Sign in to follow this  
bjlmonster

Will Rackers Repeat...

Rackers scored 140 NFL points last year (Feely 148). Question is, with the addition of Edge, Pope, Leinhart, etc. will he continue to get those FG opportunities when the offense sputters in inside the 30?

I actually think as long as he remains so accurate, he will be a top 5 kicker. Addition of Edge may actually get them inside the 30 more often, but that line will still sputter eventually.

Discuss

the only thing consistent about kickers from year to year is their inconsistency.

my last 2 picks of any draft are kickers. I do this every year, and I've never had one out of the top 10.

the only thing consistent about kickers from year to year is their inconsistency.

my last 2 picks of any draft are kickers. I do this every year, and I've never had one out of the top 10.

Agree completely. I never draft a kicker before the last round. Very rarely do kickers have consistent top seasons. I've drafted a guy each year that didn't have a great season the year before, and ended up top 5 the following year.

with Warner, he'll be no worse

if Leinart starts, then yes his numbers go down with an increase in XPs

the thing is, Feeley will go down due to Eli maturing along with the rest of the team

even if they didnt though, they still wouldn't warrant much more than a second to last draft pick anyways

the K market is just too flooded and a non-impact position to be worth anything more

I agree with y'all and don't pick kickers early, ever. Rackers will be selected when I am selecting solid backups at key positions, but...

I am concerned with him because of a dynasty. I have both Rackers and Akers, who I love, but they have the same bye week. I am trying to figure out if Rackers is worth keeping over Akers, or if I should drop him before our rookie draft.

I agree with y'all and don't pick kickers early, ever. Rackers will be selected when I am selecting solid backups at key positions, but...

I am concerned with him because of a dynasty. I have both Rackers and Akers, who I love, but they have the same bye week. I am trying to figure out if Rackers is worth keeping over Akers, or if I should drop him before our rookie draft.

I'd keep Rackers & Drop Akers. Don't waste a roster spot w/ two kickers; Just pick one up off the WW for your bye.

Seriously, I know this is repeated over & over... but it's a hard lesson to learn. DO NOT waste any time, auction dollars, roster spots or anything else on K's & D's. It's a damn toss-up every year with these guys. I'm still kicking my own arse for wasting 9$ in my last auction on the Ravens D. That was the last time, I swear it.

I had Rackers in all 5 of my money leagues last year. I knew he was in for a good season and would be one of the top kickers because I owned him the year before. Now I didn't expected him to have as much of the huge season he did. I made all 5 of my playoffs thanks to Neils help. I expect another good season out of him but not quit as good as last year. I think his numbers drop off some but still think he will be the top kicker this year.

As much as I agree that you can't worry about where you are going to draft you're def-kicker, It is quite frustrating when you lose to a kicker/def. A guy in my keeper league had Rackers and Chicago D. Just to put it into perspective, Rackers finished with an ave. of 10 points/game. Chicago finished at 12 points/game. 12 points a game average puts chicago defense at #10 for RB's over TJones, Steven Jackson, Warrick Dunn, Willie Parker. I played him in week two. I had a pretty good week overall...Chicago put up 38 points, Rackers 13.

I know its a crap shoot, but picking the right Def. or Kicker can add 2-3 wins to you team. The guy above finished fourth in the league (nothing spectacular) With any other defense/kicker, he has barely a .500 record.

That being said, he lucked into those two picks, he admittedly did not target either of them. He picked the two highest ranked at the time.

As much as I agree that you can't worry about where you are going to draft you're def-kicker, It is quite frustrating when you lose to a kicker/def. A guy in my keeper league had Rackers and Chicago D. Just to put it into perspective, Rackers finished with an ave. of 10 points/game. Chicago finished at 12 points/game. 12 points a game average puts chicago defense at #10 for RB's over TJones, Steven Jackson, Warrick Dunn, Willie Parker. I played him in week two. I had a pretty good week overall...Chicago put up 38 points, Rackers 13.

I know its a crap shoot, but picking the right Def. or Kicker can add 2-3 wins to you team. The guy above finished fourth in the league (nothing spectacular) With any other defense/kicker, he has barely a .500 record.

That being said, he lucked into those two picks, he admittedly did not target either of them. He picked the two highest ranked at the time.

All that said, kicker and defenses are the most inconsistent thing from year to year.

One injury can decimate a defense.

Improvements to an offense can devalue the most valuable kicker.

Kickers I target are on teams with decent offense that struggle in the red zone. I'd recommend the Niners kicker this year, except for the swirling winds - that's why dome kickers get a big boost too.

Cards have Edge - I don't see them struggling in the red zone as much.

I remember the year after Vanderjagt had a monster season, he was taken in the 8th round in my league. He ended up with a crapload of XPs and hardly any FGs - the Colts were way too good at scoring TDs.

You never can tell which kickers will be huge year to year - it's one of the only positions where past performance is 100% irrelevant as a predictor of future success, because what makes a kicker valuable isn't being a good kicker, it's having the right opportunities. FGs = :cheers: XPs = :thumbsup: and god only knows what a kicker will have the opportunity to do.

All that said, kicker and defenses are the most inconsistent thing from year to year.

One injury can decimate a defense.

Improvements to an offense can devalue the most valuable kicker.

Kickers I target are on teams with decent offense that struggle in the red zone. I'd recommend the Niners kicker this year, except for the swirling winds - that's why dome kickers get a big boost too.

Cards have Edge - I don't see them struggling in the red zone as much.

I remember the year after Vanderjagt had a monster season, he was taken in the 8th round in my league. He ended up with a crapload of XPs and hardly any FGs - the Colts were way too good at scoring TDs.

You never can tell which kickers will be huge year to year - it's one of the only positions where past performance is 100% irrelevant as a predictor of future success, because what makes a kicker valuable isn't being a good kicker, it's having the right opportunities. FGs = :banana: XPs = :wub: and god only knows what a kicker will have the opportunity to do.

That is a very good point. I took Vanderjerk last year with the thought being: Indy scores all the time, they're in a dome etc. problem was, they DID score all the time. There were very few games where he hadmore than one FG. 3-4 xp's is 3-4 points. :banana:

Along those lines I think Lindell would be a good pick as Buffalo's offense is rather smelly.

Well, I think I am going to hold onto Rackers and let Akers go. Who knows, may have Rackers cut and replaced by week 3 though, so who knows!

Rackers will probably be good again, but how much better can be than a K you could take 4 or 5 rounds later? Probably not much, good kickers ALWAYS go late and usually a great K can be found in free agency(Rackers last year wasnte even drafted in some of my leagues)

Rackers will probably be good again, but how much better can be than a K you could take 4 or 5 rounds later? Probably not much, good kickers ALWAYS go late and usually a great K can be found in free agency(Rackers last year wasnte even drafted in some of my leagues)

Yeah, he wasn't drafted in all 3 of my leagues!

In my dynasty, I kept Rackers and traded my all time favorite kicker (Akers) and rookie pick 2.12 for rookie pick 2.08. Not alot, but for a kicker that I was going to cut anyways, a good deal.

Go Rackers! :lol:

dont draft kickers early...just get one last round and settle with that...

Pick one in the second to last round (D in the last round) and watch the WW for both. Worked for me for over 10 years. Last year, I ended up with Feely and Bears, both off the WW. :lol: Most owners get lazy at both postions and don't watch the WW for either. My gain.

I would much rather spend my auction dollars on starters and backups than on kickers and defenses. I started with Todd Petersen as my kicker and Detroit as my defense/special teams and spent $1 each on both of them. I cut Petersen in week 3 to pick up Jay Feely and cut Detroit's D/special teams to pick up Cincinnati. Cincinnati did struggle down the stretch but throughout the year, they were consistent.

I will say if you can pick up what you think is a top rated K or D/ST for $1 in an auction league, go for it but otherwise it's not worth it.

I'd like to say that he would, but the whol reason kickers score that many points is because the offense can't score themselves. With Arizona having an offense that could top the league in a number of categories, look for Rackers' numbers to drop...he will still be a top 10 kicket though.

Every fantasy season a top 10 fantasy kicker can be had from the waiver wire. Rackers went undrafted in 99% of all fantasy drafts last season.

Very good savage, but I took that as understood and responded to the actual post...you should try and do the same instead of attempting to dawn all of us with your glorious knowledge that everyone else takes as given.

Very good savage, but I took that as understood and responded to the actual post...you should try and do the same instead of attempting to dawn all of us with your glorious knowledge that everyone else takes as given.

But the rest of you are numb nuts idiots, and have no clue what you are talknig about :banana: . Maybe you should find a new hobby. You are clueless about all things football.

But the rest of you are numb nuts idiots, and have no clue what you are talknig about :sleep: . Maybe you should find a new hobby. You are clueless about all things football.

perhaps you should invest in a spellchecker.

:sleep:

;)

:mad:

;)

Spellcheckers are for nerds and losers. Look at me, I won the spelling bees and quizbowls in school while everybody else was playing football. Boy am I cool with the ladies, I can spell. :mad:

My last 2 picks are usually Kicker and Defense. It's worked out, I took Feely last year and he was great except that seattle game.

I think Vanderjagt will be a nice kicker to target. parcell likes giving his kicker opps, and the offense is just good enough...I like Akers to bounce back too.

When I pick, I think I'll be targeting the JAX kicker, Scooby-Doo

Edge on team means more TDs rather than FGs. He is still top 10 probably but how much difference is there between #10 and #20 anyway.

Edge on team means more TDs rather than FGs. He is still top 10 probably but how much difference is there between #10 and #20 anyway.

Edge is on my dont draft list. He has a history of tanking after a new contract, and he is going from the #1 run blocking line in the NFL to the #32 OL. That's right, best to worst. Even allowing for a significant upgrade in OL in 'Zona, he wont come close to matching last year's numbers. Actually JJ is a sleeper, now that I think about it. Edge likes to get hurt with a new contract in his pocket.

J

Any conversation re: a kicker is meaningless, unless you think that your first FF kicker should be drafted in any round other than the second-to-last.

Wow.....a thread about a kicker with 28 replies.

Only at FFToday......... :clap: