Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Article: Early Observations - AFC

It's time to sift through the off-season hype and discuss what matters for fantasy owners. Doug offers his post-minicamp analysis on every team in the AFC giving you a nice baseline of thought as we look forward to training camp. Always one of my favorites.

Early Observations - AFC

NFC coming next week...

You guys are churning out some great content. Can't wait for the NFC. I'm curious who's going to come out of the crowded giants backfield.

You guys are churning out some great content. Can't wait for the NFC. I'm curious who's going to come out of the crowded giants backfield.

Thanks nobody. More coming all Summer. If you have any topics or article ideas you want to see covered, let us know.

Spoiler alert: I may have given it away in my Rookie Impact article. :doh:

I'd say the observation on Oakland was pretty accurate, though I'd add a caveat or two.

The team DOES like Wash as a runner, but strictly as a relief for Murray. But rather than substitute only as a 3rd down pass catcher, he'll see rotational work early in games, perhaps taking every 4th or 5th series. The rook is said to be adept in the passing game, where he'll certainly see work, but his pass protection proficiency will dictate how much work he sees. At least early on.

Murray's percentage of the backfield work WILL decrease, but not to worry in my opinion. The Raider defense will be vastly improved in 2016 under Ken Norton Jr. In fact, my prediction is it will actually be a fantasy asset as a unit. It is very deep and talented both on the defensive line and in the secondary.

Additionally, the offensiveline has been strengthened as well. Pro Football Focus graded all five of its starters at a 79 or better last year, the highest in the league. This number actually would have been higher but Keleche Osemele played several games at tackle while subbing for Eugene Monroe, and graded lower at that position. The addition of KO gives Oakland the best interior offensive line, tackle -to -tackle, in the league.

All of this should mean a greater overall workload for the Raider backfield.

As for Musgrave, true he took heat from Raider fans last year. But the truth of the matter was his playbook was utilized at perhaps 40-45% at best. With a second year QB, essentially a rookie RB in Murray, and first year WRs in Coop and Crabs, plus a rookie in Walford at TE, and a new center calling the offensive line schemes, it was extremely dialed back. I look for things to open up significantly more this year.