Sign in to follow this  
Hurricane Ditka

***Official Week #1 College Football***

First of all, I hate posting plays a day early, but I'm satisfied with the lines. Of course, these picks are subject to change, whether I cancel something or upgrade something. Anyway...

College YTD: 0-0

Thursday

Utah (+6.5) for 3 units LOSER

Kent (+3.5) for 2 units WINNER

Miami OH (+6) for 1 unit WINNER

UL Monroe (+3) for 1 unit LOSER

Adding Buffalo (+13) 2nd H for 2 units WINNER

The line screams at you to take Oregon St laying less than a TD at home. But not so fast, my friend. Oregon St had a nice year, upsetting USC, winning their bowl game by a point, and finished in the top 25 in the final BCS standings. However, it was a one man team. QB Matt Moore struggled mightily early and was about to be benched until he caught fire, and Oregon St won 8 of their final 9 games. But the success of the team was directly attributed to Moore. And now he is gone. Two mediocre replacements are standing by to fill his shoes, but there will be a severe drop off. And a struggling QB will translate to a sluggish start, as history is due to repeat itself. Now, Oregon St is by no means a bad team, as they return 7 starting seniors on defense, and 8 starters on offense. But I feel that points will be at a premium. A few trends to consider: Utah is 21-4-1 as a road dog last 25, and 16-5-1 as a dog vs Pac-10 teams. Utah had a nice season, going 8-5, winning their bowl game, and taking highly ranked BYU to overtime in the Holy War rivalry game. Of their 5 losses, 4 of them came against bowl teams (UCLA, Boise St, TCU, and BYU). And even though they have one of the better defenses in the Mountain West, they will miss Eric Weddle, a future star in the NFL. However, it is important to note that star QB Brian Johnson missed the final portions of the 2005 season and all of the 2006 season with a knee injury. Before he got hurt, Johnson was 4th in the nation in passing with 337 yards passing per game. Utah returns 10 starters on offense, and every receiver that got any playing time last year. Am I excited by Utah's offensive potential this year? Absolutely. Brian Johnson will one of the best QBs in the nation this year, and easily the best in the MWC. The strengths of both teams will go against the strengths of both teams, and the same goes for weakness vs weakness. This game is a tossup, but I think Utah is the better team, and I will take the points.

Iowa St was brutal last year, 4-8 overall, 1-7 in the Big XII. And things will only get worse, as they return only 9 starters, and bring in a brand new coaching staff. They bring back veteran Bret Meyer at QB, but his stats are below mediocre. Hell, Iowa St will rotate RBs because they have no clue who is good enough to be their starter. Their defense allowed 30.8 points per game last year. Kent looked like the best team in the MAC for a while last year, started the season 5-2, before faltering down the stretch, finishing 6-6, 5-3 in the underrated MAC conference. They return 17 starters. QB Julian Edelman is a dual threat, as he passed for around 1900 yards last year, and ran for another 660. Kent has a dominating running attack as well, #39 in the nation last year. Kent finished a rock solid #24 in defense in the nation last year. There is no doubt in my mind that Kent is the better team, and I'll take the points.

Miami OH had a terrible year last season, but in their game vs Ball St, outgained them in yardage by a wide margin, but managed to lose the game. Ball St is one dimensional: they throw the ball. They can't run. They are terrible on defense, giving up 435 yards per game, 5th worst in the nation, and only return 5 starters from that defense. On the other hand, Miami Oh ranked #9 in the nation vs the pass last year. I like Miami OH to keep it close, and taking points vs a tremendously leaky defense.

Tulsa is in full rebuilding mode, new coaching staff, brand new offensive schemes, returning 11 starters, and QB Paul Smith. Every significant WR is gone. The defense is switching to a 3-3-5 scheme, which is a huge change as well. UL Monroe struggled last year, but won 3 of their final four games, and enter this season with some momentum. They return 17 starters. The offense last year wasn't bad, ranked #55, and figures to get better as they return all 11 starters. This is a play against Tulsa as much as a play on a live home dog with UL Monroe.

Good luck to all.

:pointstosky: Here's to football season! :pointstosky:

:cheers:

"College Football: Giving Raider fans something to watch in the fall since 1970."

:banana:

First of all, I hate posting plays a day early, but I'm satisfied with the lines. Of course, these picks are subject to change, whether I cancel something or upgrade something. Anyway...

College YTD: 0-0

Thursday

Utah (+6.5) for 3 units

Kent (+3.5) for 2 units

Miami OH (+6) for 1 unit

UL Monroe (+3) for 1 unit

The line screams at you to take Oregon St laying less than a TD at home. But not so fast, my friend. Oregon St had a nice year, upsetting USC, winning their bowl game by a point, and finished in the top 25 in the final BCS standings. However, it was a one man team. QB Matt Moore struggled mightily early and was about to be benched until he caught fire, and Oregon St won 8 of their final 9 games. But the success of the team was directly attributed to Moore. And now he is gone. Two mediocre replacements are standing by to fill his shoes, but there will be a severe drop off. And a struggling QB will translate to a sluggish start, as history is due to repeat itself. Now, Oregon St is by no means a bad team, as they return 7 starting seniors on defense, and 8 starters on offense. But I feel that points will be at a premium. A few trends to consider: Utah is 21-4-1 as a road dog last 25, and 16-5-1 as a dog vs Pac-10 teams. Utah had a nice season, going 8-5, winning their bowl game, and taking highly ranked BYU to overtime in the Holy War rivalry game. Of their 5 losses, 4 of them came against bowl teams (UCLA, Boise St, TCU, and BYU). And even though they have one of the better defenses in the Mountain West, they will miss Eric Weddle, a future star in the NFL. However, it is important to note that star QB Brian Johnson missed the final portions of the 2005 season and all of the 2006 season with a knee injury. Before he got hurt, Johnson was 4th in the nation in passing with 337 yards passing per game. Utah returns 10 starters on offense, and every receiver that got any playing time last year. Am I excited by Utah's offensive potential this year? Absolutely. Brian Johnson will one of the best QBs in the nation this year, and easily the best in the MWC. The strengths of both teams will go against the strengths of both teams, and the same goes for weakness vs weakness. This game is a tossup, but I think Utah is the better team, and I will take the points.

Iowa St was brutal last year, 4-8 overall, 1-7 in the Big XII. And things will only get worse, as they return only 9 starters, and bring in a brand new coaching staff. They bring back veteran Bret Meyer at QB, but his stats are below mediocre. Hell, Iowa St will rotate RBs because they have no clue who is good enough to be their starter. Their defense allowed 30.8 points per game last year. Kent looked like the best team in the MAC for a while last year, started the season 5-2, before faltering down the stretch, finishing 6-6, 5-3 in the underrated MAC conference. They return 17 starters. QB Julian Edelman is a dual threat, as he passed for around 1900 yards last year, and ran for another 660. Kent has a dominating running attack as well, #39 in the nation last year. Kent finished a rock solid #24 in defense in the nation last year. There is no doubt in my mind that Kent is the better team, and I'll take the points.

Miami OH had a terrible year last season, but in their game vs Ball St, outgained them in yardage by a wide margin, but managed to lose the game. Ball St is one dimensional: they throw the ball. They can't run. They are terrible on defense, giving up 435 yards per game, 5th worst in the nation, and only return 5 starters from that defense. On the other hand, Miami Oh ranked #9 in the nation vs the pass last year. I like Miami OH to keep it close, and taking points vs a tremendously leaky defense.

Tulsa is in full rebuilding mode, new coaching staff, brand new offensive schemes, returning 11 starters, and QB Paul Smith. Every significant WR is gone. The defense is switching to a 3-3-5 scheme, which is a huge change as well. UL Monroe struggled last year, but won 3 of their final four games, and enter this season with some momentum. They return 17 starters. The offense last year wasn't bad, ranked #55, and figures to get better as they return all 11 starters. This is a play against Tulsa as much as a play on a live home dog with UL Monroe.

Good luck to all.

Well, at least we are starting off on opposite sides of the wager line!!!!!!!

I'll be in Vegas this weekend with a pocket fulla Benjamins and winners all over the joint.

College Football>Religion

23 hours and 25 minutes away from the start of the seasons first winner...

:thumbsup:

Philly,

I can see your side on Utah, I am really high on the Beavers. I can see your side Kent but I like the home Big 12 team. So I can see where we are on the sides of those games.

BUT UL MONROE???

Check this out:

Dec 02, 2006 Lafayette, La. Louisiana Monroe 39, Louisiana-Lafayette 20 Box score

Nov 25, 2006 Monroe, Louisiana Louisiana Monroe 23, North Texas 3 Box score

Nov 18, 2006 Lexington, KY Kentucky 42, Louisiana Monroe 40 Box score

Nov 11, 2006 Miami, Fla. Louisiana Monroe 35, Fla. International 0 Box score

Oct 28, 2006 Little Rock, Ark. Arkansas 44, Louisiana Monroe 10 Box score

Oct 21, 2006 Monroe, Louisiana Middle Tennessee 35, Louisiana Monroe 21 Box score

Oct 14, 2006 Troy, Ala. Troy 24, Louisiana Monroe 19 Box score

Oct 07, 2006 Jonesboro, Arkansas Arkansas State 10, Louisiana Monroe 6 Box score

Sep 30, 2006 Monroe, Louisiana Florida Atlantic 21, Louisiana Monroe 19 Box score

Sep 16, 2006 Tuscaloosa, Alabama ALABAMA 41, Louisiana Monroe 7 Box score

Sep 09, 2006 Lawrence, Kan. Kansas 21, Louisiana Monroe 19 Box score

Aug 31, 2006 Monroe, Louisiana Louisiana Monroe 24, Alcorn State 6 Box score

2006 SCHEDULE Tulsa

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

08/31/06 vs. Stephen F. Austin Tulsa, Okla. W, 45-7

09/09/06 at BYU Provo, Utah L, 49-24

09/16/06 vs. North Texas Tulsa, Okla. W, 28-3

09/23/06 at Navy Annapolis, Md. W, 24-23 (OT)

10/03/06 vs. Southern Miss * Tulsa, Okla. W, 20-6

10/14/06 at East Carolina * Greenville, N.C. W, 31-10

10/21/06 at Memphis * Memphis, Tenn. W, 35-14

10/27/06 vs. UTEP Tulsa, Okla. W, 30-20

11/04/06 at Houston * Houston, Texas L, 27-10

11/11/06 vs. Rice * Tulsa, Okla. L, 41-38 (2OT)

11/18/06 at SMU * Dallas, Texas L, 34-24

11/24/06 vs. Tulane * Tulsa, Okla. W, 38-3

I think Tulsa is small step above UL Monroe based off of last year.

Philly,

I can see your side on Utah, I am really high on the Beavers. I can see your side Kent but I like the home Big 12 team. So I can see where we are on the sides of those games.

BUT UL MONROE???

Check this out:

Dec 02, 2006 Lafayette, La. Louisiana Monroe 39, Louisiana-Lafayette 20 Box score

Nov 25, 2006 Monroe, Louisiana Louisiana Monroe 23, North Texas 3 Box score

Nov 18, 2006 Lexington, KY Kentucky 42, Louisiana Monroe 40 Box score

Nov 11, 2006 Miami, Fla. Louisiana Monroe 35, Fla. International 0 Box score

Oct 28, 2006 Little Rock, Ark. Arkansas 44, Louisiana Monroe 10 Box score

Oct 21, 2006 Monroe, Louisiana Middle Tennessee 35, Louisiana Monroe 21 Box score

Oct 14, 2006 Troy, Ala. Troy 24, Louisiana Monroe 19 Box score

Oct 07, 2006 Jonesboro, Arkansas Arkansas State 10, Louisiana Monroe 6 Box score

Sep 30, 2006 Monroe, Louisiana Florida Atlantic 21, Louisiana Monroe 19 Box score

Sep 16, 2006 Tuscaloosa, Alabama ALABAMA 41, Louisiana Monroe 7 Box score

Sep 09, 2006 Lawrence, Kan. Kansas 21, Louisiana Monroe 19 Box score

Aug 31, 2006 Monroe, Louisiana Louisiana Monroe 24, Alcorn State 6 Box score

2006 SCHEDULE Tulsa

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

08/31/06 vs. Stephen F. Austin Tulsa, Okla. W, 45-7

09/09/06 at BYU Provo, Utah L, 49-24

09/16/06 vs. North Texas Tulsa, Okla. W, 28-3

09/23/06 at Navy Annapolis, Md. W, 24-23 (OT)

10/03/06 vs. Southern Miss * Tulsa, Okla. W, 20-6

10/14/06 at East Carolina * Greenville, N.C. W, 31-10

10/21/06 at Memphis * Memphis, Tenn. W, 35-14

10/27/06 vs. UTEP Tulsa, Okla. W, 30-20

11/04/06 at Houston * Houston, Texas L, 27-10

11/11/06 vs. Rice * Tulsa, Okla. L, 41-38 (2OT)

11/18/06 at SMU * Dallas, Texas L, 34-24

11/24/06 vs. Tulane * Tulsa, Okla. W, 38-3

I think Tulsa is small step above UL Monroe based off of last year.

I don't think that Tulsa's recent success is relevant anymore, losing half their starters, and radically altering their offensive and defensive schemes. We can look at Monroe's results from last year as they return almost all of their starters. But we can look at a common opponent in North Texas, and both teams won by nearly identical scores vs The Mean Green last year. Further, Monroe lost by 2 pts to Kentucky and Kansas, I believe who were both bowl teams last year. Then can certainly compete out of conference. Tulsa will get better as the year goes along. But asking them to play in a hostile environment in their first game, in a very rare televised home game for a Sun Belt team is asking a lot.

It's a small play, but it fits several of my criteria for taking an underdog.

You know that I am a dog better at heart. I have to go with it. We will agree on games through out the season. And I think those hit at a pretty good percentage.

Link

Toledo football in point shaving scandal. Gotta love the MAC. :) :banana: :banana:

Ditka, please give me your best play for tomorrow. That's the one I'm going to risk the balance of my sh!tty BetUS account on to start off the season. Win or lose, I'll be reloading my Olympic account. My first NFL prop play is less than a week away. :drool:

Ditka, please give me your best play for tomorrow. That's the one I'm going to risk the balance of my sh!tty BetUS account on to start off the season. Win or lose, I'll be reloading my Olympic account. My first NFL prop play is less than a week away. :drool:

I love it. GiantsRule is already in desperation mode and the season hasn't even started yet - JK. GR wears his emotions on his sleeve during football season and it's enjoyable to watch/read. Hence the "handle" of Bouve-Rules to pay homage to the battles you two would get into back in the day.

From the department of redundancy department, I too need to reload for the 2007 season. Does Olympic accept payment via the web or Western Union only?

Thanks - glad to be back in the fold.

I love it. GiantsRule is already in desperation mode and the season hasn't even started yet - JK. GR wears his emotions on his sleeve during football season and it's enjoyable to watch/read. Hence the "handle" of Bouve-Rules to pay homage to the battles you two would get into back in the day.

From the department of redundancy department, I too need to reload for the 2007 season. Does Olympic accept payment via the web or Western Union only?

Thanks - glad to be back in the fold.

Welcome back BR. I deserve the ridicule. I was up huge in preseason. Then, like a dumbass, I had the brilliant idea of supplementing my winnings :lol: by betting baseball. I managed to lose like 1 of 8 games. I then hit a bad run on some preseason totals (thanks for leaving all those points on the field Oakland & St. Louis) and I essentially lost it all and a little more. Way too early to be greedy so I deserve it. If I can get an early winner in college ball, I'll be back to even on the season. Woo and hoo!

Hopefully, I can piggyback Ditka, Yer Mom, and philly to another great season and then supplement winnings with my sweet spot, NFL prop plays.

Welcome back BR. I deserve the ridicule. I was up huge in preseason. Then, like a dumbass, I had the brilliant idea of supplementing my winnings :mad: by betting baseball. I managed to lose like 1 of 8 games. I then hit a bad run on some preseason totals (thanks for leaving all those points on the field Oakland & St. Louis) and I essentially lost it all and a little more. Way too early to be greedy so I deserve it. If I can get an early winner in college ball, I'll be back to even on the season. Woo and hoo!

Hopefully, I can piggyback Ditka, Yer Mom, and philly to another great season and then supplement winnings with my sweet spot, NFL prop plays.

If I had to "bet it all" I would lay it all on LSU tomorrow night. They are the only team where you can say they "should" walk all over their opponent for Thursday night. Got to appreciate the balls out approach on the first night! :overhead:

If I had to "bet it all" I would lay it all on LSU tomorrow night. They are the only team where you can say they "should" walk all over their opponent for Thursday night. Got to appreciate the balls out approach on the first night! :dunno:

That's an awfully big line for a road favorite. Any thoughts about the over (45.5)?

Better yet, do you think all the 8 p.m. (and 8:05 p.m.) games can top 48 points each? I may throw it all on a 3-teamer and go out in a blaze of stupidity. How's the defense typically in the first week? Rustier than the offense I hope?

That's an awfully big line for a road favorite. Any thoughts about the over (45.5)?

Better yet, do you think all the 8 p.m. (and 8:05 p.m.) games can top 48 points each? I may throw it all on a 3-teamer and go out in a blaze of stupidity. How's the defense typically in the first week? Rustier than the offense I hope?

Defense is almost always ahead of offense early on. Id stay far away from the 3 team hail mary on evening number 1.

It is a big road line in the LSU game but Dorsey and Jackson will guarantee cause Henig to be on his backside for most the time MS has the ball and probably will get a defensive score or two. LSU should cover this line easily.

Good Luck!!

Defense is almost always ahead of offense early on. Id stay far away from the 3 team hail mary on evening number 1.

It is a big road line in the LSU game but Dorsey and Jackson will guarantee cause Henig to be on his backside for most the time MS has the ball and probably will get a defensive score or two. LSU should cover this line easily.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for talking me off the ledge. If you and Ditka are confident in it, that's good enough for me.

Letting it roll on LSU -17.5. No worries if it losses. Hopefully, I'll learn that you have to stick with what you know (or what people tell you to know). I know sh!t about betting baseball and the law of averages was NOT in my favor!

Good luck to all!

Good luck this season gents. I'll be posting in the gambling threads as much as I can or until I go busto :banana:

My book this year is pinnaclesports.com

NCAA: 0-0

NFL: 0-0

Only like 1 Thursday game.

LSU -18: 1 unit to win .9 units. WINNER

I love this site, all the ff knowledge, and ridiculous stories, and even gambling. I ignored these threads through preseason so I wouldn't get tempted and do something stupid.

Anyway this will be my first year betting college, lots of teams I hate and it's a weird feeling to pull for a team you hate. Also, i generally play the lines on NFL games as opposed to the spreads, depending of course on what they are.

Here's my plays so far and I'll keep a running record too, just to see how good or bad I do.

First time ever betting NCAAF, so I'll keep most of my bets small.

LSU -18 (1Unit to win .9)

Miami(Fla) -18 (1unit to win .9)

Miami(OH) +200(ML) (1unit to win 2)

ECU/VT - OVER 40.5 (3units)

Utah +210(ML) (1unit to win 2.1)

Edited to add Utah, at 7 units bet right now, may throw a few units on a parlay to try to keep my bets at 10units a week as I did with NFL.

Im thinkin a final score of 45-7 is in the making, the only question should probably be will MS even score against LSU's supersick D. Im layin the lumber now cause I think that line should be more like -20 by gametime.

Good luck!!

-Yer mom

Lines up to -19.5 now, hope you gentlemen playing LSU tonight took the above mentioned advice and layed earlier (although I dont think it will matter much) but the line will still be about -20 by gametime...

Good Luck!!

Gentlmen (and Ditka and Philly),

Missed you all. Hope everyone is well.

I'm playing poker semi-pro like now. Matter of fact won my first tourney yesterday at the Bike for a little over 7 grand. It was way cool.

I've been lurking the last couple of weeks, getting ready for my FF draft. I'm defending my first SB crown.

Don't normally like to play the first couple of weeks of the CFB season.

I'm excited however and looking forward to mixing it up once I've formed some opinions. Best of luck to all.

LSU -19 - 3 units

UCONN -4 - 2 units

GT +3 - 2 units

KENT +3 1/2 - 1 unit

UTAH + 7 - 2 units

GL everyone

Giants

What the hell is up with Bodog?

The site is down.

Everything was fine a couple of days ago. :thumbsup:

Did I loose my balance or is their site just down?

Giants

What the hell is up with Bodog?

The site is down.

Everything was fine a couple of days ago. :thumbsup:

Did I loose my balance or is their site just down?

Where do I go now, and do you think I forfiet my balance? I sure hope not :rolleyes: :lol:

Don't really like betting week 1, but i cant help it.

Utah +7 2 units

Rutgers/Buff u50.5 1 unit

Kent +3.5 1 unit

UNLV -6.5 1 unit

Goodluck all.. i'll start posting my thoughts for weekend games later.. no time during weekdays.

Here's the e-mail they sent out a couple days ago:

We are currently experiencing difficulties with our domain name and I wanted to let you know that until the issue is resolved we are directing all customers to an alternate site with little or no interruption to Bodog services.

Bottom line: you can play at Bodog right now. Everything you see will be the same as what you are used to and we’ll resolve any minor glitches shortly.

The problem is the direct result of a dispute over the ownership of the Bodog.com domain name. We are doing everything we can to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other than the change in URL, it is business as usual.

I don’t want anything to interrupt your play so please visit www.newbodog.com and continue to play hard. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Calvin Ayre, Bodog Founder

Bodog Customer Service

T. 1-888-263-0000

E. service@newbodog.com

HTH

Here's the e-mail they sent out a couple days ago:

We are currently experiencing difficulties with our domain name and I wanted to let you know that until the issue is resolved we are directing all customers to an alternate site with little or no interruption to Bodog services.

Bottom line: you can play at Bodog right now. Everything you see will be the same as what you are used to and we’ll resolve any minor glitches shortly.

The problem is the direct result of a dispute over the ownership of the Bodog.com domain name. We are doing everything we can to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other than the change in URL, it is business as usual.

I don’t want anything to interrupt your play so please visit www.newbodog.com and continue to play hard. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Calvin Ayre, Bodog Founder

Bodog Customer Service

T. 1-888-263-0000

E. service@newbodog.com

HTH

:music_guitarred:

On second thought, it's possible they emailed me and I just thought it was another promotional (junk) email and just deleted it.

Dr Bob doesn't have any Best Bets this week, just opinions. The lines shouldn't move crazy this week, like they were doing last year. I'm sure you all remember that phenomenon.

Philly any late plays??

Nope. I wanted to see what a couple of the touts that I respect were playing on. Staying put with my card.

Nope. I wanted to see what a couple of the touts that I respect were playing on. Staying put with my card.

Oklahoma St vs Georgia -6.5

I can't lose, right? :Mr-T:

Oklahoma St vs Georgia -6.5

I can't lose, right? :Mr-T:

I'm crossing that game off my board. No opinion either way. Good luck.

Dr Bob doesn't have any Best Bets this week, just opinions. The lines shouldn't move crazy this week, like they were doing last year. I'm sure you all remember that phenomenon.

He has Miami OH, Utah, OVER Tulsa/ULM tonight. It's uncanny how I am usually on the same sides as this guy. It's like he is in my head.

Fock. LSU line is up to 20.5. Publics just hammering the wholy hell outta this thing.

Hope the man is ok with taking it in the shorts on day 1 :doublethumbsup:

Fock. LSU line is up to 20.5. Publics just hammering the wholy hell outta this thing.

Hope the man is ok with taking it in the shorts on day 1 :doublethumbsup:

If it gets to +21, I might have to take Miss St. The points would be awfully tempting.