Sign in to follow this  
PATSSOX

Standing Question....

We have #2-#4 teams all tie with 16-10 record.  The way CBS has it ranked the #2 seed lost to the #3 seed 1-2 in season series and beat the #4 seed 0-3.  The #4 seed beat the #3 seed 2-1 and lost to #1 seed 0-3 making it where none of the 3 teams won season series over both the other seeds.  So our next tie breaker would be points and the way it comes out is the #4 seed has most points followed by the #3 seed and then the #2 seed.  

So help me if im wrong but should the seeding be reversed and since the next tie break is points the #4 seed should actually be #2 seed, #3 seed be #3 seed and the #2 seed should actually drop down to #4

Why it matters so much is that the way we do our playoffs the #1 seed picks between #5-#8 who he wants to play first round followed by #2 who gets to pick between the remaining seeds so its actually a pretty big deal.  

Yes I agree. We go through this crap every year too. I think we're going to move to record and then the tiebreaker points. Just much easier than trying to figure out division wins

3 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Yes I agree. We go through this crap every year too. I think we're going to move to record and then the tiebreaker points. Just much easier than trying to figure out division wins

We moved to just all play in one division to make sure the best 8 teams make it.  Sometimes in division play a team can get screwed

3 minutes ago, Mile High Magic said:

One division you play two teams twice. Record then Points tiebreak.

We play each other 3 times we play 2 games a week.  So it goes to points since none of the 3 teams beat both the other 2 and we all split 

We have 4 divisions of 3 teams. That way you can play everyone in your division twice and then everyone else once....

Works in some ways and doesn't and others.

Im lobbying for us to take the 4 division winners and then whoever is most in points for the 2 wild cards no matter the record

Looks like the number 2 seed record against the 3 and 4 seed is 4-2. The number 3 seed is 3-3. And the number 4 seed is 2-4.

We do it head to head among all tied teams. Then division record, then total points.

1 hour ago, imgmoney said:

Looks like the number 2 seed record against the 3 and 4 seed is 4-2. The number 3 seed is 3-3. And the number 4 seed is 2-4.

We do it head to head among all tied teams. Then division record, then total points.

That makes sense too and didnt even think of that.  But then you could say why is #3 seed ahead of #4 seed when the #4 seed won 2 of 3 from the #3 seed.  We dont have a division so next tie breaker goes to points.  

1 hour ago, imgmoney said:

I went with your explanation.   I am commish and we have always done by points in these situations.  And i am #4 seed so i would have been #2 seed but i think i went with  the right way.  

16 hours ago, PATSSOX said:

I went with your explanation.   I am commish and we have always done by points in these situations.  And i am #4 seed so i would have been #2 seed but i think i went with  the right way.  

We had the same problem a number of years ago. There was a 4 way tie and 3 of 4 made it. The one team who didn’t was not happy, but the first tiebreaker was head to head. I always liked total points as the first tiebreaker, but the majority of the league wanted head to head first. The guy who didn’t make it got out of the league the following year, which was no big loss, didn’t really care for the guy anyway. Then the year after wanted to get back in. Was not happening.

I am the commish and that was the fairest way to do it with the way the rules were set up. That is the way the NFL breaks ties in divisions with more than 2 tied teams. I also emphasized in the rules the following year the first tiebreaker was head to head among all tied teams.