Sign in to follow this  
Bill Swerski

TR

I'll be stopping by for dinner tonight, I'm all moved in to the new crib in Oak Park.

MNF Party at Tusekan's House! Pick up some Leinie's for me!

Learned a few lessons so far....

- Never drive down Lake Street to go to work downtown. :-B

- The Dominick's on Lake Street is the Ghetto Grocer :D

- The Oak Park garbagemen want all of the garbage wrapped up in a neat little bundle or else they will leave everything for next week :D

- Parking on the street at night is not advisable unless you want a ticket

- Snootiest people in Chicagoland??? The answer is Oak Parkers.... :D My neighbor has a Hemingway fascination and has the beard, funny hats and penchance for scotch.

- Most importantly, NEVER ride the Green Line after 10PM... :eek:

Originally posted by Bill Swerski:

My neighbor has a Hemingway fascination and has the beard, funny hats and penchance for scotch.

I thought Call Me...Ju-Day lived in Texas? :confused:

I don't think you've met many or the right OPers yet, if you think they are the snootiest people in Chicagoland. Christ, have you never met someone from the North Shore? Are you sure you're not in River Forest?

Anyway, most of the people I've met are down to earth. Most have young families like me, and want to be close to the city, but wanted a backyard and everything in good neighborhoods in the city now is a townhouse. They either are living in the burbs for the first time too, or moved closer from outer suburbs.

The only snootiness I can see comes from OP being a really diverse community. But, like with torridjoe, if you just avoid discussing things like politicals and social issues, and their unrealistic and hypocritical views on them, and stick to kids and sports and the community, you find they are good people. I also think their is a common complex shared with River Forest, and how they are the snooty ones and people in OP are somehow better for living in a more diverse community and next to the heroin distribution capital of the Midwest.

That Lake Street Dominick's sucks. There is a Jewel farther west on Lake, across Harlem, that we usually go to.

Augusta or Division go faster downtown, but go through the same bad neighborhoods. I don't mind it, but you better keep your head on swivel and foot over the accelerator at stops at night. I usually just take 290. It only really congests in a few places downtown, and the worst doesn't start until Austin, where you get off, on the way home.

You can't park on the streets overnight. They start ticketing at 2am. Although not uncommon in burbs, it seems to be one of the many things in place to buffer the ghetto across Austin and prevent white flight. Another is you cannot get into OP off a sidestreet on Austin. All are either cul de sacs or one way east. You also cannot have 'for sale' signs on the lawn. It's all pretty interesting socialogically and in terms of the revitalization OP had the last few decades.

Try the 4 cheese grilled cheese at Erik's Deli. Marion Street Grille is pricey, but good. Get your subs from Alpine, bbq beef at Russell's, and Italian beefs/sausages from Johnnie's (all in Elmwood Park). Forest Park just added a Francesca restaurant, some of my favorite Italian in all Chicagoland. I like Peppinos to sit outside and it's very informal, in Elmwood Park too. Lots of good Italian in the area.

No entry found for penchance.

1 suggestion found:

perchance

:confused:

try this one:

pen·chant n.

A definite liking; a strong inclination. :D

Originally posted by Tusekan Raiders:

But, like with torridjoe, if you just avoid discussing things like politicals and social issues, and their unrealistic and hypocritical views on them, and stick to kids and sports and the community, you find they are good people.

Hey now! :D :D

I also think their is a common complex shared with River Forest, and how they are the snooty ones and people in OP are somehow better for living in a more diverse community and next to the heroin distribution capital of the Midwest.

I'm actually pretty close to Austin Blvd. Only three blocks to the West, I catch the Green line to go downtown at that stop. It's funny how sharp the line is between the two neighborhoods. It's like night and day. My neighbors seem to be pretty snooty on all sides, very proud of the "diversity", they are a lot older than me and know their homes are goldmines. On the southside of my house, the guy bought his house for $149,900 11 years ago and his current value is $488,000. He has only told me this about 17 times so far. :D The other guy as mentioned has a Hemingway fixation and has reading parties at his house once a week.

That Lake Street Dominick's sucks.  There is a Jewel farther west on Lake, across Harlem, that we usually go to.

I didn't know this was a dry town until I moved here. We have since started going to that Jewel, mainly because Dominick's has no beer :D

Augusta or Division go faster downtown, but go through the same bad neighborhoods.  I don't mind it, but you better keep your head on swivel and foot over the accelerator at stops at night.  I usually just take 290.

I'll start taking the 290. As a former Southside resident, I have always avoided the Expressways as the Dan Ryan was always SUXOR!

Try the 4 cheese grilled cheese at Erik's Deli.  Marion Street Grille is pricey, but good.  Get your subs from Alpine, bbq beef at Russell's, and Italian beefs/sausages from Johnnie's (all in Elmwood Park).  

We have already tried most of the restaurants around here. Geppetto's is nice love that Baked Spaghetti pie, Papaspiro's for Greek, FlatTop Grill for Thai/Chinese, Cafe Winberie was really nice as well. Lots of good food out this way.

Lots of good Italian in the area.

Have anything to do with 30% of the population being "connected"? :D

Originally posted by torridjoe:

Hey now!    :D    :D

Hey, I said you're, essentially, good people. :D

I was wondering if anyone else would read something that long only essentially of interest to one other person to find that easter egg.

Originally posted by Bill Swerski:

Have anything to do with 30% of the population being "connected"?   :D

There is no such thing as the mafia.

Gepetto's pizza is terrible. Their other food is OK, but you're wasting your time eating there too often. Plenty of better choices.

I almost forgot pizza. I'm a big fan of Edwardo's, both deep and, when necessary b/c of the preference of company, the CMT cheese and gravy on a cracker version. Puree and Giordono's are OK too.

There is no such thing as the mafia.

How did I know you were gonna say that? Ditka and I decided that you were a Captain in the Genovese crime family....

As for pizza, agreed that Geppetto's sucks. We've been there all of three times. Once for lunch on the weekend and 2 other times as guests of a frined. The Spag Pie is good as are a few other dishes. Other than that, the place is pretty blah. I'll try Puree's as I don't much care for Edwardo's or Girdano's.