Sign in to follow this  
Dan Sez

Free Agency System

Please sound off. I would personally appreciate if you don't use words like "stupid" or "idiotic". ahahha

Anyway, comments are needed if we are to make the game mechanisms work better. Some were more active in the system than others.

ITEM: 1

We even ran into a case where Know Doubt was struck down by injury and coaching decisions to be without a starter. I am very sorry this situation happened. And I do not mean to embarrass or harrass you in mentioning this. I just would like some general comments on if this was bad luck or bad design.

TEM: 2

A few teams did not participate in the bidding process much. Was it because your team was "full", that you didn't feel the need to pad your positions? Was it because the free agent pool was so thin that anyone out there was not likely to produce much anyway? Was there confusion in the system itself? Was there some unfairness or imbalance? Why did you refrain from spending all your coin?

ITEM: 3

The system itself, with the dual bids. How cumbersome was it to implement? Did someone have a problem with the date-deadline? Anyone see problems or potential problems in how bids are handled?

ITEM: 4

Is this worth the added work? How can we make it more interesting? A little more depth in the talent pool would be nice. We should have a few less people on rosters (not everyone will keep 12 players). The adjustment in Salary Points can modify this resource over time.

ITEM: 5

The talent depth is one consideration for putting in the 3 Name Limit on weekly bids. Any thoughts on this?

Any other comments about the Free Agency system?

Dan Sez:

ITEM 1

We even ran into a case where Know Doubt was struck down by injury and coaching decisions to be without a starter.  I am very sorry this situation happened.  And I do not mean to embarrass or harrass you in mentioning this.  I just would like some general comments on if this was bad luck or bad design.

I think that this situation was simply bad luck. Know Doubt did have several QB's and the chances of none being available that week was pretty low. The only recomendation would be to allow FA bidding to continue after the regular season ends. If so, bidding points would have to be saved for this situation by the owner. And if the playoff teams can bid, then perhaps bidding should continue for the rest of the teams as well. Thoughts?

Dan Sez:

ITEM 3

The system itself, with the dual bids.  How cumbersome was it to implement?  Did someone have a problem with the date-deadline?  Anyone see problems or potential problems in how bids are handled?

Seriously, I have no complaints. I think that the rules worked well and that the process was pretty good.

One upgrade would be if a website could handle blind bidding for us. But until then, I wouldn't change anything. I'd be willing to do the FA Czaring again, if the league would like me to continue in the role.

Dan Sez:

ITEM 4

Is this worth the added work?  How can we make it more interesting?  A little more depth in the talent pool would be nice.  We should have a few less people on rosters (not everyone will keep 12 players).   The adjustment in Salary Points can modify this resource over time.  

Several of us are going out of our way to decrease our number of leagues so that we can concentrate more on this one. I like the challenge and look forward to the 2004 season. I think that the design should be given a chance to work itself out for a couple or more seasons before we adjust anything as significant as the Salary Points - but that's just me.

Dan Sez:

ITEM 5

The talent depth is one consideration for putting in the 3 Name Limit on weekly bids.  Any thoughts on this?

With only two blind bidding opportunities before the NFL bye weeks commence, I believe that cutting the three name limit to two would be a real problem. With so many of us bidding for the same positions (and even players) early on in the season, and with a need for 14 starters, cutting to two could cause problems. I'd like to see the current arrangement continue.

ITEM: 2

A few teams did not participate in the bidding process much. Was it because your team was "full", that you didn't feel the need to pad your positions? Was it because the free agent pool was so thin that anyone out there was not likely to produce much anyway? Was there confusion in the system itself? Was there some unfairness or imbalance? Why did you refrain from spending all your coin?

Mine was job related. No excuse for poor participation, but I've taken steps to make certain a lack of connectivity will not be an issue. You should see my participation on the boards regain daily status very soon. In short, it wasn't anything with the system as it was job related absense from a computer.

ITEM 1 - I feel it was just bad luck. Real bad luck. I was two deep on two teams depth charts and still didn't have a starter.

I would however like to keep the bidding past the regular season.

ITEM 2 - I loved it as it was my first experience.

ITEM 3 - As long as deadlines are posted, I see no problems.

ITEM 4 - I'll have to think about that.

ITEM 5 - Being "new" to any bidding system I just liked every aspect of it. Players who have used other bidding systems would be of a more well rounded opinion.

I really like this league. Its a new challenge for me especially with the talent here compared to my other leagues(six who know what they're doing, six who don't).

I'm in six other leagues and only two of those have rules that I want changed. None of the Rules here in the Dungeon really make me uncomfortable.

Very nice League, very nice jobs by our volunteers.

Nice job guys! :cool:

I thought the system worked marvelously, however it did seem a bit burdensome on DS and JG. As long as they don't mind the manual work, I certainly support keeping the current system in place.

I thought the system worked well and I would continue with it in it's current format for another year.

I was limited in what I could bid for as the talent pool was limited to start with and my team was so completely decimated by injuries that I didn't have enough points to bid on a weekly basis to stay competitive. I lost over half of my starters by Week 6, not much I could do. The system benefits everyone as long as you don't have a season like I had where you lose so many players you just can't stay competitive.

a combined answer or sorts relation to the FA bidding system and about using FA points.

i think i wanted this the first time it came around but not sure. as far as not spending FA points, i was one of the "worst" in that i didn't spend a lot. i got some key players very early on, and after that the talent pool was so dry i didn't feel i could improve my team. so i kept those points incase of catastrophic injury to a key position, i would be guarnteed to be able to outbid anyone for the position i needed. i feel that the FA was dwindled way too fast through the season and i am in favor of limiting bids to one per week. i can already see the response, in that people will say we will all bid for the same player every week. i feel that this adds another dimension to the strategy that this league is all about. you have to lay out a lot of points if you want your desired FA and you think everyone else does as well, or you could be sneaky and bid on guys who haven't exploded on the scene yet. it would make some teams use lots of FA space to fill injuries, and that's what the NFL does at times. you key back goes down, you call ricky waters and give him a fat check for one year, or jeff george.

so in summary i am in favor of moving to a one bid per week system for FA. but of course will go with majority whatever the decision.

Sorry I have been non-responsive.....just been real busy and all.

I plan to spend some serious time later this week going over my team and the rules but one thing I would like to suggest is that we should roll for draft orders before we are forced to make cuts next month. Draft order probably wont make too much of a difference now, but it could influence our decision making process when it comes to a player who is on the bubble.