Sign in to follow this  
Vertical Smiles

Just switched from a 10 team to 12 team league

A side from the obvious of the talent pool being thinner, I'd be espcecially interested in feedback from those who have made the switch as to what the noticable differences are both in the draft and in team management throughout the season.

It's a re-draft league, 18 roster spots, start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, K, DEF. Standard scoring, 1 pt per 10 yards RB/WR, 25 yards passing., 6 pt for TD's.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

To be honest, the only difference is going to be the thinner talent pool! I didn't notice any other difference when my league switched. RB's are at more of a premium, the more people that enter the league. 2 more people = 2 more RB's potentially gone in the first and possibly the second round. That's almost a tier's worth of RB's gone, possibly before your next pick. I found that I was grabbing a top WR earlier than before, because of this.

2 more teams competing in your league

12 is a solid number to have. The only major difference, as said above, is the talent pool being thinner. Actually, I also think that a more deserving owner wins when more teams are in a league. It puts more of a premium on doing your homework and studying players. I am actually in a 14 team league, and other then it being more difficult to schedule, it ensures you a more competitive league IMO.

ours has always been 12 team redraft. last year we made it PPR...it's even better now. we go 17 rounds, thought about making it 18 but we charge a fee for any drop/pick up you make wich gets thrown into the winners bucket at year end...the more rounds you go the less drop pickups there are which means fewer fees generated for the winner.

2 more teams competing in your league

and a longer draft

I wouldn't expect much of a difference in talent at QB or TE, but the differences at RB and WR are completely different. You cannot go QB-WR-WR and expect any semblance of a backfield.

I believe you will see a bit more parity in your leagues.

With the thinned out talent pool, it is harder for an owner or two to fill out a dominant roster. So, more often than not the teams will be a bit more even.

Joined my first 12 teamer last year with guys from here and all but one team was within 3 games of first at the end.

Expect more trades and a thinner waiver wire, though trades are also largely influenced by the collective owners' mentalities. Each year, I have a team in a 10-, 12-, and 14-team league (with three teams being my limit). I like the 14-teamer the best, and the 12-teamer more than the 10-teamer. With more teams, I have seen more flurries of trade activity since the waiver wire is that much thinner. For example, in our 14-teamer, no starting quarterbacks are ever available as free agents, and any injury fill-ins are snapped-up with the first waiver picks each week. The occasional desperation trade for a starter at QB by some unlucky fantasy owner is one interesting aspect of my 14-teamer each year.

With your roster in a 12-teamer (having no flex), having a solid 3rd WR and a top-5 TE would be a goal for me. I'd likely sit on QB's a bit longer and draft RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-WR or something similar before looking at QB's. Even though we have a juiced scoring format for QB's in our league, if you're not going to grab Peyton manning, the average point differential between the other top 12-14 QB's in my 12-team league is smaller than the differential between a solid #3 WR and a weak #3 WR. Even average QB's are guaranteed to see the ball each week; #3 fantasy WR's are not.

Expect more trades and a thinner waiver wire, though trades are also largely influenced by the collective owners' mentalities. Each year, I have a team in a 10-, 12-, and 14-team league (with three teams being my limit). I like the 14-teamer the best, and the 12-teamer more than the 10-teamer. With more teams, I have seen more flurries of trade activity since the waiver wire is that much thinner. For example, in our 14-teamer, no starting quarterbacks are ever available as free agents, and any injury fill-ins are snapped-up with the first waiver picks each week. The occasional desperation trade for a starter at QB by some unlucky fantasy owner is one interesting aspect of my 14-teamer each year.

With your roster in a 12-teamer (having no flex), having a solid 3rd WR and a top-5 TE would be a goal for me. I'd likely sit on QB's a bit longer and draft RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-WR or something similar before looking at QB's. Even though we have a juiced scoring format for QB's in our league, if you're not going to grab Peyton manning, the average point differential between the other top 12-14 QB's in my 12-team league is smaller than the differential between a solid #3 WR and a weak #3 WR. Even average QB's are guaranteed to see the ball each week; #3 fantasy WR's are not.

Thanks for putting some good thought into your response.