Sign in to follow this  
fastfish

a 'Cane Story: Gore and Dorsey get the start

Guest Karim Abdul-Jabbar

nah, Dorsey is a legit back-up but will struggle and Frank Gore will be alright, prolly 90 total yards and maybe a score

go Canes!

TB will roll over the 9ers.

Dorksey throws for 4 INTs. Gore gets stuffed at the line of scrimmage several times. TB wins big, thanks to a defensive TD or two.

Dorsey or Pickett are MUCH MUCH better than ASmith. As a matter of fact, most bay area homers will tell you last year they wanted these guys to play in front of Rattay.

Don't expect ungodly numbers against SF as in weeks past. I know most people hear #3 and #4 QBs going in and they start to drool but I guarantee you these guys are SO much better than Alex.

Dorsey is the ONLY Cane you DO NOT WANT!!

Edge

Portis

Willis

Gore

Davenpoop

Moss

Wayne

Andre Johnson

Shockey

Franks

Not a bad team; if AJ was playing to his potential

Dorsey or Pickett are MUCH MUCH better than ASmith. As a matter of fact, most bay area homers will tell you last year they wanted these guys to play in front of Rattay.

Don't expect ungodly numbers against SF as in weeks past. I know most people hear #3 and #4 QBs going in and they start to drool but I guarantee you these guys are SO much better than Alex.

here on the east coast (daytona beach) this is a way (as in nada) under-reported take on the SF situation...please say more

was Smith a product of URBAN MEYER's UTAH offense? Because I live 70 minutes from U of FL. and the gator offense is in the TANK...and Chris Leak, who was the #1 HS recruit in the nation and in his 2nd year as a gator led the SEC in passing in 2004...is now a confused chump trying to run URBAN's offense in 2005.

are we seeing a bust of RYAN LEAF proportions in SF???

did they send Ratay away to stop him from looking better than Smith on every snap?

come on SF homers...your sports radio don't get NO play here on the east coast...what's the scoop?

Gore is not getting the start. Barlow is the starter.

Change your misleading topic title. Dorsey the Horsey is starting along with Barlow.

Gore cannot pass protect - his long TD was garbage time against 3rd stringers in a 40 point blowout.

Barlow has not lost his job. :o

is barlow sitting this week?

or are gore's projections in this forum just based on rbbc

No, he is not.

this topic starter is just a [name that N.L.S. won't call him] for posting a misleading topic title.

Barlow is probable with a quad contousion. Translation: he has a boo boo bruise on his leg. :o

All indications, including from the local sportstalk is that Barlow is the starter for Sunday's game. Not that it'll matter against TB's stout run D, but he could have a decent day - maybe 60 yds and a TD with another 30 receiving.

Don't expect ungodly numbers against SF as in weeks past.  I know most people hear #3 and #4 QBs going in and they start to drool but I guarantee you these guys are SO much better than Alex.

here on the east coast (daytona beach) this is a way (as in nada) under-reported take on the SF situation...please say more

was Smith a product of URBAN MEYER's UTAH offense? Because I live 70 minutes from U of FL. and the gator offense is in the TANK...and Chris Leak, who was the #1 HS recruit in the nation and in his 2nd year as a gator led the SEC in passing in 2004...is now a confused chump trying to run URBAN's offense in 2005.

did they send Ratay away to stop him from looking better than Smith on every snap?

come on SF homers...your sports radio don't get NO play here on the east coast...what's the scoop?

Scoop:

The 9ers suck. Alex Smith looks terrible. Dorsey looks good if the pass is less than 7 yards, Pickett is an unknown. Gore and Barlow both suck, but no where near the suckage of the offensive line.

This team sucks more than last year's 2-14 team (if you remember, their only two wins were both against Arizona, and BOTH in OT).

That's the scoop. Radio only talks about the 9ers when Nolan is on for an interview, and then it's always "how do you keep spirits up?" no good football talk because we stink.

Give the kid a focking break.

He plays hard and he's had 2 (two) starts in the NFL.

He played 3 quarters of his 2nd start with a sprained knee and didn't ask to be taken out of the game.

He threw a nifty block to spring Barlow for a big gain at one point.

When he scrambles, he looks like Steve Young - big kid, lots of athleticism and looks for contact instead of shying away from it.

He deserves a lot of respect for his efforts given the position he was thrust into and the state of that team...bad injury riddled O-Line, few healthy receivers, and no receiving TE. The fact that he's in there and playing hard is a testiment to his character and he certainly doesn't deserve a Ryan Leaf comparison after two focking games.

:rolleyes:

show a little class - tip your cap to a kid doing his best in a bad situation. At least he didn't pull an Eli Manning and tell the Niners he didn't want to be there.

Speaking of, everyone thought Eli was going to be a major bust after his 1st season - now he's inconsistent, but producing at a decent level. QB is the hardest position, and one of the hardest to transition from college to the pros. In a recent radio interview, Smith said this injury was bad timing, because the game was just starting to slow down for him - he felt he was making major strides.

At least let him play a season before saying something as retarded as this about him. He deserves at least the opportunity that Leaf had if you're going to pull that comparison out of your ass. :D

He played 3 quarters of his 2nd start with a sprained knee and didn't ask to be taken out of the game.

When he scrambles, he looks like Steve Young - big kid, lots of athleticism and looks for contact instead of shying away from it.

He deserves a lot of respect for his efforts given the position he was thrust into and the state of that team...bad injury riddled O-Line, few healthy receivers, and no receiving TE. The fact that he's in there and playing hard is a testiment to his character and he certainly doesn't deserve a Ryan Leaf comparison after two focking games.

show a little class - tip your cap to a kid doing his best in a bad situation. At least he didn't pull an Eli Manning and tell the Niners he didn't want to be there.

Speaking of, everyone thought Eli was going to be a major bust after his 1st season - now he's inconsistent, but producing at a decent level. QB is the hardest position, and one of the hardest to transition from college to the pros. In a recent radio interview, Smith said this injury was bad timing, because the game was just starting to slow down for him - he felt he was making major strides.

At least let him play a season before saying something as retarded as this about him. He deserves at least the opportunity that Leaf had if you're going to pull that comparison out of your ass. :thumbsdown:

well, first of all i think alex smith will never perform at what we consider to be #1 overall pick performance standards

but, with that being said, i dont believe that he is just a system QB, and to judge him as a bust this early is assinine

yes, i understand i spelled it wrong :effect:

At least let him play a season before saying something as retarded as this about him. He deserves at least the opportunity that Leaf had if you're going to pull that comparison out of your ass. :thumbsdown:

ok.."last word" scooter boy says Smith is great

but can we hear from some SF homers? Is Smith (I heard him speak and he's sweet) lead the 9er's back from oblivion? Is Barlow the MAN or is Gore much more?

in Florida, sports talk radio is INTENSE...can SF radio be less?

SF homers?

Smith will be fine, there aren't many QB's that could go in that situation and do much better, there are a very few that might. He is a rookie, he is also young as hell and it isn't like they were good before he went in there. He got banged up, I saw the hit when it happened and I was shocked that he got up at all, I really thought that his season was over. That alone told me that the kid is a potential gamer, he has the heart. His deep ball isn't that bad either, better than I thought.

Better pass protection and a little more experience and he will be fine. He may not be the next Manning or Palmer, but he has the right attitude, toughness and skills to be good.

And Dorsey, as much as I like him, will look like crap against the Bucs. Barlow took a pretty nasty looking hit as well, I don't know how much punishment he is going to want to take this week. And Gore's TD was in garabge time, though he showed some great breakaway speed. He got lit up a few times earlier though.

Edge

Portis

Willis

Gore

Davenpoop

Moss

Wayne

Andre Johnson

Shockey

Franks

What about Phillip "toast" Buchanon?

Edge

Portis

Willis

Gore

Davenpoop

Moss

Wayne

Andre Johnson

Shockey

Franks

Damnm! I totally forgot about Toast. He just might be a QBs best friend.

And everyone thought Willie Middlebrooks was a first round bust!

Edge

Portis

Willis

Gore

Davenpoop

Moss

Wayne

Andre Johnson

Shockey

Franks

Damnm! I totally forgot about Toast. He just might be a QBs best friend.

And everyone thought Willie Middlebrooks was a first round bust!

Yeah, Im a Raider fan and about two or three weeks before Toast got traded he did a autograph session in the city I live in. My girlfriend and I were the only ones there at the time, it was kind of sad. but never the less Miami does put out some great athletes.

:wall:

At least let him play a season before saying something as retarded as this about him. He deserves at least the opportunity that Leaf had if you're going to pull that comparison out of your ass. :bench:

ok.."last word" scooter boy says Smith is great

but can we hear from some SF homers? Is Smith (I heard him speak and he's sweet) lead the 9er's back from oblivion? Is Barlow the MAN or is Gore much more?

in Florida, sports talk radio is INTENSE...can SF radio be less?

SF homers?

No, I did not say Smith is great. I didn't say anything even remotely resembling that.

Let me see if I have this straight: You quoted me and still misrepresented what I'm saying?

That's deserving of "new leaf scooter" taking a break for a moment to call you a focking douche.

You focking douche.

there...:::whew, I feel better already. Now then N.L.S. is back - :banana:

I said that he has only started 2 games and it's too early to say he's the biggest bust ever, and compare him to Ryan Leaf. There's a big whopping difference. :thumbsup: I also credited him with playing hard in difficult times.

you need to learn to read, then respond. Read...then respond...read...then respond. You know, just so you don't look like such a 'tard when you say something in response to someone else.

And FYI: Football_Scooter = 25+ year Niner fan. :cheers:

Read, then respond. Try it sometime.

At this point I welcome the QB change. Dorsey started a few games last year, and even threw for 3 TDs in the win against Arizona. My only beef with Dorsey is that his arm seems weak. But at this point I'll take a weak arm if it means more accuracy and better decisions.

The thing about Smith is that I haven't seen anything positive from him. He looks lost out there, and seems to rush everything. He obviously has a strong arm, and he can scramble well, so he's got the physical skills. He's also a smart guy, you can tell when he talks. But none of that translates to success on the field. As a Cal fan, in retrospect I really wish the Niners had drafted Aaron Rodgers, at least Cal runs an NFL style offense. In college Alex always played from the shotgun with lots of option plays. I know it seems minor but if you're not used to taking snaps from the center it can make the whole transition to the NFL even more difficult.

As for Gore, I've been impressed with him. Barlow is definitely earning the starting job, but Gore has shown lots of promise. One of the things that always makes me cringe is the way Barlow holds the ball, he seems to flail his arms around, and he always seems to be a solid hit away from fumbling the ball. Gore seems to be more the stereotypical back, hitting the holes hard, using quick shifty moves to break for extra yards. I know his big 70 yard run last week was during garbage time, but he showed he has breakaway speed. When he saw dayilght no one could stop him. I've never seen that type of break away speed from Barlow.

I'm ten rows up on the 50yd line every game at the stick. The location of my seats tell you how long I've been a fan of the Niners and how many great football moments and players I've witnessed. I was at every home game last year, save the day after Christmas. I think that speaks volumes of the longevity and strength of my homerism. I'm optimistic about the future of the team, though the growing pains are exaclty that.....Painful! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Smith is going to be fine. Our O line pretty much sucks, which is exacerbated by Smith's rookieness. But, you could see that the game is slowing down for him over the past two games. He looked much better on TV in Washington, than at home v. Indy. Give him some time and a decent line. My bet is he'll be above average for a long time.

I've seen Dorsey and was in favor of him over Rattay last season. As a previous poster mentioned, many homers were. That said, I'd like to see more of Cody Pickett. I think that he could be good. He's got balls and a strong arm, he just needs opportunity. Heck, he has been playing on special teams too.....a QB on special teams ? :o Balls!

Barlow.....in my book has been dissapointing....He only seems to play well when he has competition for carries...ie Hearst, and now Gore....he sucked all the time in between. Many of us homers like Gore. He is explosive, but remember our O-line sucks, so maybe Barlow is pretty darn good and Gore maybe even better. But if things keep going as they are....I'm thinking Reggie Bush might be coming to town.

I'd bet that Barlow and Plummer are released as salary cap casualties in the offseason . Seems the team is cutting salary and going younger.....its that awful fan favorite word....reduilding :wall: They are cutting salary to resign JPete, and their 10 draft picks in next years draft......again going younger.

I have faith in Nolan and enjoy watching JPete, Tony Parrish and god bless the old man and last ring wearer BY. Lloyd is entertaining and I think Battle may have a future if he can get healthy, but the bottom line is........its going to be another year or two before we see a winning season......and again I remind you.....I'm optimistic.

My $0.02 :wall:

See you homers out there this weekend! :wall:

GO NINERS!!!!!!

But at this point I'll take a weak arm if it means more accuracy and better decisions.

Agreed.

The thing about Smith is that I haven't seen anything positive from him. 

Disagree - and you even mentioned 3 positives...athleticism, arm strength and intelligence. I can't htink of any three skills I'd rather have my QB have. You apparently have really really high expectations for a rookie who's played 2 games in his career. I don't. Especially with the offense he's been used to. Talk to me at the end of the 2006 season and we'll decide if he's shown you anything. Right now it's way premature to be slapping that sort of judgement on him.

As LODD said, he might not ever be worthy of the #1 overall pick, but I think he could be a solid NFL QB. He is sharp as a tack and will work his ass off to learn the offense. And through the draft and cap-healthy FA, there should be improvements to the O-Line and WR corps this offseason...let's judge him when he's had some time to play in a system where he has a better line and some receiving weapons.

As for Gore, I've been impressed with him.  Barlow is definitely earning the starting job, but Gore has shown lots of promise. 

Agreed - great pick, and a great value in the 3rd round. Not only for his lighing a fire under Barlow's arse, but for what he can bring. It might be RBBC in SF for a while starting next year - and it'd be a pretty nasty one. Both backs are talented and with a healthy passing game, I could see the Niners returning to compete in the not too distant future.

That's the thing about #1 overall QBs - more is expected of them than they can ever hope to deliver in their 1st season. That is a position that requires training, experience and maturity. To get those things, you need to play. Alex Smith is probably undeserving of the #1 overall pick - but he could be a heck of a QB if the team around him grows. Nolan seems like he has a plan, and Alex Smith is a part of that plan. I will continue to believe in the Niners because I believe they made the right move in bringing in Nolan. And in turn I think Nolan made the right moves bringing in his coaching staff. And with all those talented football minds, they came up with drafting Alex Smith. I will continue to believe that they knew something more about this kid than a bunch of shmoes on a message forum. No offense intended. :wall:

No matter what my opinion of Smith is, it's obvious he's going to get lots of chances this year. I just hope we start to see something from him soon, because having the 32nd ranked offense and defense is pretty pathetic.