Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Death Pool Update: Herb Kohl at 88

Generations of Wisconsin sports fans have been able to root for the “Milwaukee” Bucks because of Herb Kohl, who prevented the NBA franchise from moving from his hometown not once, but twice.

“It’s nice to even think about the time that we spent together and what he did,” current Bucks governor Wes Edens said. “In many circumstances, whether it’s business or friendship, my dad would say, ‘Don’t pay attention to what people say, pay attention to what people do.’

“And there’s no better example that I can think of than what he did to ensure that the Milwaukee Bucks stayed in Milwaukee. That’s extraordinary.”

In 2021, the Bucks were able to do just that and won the ultimate prize, capturing the team’s first NBA championship since 1971. Giannis Antetokounmpo and Khris Middleton were the last two players to play for a Kohl-owned Bucks team. They were critical in bringing a title to Milwaukee for the first time in half a century. For Antetokounmpo and Middleton, Kohl represented community and family.

“I’m praying for his family,” Antetokounmpo said, “It’s a guy that took care of me when I came in and made me feel comfortable, but most importantly, he made my family feel comfortable. He helped a lot with the process of bringing my family over.

“He’s done so many things for the city of Milwaukee, so many things for the Milwaukee Bucks organization. He’s definitely going to be missed.”

“Just a bright light in Milwaukee,” Middleton said. “He was a big part of me coming to Milwaukee and of me staying in Milwaukee, but also the team and the entire organization. I know how generous he was and how well-respected he was across the country. So rest in peace to him. I hope his family is doing well and he and his family will continue to be in my prayers.”

Senator Herb Kohl receives his ring!! pic.twitter.com/XdMc85aECp

— Milwaukee Bucks (@Bucks) October 19, 2021

“He loved the Bucks. Period,” Edens said. “And he took great joy in the success that the organization has had, especially in the last five years or so, and of course, in particular, three years ago when we won a championship. He took tremendous pleasure and pride in that.”

Following Kohl’s passing, the NBA shared a statement from Adam Silver in which the commissioner called Kohl “a dear friend and one of our very best public servants.”

“In addition to his decades of devoted service in the U.S. Senate, he set the standard for NBA team ownership as the governor of his hometown Milwaukee Bucks for nearly 30 years,” Silver said. “There was never any doubt about his extraordinary commitment to the franchise and city that he loved, and his vision and unparalleled financial contribution towards a new arena in Milwaukee will forever be remembered.”

Bucks coach Adrian Griffin, who got his start as an NBA assistant with the Bucks in 2008, remembered an owner who added a personal touch, greeting employees by name.

“Just learned after the game that Senator Kohl passed away,” Griffin said. “I just want to send our condolences on behalf of the entire Bucks family and organization. He was always generous and always kind to me. I got to work for the Bucks back in 2008, 2009 and (he was) just a humanitarian.

“It’s a big loss for our Bucks organization … the entire (city) of Milwaukee. Just a special human being. If you ever got to know Senator Kohl, he was the best.”

When asked to reflect on Kohl’s impact on the Bucks and the city of Milwaukee though, Edens made it clear that words would likely not do it justice because the Senator’s actions had already spoken volumes.

“He could have sold probably to a higher bidder,” Edens said “… There were a number of different parties interested in making the investment and all of them were focused, for the most part, on moving the Bucks. And he wanted to sell and he drove a hard bargain and we paid the highest price anyone had ever paid, but then he turned around and took $100 million out of his pocket to make sure that we built an arena and kept the Bucks in town.

“That’s actually who he was.”

And for that, Bucks fans should be forever grateful.

I'm grateful, wouldn't have had pro basketball to attend growing up if it weren't for him.  RIP. 

44 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I'm grateful, wouldn't have had pro basketball to attend growing up if it weren't for him.  RIP. 

Yep, he saved the Bucks franchise.  RIP.

Funny story: When i was activated for Desert Storm/Desert Shield, my grandma unbeknownst to me called his office to try and get me out of it and he actually called down to the unit to see if it was possible.  Didn't work. In fact, I got the worst ass chewing ever by a Captain who had it out for me from that point forward. Every sh#t detail had me on it.  Every mess duty was me.  Every late evening/early morning watch had me on it.

That SOB never went with us to Iraq, but for the first 3 months in North Carolina my life was miserable as a Marine.

24 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Yep, he saved the Bucks franchise.  RIP.

Funny story: When i was activated for Desert Storm/Desert Shield, my grandma unbeknownst to me called his office to try and get me out of it and he actually called down to the unit to see if it was possible.  Didn't work. In fact, I got the worst ass chewing ever by a Captain who had it out for me from that point forward. Every sh#t detail had me on it.  Every mess duty was me.  Every late evening/early morning watch had me on it.

That SOB never went with us to Iraq, but for the first 3 months in North Carolina my life was miserable as a Marine.

I doubt we will here that story at the eulogy, pretty funny though, thanks for sharing.