Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Solar Cycle 25

The sun has a solar cycle.  It goes from minimal sunspot and solar flare activity to a maximum.  The length of time between peak activity is somewhere around 11-12 years.  The last cycle peaked around 2012.  Solar Cycle 25 will peak roughly around 2024.  The first X-Flare of Solar Cycle 25 occurred on July 3rd, 2021.

https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2021/07/05/first-x-flare-of-solar-cycle-25/

First X-flare of Solar Cycle 25

July 5, 2021 / Dr.Tony Phillips

July 3, 2021: Now, Solar Cycle 25 has really begun. On July 3rd, new sunspot AR2838 produced the first X-class solar flare since Sept. 2017. NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the extreme ultraviolet flash:

The July 3rd explosion registered X1.5 on the Richter Scale of Solar Flares

A pulse of X-rays ionized the top of Earth’s atmosphere, causing a shortwave radio blackout over the Atlantic Ocean: blackout map. Mariners, aviators, and amateur radio operators may have noticed unusual propagation effects below 30 MHz just after 1429 UT.

X-flares are the strongest kind of solar flare. They are typically responsible for the deepest radio blackouts and the most intense geomagnetic storms. This is the first X-flare of young Solar Cycle 25. More are in the offing. During the previous solar cycle (Solar Cycle 24) the sun produced 49 of them. Forecasters believe that Solar Cycle 25 should be at least that active. We can therefore expect dozens more X-flares as the sun approaches Solar Maximum in the year ~2025. Solar flare alerts: SMS Text.

It's so weird. One of my friends became super stretchy, the other one became a hot naked chick, and as for me? It's clobbering  time!

We're thinking of calling ourselves the fabulous three.

13 hours ago, wiffleball said:

It's so weird. One of my friends became super stretchy, the other one became a hot naked chick, and as for me? It's clobbering  time!

We're thinking of calling ourselves the fabulous three.

That's fine, just please don't make any movies.  :nono:

• Haha 2