Sign in to follow this  
bob_pendleton

Draft Buddy Problem?

Hi Mike,

I used the "pre-2007" version of Draft Buddy during my draft last night and I ran into a problem. Fortunately the issue is easy to re-create: A large number of players, when drafted via the pull-down menus on the "draft report" tab (primarily what I use) or via the "Draft Player" button on the "summary" tab did not have their names automatically grayed-out on the "offense" and "off-notes" tabs once drafted. NOTE: I had no issues with the grayed-out function working on the "overall" tab. Here's a subset of names that didn't work. I can provide a full list from my draft if you need it:

Aaron Rodgers
David Johnson
Le'Veon Bell
Julio Jones
Stefon Diggs
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger

Is there something I can do to fix this? Thank you.

Check that calculation is set to Automatic, Bob. Old Excel... lets see... I think it is Tools > Options > Calculation, select Automatic. Did that update it? Or try F10 (on Windows) to force calculation. If they are greying out on one tab they really should on the others.

Calculation is definitely set to Automatic. Even so, I tried pressing F10 during the draft to see if that would help. Sadly it did not. Note that the grey-out functionality worked for some players on the "offense" and "off-notes" tabs and 100% of the grey-out functionality worked on the "overall" tab.

I just downloaded a fresh copy of "draft_buddy_football_2018_1.0.xls" and even without any of my league settings, the problem is easy to recreate.

I think it has something to do with an error in the Conditional Formatting on this year's Draft Buddy (pre-2007, that is). When I look at past years, it looks like each cell on the "offense" and "off-notes" tabs have a 3-part Conditional Formatting setting -- one of those conditions handles the case where the player's name is right above the red-dashed Tier line. That third condition seems to be missing from this year's spreadsheet.

Quick update: I'm fairly certain I've confirmed it's a problem with the conditional formatting in the "offense" and "off-notes" worksheets of this year's pre-2007 version of Draft Buddy (aka, draft_buddy_football_2018_1.0.xls). When I perform a format-only copy of the corresponding worksheets from last year's draft buddy to this year's, the problem goes away. I'm just not sure if that might break something else? But at least I've narrowed the problem down.

Bob, thanks for the work on this. I will take a look at that .xls version more closely. I did run into a problem this year with my new Windows computer (which I was way overdue for). The new Windows computer ran old Excel, but the copy of Draft Buddy had problems for people who used that version... this is way back near the start of June So I scrapped it and created a new file from the old Windows computer, which was still kicking around. All appeared to be good with that one, and I didn't hear of any real issues with it until you presented me with this one. There was little reason for some of the conditional formatting to be missing, since I still started with last year's version, but the conditional formatting can be very finicky and just "disappear" at times. Sorry for the trouble you had with this.

Hi Mike,

I wanted to update you on the "Pre-2007 Excel" bug I described in the top of this thread from last year.  Unfortunately the same bug is still there in this year's "draft_buddy_football_2019_1.1.xls" file, on both the "offense" and "off-notes" worksheets.  To recap, when certain players get drafted (via the pull-down menus on the "draft report" tab or via the "Draft Player" button on the "summary" tab), those certain players names are not getting grayed out on the  "offense" and "off-notes" worksheets.  One thing I forgot to mention last year is that I noticed the bug only exists for players names that are in cells directly above the red-dashed line that delineates the player rank tiers.  All other players have their names grayed out automatically when drafted as normal.

I hope this helps for next year.  Good luck in your fantasy leagues!