Sign in to follow this  
Hurricane Ditka

***Official Week #1 College Football***

First of all, I hate posting plays a day early, but I'm satisfied with the lines. Of course, these picks are subject to change, whether I cancel something or upgrade something. Anyway...

College YTD: 0-0

Thursday

Utah (+6.5) for 3 units

Kent (+3.5) for 2 units

Miami OH (+6) for 1 unit

UL Monroe (+3) for 1 unit

The line screams at you to take Oregon St laying less than a TD at home. But not so fast, my friend. Oregon St had a nice year, upsetting USC, winning their bowl game by a point, and finished in the top 25 in the final BCS standings. However, it was a one man team. QB Matt Moore struggled mightily early and was about to be benched until he caught fire, and Oregon St won 8 of their final 9 games. But the success of the team was directly attributed to Moore. And now he is gone. Two mediocre replacements are standing by to fill his shoes, but there will be a severe drop off. And a struggling QB will translate to a sluggish start, as history is due to repeat itself. Now, Oregon St is by no means a bad team, as they return 7 starting seniors on defense, and 8 starters on offense. But I feel that points will be at a premium. A few trends to consider: Utah is 21-4-1 as a road dog last 25, and 16-5-1 as a dog vs Pac-10 teams. Utah had a nice season, going 8-5, winning their bowl game, and taking highly ranked BYU to overtime in the Holy War rivalry game. Of their 5 losses, 4 of them came against bowl teams (UCLA, Boise St, TCU, and BYU). And even though they have one of the better defenses in the Mountain West, they will miss Eric Weddle, a future star in the NFL. However, it is important to note that star QB Brian Johnson missed the final portions of the 2005 season and all of the 2006 season with a knee injury. Before he got hurt, Johnson was 4th in the nation in passing with 337 yards passing per game. Utah returns 10 starters on offense, and every receiver that got any playing time last year. Am I excited by Utah's offensive potential this year? Absolutely. Brian Johnson will one of the best QBs in the nation this year, and easily the best in the MWC. The strengths of both teams will go against the strengths of both teams, and the same goes for weakness vs weakness. This game is a tossup, but I think Utah is the better team, and I will take the points.

Iowa St was brutal last year, 4-8 overall, 1-7 in the Big XII. And things will only get worse, as they return only 9 starters, and bring in a brand new coaching staff. They bring back veteran Bret Meyer at QB, but his stats are below mediocre. Hell, Iowa St will rotate RBs because they have no clue who is good enough to be their starter. Their defense allowed 30.8 points per game last year. Kent looked like the best team in the MAC for a while last year, started the season 5-2, before faltering down the stretch, finishing 6-6, 5-3 in the underrated MAC conference. They return 17 starters. QB Julian Edelman is a dual threat, as he passed for around 1900 yards last year, and ran for another 660. Kent has a dominating running attack as well, #39 in the nation last year. Kent finished a rock solid #24 in defense in the nation last year. There is no doubt in my mind that Kent is the better team, and I'll take the points.

Miami OH had a terrible year last season, but in their game vs Ball St, outgained them in yardage by a wide margin, but managed to lose the game. Ball St is one dimensional: they throw the ball. They can't run. They are terrible on defense, giving up 435 yards per game, 5th worst in the nation, and only return 5 starters from that defense. On the other hand, Miami Oh ranked #9 in the nation vs the pass last year. I like Miami OH to keep it close, and taking points vs a tremendously leaky defense.

Tulsa is in full rebuilding mode, new coaching staff, brand new offensive schemes, returning 11 starters, and QB Paul Smith. Every significant WR is gone. The defense is switching to a 3-3-5 scheme, which is a huge change as well. UL Monroe struggled last year, but won 3 of their final four games, and enter this season with some momentum. They return 17 starters. The offense last year wasn't bad, ranked #55, and figures to get better as they return all 11 starters. This is a play against Tulsa as much as a play on a live home dog with UL Monroe.

Good luck to all.

hopefully you can repeat the last 2 years and i can reap the benefits :doublethumbsup:

keep us updated

If it gets to +21, I might have to take Miss St. The points would be awfully tempting.

The line is stuck at 19.5 for me. Pass. Although, I think Miss St is the right side. They will be decent this year, and LSU is missing a QB and two WR that were 1st NFL picks this year. Miss St could hang around until the end. But...I'm passing.

LSU is missing a QB and two WR that were 1st NFL picks this year.

Matt Flynn>JaMarcus Russell...it will be revealed soon enough

As far as WR goes, Early Doucet is bad as in good. I hope they gel early! (No pun)

ETA: This ones all about LSUs defense and turnovers leading to easy scores, at least thats what im betting (fingers crossed) And I never was a fan of JaMarky Mark

Sorry to be late posting, but have been on the road all week.

I took:

Miss St +19.5 : I have no confidence in Les Miles, who is a mediocre coach that interviews and recruits really well imo. The Bulldogs have a chance to give themselves a good feeling that can last for a couple weeks just by keeping this home game close.

Iowa State -3.5: Essentially, the odds makers are saying that the talent and coaching at Kent is superior to that at a Big 12 school. I just can't accept that until I see it myself.

That's it for me tonight. Going to enjoy seeing my Scarlet Knights begin their push into the Top 10!

Adding:

Buffalo (+13) 2nd H for 2 units@-105 WINNER

I'll be throwing out 2nd half plays all season long. The fact that Buffalo has an excellent record of covering huge spreads the last couple of years, coupled with a lively QB that can move the ball, and with Rutgers up 28-0 and about to call off the dogs, I can't resist taking Buffalo +41 for the game.

Kent/Iowa St is a turnover fest, but scoreless. Miami OH is up 7-3 at the half, but missed 2 FGs, so I am pissed about that.

Gentlmen (and Ditka and Philly),

Missed you all. Hope everyone is well.

I'm playing poker semi-pro like now. Matter of fact won my first tourney yesterday at the Bike for a little over 7 grand. It was way cool.

I've been lurking the last couple of weeks, getting ready for my FF draft. I'm defending my first SB crown.

Don't normally like to play the first couple of weeks of the CFB season.

I'm excited however and looking forward to mixing it up once I've formed some opinions. Best of luck to all.

Nevermind, Here is OGAR. Wasn't sure how that Catch a Predator thing was working out for you.

Buffalo with a FG. YeSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! After coming up empty with a drive at the start of the 2nd half, the points are much appreciated.

Apparently, the Utah/Oregon St game in on the Fox Sports College channel with NFL networks package. I was going to boycott the NFL channel because of the 5 bucks a month, but I had a big play on a WNBA 2nd half play, and they were part of the package...I feel so unclean......

Kent up 9-7 at the half. :overhead: Ugly, ugly, UGLY.

Here comes Tulsa.

Hell, here comes LSU. If I bet the game with the dog, I'd be pissed. :unsure:

LSU is playing lateral football and they are not attacking the field vertically. WTF is that coaching staff doing. The #2 team in country my azz, they look rotten in this first half. That being said the defense is pitching a shut out and they will get some points at the half.

Oregon State and my man Bernard is going to roll one on Utah. Nobody better cry when that happens tonight.

I am half way in on a bottle of Bombay Saffffire! Pretty soon the wife is going to see McLovin!

LSU is playing lateral football and they are not attacking the field vertically. WTF is that coaching staff doing. The #2 team in country my azz, they look rotten in this first half. That being said the defense is pitching a shut out and they will get some points at the half.

Oregon State and my man Bernard is going to roll one on Utah. Nobody better cry when that happens tonight.

I am half way in on a bottle of Bombay Saffffire! Pretty soon the wife is going to see McLovin!

I will be finishing at least a 1/5 of rum tonight. My boss is out tomorrow at work, so it doesn't matter.

Ditka/Yer Mom: What's your best play for Saturday? Regardless of whether or not LSU can hold on to win this thing by 18 or more, I'm going to put a decent amount on your best consensus pick?

Ditka/Yer Mom: What's your best play for Saturday? Regardless of whether or not LSU can hold on to win this thing by 18 or more, I'm going to put a decent amount on your best consensus pick?

Just to throw my hat in the ring, consider New Mexico. They are likely to be my only 3 unit play on Saturday. I wish I caught them

before -3.5

Its fockin unreal that they had Hester back there when Williams is absolutely the better back, hell Hollidays speed is worth having him in over Hester. Slow first half offensively but they should score about 3 TDs in the 2nd half scoring a team total 38-45 which should help us cover comfortably.

I was pullin my hair out on that offensive playcalling :unsure:

Just to throw my hat in the ring, consider New Mexico. They are likely to be my only 3 unit play on Saturday. I wish I caught them

before -3.5

Actually, I am fixing to add 3 more plays to my list and New Mexico is one of them so I will side with Philly on that one. Tulsa was my only 3 unit play so far. I will repost all my plays here shortly.

I would just like to state for the record, turnovers are focking me up the ass tonight.

FOCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I am fixing to add 3 more plays to my list and New Mexico is one of them so I will side with Philly on that one. Tulsa was my only 3 unit play so far. I will repost all my plays here shortly.

What's your best bet though (tomorrow or Saturday)? You too, Yer Mom. New Mexico sounds great if you're on board along with Ditka & philly.

NCAA 0-0

NFL 9-8 (-.5 units)

I just played my first 3 games of the season.

LSU, I agree that the early line looks like a favorable play even with LSU on the road. Many are picking LSU to be in the national title game and this could be the early statement to back it up. I think other than USC this team has the most talent on both sides of the ball in the country.

Head to Head: LSU are 9-1 ATS in their last 10 meetings.

LSU -18 (2 units)

Even though Iowa State finished last in the Big 12 North last season I think they are going to come out, at home, a step ahead of Kent State.

78% of the public is betting on Iowa State right now.

Iowa State -3.5 (1 unit)

I have no idea why Oregon State is not ranked in the top 25 coming into the season this year. I am going to start my own Yvenson Bernard Heisman watch right here, right now. Right now 77% of the betting public is on Oregon State and you can put me with the majority. This game is at Oregon State as well. I like this game to go 33-21 Beavers.

Oregon State -7 (2 units)

I think I am going to go with a play based off of last season. UL-Monroe was terrible and finished the season with like 7 straight losses to some pathetic teams. Tulsa on the other hand has a pretty solid running game and this line doesn't really scare me off. Tulsa is 11-3 ATS in their last 14 road games.

Tulsa -3 (3 units)

I really like the over 40.5 between Virginia Tech and East Carolina. NOT because I think this will be a close game I just don't want to lay -28 on a defensive team. East Carolina's starting QB is suspended and their starter hasn't thrown a college pass and he is going to Va Tech against that Defense in that House??? I think the Hoakies will stomp a mudhole in their azzes and be in mop up by the 3rd quarter. I like the total points best in this game.

Va Tech/East Carolina over 40.5 (1 unit)

I like UAB on the road against Michigan State. Michigan State has always been a tough gamble as they have been so up and down. Scores and Odds has the game favoring the Spartans by 13 so the 21.5 line has some value. UAB could just win this game period in my opinion.

UAB +21.5 (1 unit)

I think Washington State is set up to get just WHACKED at Wisconsin. WASU is 0-5 in the last few season openers and they return a few starters on offense including QB Alex Brink. Wisconsin on the other hand has a ton of expectation. For 14 points at home for a top 10 preseason team in the country against a team picked to finish 8th or 9th in the Pac 10 there is value with the Badgers.

Wisconsin -14 (2 units)

I personally think that UCLA can score 1,000 points this Saturday against Stanford. Maybe even that figure is low. I also expect some creativity from Jim Harbaugh the first year coach at Stanford and I look for this to be a fun game for some reason. I will take the Ovah!

UCLA/Stanford over 46.5 (2 units)

I looked at the Oklahoma game and I see that the Sooners are going to be missing their tailback. I see 41 points being offered to take North Texas. Truelly, the Sooners should beat N.Texas by as many points as they want to. I just think 41 points is worth looking at for the first game of the season and will give it a go.

North Texas +41 (1 unit)

I am an Illini fan and I am excited about the future for them. Until they show that they can compete I just don't believe in them. That being sain Missourri is not that much better, but I think they are better. This would be one that I would love to see Juice prove me wrong on.

Missourri -4 (1 unit)

Not a Husker fan even at home. Not a believer in Callahan and their new QB Keller was up and down at ASU. That all being said Nevada has to replace Rowe but I have been a huge fan of their offensive system. The Huskers should win at home but I like the points and Nevada.

Nevada +21.5 (1 unit)

I am going to go with a home play here and take Notre Dame at home as my bookie has this game at -1 and I like that value versus Georgia Tech. I was going to wait and see what kind of team the Irish will be this year but I think the home team is worth 1 unit.

Notre Dame -1 (1 unit)

I was looking at New Mexico as a play early but the problem is I haven't found enough good information on El Paso. At -3 I like the preseason forecast enough on New Mexico to make a play here. Plus Philly backed it.

New Mexico -3 (2 units)

Finally, and I hope to not add any more games but I can't resist on this game. I hate interstate rivalry games but I have long been a fan of Colorado's coach and ScoresandOdds has the Buffaloes as 12 point side. I am going to make this my biggest play of the weekend.

Colorado -2.5 (4 units)

There are alot of games that I am saying "wait and see" on because after I search around I say "push". So I am not posting an opinion on them.

Update plays. Go Beavers!

What's your best bet though (tomorrow or Saturday)? You too, Yer Mom. New Mexico sounds great if you're on board along with Ditka & philly.

Depending on how I do tonight I may add a play or two for Friday.

I am coaching high school football again this year though so no drinking or watching games on Friday nights.

Depending on how I do tonight I may add a play or two for Friday.

I am coaching high school football again this year though so no drinking or watching games on Friday nights.

If LSU wins, sounds like I'm going to let it ride on N. Mexico. Believe me, it sounds more daring than it is.

If both Ditka and Philly are strong on something right now, cant get much better than that. I really havent looked at anything for the weekend yet as I plan to do my brainstorming and playpicking on the plane ride to Vegas tomorrow :doh:

If both Ditka and Philly are strong on something right now, cant get much better than that. I really havent looked at anything for the weekend yet as I plan to do my brainstorming and playpicking on the plane ride to Vegas tomorrow B)

Can you do a desperate mush a favor and just look at N. Mexico and let me know what you think? Thanks!

Can you do a desperate mush a favor and just look at N. Mexico and let me know what you think? Thanks!

Crystal ball says....

:whateverditkaandphillysay: B)

Oh, FWIW, Im not 100% on it yet and I HATE betting against Tennessee, but I am looking at Cal laying redemption in Berkeley this week. They should be ready for this one like its the superbowl

Good Luck!!

Crystal ball says....

:whateverditkaandphillysay: :lol:

Oh, FWIW, Im not 100% on it yet and I HATE betting against Tennessee, but I am looking at Cal laying redemption in Berkeley this week. They should be ready for this one like its the superbowl

Good Luck!!

I'm no college football genius, but I've been thinking Cal should win this game by more then a TD. Sixteen starters back should mean something. At home with Tenn flying across country. Redemption after last year. Cal should win by at least 14 points.

I would never, ever go against Ditka, but I just don't like that Wisconsin play. I'm from Big Ten country and without doing research, it just seems to me that Wisconsin doesn't fair too well in pre-conference play. They generally win the games, but it just seems they struggle quite a bit. Again, I say this without doing any research. Just using my memory, which has failed me quite a few times. Take it for what it is worth.

I wish that Michigan/Appalachian State game had a line. Michigan won't be covering too many lines this year.

I wish that Michigan/Appalachian State game had a line. Michigan won't be covering too many lines this year.

The line is 25.5

The line is 25.5

I didn't see it on my site. That does surprise me. Guess Vegas understands Michigan's history rather well. This one has "sucker bet" written all over it. Most will jump on Michigan at home versus a Div. I-AA school based on "name brand" and rankings. Very nice move by Vegas.

Boys, thanks for the winner. Was slow to get out of the gate, but they kicked ass in the 2nd half. Hopefully, I can double up again with your next strong play! (Cuse perhaps?)

:music_guitarred:

Good luck this season gents. I'll be posting in the gambling threads as much as I can or until I go busto :music_guitarred:

My book this year is pinnaclesports.com

NCAA: 0-0

NFL: 0-0

Only like 1 Thursday game.

LSU -18: 1 unit to win .9 units. WINNER

Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead. Looks like everyone faired well today. Be back Saturday for more picks.

LSU -17.5

If Matt Flynn doesnt even complete a pass, LSU will run for 5 TDs on these clowns. The Tigers are the deepest at RB position that they've ever been in their university history and Mississippi State couldnt stop my grandma from running for 190 plus 3TDs (course shes 6'4" 240, drives a mac truck)

Once LSU has a nice 28-0 lead which should be by the 2nd quarter, in comes Ryan Perrilout (sp) a gifted running QB who will just make fools of MS's defense.

Im thinkin a final score of 45-7 is in the making, the only question should probably be will MS even score against LSU's supersick D. Im layin the lumber now cause I think that line should be more like -20 by gametime.

Good luck!!

-Yer mom

Nailed LSU's final, scuse me will I stroke myself here gentlemen........done. Off to Vegas tomorrow, they best shut the books before I get there :music_guitarred:

Good luck this weekend!!