Sign in to follow this  
snatchit

Can you read between the lines on these QB's and Jerry Jones ?

ok guys, they were talking about jerry moving up to get Manzel on the PATH TO THE DRAFT today. And everyone poo pooed on my statement. I think what was unbelievable was trading Romo at the same time. I get it, no one will pay his guaranteed but Jerry might sit on Manzel for a few years.

First of all - nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to take on a stitched up 34-year old qb with a Fort Knox contract. Forget about dealing Romo - ain't happening.

All that aside - Dallas is in piss poor position to offer anything of value to move up. We have singular picks thru the first 5 rounds, mid-position picks at that. It would take a 1st this year and at least a 1st next year to move up - prolly more. You can't exhaust those kind of resources just to have somebody sit on the bench and learn.

i am talking if he slipped and they had to move up just a few spots, and man there are some room haters out there

It would take a 1st this year and at least a 1st next year to move up - prolly more. You can't exhaust those kind of resources just to have somebody sit on the bench and learn.

weird math. a second was good enough to move up from 13th to 6th 2 seasons ago. granted, the dance partner (rams) was unusual, but i suspect DAL could move up several spots with a 3rd. the teams with similar wish lists are at 1.12 and 1.14. 1.13 (rams again) could probably be had for a 3rd, and a second could bring them into the top 10.

that said, i agree that trading up would be a bad idea. i like pryor's range at the current pick, and there are a lot of trade-down scenarios that could be helpful (ealy and jernigan, especially).

weird math. a second was good enough to move up from 13th to 6th 2 seasons ago. granted, the dance partner (rams) was unusual, but i suspect DAL could move up several spots with a 3rd.

Not weird at all. You are comparing entirely different situations.

* 2012: shipping a first round 14th pick and a 2nd round pick - to move up to the 6th spot.

* 2014: you're talking about dangling the first round 16th round pick and a 2nd, maybe 3rd, to move up to (what is looking like) at least the 3rd pick.

So you are offereing a later 1st round pick and wanting to move up higher than the 6th pick - that's the weird math I see......... But like I said - this is all for not. Nobody is going to take Romo off our hands and Manziel is not slipping past 5.

ah--i missed the mention of 1.03. i thought the discussion was about just moving up a few spots. moving to 1.03? yeah, that'd take 2 firsts.

no one said anything about moving up to the 3rd round, of course that would cost ya.. ask ALT or WASH. I am saying if for some reason he would slip say 12th or so. I just threw this out there because Jerry is a wild card in the draft

no one said anything about moving up to the 3rd round, of course that would cost ya.. ask ALT or WASH. I am saying if for some reason he would slip say 12th or so. I just threw this out there because Jerry is a wild card in the draft.

3rd round? Nobody is talking about the 3rd round.

the bottom line is.. he very well could slip more than people think. Just my opinion, and today I heard a ex GM say the same thing . If he slips past the 10th spot will Jerry be tempted. You guys crack me up with your knowledge.. " NO, NO ! " You don't know, as smart as you think you are...... and all this Romo sucks BS. The games he blows are games they shouldn't have even been close in score in the 1st place...... if it wasn't for him. He compensates for his past crappy oline., and scrambling to keep up from his crappy D letting teams score at will. This is just speculative .... jeez ! Why don't some of you do some research and just don't run with the uninformed crowd. It was just a cist on his first surgery but the second one was different. We will see. But to sit here and act like Romo isn't worth a 1st rounder is retarded. He held a clip board for 3 years, forget about his age. Why would Danny White say he is the best fit for the Cowboys, why would Roger and Troy say he is a great QB and like him a lot. They wouldn't say that just to say that.

ok guys, they were talking about jerry moving up to get Manzel on the PATH TO THE DRAFT today. And everyone poo pooed on my statement. I think what was unbelievable was trading Romo at the same time. I get it, no one will pay his guaranteed but Jerry might sit on Manzel for a few years.

Because you trade up, use a valuable first round pick, then sit the guy for a few years? Not to mention that Manziel seems like just the kind of guy who would be happy to bide his time.

I guess there's always the chance Jones would do it, as he's a truly horrible personnel guy. And I wish him many more years at the position.

the bottom line is.. he very well could slip more than people think. Just my opinion, and today I heard a ex GM say the same thing . If he slips past the 10th spot will Jerry be tempted. You guys crack me up with your knowledge.. " NO, NO ! " You don't know, as smart as you think you are...... and all this Romo sucks BS. The games he blows are games they shouldn't have even been close in score in the 1st place...... if it wasn't for him. He compensates for his past crappy oline., and scrambling to keep up from his crappy D letting teams score at will. This is just speculative .... jeez ! Why don't some of you do some research and just don't run with the uninformed crowd. It was just a cist on his first surgery but the second one was different. We will see. But to sit here and act like Romo isn't worth a 1st rounder is retarded. He held a clip board for 3 years, forget about his age. Why would Danny White say he is the best fit for the Cowboys, why would Roger and Troy say he is a great QB and like him a lot. They wouldn't say that just to say that.

I think you need to do your homework. Tony Romo has never won anything at any level but has also posted record setting stats. Does that sound familiar? HTH

Seen just about every Cowboys game since 1974. How far back should I start my research?

no body knows what jerry will do... just started a topic for discussion. If you have seen a lot of dallas football you know romo gets us out of a lot more jams than he gets us in.

no body knows what jerry will do... just started a topic for discussion. If you have seen a lot of dallas football you know romo gets us out of a lot more jams than he gets us in.

Okay, so what? Between his age (turned 34 today), the uncertainty with his back, and his huge ass contract - he is more of a burden than a savior at this point and time in his career.

manning, Brady and Brees are all older than Romo and they didn't hold a clip board for what ?? 3 years ? So him turning 34 today means nothing. The jury is out on his back... we will see. I understand there is a lot of Romo haters out there that know everything. Then there are idiots like Roger, Troy and Danny that say he is a great QB. I know Troy is a bit concerned about his back but the doctors are different now than when he went through that.... and he still played another 5 years.

I get it about his contract... but don't say a lot of teams wouldnt love to have him

Given that they assume his contract - name one....?

manning, Brady and Brees are all older than Romo and they didn't hold a clip board for what ?? 3 years ? So him turning 34 today means nothing.

Your argument never gets off the ground if it starts out comparing him to those 3........ Is Romo better than half the others in the league? Perhaps. But he's certainly not top 5 and it's a homer stretch to say he's top 10. At his age, with his health, and his financial hit - he's just not the kind of player that makes my pants jump up and down like it does yours apparently.

i am saying outside his contract

Well we might as well talk about where 2 legged unicorns who run 4.2 40's and bench 250 lbs. 40 times would go. The contract is real and it's not going away. If we're discussing Romo's value in relation to possible draft picks - it's extremely important.

homer stretch... lol good one

Better than Romo / rather have (locks): Manning, Brady, Brees, Kaepernick, Rodgers, Luck, Newton........ That's 7 right off the top - no brainers. You could make an argument for the final 3 spots - but then again, you're arguing over non-elite, pretty good, servicable quarterbacks. The face of the franchise, highest paid entity on the Dallas Cowboys roster - is not even the 7th best at his position? That's a terrible business plan to get back to the SB.

Better than Romo / rather have (locks): Manning, Brady, Brees, Kaepernick, Rodgers, Luck, Newton........ That's 7 right off the top - no brainers.

well, you've listed 4 eventual first-ballot hall of famers, 3 of whom already make more than romo, and another who is playing on an old contract. i'd take luck over romo, but the other two are questionable.

agreed... Romo will have his best oline and WR core of his career this year... same guys but another year to gel. and who knows maybe some no name guys will rise to the challenge in DEF and keep him from pressing so much. Kaepernick completely sucked last year, their running game and DEF won them games. Not saying he wont be great this year. I think Escobar will be a player this year, if they can keep Dunbar and Murray healthy they should both explode. ... and the 2nd yr wr Williams is a flat out stud. We know about Dez and Witten. Red J loves to throw, they bring in Linehan. Now I am getting of the subject of Romo's worth outside of the Cowboys. This year he will get more than his normal 4000 yrds and around 30 TD's. Ya Romo sucks

agreed... Romo will have his best oline and WR core of his career this year...

You can stop right there........

It isn't rocket science and it isn't coincidence - all the bells and whistles (rbs, wrs, tes, qbs) suddenly explode and have great years when the offensive line finally puts it together. It isn't that Escobar finally figured it out, it isn't that Dez finally learned the playbook, and it isn't that Murray finally learned the cutback - it's the beef up front, period. You get those guys woking in unison, moving the chains, controlling the clock - then the pretty boys can do what they do. Jerry has finally started to listen to the man in the mirror - Jerry has finally started to understand that you build from the inside out. Smith and Fredrick are great examples of this. I would love to see us take another offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds, in fact I would be ecstatic.

no kidding... Emmitt Smiths Oline were complete beasts, he hardly got touched at the line of scrimmage. Everyone poo pooed that Fredrick pick, I liked it. I think Jerry letting Ware go was a good sign, not that Ware couldn't have a career year but he actually let go an aging stud.

Remember back in 2010 San Fran had 2 1st round picks... what did they do ? They took an OT and OG they pretty much sucked back then. Those two are starters still and now they are one of the most feared teams. I would suggest they pass up SEA this year. Old man Gore was still money last year.. at his ADP. Cant wait to see if Lattimore bounces back from his injury. I bet he was stoked when SF called his name last year

OK you guys that enjoy arguing, the Dallas Camp said yesterday they will take Manzel if he is there at 16... So to go back to my question. If Manzel slips and he is sitting there where the Cowboys just have to move up a few spots will they. I say they will. So eat crow haters. Now some say Manzel could slip and some said he could go 1st. We will see, but you have to now validate my point

OK you guys that enjoy arguing, the Dallas Camp said yesterday they will take Manzel if he is there at 16... So to go back to my question. If Manzel slips and he is sitting there where the Cowboys just have to move up a few spots will they. I say they will. So eat crow haters. Now some say Manzel could slip and some said he could go 1st. We will see, but you have to now validate my point

I've been on your side on this. Maybe not in this thread, but in another thread on the first page of this forum I said I would be ecstatic if the Cowboys somehow can and do draft Johnny Football. :doublethumbsup:

i will need a cite for that. it is not mentioned on the official site, nor is it on bloggingtheboys.com (which almost always gets the news out faster).

DAL will not trade up to pick manziel. if he's there at 16, there will be a discussion. if they trade down, and he's still there at somehting like 24, there will be a very serious decision to be made. but they will not trade up to take him--it would undo much of the building process that they ghave been engaged in for the last 3 seasons.

i'm more than happy to make a sig bet on this.

i will need a cite for that. it is not mentioned on the official site, nor is it on bloggingtheboys.com (which almost always gets the news out faster).

DAL will not trade up to pick manziel. if he's there at 16, there will be a discussion. if they trade down, and he's still there at somehting like 24, there will be a very serious decision to be made. but they will not trade up to take him--it would undo much of the building process that they ghave been engaged in for the last 3 seasons.

i'm more than happy to make a sig bet on this.

I saw it on TV. It was either NFL Network or ESPN, probably NFL Network. Can't remember for sure.

ok thru multiple sources they said they will take him at 16... my question is do they have a number on where they may move up ? I would say maybe 3 spots. We will all see soon enough. For those of you saying no way... don't be so sure

As u are a cowboy fan, I understand you're frustration; I also understand why you're wearing the bag......America's team is no more.

hey... I hope like hell they don't get manzel. Oline is coming together.... like what was said... the whole O will be great if the Oline is great. I would like them get a lineman on either side of the ball... I still think Romo has a few good years left.

I want Manziel. I think he's going to be a superstar in the NFL. Look at Indianapolis transitioning from Peyton to Luck. But, I say let Romo play for another 3 or 4 years and then Manzel can take over for the next 12+ years after that. I remember how hard it was to find a QB after Aikman retired and Aikman was not very good in his last few years either so we lost probably close to a decade of even being competitive because of the QB situation. Manzel won't be available at 16 anyway, but just in case he is, be prepared to take him or trade the pick, but I would take him.

FOX Sports reports today The Cowboys will find a way to get Manziel. All this talk after I started this thread. I wonder if Dallas could trade Romo and next years 1st round pick to Houston. Houston really just needed a experienced good QB to get over the hump and possibly win it all. Really all Romo needs is a good D so he doesn't have to press and play catch up . Dallas could even pay Romo's salary this year and still afford a 1st round rookie. Then Houston would just be on the hook for 2 years with Romo. Houston would have 2 1st rounds picks next year and could get their QB of the future then and still make a run for the SB this year.

1st pick rookie, not 1st round. Anyways as I have been saying all along, only to be mocked as to not be surprised if these QB moves in the off season has a secret meaning. BTW I am not worried about his surgery, the 1st one was a cist and the 2nd one was the same as the one Aikman had.. Aikman played 5 years after that, and it was back when a torn ACL was pretty much career ending in some cases

again.. just saying you never know what JERRY will do. As a fan I am just numb and just worry about any guys that might be on my fantasy team.. regrettably.