Sign in to follow this  
football_scooter

Why are the Raiders going QB when they took

I am really puzzled as to why the Raiders would be looking to take a QB at all, when they have so many other holes.

Can any Raiders homers help to illuminate this? My best friend is a Raider fan and he's pissed off that they got Brooks, because Brooks sucks and they drafted Walter in 2005.

He seems to think Walter is the classic pocket passer, with decent escapability.

So why would the Raiders take Young at 7, or (gasp!) deal up to take Leinart?

:(

Has Walter played? What's the deal?

Walter didnt play due to injury but someone posted an article, about what i forget now, but that made it seem like Brooks was here for one season only

they said that Walter or whomever they draft this year will likely be starting next year - Brooks is around to help teach(how to get sacked and throw INTs i guess) and be a veteran fill in to evaluate some of the other players they have on roster

i dont know, sounds very silly but Raider like to me

i dont know, sounds very silly but Raider like to me

this is prob the most accurate way or putting it...

i agree that theres no way they should take a QB...

they have an underperfoming offense, yes, but theyve been close to the

bottom on D the lsat few years...

they should be looking for DT, S, or LB....

walter looked very good last preseaon (vs 3rd stringers)

but has gotten fairly positive reviews so far...

but davis is davis (al that is)

he does what he wants and if he like leinart and maybe had somekind of a flashbak

to kenny stabler (which he in fact mentioned when he met with leinart)...he will do all

he can to try to 'relive the glory days'

this is why no real coach will accept a job under davis...

i hope they cannot trade up and both qbs are gone.

ideal situation would be hawk or ngata or maybe huff

Walter didnt play due to injury

Correct.

scooter, keep in mind that Walter was a pick in the previous coaching staff era. New coaches almost want their own QB in there. Brad Childress, Rod Marinelli, and Sean Payton all made changes despite having much more proven commodities than Walter. Walter was probably a reach in the third round and shouldn't be entitled to anything from Art Shell's perspective. This offseason I've heard a lot of people question why the Raiders aren't banking on Walter. I wouldn't have minded if they gave him a shot to be the starter, but since they signed Brooks it's obvious they don't think Walter can start now. As such there's no way that Walter's presence is going to effect what they do with their first pick. Hell, Tui was a 2nd round pick and the team never banked on him, either.

That said, I don't want the Raiders to trade up for a QB. And I'm not too excited about picking Young at #7 if he falls there either. I'm fine with Brooks/Walter as 1/2 for the next two years, considering how many other holes we have, one of which could be filled nicely with that pick. (Ngata, Huff, Hawk, Justice would all be very useful and much less risky.) I'm fine with not searching for another QB for another year or two.

Correct.

scooter, keep in mind that Walter was a pick in the previous coaching staff era. New coaches almost want their own QB in there. Brad Childress, Rod Marinelli, and Sean Payton all made changes despite having much more proven commodities than Walter. Walter was probably a reach in the third round and shouldn't be entitled to anything from Art Shell's perspective. This offseason I've heard a lot of people question why the Raiders aren't banking on Walter. I wouldn't have minded if they gave him a shot to be the starter, but since they signed Brooks it's obvious they don't think Walter can start now. As such there's no way that Walter's presence is going to effect what they do with their first pick. Hell, Tui was a 2nd round pick and the team never banked on him, either.

That said, I don't want the Raiders to trade up for a QB. And I'm not too excited about picking Young at #7 if he falls there either. I'm fine with Brooks/Walter as 1/2 for the next two years, considering how many other holes we have, one of which could be filled nicely with that pick. (Ngata, Huff, Hawk, Justice would all be very useful and much less risky.) I'm fine with not searching for another QB for another year or two.

As you might remember, I was and have been very critical of the Raiders move especially the Brooks signing. I felt he wasn't adding anything skill wise above and beyond what they would find in the draft or with Walter. The only thing he has going for him is experience.. I still think his downside is far worse though, the errors, the lack of passion for the game and he seemingly 'at ease' with losing....

However, I am not sold on Young either from a risk perspective vs his draft spot. If they do take Young its telling us that the defense is probably going to be as good as its going to get this year and they are looking to the long-term benefits from Young. That conflicts with their position that they want to build a winner sooner rather than later. If they take Young, they are pushign that window out a few years.

Lastly, the good thing about taking Young is that this draft is heavy with quality D players and O linemen deep into the draft and light on real quality position O players. Maybe its a better strategy to take the good O player early, in this case Young and go for the quality D players later. I woudl still rather have Hawk though....

I felt [brooks] wasn't adding anything skill wise above and beyond what they would find in the draft or with Walter. The only thing he has going for him is experience.. I still think his downside is far worse though, the errors, the lack of passion for the game and he seemingly 'at ease' with losing....

I don't agree with this. Brooks also has athleticism going for him, which Walter doesn't. And experience is very important. As for his downside being worse, we really don't know what downside Walter has. He might make terrible decisions in the NFL well. That ASU system is cranking out big-time production, they had a freshman QB step in and light it up in the bowl game this year. Walter could as easily be a total bust as a legit NFL starter.

However, I am not sold on Young either from a risk perspective vs his draft spot. If they do take Young its telling us that the defense is probably going to be as good as its going to get this year and they are looking to the long-term benefits from Young. That conflicts with their position that they want to build a winner sooner rather than later. If they take Young, they are pushign that window out a few years.

I agree with this. And actually this is the one reason I would be excited if they took Young. The Raiders need to quit this reloading crap and rebuild for real. It's a joke that we are probably bottom-5 in terms of cap room and bottom-5 in terms of talent as well.

Lastly, the good thing about taking Young is that this draft is heavy with quality D players and O linemen deep into the draft and light on real quality position O players.

I actually like some of the later-round quarterbacks. But, in the unlikely event that we spent a non-1st round pick on a QB, they probably will never see the field, based on our recent history...

Young has potential to be an all world player ! Running ability just barely below Micheal Vick and the potential to actually be a strong passer as he showed he could indeed do in college.

I would take young as well if I was the raiders - simply becasue Young alone ( if he live s up to the extreme hype ) could be a player that can really make an offense go all by himself with little help. He's also of all the QB's a the greatest team leader.

That said Young would be the 1 and only QB I would take if i was oakland. Leinart and Cutler are average and might be good / might be awful. Young has potential to either be alot better than either Leinart or Cutler - or alot worse that both.

If Young is not available - Micheal Huff should be the selection - or maybe if a guy like Hawk or Davis fall.

Correct.

:thumbsup: