particularly when they are younger, but sex ..... Amother notch in the headboard, when you are 21 .... Your brain can't figure it out ... All the hormones, all you want is the secks.

But old guys like me, in our mid 40's ... we still want the secks ... do not want the kids and the responsibility, that often comes along after the secks.

So we gamble, we drink ... we do things to distrat ourselves. Someone once said, "Everything is going to be OK." but that's a lie. The truth of the matter is, "We are all going to die.".

Get used to it. It's reality.

a lot of fat lazy guys are like you...and plenty of them are probably still better at poker.