Sign in to follow this  
Ilikemycap

What's up with Ricky Williams?

Ricky williams is back in the football but he is not back to his self. He had -1 yard agaist struggeling KC defance. I live in KC and if a RB can't score agaist KC D then I don't who can he store agaist???

The guy's been away from football for a year... in reality, you can't expect him to be good from the start. I'de say it will take 5-10 games before we start seeing signs of the old Ricky.

During the KC game Ricky was hit in the backfield on almost every carry he had. The Oline is in shambles and it's going to take Houck a few year to make it respectable.

Guest Loose Circuits
During the KC game Ricky was hit in the backfield on almost every carry he had. The Oline is in shambles and it's going to take Houck a few year to make it respectable.

At this point, I am wondering if Ricky was even an upgrade over Duce Staley (who I dropped to pick him up). I am considering sending him back to the WW pile where he belongs.

That would not be wise to get rid of Ricky. I would try and get him from anyone that has him and stash him away (His value is low right now). He has been hit in the backfield on just about every run, so he hasn't had a chance to do much. Ricky is also the type of back that needs to get 20 plus touches. He doesn't get warmed up and a feel for the game until he gets 15 touches. It's just a matter of time before he becomes the fetured back. And it will be this year. It may come sooner or later if the Dolphisn keep loosing. They HAVE to showcase him to the NFL. They HAVE to trade him next year, and the only way to get value is to show owners and coaches that he still has it. And he does still have it. At some point in the season - maybe week 10 to 13, I see Ricky taking over the reigns and getting 25 touches per game.

Wait a minute, didn't Ronnie Brown have 90+ yards? Did the Phins use a different O-line when he was in?

Wait a minute, didn't Ronnie Brown have 90+ yards? Did the Phins use a different O-line when he was in?

I really hate when people use this excuse too, but watching the game Ronnie Brown looked just as bad as Ricky until he broke that 65 yard TD run. Both were not making any headway running the ball. Would Ricky have busted the same long TD run if he got the same amount of touches? ;)

That would not be wise to get rid of Ricky. I would try and get him from anyone that has him and stash him away (His value is low right now). He has been hit in the backfield on just about every run, so he hasn't had a chance to do much. Ricky is also the type of back that needs to get 20 plus touches. He doesn't get warmed up and a feel for the game until he gets 15 touches. It's just a matter of time before he becomes the fetured back. And it will be this year. It may come sooner or later if the Dolphisn keep loosing. They HAVE to showcase him to the NFL. They HAVE to trade him next year, and the only way to get value is to show owners and coaches that he still has it. And he does still have it. At some point in the season - maybe week 10 to 13, I see Ricky taking over the reigns and getting 25 touches per game.

1) Ricky is on a 1 year deal at the league minimum. He is good as gone next season

2) Brown was drafted to be the future of the team and will get MORE carries as the season progresses and the Fins officially fall out of the playoff mix

3) Unless you have Brown, Williams is wasting space on your roster!

That would not be wise to get rid of Ricky.  I would try and get him from anyone that has him and stash him away (His value is low right now).  He has been hit in the backfield on just about every run, so he hasn't had a chance to do much.  Ricky is also the type of back that needs to get 20 plus touches.  He doesn't get warmed up and a feel for the game until he gets 15 touches.  It's just a matter of time before he becomes the fetured back.  And it will be this year.  It may come sooner or later if the Dolphisn keep loosing.  They HAVE to showcase him to the NFL.  They HAVE to trade him next year,  and the only way to get value is to show owners and coaches that he still has it.  And he does still have it.  At some point in the season - maybe week 10 to 13, I see Ricky taking over the reigns and getting 25 touches per game.

1) Ricky is on a 1 year deal at the league minimum. He is good as gone next season

2) Brown was drafted to be the future of the team and will get MORE carries as the season progresses and the Fins officially fall out of the playoff mix

Wrong.

1 - Ricky IS making the league minimum this year but the Dolphins own his rights for the next 2 years. He's looking ot restructure after this year.

2 - They'll continue to use both out of the backfield for the remainder of the season.

That would not be wise to get rid of Ricky.  I would try and get him from anyone that has him and stash him away (His value is low right now).  He has been hit in the backfield on just about every run, so he hasn't had a chance to do much.  Ricky is also the type of back that needs to get 20 plus touches.  He doesn't get warmed up and a feel for the game until he gets 15 touches.   It's just a matter of time before he becomes the fetured back.  And it will be this year.  It may come sooner or later if the Dolphisn keep loosing.  They HAVE to showcase him to the NFL.  They HAVE to trade him next year,  and the only way to get value is to show owners and coaches that he still has it.  And he does still have it.  At some point in the season - maybe week 10 to 13, I see Ricky taking over the reigns and getting 25 touches per game.

Wrong.

1 - Ricky IS making the league minimum this year but the Dolphins own his rights for the next 2 years. He's looking ot restructure after this year.

2 - They'll continue to use both out of the backfield for the remainder of the season.

Williams is cut in the off season! I'll bet money on it! (If only I had a way to collect)

Why would they sit their number one draft pick when he is clearly out playing the pot head Williams?

NEWFLASH: Real NFL coaches don't care about "fantasy" football and will play the BEST players, period!

Ronnie Brown is the future of the Dolphins, not just the RB position. You don't draft someone #2 overall, pay him 20+ million in guarantees, and then not play the guy.

It also appears that as of right now, he's better than Ricky. Even without the 65 yard TD run, Brown still got 45 combo yards on his 9 other touches. That's 5 yards a pop.

To me the Dolphins were hoping to showcase Ricky to the league. Unfortunately, for the Dolphins, he's only a shadow of his former self right now.

I think you can start to expect to see more and more of Ronnie Brown. The Dolphins may not even part with Ricky after this season is over at this point. He really doesn't have any trade value, and if he does improve some, he'll be a competent backup to Brown. (Which he isn't right now.)

Ronnie Brown is the future of the Dolphins, not just the RB position. You don't draft someone #2 overall, pay him 20+ million in guarantees, and then not play the guy.

It also appears that as of right now, he's better than Ricky. Even without the 65 yard TD run, Brown still got 45 combo yards on his 9 other touches. That's 5 yards a pop.

To me the Dolphins were hoping to showcase Ricky to the league. Unfortunately, for the Dolphins, he's only a shadow of his former self right now.

I think you can start to expect to see more and more of Ronnie Brown. The Dolphins may not even part with Ricky after this season is over at this point. He really doesn't have any trade value, and if he does improve some, he'll be a competent backup to Brown. (Which he isn't right now.)

R. BROWN is the future as you all say. So when the Dolphins are out of the playoff hunt why the heck would the organization take a chance on a devastating injury? They are seeing what R. Brown is all about at this time. If the playoffs are in their sights, keep playing him. If not, they will slowly stash him away and showcase R.W. Then come next year, the Dolphins have their premier RB with some great game experience ready to hit it for the 2006 season.

By the way, I don't own either one. Unbiased opinion here folks.

Ronnie Brown is the future of the Dolphins, not just the RB position.  You don't draft someone #2 overall, pay him 20+ million in guarantees, and then not play the guy.

It also appears that as of right now, he's better than Ricky.  Even without the 65 yard TD run, Brown still got 45 combo yards on his 9 other touches.  That's 5 yards a pop. 

To me the Dolphins were hoping to showcase Ricky to the league.  Unfortunately, for the Dolphins, he's only a shadow of his former self right now. 

I think you can start to expect to see more and more of Ronnie Brown.  The Dolphins may not even part with Ricky after this season is over at this point.  He really doesn't have any trade value, and if he does improve some, he'll be a competent backup to Brown.  (Which he isn't right now.)

R. BROWN is the future as you all say. So when the Dolphins are out of the playoff hunt why the heck would the organization take a chance on a devastating injury? They are seeing what R. Brown is all about at this time. If the playoffs are in their sights, keep playing him. If not, they will slowly stash him away and showcase R.W. Then come next year, the Dolphins have their premier RB with some great game experience ready to hit it for the 2006 season.

By the way, I don't own either one. Unbiased opinion here folks.

I can't think of one example where a team did this. The coaches and players play to win (well the ones that aren't solely playing for the money anyway.)

I am leaning towrd most of the ppl too. I think ricky williams is not going to be nearly as good as he used to be and brown is the future. I think i m going to drop ricky so I can pick up some decent player.

you guys are crazy... come back to this post in 4 to 5 weeks. THEY HAVE TO SHOWCASE RICKY.

Ronnie Brown is the future, but they need to get value for Ricky in the off season. They can't get value for him if he does not get touches. It's just a matter of time before he gets those touches. HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND!

That's why Saban brought him back. Not to split carries with their future (Brown), but to show the NFL that he can still play and GET VALUE out of him - either a player or draft picks to help THE FUTURE of this team.

lol I thought that ricky still had some juice in him but after reading everybody's point of view I don't think I was right. It's just matter of time before mia get rid of him. team is just giving him carries so they can get better price for them.

you guys are crazy... come back to this post in 4 to 5 weeks. THEY HAVE TO SHOWCASE RICKY.

Ronnie Brown is the future, but they need to get value for Ricky in the off season. They can't get value for him if he does not get touches. It's just a matter of time before he gets those touches. HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND!

That's why Saban brought him back. Not to split carries with their future (Brown), but to show the NFL that he can still play and GET VALUE out of him - either a player or draft picks to help THE FUTURE of this team.

What value? Do you think that other NFL team scouts, GM's and personnel haven't realized he's a washed up flake with no heart or dedication to football? It's not as if he's ancient, but he'll be 29 when next season starts and he's had one monster season so far in his career, two decent years and two mediocre injury plagued campaigns. I wouldn't image he's the type of player that his teammates are willing to sell out for and how many great NFL players take a year off and bail on their team during their peak seasons because the league was going to suspend them anyways? Miami can force feed Williams the ball for the rest of the season if they like; but that's not going to convince anybody he's worth the salary he'll want to play somewhere else in 2006.

I don't agree with HAVING to showcase Ricky. What's to showcase? Everyone in the league knows what he's capable of and what he's about when it comes to playing football. It's not like he's some unknown player that needs to be shown to the rest of the league. No way a team spends a #2 pick, who is clearly the better of the two players right now, to bench him so that they might get some extra value in a trade in the offseason. All they would end up with is the appropriate value for a player that quit football so he could smoke weed, but has tremendous potential, and former #2 pick that missed a half of a season of valuable experience.

unless brown goes down, best case scenario for ricky owners in mia is rbbc. otherwise ricky is an avg to decent number two nfl back. no better no worse. keep in mind, however, rookie rbs in the nfl tend to run out of gas somewhere around week 12 simply due to conditioning. so there is a chance ricky could get some play towards the end of the season.

Honestly, what did Saban have to lose bringing the guy back for peanuts? With Brown performing reasonably well in an unbelievably mediocre offense, why "showcase" a subpar Ricky, risk no team being interested in a guy who bailed on his team for the love of weed (shocker!), and have to pay your #2 RB #1 RB dollars when the season is over? Saban's giving him enough carries so Ricky is game-ready if Brown goes down, while at the same time trying to keep Brown's legs fresh for the remainder of the pro season.