Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

Old School Players...pre-80's

Whether you're quickly realizing that you're growing older (like me) or you like watching NFL Films and learning about the history of the game, I'm curious which players you'd want to see play today's version of the game.

Say, hypothetically (or take whichever hallucinogenic you wish) that you could time warp any player that played prior to 1980 in his prime (and his athletic development would be relatively on par to the current players) and watched him play in today's NFL.

Here's my list:

Gale Sayers--What he could do on a mud-soaked field was better than what I've seen from some of the best modern RBs on turf. I'd like to see Sayers in the Edward Jones Dome!

Jon Unitas--I'd like to see how effectively he'd read modern defenses and whether he could call his own plays. I bet he could...see Peyton Manning...

Paul Warfield--this guy was an amazing receiver that didn't play on explosive offenses. I'd like to see him in a modern offense. He had the running skills to be a great WCO guy, but also could get down field and be in a Coryell-based offense, too.

Sammy Baugh--Have you ever watched his interviews on his ranch? He's old as dirt, but he looks like he could still kick the butt of people half his age. I bet he'd be the perfect QB in the Broncos offense--he'd roll out like Plummer, but be more effective in the pocket and not make the boneheaded play.

###### Butkus--He'd probably be suspended for getting ejected too many times but I'd love to see him playing in pass coverage when T.O. runs a crossing route after a possession where he scored and did one of his routines (if Butkus didn't get kicked out for ripping T.O.'s leg out of its socket.

Deacon Jones--The guy that coined the term "sack"

###### Night Trane Lane--supposedly one of the most wicked hitters at safety ever...from what I saw, he made Rodney Harrison's hits look like love taps.

And of course, Jim Brown.

Guest Rock Hard

A little more recent player list (70s except JB):

QB - Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw, Fran Tarkinton

RB - Jim Brown, OJ (in his prime), Walter Payton

WR - Lynn Swann, Drew Pearson

TE - Dave Casper

Defenses - The Steel Curtin, The Purple People Eaters

Many fantastic memories.... damn I'm getting old!

Larry Csonka

harold Carmichael

Fred Stabler

Jack Tatum

Ever seen any footage of a guy named Emerson Boozler (sp?) big RB, looks like a man amongst boys in some of the highlights ... running with three guys hangin on him and stuff.

Ever seen any footage of a guy named Emerson Boozler (sp?) big RB, looks like a man amongst boys in some of the highlights ... running with three guys hangin on him and stuff.

Emerson Boozer of the JetsJetsJets.

Here's a few that come to mind:

Ray Nitsche(sp.)(he was as ugly as any linebacker ever)

Sam Huff

Butkus(took more cheap shots and crack-backs than anyone in history)

Eeerich Barnes(perfected the clothes-line tackle)

Rosie Grier and Deacon Jones

Icky Woods

William Perry

Ever seen any footage of a guy named Emerson Boozler (sp?)  big RB, looks like a man amongst boys in some of the highlights ... running with three guys hangin on him and stuff.

Emerson Boozer of the JetsJetsJets.

======~~~

Exhale ...

Anyone have any links to hightlight clips of this guy? I mean these were some of the craziest runs I've ever seen the opposite of Barry Sanders but just as outrageous. Running over guys and carrying multiple tacklers on his back into the end-zone.

Guest Rock Hard
Earl Campbell, again. He's the one player that drew me into football as a kid.

Oh yeah - remembering ole Earl MOWING down players :headbanger: Also, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson with his end zone shuffle, Coach Bum Phillups with his flat top crew cut (loved that guy!) .... the "Oil Derrick" helmet logo and the "Houston Oilers... Houston Oilers..." song.....

Sorry Titans, you're just a ghost of that great team.....

Yep, with the Jets.

Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, and Lance Allworth.

Lance Allworth...definitely.

Here's another...OLB Bobby Bell of the Chiefs. I was watching that NFL Greatest Moments segment on the guy. He looked like he was the size of a DE, but ran like a safety. They actually thought of putting him there when drafted by KC.

He's what the 49ers are hoping Julian Peterson will approach with his career. Though I like Peterson, I don't see it happening. Urlacher comes closer to him, but doesn't look like he was as big as Bell, either.

Al Bundy

Al could do the three point stance while he has his hand down his pants...

Hollywood Henderson. He was LT before LT, too bad he snorted it away. (that's the original LT not todays)