Sign in to follow this  
Woble Eth

Bad Beats - killer at the table..

Play every Thursday with some friends, all good players, each with their own style. Makes for a nice swing into Friday. Finished second, played fairly well, the cards were not friendly down the stretch, and in heads up play, the other guy was pulling straights out of his rear end. I could only hold on so long.

Anyway, last night had a Bad Beat, and I didn't know if the guy was going to laugh or cry.. I WAS GREAT!

Four players remained, cards dealt... I had K 5... I called as did everyone else.

Flop comes out A A 7..

Checks around, guy makes a sarcastic comment to the one guy, "don't be an a-hole and bet..." An obviously ploy to bait the guy. So of course, he tosses in $200. Goes around, I fold and so does the other guy. SO it is the fish and the fisherman. So the fisherman sees the $200 and raises $650. The fish goes all in. They are pretty even chips-wise. Turns out, it would leave the fisherman with one chip. Yup, a chip and a chair.

He calls and flips his cards:

A 3 !! A set of Aces. :)

The fish?

Pocket 7's - boat on the nuts! :bench:

Turn and the river come out, a 3 would have helped but it was not to come...

Set of A's - all for naught. I thought I saw smoke come out of his ears. :cheers:

Gotta love this game. :cry:

That isn't a bad beat. The 7's were favored pre-flop.

Tough beat - agreed.

Ok, I suck - like I'm feaking Aesop. ;)

FU George. :thumbsup:

Nuts, bad beats, slow play.. :P

That isn't a bad beat. The 7's were favored pre-flop.

I was just about to post a poker question today...funny I read this thread. This isn't a bad beat at all...as someone else said the 7s were favored pre-flop, and were still ahead after the flop. Sure, it was the only non Ace-2 hand that could have beat him, but that's just running into the wrong hand and getting beat by a better one.

Some people in my weekly game complain about bad beats. There are crappy ways to lose hands, but if a hand is favored pre-flop and wins, no matter how, it's not a bad beat.

A bad beat is the two hands that have knocked me out the past two weeks:

I have pocket Aces, and the dude has A-K. Flop comes down A-J-6. He bets, I go all-in, and he calls. Next two cards are Q and 10 to give him a straight. Same dude the next week...he's short stacked and goes all-in with K-J and I call him with pocket Kings. He flops a King high straight. :lol:

Not the nuts either. A, 7 would be the best hand.

Wrong as always. With that flop pocket aces would have been the nuts.

Wrong as always. With that flop pocket aces would have been the nuts.

Yes and no.

On the flop...AA is the overall nuts.

But A-7 would give you the nuts right there...because had a person had A-7...nobody could have had AA.

Changes could come on the turn and river if a higher card comes and someone else had an A-X > 7. Assuming that X that is greater than 7 hit the turn or the river.