Sign in to follow this  
Electric Mayhem

Theeeeey're baaaaaack! O&A to return to public airwaves

Actually, does it say anywhere that O&E get more $$$ at all? I would think XM has in their contract that after they do a show it is the property of XM to do with whatever they please, including selling it to CBS in a chopped version.

Actually, does it say anywhere that O&E get more $$$ at all? I would think XM has in their contract that after they do a show it is the property of XM to do with whatever they please, including selling it to CBS in a chopped version.

They have hinted that they are getting more money. They are doing an extra hour of radio now, and they are actually broadcasting from CBS, Stern's old room to be exact. CBS had to pay XM and O&A to get the show.

O&E / XM are freakin' idiots. They are throwing a life preserver to terrestrial radio when they should be throwing them an anchor.

This is the most important thing said so far in this thread. Why is XM helping a competiting radio format?

This is the most important thing said so far in this thread. Why is XM helping a competiting radio format?

i dont think the O&A show will singlehandedly save free radio. they're just using it to further promote xm. i think in the short term, it will help cbs and O&A, but in the long term it will help xm and o&a

My only estimation is that they are trying to solidify themselves as a bonafide content provider. I don't know how much money they got from CBS, but I would say it's worth many, many subscribers. More subscribers than thet thought they could get. It's sorta like the deal that they did with DirectTV.

Afgter thinking about it:

What % of XM subscribers are there ONLY for O&E? Maybe 5% MAX? I guess they figue the future will be in satellite radio regardless if O&E are on free radio or not - so why not make $$$ on both ends while terrestrial radio flounders and battles with the FCC. The people that went to XM for O&E have done so already. The people that are CONSIDERING going to Sirius only for Howard now have SOME kind of smut to listen to in the AM drive slot, so this move may keep them on terrestrial OR even push them to XM.

Didn't that fail and end badly?

No. Again, you don't know much about this stuff. Sorry.

Afgter thinking about it:

What % of XM subscribers are there ONLY for O&E? Maybe 5% MAX? I guess they figue the future will be in satellite radio regardless if O&E are on free radio or not - so why not make $$$ on both ends while terrestrial radio flounders and battles with the FCC. The people that went to XM for O&E have done so already. The people that are CONSIDERING going to Sirius only for Howard now have SOME kind of smut to listen to in the AM drive slot, so this move may keep them on terrestrial OR even push them to XM.

Listening to radio guys, a huge portion of Stern's listeners just kinda disappeared. He has gotten his loyal fans over to Sirius, but there are millions who didn't follow. They will listen to O&A in Stern's old timeslot.

Listening to radio guys, a huge portion of Stern's listeners just kinda disappeared. He has gotten his loyal fans over to Sirius, but there are millions who didn't follow. They will listen to O&A in Stern's old timeslot.

Yep - like me. I was a 'loyal' Stern follower, but not enough to make the switch to Sirius. I changed to ESPN radio for my morning drives. Now that O&E are on, I'll give them a shot. If they are good - good. if not, I still have Mike & Mike to keep me company in the morning on the way to the office.

Yep - like me. I was a 'loyal' Stern follower, but not enough to make the switch to Sirius. I changed to ESPN radio for my morning drives. Now that O&E are on, I'll give them a shot. If they are good - good. if not, I still have Mike & Mike to keep me company in the morning on the way to the office.

And I was one of the few that got XM just for O&A, but I'll either stay for all the other stuff, or I'll switch to Sirius for the NFL this fall, we'll see, but either way, I love me that Satellitte radio. If you can squeeze the 43 cents per day, I highly recommend it.

And I was one of the few that got XM just for O&A, but I'll either stay for all the other stuff, or I'll switch to Sirius for the NFL this fall, we'll see, but either way, I love me that Satellitte radio. If you can squeeze the 43 cents per day, I highly recommend it.

Cost is not the issue. I'm an electronics junkie to some extent, so when I move to Sirius, I want to have a unit that can be used in the car as well as the home and portable through headphones. Also, when it's in the car I want it to look very nice, and I do NOT want to use an FM modulator. I have a SAT button on my stereo for a direct hooup, but I don't think I can use that plug & play unit for my home/portable needs, and I DO NOT want to pay two subscription fees to have a clean unit in my car and also have it at home/portable.

I don't know, I don't have directtv.

Then don't be an idiot then. I was mentioning this because O&A got pulled from DirecTV last week as part of a play to go with only music on DirecTV's XM lineup. There has been somewhat of an uproar over the move and there are rumors that DirecTV might put it back on.

Perhaps if you read up on stuff before you post, you might actually add some value and not seem so stupid.

Cost is not the issue. I'm an electronics junkie to some extent, so when I move to Sirius, I want to have a unit that can be used in the car as well as the home and portable through headphones. Also, when it's in the car I want it to look very nice, and I do NOT want to use an FM modulator. I have a SAT button on my stereo for a direct hooup, but I don't think I can use that plug & play unit for my home/portable needs, and I DO NOT want to pay two subscription fees to have a clean unit in my car and also have it at home/portable.

I have an XM unit you can take from car and home, it looks fine in my car. I also have the sat ready head unit, but wanted a portable one, also it was over a G to get it installed and working with my head unit. I bought the portable unit ($35) and got it installed, no wires, looks perfect, like it was built for the car. I use the FM modulator and it sounds fine. They also make a unit that you can record hours of data onto and playback later when you might not get a signal. Not sure what sirius has.

Then don't be an idiot then. I was mentioning this because O&A got pulled from DirecTV last week as part of a play to go with only music on DirecTV's XM lineup. There has been somewhat of an uproar over the move and there are rumors that DirecTV might put it back on.

Perhaps if you read up on stuff before you post, you might actually add some value and not seem so stupid.

What's with the insults? :cry: You got an inferiority complex or something?

If you knew that they were pulled off last week for "music only" and might get put back on, why say that the XM/directv deal "failed and ended badly"? It doesn't matter, I'm done with you.

I use the FM modulator and it sounds fine.

I'm already using an FM modulator for a DVD player in my car, and it sounds decent for movies, but like ass when I have a live music DVD playing. I REALLY don't want to listen to music through a modulator.

I'm already using an FM modulator for a DVD player in my car, and it sounds decent for movies, but like ass when I have a live music DVD playing. I REALLY don't want to listen to music through a modulator.

I thought the same thing, as I had a modulator for an ipod that sucked, but this modulator is really good. You can choose any frequency, and it actually transmits a good distance, no static or anything. Trust me, it's good.

What's with the insults? :rolleyes: You got an inferiority complex or something?

If you knew that they were pulled off last week for "music only" and might get put back on, why say that the XM/directv deal "failed and ended badly"? It doesn't matter, I'm done with you.

You are the one following me from post to post saying that I "know nothing" and then when I prove you wrong, you scurry away to the next thread.

You are the one following me from post to post saying that I "know nothing" and then when I prove you wrong, you scurry away to the next thread.

But it didn't fail and end badly. I'm not following you, I'm replying to your posts, and this is the only thread besides maybe one or two others I'm posting in.

I can't deal handling with you kids.

But it didn't fail and end badly. I'm not following you, I'm replying to your posts, and this is the only thread besides maybe one or two others I'm posting in.

I can't deal handling with you kids.

Hey gutterboy, why the new name?

I don't know how much money they got from CBS, but I would say it's worth many, many subscribers. More subscribers than thet thought they could get. It's sorta like the deal that they did with DirectTV.

Subscribers are worth more than a lump sum of money or CBS contract money. Subscribers continue to pay $13 bucks a month, and assuming the service is good, they will continue to renew their subscription for years to come. Subscribers = Long Term revenue...CBS Payout = Short Term Revenue. At least Wall Street recognizes this...

Plus, do you really think millions of Stern fans who still haven't made the switch to Sirius radio will automatically become regulars for O&A? Some may...b/c O&A are rip off artists of the Stern product...but I think most will see the difference in quality...

O&A will be the "talk" of the industry for about a month until the honeymoon wears off. In their first week on CBS radio, they will manage to field calls from the vast minority of old stern fans who have made the switch to their show, and O&A will cherish in their own glory. If CBS thinks O&A will replace the large audience Stern once commanded, they are in for a big awakening. I'll periodically post their Arbitron ratings to show their shortfall.

Subscribers are worth more than a lump sum of money or CBS contract money. Subscribers continue to pay $13 bucks a month, and assuming the service is good, they will continue to renew their subscription for years to come. Subscribers = Long Term revenue...CBS Payout = Short Term Revenue. At least Wall Street recognizes this...

Plus, do you really think millions of Stern fans who still haven't made the switch to Sirius radio will automatically become regulars for O&A? Some may...b/c O&A are rip off artists of the Stern product...but I think most will see the difference in quality...

O&A will be the "talk" of the industry for about a month until the honeymoon wears off. In their first week on CBS radio, they will manage to field calls from the vast minority of old stern fans who have made the switch to their show, and O&A will cherish in their own glory. If CBS thinks O&A will replace the large audience Stern once commanded, they are in for a big awakening. I'll periodically post their Arbitron ratings to show their shortfall.

The contract could be for several years, several million a year, ie long term revenue like subscriber, we don't know this cause the details are not public.

As for Stern fans listening to O&A, yeah, I think they will. If they are true Stern lovers like yourself, they will get Sirius, but for the 90% of fans that didn't follow him to Sirius, they will listen simply because it's on. Some may enjoy the show more, some may enjoy it less, we'll see. I don't expect the ratings to be as large as Stern's was in that slot for several years until they've had time to build an audience, but feel free to post them.

As for Stern fans listening to O&A, yeah, I think they will. If they are true Stern lovers like yourself, they will get Sirius, but for the 90% of fans that didn't follow him to Sirius, they will listen simply because it's on. Some may enjoy the show more, some may enjoy it less, we'll see. I don't expect the ratings to be as large as Stern's was in that slot for several years until they've had time to build an audience, but feel free to post them.

Yeah, I will be listening. I listened to Stern for 17 years or so, and when he left, there was a huge void. Nothing in this town is worth listening to. With absolutely no competition, Opie and Anthony are at least better than nothing. The watered down show > anything else.

The contract could be for several years, several million a year, ie long term revenue like subscriber, we don't know this cause the details are not public.

This is assuming CBS doesn't fire them in several months like they did to David Lee Roth. Or even a year down the road. CBS has a way of getting out of contacts and not living up to the life of the contract. Roth is about to go through legal hell trying to get them to pay him.

But anyway...enjoy your 3-hours of watered down O&A every day!

This is assuming CBS doesn't fire them in several months like they did to David Lee Roth. Or even a year down the road. CBS has a way of getting out of contacts and not living up to the life of the contract. Roth is about to go through legal hell trying to get them to pay him.

dude, you already said this point on the first page, and people rebutted your statement. why you bringing it up again?

CBS fired Roth cause his show was awful. O&A have already proven that they can get big ratings, so they will most likely not get fired unless they screw up again.

dude, you already said this point on the first page, and people rebutted your statement. why you bringing it up again?

Dude, that was Patriotsfatboy1 who said that; not me. Get your facts straight...

Plus, Mr. Steak and I were discussing XM's deal with CBS and how it helps/hurts the company. CBS can "fire" O&A (or XM...or however you want to call it) and they can probably find a legal loophole so they don't have to pay the full amount on the CBS/XM contract.

Dude, that was Patriotsfatboy1 who said that; not me. Get your facts straight...

Plus, Mr. Steak and I were discussing XM's deal with CBS and how it helps/hurts the company. CBS can "fire" O&A (or XM...or however you want to call it) and they can probably find a legal loophole so they don't have to pay the full amount on the CBS/XM contract.

so what? so your saying because there is a CHANCE that cbs could find a legal loophole (link?) to cancel the arrangement, they shouldn't even bother making a agreement that would help both parties? that makes no sense

so what? so your saying because there is a CHANCE that cbs could find a legal loophole (link?) to cancel the arrangement, they shouldn't even bother making a agreement that would help both parties? that makes no sense

It's obvious he's a rabid Stern fan and thus, an O&A hater, therefore rational thought cannot be applied.

Whatever...

Mr. Steak was talking about the long term benefits of this contract for XM...and I was throwing out the fact that those benefits would be diminished if CBS cancelled the deal. Thats all...

Get with the conversation and stop fishing.

It's obvious he's a rabid Stern fan and thus, an O&A hater, therefore rational thought cannot be applied.

Ok, "Mr. Steak" or whoever you really are. I happen to be a Stern fan...but the industry fascinates me. This deal seems to help CBS in the short term and hurts XM in the short term. I've posted rational thought...but you seem to jaded to O&A to comprehend it.

Whatever...

Mr. Steak was talking about the long term benefits of this contract for XM...and I was throwing out the fact that those benefits would be diminished if CBS cancelled the deal. Thats all...

Get with the conversation and stop fishing.

i'm not fishing at all, i am just perplexed by you saying, in a nutshell, that this deal sucks because cbs "could" possibily find a way to cancel the deal in the future. that doesnt sound like a bonafide reason to NOT make a deal with someone, the idea that it "could" be ended.

btw, its a tip that just because someone disagrees with you, it doesnt mean they're fishing

Whatever...

Ok, "Mr. Steak" or whoever you really are. I happen to be a Stern fan...but the industry fascinates me. This deal seems to help CBS in the short term and hurts XM in the short term. I've posted rational thought...but you seem to jaded to O&A to comprehend it.

We don't know what the contract is so we can't speculate what would happen if it's broken.

I've agreed that there are risks to XM and that it does hurt them short term, I believe it helps them long term. CBS has nothing to lose with this deal unless they overpaid. I think O&A will be successful, you do not, that is where we differ.

i'm not fishing at all, i am just perplexed by you saying, in a nutshell, that this deal sucks because cbs "could" possibily find a way to cancel the deal in the future. that doesnt sound like a bonafide reason to NOT make a deal with someone, the idea that it "could" be ended.

btw, its a tip that just because someone disagrees with you, it doesnt mean they're fishing

Actually..."in a nutshell", I've listed more than a half dozen reasons why this deal sucks to all of the parties involved. If you actually read my posts in this thread you would already know that...and it would save you from being further "perplexed".

Actually..."in a nutshell", I've listed more than a half dozen reasons why this deal sucks to all of the parties involved. If you actually read my posts in this thread you would already know that...and it would save you from being further "perplexed".

With them all boiling down to reason #1, BABABOOEY!!!!

With them all boiling down to reason #1, BABABOOEY!!!!

Ok, Stalker Patty. :thumbsup:

I'm done discussing this with you. Feel free to come back as the alias I actually like so we can have a better conversation about this.

And as a point of clarification, I stated that:

1. The President appoints the FCC

2. Michael Powell was appointed as Chairman of FCC by Bush. He had been appointed Commissioner by Clinton

3. O&A are dumb in this in that they are making a deal with CBS who has consistently broken contracts with their talent

4. Said that DirecTV pulled O&A last week

5. I called Mr. Steak an "idiot" for telling me that I know nothing with respect to items 2 & 4

I have no idea if this is a good deal for CBS and XM. I would say that it is probably an act of desperation by both, but that does not mean that it can't be successful.

And as a point of clarification, I stated that:

1. The President appoints the FCC

2. Michael Powell was appointed as Chairman of FCC by Bush. He had been appointed Commissioner by Clinton

3. O&A are dumb in this in that they are making a deal with CBS who has consistently broken contracts with their talent

4. Said that DirecTV pulled O&A last week

5. I called Mr. Steak an "idiot" for telling me that I know nothing with respect to items 2 & 4

I have no idea if this is a good deal for CBS and XM. I would say that it is probably an act of desperation by both, but that does not mean that it can't be successful.

1) yeah no sh!t

2) again, yes.

3) They still have a deal with XM, it's not dumb to have 2 deals.

4) You said that O&A on directv was a failure, then you said they just wanted all music and are considering putting them back.

5) I agreed with you on point 2 obviously, you contradicted yourself on point 4.

4) You said that O&A on directv was a failure, then you said they just wanted all music and are considering putting them back.

5) I agreed with you on point 2 obviously, you contradicted yourself on point 4.

Look them up. When I stated that Powell was appointed FCC Chairman by Bush, you told me that it was Clinton. I showed you the facts and you gave the standard, "I disagree, but whatever".

As far as DirecTV goes, I asked, "Didn't that fail and end badly?". You then stated that I was wrong and that I don't know anything on this as well. I then asked you what station I can listen on DirecTV for O&A. You said that you did not know. I then told you that they were pulled. As near as I can tell, if something is a success, you don't pull it. If it is not a success, then it is a failure in my book. No contradiction there.

i dont see why this is so dumb for O&A. even though you say that CBS consistently broke contracts with their talent, the fact that they are still under contract with XM, i would be lead to believe that to O&A, this is, at minimum, an extra check, free money, for doing the exact same thing they already do.

like, 3 things could happen:

1. O&A turn down the deal with CBS. they only get paid only by XM.

1. O&A sign the deal with cbs, and they get paid by both XM and CBS. and it succeeds for both parties.

2. O&A sign the deal with cbs, and they get paid by both XM and CBS, cbs terminates their contract, and they go on just getting paid only by XM.

i just dont see the risk in O&A signing with cbs. even if it does fail miserably, they just go back to square 1, exactly where they were before the deal. whats the risk?

to O&A, this is like finding money lying on the street; its an additional stream of income for doing the exact same thing they where doing already.

why WOULDNT they take this deal?

Look them up. When I stated that Powell was appointed FCC Chairman by Bush, you told me that it was Clinton. I showed you the facts and you gave the standard, "I disagree, but whatever".

As far as DirecTV goes, I asked, "Didn't that fail and end badly?". You then stated that I was wrong and that I don't know anything on this as well. I then asked you what station I can listen on DirecTV for O&A. You said that you did not know. I then told you that they were pulled. As near as I can tell, if something is a success, you don't pull it. If it is not a success, then it is a failure in my book. No contradiction there.

I said I disagreed that it's a political position and that there is a big difference from being on the FCC as opposed to running the FCC.

You said directv removed them because they wanted all music. You then said they were considering putting them back on. That's not failure nor is it ending badly. And my point wasn't O&A on directv, it was XM content on directv. It's an example of XM selling content to another provider, like they are doing with CBS.

Do you always turn everything into a semantic pissing match?