Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

Wildman's Wednesday Sessions

Hi Wildman. Got what may be an easy question for you, but I'd like to hear some other input on it.

I'm in a 10 team keeper league. Keep 5 players per year, no more than two at any position. Draft to a 20 player roster. Starting positions are: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB, 1 K, 1 DEF, 1 LB/DL, 1 DB.

Scoring: TD=6 for all positions (passing too), fairly standard yardage scoring (1/50 passing, 1/20 rushing or receiving), .5/reception for all, .1/carry for all. QBs score +.3 per completion, -.3 per incompletion. Interesting scoring system with the carries and completions earning points, and penalties for incompletions. It has me wondering if Manning is indeed the best option. Most people believe Eli will take the next step and post a much higher completion percentage. I'm not sold, but there are doubters about Culpepper returning to the level of play he performed with the Vikings and Moss in tow. I don't think Culpepper will be as good this year as next, but I'm sort of a skeptic about his knee.

I'm set with my two keeper RBs, and no need to upgrade them at all. I'm keeping Eli Manning, and letting Culpepper go back into the draft--I'm pretty sold on that idea, but if you've got a reason to go the other route, I'm listening. <_<

My question comes with my WRs. I don't have a TE worth keeping in this format (had McMichael and Troupe last year), so it's WRs for my other two spots.

Here's what I have at WR:

BoldinHave to keep

HoushmanzadehI don't think he's a bad option if you think about dealing away Moss

Andre JohnsonNope

Randy Moss

Troy WilliamsonNope

I'll tell you right off the bat that I've penciled in Randy Moss, and 'penned' in Anquan Boldin (pen is more permanent :(

My first question is whether you think a better combo of WRs would suit me better. Moss is the one I'm shaky on. Two down years in a row, getting older. Recently, though, with Jerry Porter getting pissy (I love Art Shell..."Who the f--- do you think you are?" Hehheh), I figure Moss's value might be up.If you don't make any deals, I think keeping Moss is a pretty good choice, but your reasons for being shaky about him are good. This is a receiver that runs a limited number of routes and hasn't stayed healthy for an entire season for what, three years? Houshmanzadeh gets a lot of catches and he was actually a top-12 WR in 1 point per reception leagues--I know yours is half that amount--but that still makes him a decent #2 WR and very good depth. Still, I don't think he has the upside of Moss

My second question is more freeform. We're also allowed to trade draft picks, and any player from our final week's roster from last year, before the draft. In other words, before the draft I can trade away a player I'm *not* keeping from my roster last year, in return for a draft pick, or upgrade at a keeper slot. Follow?

Okay, so here's what I have left on my roster after my keepers (other than the WRs above):

Randy McMichael

Cadillac Williams

Ben Troupe

Warrick Dunn

Ryan Fitzpatrick (I know, I know, just being thorough)

Mark Brunell

Daunte Culpepper

Priest Holmes (again, probably little value anymore)

What tempts me is this: I could probably combine Moss and Caddy into a deal for a WR upgrade from Moss. I think I could get Marvin Harrison, for instance. However, it gets more interesting. I have the 4th pick in the 1st round of the draft, and conceivably *could* get Caddy back if I don't trade him away. Right now, it looks like the only talent that'll be in the draft that's in the same league as Caddy is Julius Jones, Addai, Dom Davis, Willie Parker...just goes down from there.I think getting a shot at Caddy again is a great idea. At .1 per carry, he should earn as many points in attempts as most top receivers and then you have his yardage, TDs, and hopefully alot more receptions. I think you have to make the trade if you can get Steve Smith. But Harrison was just one spot better than Houshmandzadeh on the Crank Score ranking (although his fpts per game and elite games were higher. But Harrison had a "down year" for his usual production. Then again so did Moss. Me? I'd take the chance on Moss, Boldin, and Caddy if I knew I had better than a 90% chance to get Williams back. If not, I'd try for Smith, but I'd still probably accept Harrison.

Do you think a possible regaining of Caddy in the draft, to fill in that WR/RB flex spot, is better than upgrading Moss to Harrison? What if I could possibly get Steve Smith for the same deal? Any other WRs who would be worth making that deal for (considering I'd be giving one of my opponents Moss and Caddy...).

I know, an odd question. But that's what I'm puzzling over. I'm not losing sleep over this...my RBs and Boldin should easily keep me at least in the running this year. It does look like the makings of a very good squad. Good luck!

Any thoughts you can give are appreciated.

"Scoring: TD=6 for all positions (passing too), fairly standard yardage scoring (1/50 passing, 1/20 rushing or receiving), .5/reception for all, .1/carry for all. QBs score +.3 per completion, -.3 per incompletion. Interesting scoring system with the carries and completions earning points, and penalties for incompletions. It has me wondering if Manning is indeed the best option. Most people believe Eli will take the next step and post a much higher completion percentage. I'm not sold, but there are doubters about Culpepper returning to the level of play he performed with the Vikings and Moss in tow. I don't think Culpepper will be as good this year as next, but I'm sort of a skeptic about his knee. "

Thanks for the good input. You're right, it was a difficult decision to pick Eli over Daunte. We have until just before our draft to finalize our keepers. Last January, Eli seemed like the obvious pick, of course. Even now, though...as you say, I'm not sold on someone coming back from a total knee blowout. Particularly not when Cul's game is/was built on scrambling, and being able to shrug off tacklers. He'll do better than last year (not hard to do that), but not as good as when he won my league title for me two years ago (or three years ago too).

Eli also has 4 fewer years on Daunte, and as we're seeing, a pocket passer has a longer lifespan than a scrambler.

We developed that scoring system via trial and error. For a number of years, QBs were easily the highest scoring position in the league. We didn't want to hamstring them (not with people planning keepers each year), but the penalty for being inaccurate brought them down to where the RBs and WRs are. It's fairly balanced at this point. Guys like Peyton, Palmer, and 2004's Culpepper still tend top to the rankings when they have great years. But I tell you, it really puts, say, Vick, into proper perspective.

Thanks again :o

Wildman,

Dynasty league - performance scoring.

We are discussing dealing Julius Jones (RBBC) or Dom Davis (health issues) in deals for Frank Gore and 4th pick overall in the rookie draft.

Which of the above backs would you deal (Dom or Julius) and is it safe to trade a back who can be a horse for a rookie back and Gore, a player who could also be in RBBC?

Lastly, dynasty league - we are considering signing Ben Watson and trading Gonzalez - we cannot keep both and Gonzo is expensive - gutsy call or should be OK?

Wildman,

Dynasty league - performance scoring.

We are discussing dealing Julius Jones (RBBC) or Dom Davis (health issues) in deals for Frank Gore and 4th pick overall in the rookie draft.

Which of the above backs would you deal (Dom or Julius) and is it safe to trade a back who can be a horse for a rookie back and Gore, a player who could also be in RBBC?

Lastly, dynasty league - we are considering signing Ben Watson and trading Gonzalez - we cannot keep both and Gonzo is expensive - gutsy call or should be OK?

I'd deal DD because of his swelling knee. If he's still having these issues in August, that's a bad sign. You know I like Gore's potential. I think he's a good gamble. If you can get Lendale White, Maroney, or Addai I'd probably be happy. Jones/Gore might be pretty good based on what you have available to you.

As for the TE's...see the projections thread (I answered it)...based on pricing, I'd probably say getting Watson isn't a bad idea at all. Of course, I'm thinking more risk-oriented than some...good luck!

just wondering if you could help me find some mock or actual dynasty draft info just starting one. If not where do u think this years crop of running backs should go

thanks

Keeper Question. Tatum Bell or Domanick Davis?

12 team keeper league. We keep 2 players, and my first keeper is Tiki.

We start 1 QB, 2 RBS, 3 WRs, 1 flex RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 DEF, 1 K. so I want to keep a RB for the second player.

Scoring is 1 point per 10 yards rushing and 1 point for 20 yards recieving, 6 for a TD, and 1 point per reception.

The reception points lead me to keep Davis, but his knee worries me and I am expecting big things from Bell with Anderson in that team stealing city that shall remain nameless.

I have the second pick in the draft, so I could always just redraft whichever one I don't keep if there isnt anyone better availabe, but there are a few questionable owners in this league....so I'm hoping someone slips through the cracks. Who would you keep?

The only other keeper option I have is Tony Gonzo....but I'd rather keep a RB considering we start 3.

just wondering if you could help me find some mock or actual dynasty draft info just starting one. If not where do u think this years crop of running backs should go

thanks

Look at the main page for my Impact Rookie RB article or click on my signature link for info on the Rookie Scouting Portfolio.

Antsports or XpertLeagues.com tracks average draft position, but these are for re-draft leagues only. Still you'll see where the rookies are going there. If you are just starting a dynasty league, you should expect to see somewhat similar draft position for rookies as in re-drafts (maybe a bit higher for rookies becuase folks get too enthusiastic about the long term approach to dynasty leagues).

Hope that helps.

Keeper Question. Tatum Bell or Domanick Davis?

12 team keeper league. We keep 2 players, and my first keeper is Tiki.

We start 1 QB, 2 RBS, 3 WRs, 1 flex RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 DEF, 1 K. so I want to keep a RB for the second player.

Scoring is 1 point per 10 yards rushing and 1 point for 20 yards recieving, 6 for a TD, and 1 point per reception.

The reception points lead me to keep Davis, but his knee worries me and I am expecting big things from Bell with Anderson in that team stealing city that shall remain nameless.

I have the second pick in the draft, so I could always just redraft whichever one I don't keep if there isnt anyone better availabe, but there are a few questionable owners in this league....so I'm hoping someone slips through the cracks. Who would you keep?

The only other keeper option I have is Tony Gonzo....but I'd rather keep a RB considering we start 3.

Since you start three, I can see keeping Bell or Davis in this case although the two you have are shaky options this year. I think Bell is the safer option, but I just have a tough time believing he'll be any better than a #3 RB this year. I think he'll split time with Dayne or one other back, at best. Davis would make a find #2 RB if healthy but as you mentioned, his knee is worrisome.

I think of the situation this way: Davis' value should continue to go down if his knee is still troubling him. In that case, why keep him when you can draft him at a later round as a #3 or #4 RB to your roster. That's a smarter investment because you aren't counting on him as a starter. Making Bell a keeper is a little tougher for me to cope with, but I'm not sure you'll get a better #3 RB if you don't keep him. Still, I don't think that player will be significantly worse. Gonzo is a certified top 5 TE, I'm just not sure he's still a bonafide top 2 TE. Plus, the receiving yardage actually favors you take an RB despite the PPR. So if you don't want to gamble, settle on Bell and hope for the best. If you like high-risk, roll the dice on Davis.

Matt, first and foremost, big fan of the WGC and your developing Crank System....keep up the good work!

This is our league's first stab at the keeper format. Here is the league info and my team:

10 Teams / Head to head / Pts Based

1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 K / 1 Def

All Td's = 6 / 10 yd Ru & Rec =1 / 25 yd Pa = 1 / Int = -2

Last year I pretty much "sold the farm" in a successful run to the playoffs where I lost in the first round (but still in the money....). This has put me in the 7th draft slot in a non-snake draft with pretty weak keeper options since my main workhorse Mike Anderson is now a back-up in Balto. I either have to keep two of the following players:

Marc Bulger

Julius Jones

Warrick Dunn

Cedric Benson

:wall:

Or I can offer up draft picks for one of two stud RB's that are currently up for grabs:

Lamont Jordan

Clinton Portis

My first question.......the way I am seeing it, I will be selecting my keepers from 4 players who do not even crack my Top 20 overall.....should I be doing whatever it takes to get at least 1 player in the top 20 so that my keeper has appropriate value (i.e. trading draft picks)? Or should I take my best stab at 2 useful crank (adj.!) players (like say Bulger & Dunn) and consider it dead money? I also wondered if leaving a guy like Julius Jones (high ADP, low production) out there as "bait" might facilitate a more valuable player dropping to me?

My second question.....being that I have limited keeper options combined with a later draft position....does the non-snake draft hurt me or help me overall? I can't seem to wrap my head around this one.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Matt, first and foremost, big fan of the WGC and your developing Crank System....keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot, very nice to hear.

This is our league's first stab at the keeper format. Here is the league info and my team:

10 Teams / Head to head / Pts Based

1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 K / 1 Def

All Td's = 6 / 10 yd Ru & Rec =1 / 25 yd Pa = 1 / Int = -2

Last year I pretty much "sold the farm" in a successful run to the playoffs where I lost in the first round (but still in the money....). This has put me in the 7th draft slot in a non-snake draft with pretty weak keeper options since my main workhorse Mike Anderson is now a back-up in Balto. I either have to keep two of the following players:

Marc BulgerIf you keep 2, he's one of them

Julius Jones

Warrick Dunn

Cedric BensonIf you have time, I'd wait as long as you can to see if you should keep him

:dunno:

Or I can offer up draft picks for one of two stud RB's that are currently up for grabs:

Lamont Jordan

Clinton PortisIf you know you can get Portis, I'd offer up the picks as the first plan of attack.

My first question.......the way I am seeing it, I will be selecting my keepers from 4 players who do not even crack my Top 20 overall.....should I be doing whatever it takes to get at least 1 player in the top 20 so that my keeper has appropriate value (i.e. trading draft picks)? Or should I take my best stab at 2 useful crank (adj.!) players (like say Bulger & Dunn) and consider it dead money? I also wondered if leaving a guy like Julius Jones (high ADP, low production) out there as "bait" might facilitate a more valuable player dropping to me? It might help you land a player in rounds 2-3, but hard to tell

My second question.....being that I have limited keeper options combined with a later draft position....does the non-snake draft hurt me or help me overall? I can't seem to wrap my head around this one.I think the non-snake draft makes it more difficult for you because you don't get that shorter wait from 7-10 and 10-7 in a snake draft. Since you can only keep two players, I think I'd rather have Portis than Bulger and the other options. Can you keep one and trade for Portis?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Background

I play in a full keeper/dynasty fantasy football league. Our rosters are 30 players (full keeper) and 2 Team D/ST (yearly draft).

Our starting line-up is as follows:

1 - QB

2 - RB

2 - WR

1 - TE

1 - K

3 - OFLEX (RB, WR or TE) - I prefer to play three more RBs

1 - DL

1 - LB

1 - DB

3 - DFLEX (DL, LB or DB - with strategy adjustment where more DL take away opponent's RB points but add the same percentage to WR and vice versa with more DB) - I prefer to play three more LBs

1 - Team D/ST

Standard scoring - 15 yds rushing/receiving = 1 FP and TD = 6 FP

My team has the following players:

QB - Palmer, Culpepper, Hasselbeck

RB - LT, Edge, D. Davis, Cadillac

WR - Fitzgerald, TO, D. Jackson, Andre Johnson, D. Bennett, T. Williamson

TE - Gonzo, Winslow

The remaining players not pertinent to this question.

We only draft rookies and the rookie RBs get taken in the first round as the draft is only 18 picks total (first round is 8th place team through 4th, second round is 8th through 3rd, and third round is 8th through 2nd - league champion does not get a pick).

Prior to the draft, I traded Marvin Harrison, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Willie Parker for Larry Fitzgerald, the #2, #5 and #10 overall picks in the rookie draft. Getting younger at my #1 WR and getting Fitz was very important for my long term outlook and I would rather take my chances on two new rookie RBs than having to deal with another disappointing fantasy season out of the Jones boys.

And by the way, I also have the #1 overall pick in this year’s draft, from another trade, and of course, I will be selecting Reggie Bush.

Question

How would you rank the incoming rookie RB class in terms of long-term fantasy potential? Most of the rankings that I have read are for first year impact and I am reading arguments for each of the other four (D. Williams, L. Maroney, L. White & J. Addai) as the RB to follow Bush as the second best keeper prospect.

Research

Based on the keeper rankings on ESPN, they rank the rookies in the following order (overall keeper ranking in parenthesis): Bush (15), Addai (34), Williams (35), Maroney (36), and White (76).

ESPN rated the rookies based on this grading key (1 - Immediate impact player who should start in fantasy leagues in his first NFL season, 2 - Should play well enough to become a standout early in his career. Top keeper and dynasty league prospect, and 3 - Might post quality numbers in his first pro season if he gets the opportunity. Very promising in keeper and dynasty leagues) in the following order:

1) Reggie Bush, RB, Saints (1): Will make a fine early third-round pick in keeper leagues. His receiving skills could be the best we have ever seen from a running back in a long time, and will make him an instant fantasy star even if he shares some playing time with Deuce McAllister.

2) DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers (2): He'll finally stabilize Carolina's running game. Great vision and natural instincts. Could be a terrific value in the fourth round of yearly leagues.

3) Joseph Addai, RB, Colts (2): A versatile performer who should quickly become a valuable part of an explosive offense. Addai could become a very dependable and sometimes outstanding fantasy starter very early in his pro career.

4) Laurence Maroney, RB. Patriots (3): Will operate as a relief option for Corey Dillon initially, but could impress if Dillon gets hurt. By his third year, he could be ready to shine as a fantasy starter.

5) LenDale White, RB, Titans (3): Could get pressed into needed service as a rookie and has sleeper potential. Eventually, he could be a super source of TD production.

Based on the keeper rankings on Sporting News, they rank the rookies in the following order: Bush (15), Addai (28 ), Maroney (38 ), Williams (48 ), and White (unranked).

Scott Engel from ESPN has the rookie RBs ranked for dynasty league purposes as Bush, Addai, Williams, White, and Maroney.

Jeremy Green from ESPN has them ranked as Bush, Addai, Williams, Maroney, and White.

Scott Wright from NFL Draft Countdown has the following opinions:

1) Bush #1 and White #5, who could bust out this year but who also could be a major bust as well. It gets real tricky with the next group at 2-4, and in terms of impact this year I'd put them Addai, Williams and Maroney. However if you are thinking about 2007 or even 2008 I think I might put Maroney #2 and then have Williams and Addai as a toss-up. I'm just not a fan of Addai because he wasn't overly productive in college, battled injuries and only went as high as he did because of great workouts. Obviously he's in a tremendous situation though (i.e. Colts high octane offense). With Maroney, two great talent evaluators, Mike Shanahan and Bill Belichick, both love the guy so I think that carries a lot of weight. I'm actually is somewhat of a similar situation and trying to decide if I should take Maroney and stash him for a year even though it might hurt me in the short-run.

2) In response to my higher ranking for Williams, I do like DeAngelo Williams better and had him rated higher as a prospect but I'm not sure as to how well he'll fit in the Panthers style of offense. Not if you're in a yardage league it probably won't be much of a concern but if touchdowns are weighted heavily Williams isn't going to get much of that action for Carolina. I don't think Williams will get the goalline carries and he isn't the type of running back they have traditionally had in that offense. Basically from a fantasy standpoint I think situation is almost as big of a factor as talent and while I think Williams is the superior player Maroney is has a better set of circumstances.

3) If you want immediate impact then Addai if probably your guy, but if you're willing to wait for the big payoff I think Maroney is the way to go. DeAngelo Williams probably falls right in between.

My Analysis

First, ranking the rookie RBs one through five, I think it is a given that Bush is #1 and fair to place White as the #5.

As I am already taking Bush at #1, my dilemma is who to take at #2. More on the #5 later.

For Williams, the pluses are that many consider him to be the second best rookie RB behind Bush. Engel compares him to Terrell Davis. The minuses are that he got injured in college, although he came back strong and he logged a lot of carries in college. The one minus that sticks in my mind is what I have read about the situation in Carolina. Coach Fox and the Offensive Coordinator favor veterans, i.e. Foster, and Carolina gave Foster a huge contract to keep him. Now, we all know Foster cannot stay healthy for an entire season, but some say that if Foster got injured and returned, then Carolina would play Foster again just like Carolina played Stephen Davis when he returned to the line-up. So will that be a consistent problem for the long-term outlook for Williams? Will Williams have to contend with Foster in the starting line-up each season? What about the fit of Williams in the Carolina system like Scott Wright said?

For Addai, the pluses are that he went to the Colts and their high-powered offense; he is already picking it up well; and he should beat out Rhodes and be the starting RB, although a RB by committee situation is possible there. The minuses are that he was not the Colts first choice and he was not the college superstar that the other rookie RBs were and might just be a combine workout warrior.

For Maroney, the pluses are that he was a college superstar like Williams; he was the RB the Colts wanted; he was rated the best back by Mike Shanahan and Bill Belichick, and he was taken by the Patriots and will be replacing Dillon soon. The minuses are that he is not as good a back as Williams and he is not in the high octane offense like Addai is.

My initial feeling was to take Addai at #2, but his one year wonder at LSU and his combine status have me concerned.

So for me, the question is do I take Williams or Maroney at #2 overall?

I think looking at my dynasty league’s rookie draft, I think it will go like this:

1) Bush - obviously, I am taking him first.

2) Williams or Maroney (or Addai) – I am leaning towards Maroney at the moment.

3) Williams

4) Addai – I would love for the team picking at #3 and #4 to take White so either Williams or Addai would fall to me at #5, but I don’t see that happening.

5) White

Second Question – Next Year

I have the opportunity to trade out of the #5 overall this year, which would be White. In return, I would better my chances for getting the #2 overall pick next year. By a prior trade made almost four years ago, I am almost certain to get the #1 overall pick next year, which will be Adrian Peterson. The team to whom I would trade the #5 should finish at the bottom of our league, which would give me the #2 overall pick next year, which will be Michael Bush.

So looking forward to next year, would you trade out of the #5 overall rookie RB this year (which looks like it will be White - assuming a drop off in long-term value as compared to the other rookie RBs above #5) to solidify your chances to take the top two rookie RBs next year, being Adrian Peterson and Michael Bush, who are even better than this year's class, besides maybe Bush?

Thanks

Wildman, I want to thank you all so very much for reading my entire topic and providing me with your advice. I really do appreciate your insight. My draft is only one week away so this is very important to me. Thanks again.

Background

I play in a full keeper/dynasty fantasy football league. Our rosters are 30 players (full keeper) and 2 Team D/ST (yearly draft).

Our starting line-up is as follows:

1 - QB

2 - RB

2 - WR

1 - TE

1 - K

3 - OFLEX (RB, WR or TE) - I prefer to play three more RBs

1 - DL

1 - LB

1 - DB

3 - DFLEX (DL, LB or DB - with strategy adjustment where more DL take away opponent's RB points but add the same percentage to WR and vice versa with more DB) - I prefer to play three more LBs

1 - Team D/ST

Standard scoring - 15 yds rushing/receiving = 1 FP and TD = 6 FP

My team has the following players:

QB - Palmer, Culpepper, Hasselbeck

RB - LT, Edge, D. Davis, Cadillac

WR - Fitzgerald, TO, D. Jackson, Andre Johnson, D. Bennett, T. Williamson

TE - Gonzo, Winslow

The remaining players not pertinent to this question.

We only draft rookies and the rookie RBs get taken in the first round as the draft is only 18 picks total (first round is 8th place team through 4th, second round is 8th through 3rd, and third round is 8th through 2nd - league champion does not get a pick).

Prior to the draft, I traded Marvin Harrison, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Willie Parker for Larry Fitzgerald, the #2, #5 and #10 overall picks in the rookie draft. Getting younger at my #1 WR and getting Fitz was very important for my long term outlook and I would rather take my chances on two new rookie RBs than having to deal with another disappointing fantasy season out of the Jones boys.

And by the way, I also have the #1 overall pick in this year’s draft, from another trade, and of course, I will be selecting Reggie Bush.

Question

How would you rank the incoming rookie RB class in terms of long-term fantasy potential? Most of the rankings that I have read are for first year impact and I am reading arguments for each of the other four (D. Williams, L. Maroney, L. White & J. Addai) as the RB to follow Bush as the second best keeper prospect.

Research

Based on the keeper rankings on ESPN, they rank the rookies in the following order (overall keeper ranking in parenthesis): Bush (15), Addai (34), Williams (35), Maroney (36), and White (76).

ESPN rated the rookies based on this grading key (1 - Immediate impact player who should start in fantasy leagues in his first NFL season, 2 - Should play well enough to become a standout early in his career. Top keeper and dynasty league prospect, and 3 - Might post quality numbers in his first pro season if he gets the opportunity. Very promising in keeper and dynasty leagues) in the following order:

1) Reggie Bush, RB, Saints (1): Will make a fine early third-round pick in keeper leagues. His receiving skills could be the best we have ever seen from a running back in a long time, and will make him an instant fantasy star even if he shares some playing time with Deuce McAllister.

2) DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers (2): He'll finally stabilize Carolina's running game. Great vision and natural instincts. Could be a terrific value in the fourth round of yearly leagues.

3) Joseph Addai, RB, Colts (2): A versatile performer who should quickly become a valuable part of an explosive offense. Addai could become a very dependable and sometimes outstanding fantasy starter very early in his pro career.

4) Laurence Maroney, RB. Patriots (3): Will operate as a relief option for Corey Dillon initially, but could impress if Dillon gets hurt. By his third year, he could be ready to shine as a fantasy starter.

5) LenDale White, RB, Titans (3): Could get pressed into needed service as a rookie and has sleeper potential. Eventually, he could be a super source of TD production.

Based on the keeper rankings on Sporting News, they rank the rookies in the following order: Bush (15), Addai (28 ), Maroney (38 ), Williams (48 ), and White (unranked).

Scott Engel from ESPN has the rookie RBs ranked for dynasty league purposes as Bush, Addai, Williams, White, and Maroney.

Jeremy Green from ESPN has them ranked as Bush, Addai, Williams, Maroney, and White.

Scott Wright from NFL Draft Countdown has the following opinions:

1) Bush #1 and White #5, who could bust out this year but who also could be a major bust as well. It gets real tricky with the next group at 2-4, and in terms of impact this year I'd put them Addai, Williams and Maroney. However if you are thinking about 2007 or even 2008 I think I might put Maroney #2 and then have Williams and Addai as a toss-up. I'm just not a fan of Addai because he wasn't overly productive in college, battled injuries and only went as high as he did because of great workouts. Obviously he's in a tremendous situation though (i.e. Colts high octane offense). With Maroney, two great talent evaluators, Mike Shanahan and Bill Belichick, both love the guy so I think that carries a lot of weight. I'm actually is somewhat of a similar situation and trying to decide if I should take Maroney and stash him for a year even though it might hurt me in the short-run.

2) In response to my higher ranking for Williams, I do like DeAngelo Williams better and had him rated higher as a prospect but I'm not sure as to how well he'll fit in the Panthers style of offense. Not if you're in a yardage league it probably won't be much of a concern but if touchdowns are weighted heavily Williams isn't going to get much of that action for Carolina. I don't think Williams will get the goalline carries and he isn't the type of running back they have traditionally had in that offense. Basically from a fantasy standpoint I think situation is almost as big of a factor as talent and while I think Williams is the superior player Maroney is has a better set of circumstances.

3) If you want immediate impact then Addai if probably your guy, but if you're willing to wait for the big payoff I think Maroney is the way to go. DeAngelo Williams probably falls right in between.

My Analysis

First, ranking the rookie RBs one through five, I think it is a given that Bush is #1 and fair to place White as the #5.

As I am already taking Bush at #1, my dilemma is who to take at #2. More on the #5 later.

For Williams, the pluses are that many consider him to be the second best rookie RB behind Bush. Engel compares him to Terrell Davis. The minuses are that he got injured in college, although he came back strong and he logged a lot of carries in college. The one minus that sticks in my mind is what I have read about the situation in Carolina. Coach Fox and the Offensive Coordinator favor veterans, i.e. Foster, and Carolina gave Foster a huge contract to keep him. Now, we all know Foster cannot stay healthy for an entire season, but some say that if Foster got injured and returned, then Carolina would play Foster again just like Carolina played Stephen Davis when he returned to the line-up. So will that be a consistent problem for the long-term outlook for Williams? Will Williams have to contend with Foster in the starting line-up each season? What about the fit of Williams in the Carolina system like Scott Wright said?

For Addai, the pluses are that he went to the Colts and their high-powered offense; he is already picking it up well; and he should beat out Rhodes and be the starting RB, although a RB by committee situation is possible there. The minuses are that he was not the Colts first choice and he was not the college superstar that the other rookie RBs were and might just be a combine workout warrior.

For Maroney, the pluses are that he was a college superstar like Williams; he was the RB the Colts wanted; he was rated the best back by Mike Shanahan and Bill Belichick, and he was taken by the Patriots and will be replacing Dillon soon. The minuses are that he is not as good a back as Williams and he is not in the high octane offense like Addai is.

My initial feeling was to take Addai at #2, but his one year wonder at LSU and his combine status have me concerned.

So for me, the question is do I take Williams or Maroney at #2 overall?

I think looking at my dynasty league’s rookie draft, I think it will go like this:

1) Bush - obviously, I am taking him first.

2) Williams or Maroney (or Addai) – I am leaning towards Maroney at the moment.

3) Williams

4) Addai – I would love for the team picking at #3 and #4 to take White so either Williams or Addai would fall to me at #5, but I don’t see that happening.

5) White

Second Question – Next Year

I have the opportunity to trade out of the #5 overall this year, which would be White. In return, I would better my chances for getting the #2 overall pick next year. By a prior trade made almost four years ago, I am almost certain to get the #1 overall pick next year, which will be Adrian Peterson. The team to whom I would trade the #5 should finish at the bottom of our league, which would give me the #2 overall pick next year, which will be Michael Bush.

So looking forward to next year, would you trade out of the #5 overall rookie RB this year (which looks like it will be White - assuming a drop off in long-term value as compared to the other rookie RBs above #5) to solidify your chances to take the top two rookie RBs next year, being Adrian Peterson and Michael Bush, who are even better than this year's class, besides maybe Bush?

Thanks

Wildman, I want to thank you all so very much for reading my entire topic and providing me with your advice. I really do appreciate your insight. My draft is only one week away so this is very important to me. Thanks again.

I might disappoint you with my answer since this was such a long question, but considering I spent 8 months and 40+ hours a week on what I'm going to refer to you, I think it's fair. If you want to know what I think are long term successes at the position, buy my 2006 Rookie Scouting Portfolio (see the link in my signature). Some things you just don't give away for free...

12 team dynasty.

start 3 RBs.....

RBs are at a premium in this league,

and we have to pay a premium price to get them.

I own Westbrook and have been offered

Ryan Moats for Troy Williamson and Mike Williams.

My current WRs, S.Moss, TJ Housh, D.Bennett, Reggie Brown, TWilliamson, Cotchery, M.Williams.

Do I grab Moats in this RB heavy league ?

thanks, I know it's not Wednesday.

please help! i haev to decide in a day!!

3 player keeper league. QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1WR/RB slot, TE, Kicker, Defense

NO PPR

10 yds rushing/receiving = 1 pt

TD = 6 pt

Here's my keepers current

Gates, Steve Smith, Portis.

Optional keeper (if i do a 2 for 1) = Chambers

Trade 1: Team B wants Steve Smith and Gates, and my #37 pick for Julius Jones, his #6 overall pick (4th round essentially)

My keepers would then be: Portis, Julius Jones, and Chris Chambers (he's on my team and would now be my 3rd keeper)

my draft picks would be #6, 12,13,25.

I would most likely draft a Kevin Jones/Drougns caliber back at #6 unless a Boldin falls to me.

At 12 and 13 i'd probably take some Rookie RBs and grab another Wideout at #25.

Trade 2: Team B wants Steve Smith and Chris Chambers for Domanick Davis and his #23 pick

My keepers now would be: Portis, DDavis, and Gates

Id now draft #12,13,23,25. I'd probably go after a rookie RB and a WR in picks 12-13 and probably do the same thing in picks 23/25 unless there are 2 strong WRs left

what do u think is better..

please let me know if u think i need more information.

please let me know which trade u like better...i only have a day to really decide which way to go. i like the mboth honesty but if you prefer 1 RB extremely more than the other or see value in 1 trade, please let me know.

you answer everyone else's questions, but you ask me for $?

i thought the whole purpose of the forum is for fantasy players to share advice with one another not a commercial enterprise.

you answer everyone else's questions, but you ask me for $?

i thought the whole purpose of the forum is for fantasy players to share advice with one another not a commercial enterprise.

Gator-Raiders...first I have to apologize a bit. I needed to re-read your question(s) a few times. I don't know what I was reading, but I came away with the incorrect impression of your question. I thought you wanted me to give you a rundown of a ranking of who I thought was the best long term prospects at each position with a ranking. Dont' know why I saw this, but I got the wrong idea. So my response was predicated on you asking me to basically give you free information for something other people are buying...While I'm glad to give advice and my view of most everything, I'm not going to say everything I think about 120 rookies I scouted for 40 hours a week as I tried to balance a full time job and family life so I could just give it away for free.

Rereading your question, first I offer an apology and second, some answers to your question:

Long term my opinion on some RBs--I think you're trying too hard to analyze the long term potential of players. Why? peopel take too long term an approach on dynasty leagues anyhow. I'll give you my top 5 and then some guys to look out for (not name Mike Bell--LOL, I think there's enough about him now):

1. Bush--Don't overanalyze on him. He's the best RB to enter the league in a decade. I've given my reasons over and over again around here but once again, he's a fine inside runner and has truly rare ability in terms of vision, cutting, and receiving.

2. DeAngelo Williams--I think he's like Tony Dorsett. He'll eventually be the every down starter. Great vision, moves, and deceptive power.

3. Addai--I think he's better than advertised and will prove it by year's end. Very smart player and produces in the clutch. Excellent quickness.

4. Maroney--probably more talented than the two above him not named Reggie Bush but he's not the tough inside runner on a consistent basis one should expect. I'd take Williams over Maroney any day, but I might pick Maroney over Addai on any given day.

5. White--Not as high on him, but he should get a great opportunity to be a redzone threat and 20 carry per game back in the near future. Health and attitude will be the concerns. He was complacent at USC which to me was a bit of a sign of immaturity and it did impact his ability to make big plays (though with a dominant college squad it wasn't as apparent)

Watch out for: Jerome Harrison (reminds me of Priest Holmes in terms of style, we'll see if he has the heart and talent), Wali Lundy (good downhill runner that was a much higher ranked prospect entering his senior year than exiting it--he wasn't a good fit for his offense), Norwood, Daniels, and Jones-Drew (all three should get a chance. I like Drew a lot, but I see at best, Warrick Dunn production. Daniels I think could be like a Stephen Davis-Mike Anderson style player. Norwood? I'd take him over all the people I mentioned to watch out for...

I'd take Williams first overall. I just think he would have been my clearcut number 1 RB in this class if not for Bush.

As for trading out. So much depends on the level of improvement for M. Bush, injuries/health, and where these guys wind up. I love A. Peterson's game--he's as wild of a runner I saw. I practically forced Mike MacGregor to watch the OU-Oregon game at the INsight Bowl just to see Peterson's second half. He was like a force of nature. I think White has a great shot to be the featured back in a strong RB draft class. I'm not in love with the guy's attitude as I mentioned, but unless you know you will land Peterson, I would much rather have White than Michael Bush at this point. Bush still has to learn to run behind his pads. White doesn't have that problem when he's focused. Bush also lacks the quality of vision you see from White.

Hope that helps and sorry, you caught me at the wrong moment today. I'll email to make sure you see this...

12 team dynasty.

start 3 RBs.....

RBs are at a premium in this league,

and we have to pay a premium price to get them.

I own Westbrook and have been offered

Ryan Moats for Troy Williamson and Mike Williams.

My current WRs, S.Moss, TJ Housh, D.Bennett, Reggie Brown, TWilliamson, Cotchery, M.Williams.

Do I grab Moats in this RB heavy league ?

thanks, I know it's not Wednesday.

I do it, Ron--you get the talented insurance policy for one reciever that at best, will be the #2 to Koren Robinson in a run-based offense (plus he has difficulties catching the ball) and the second receiver hasn't shown the work ethic to be the top player he was projected to be (disappointing). I think Moss, Hous, and Brown will do you just fine. Plus Bennett shoudl have a bounce back year if he stays healthy.

I never answer on Wednesday anyhow...just a little every day as I can :dunno:

please help! i haev to decide in a day!!

3 player keeper league. QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1WR/RB slot, TE, Kicker, Defense

NO PPR

10 yds rushing/receiving = 1 pt

TD = 6 pt

Here's my keepers current

Gates, Steve Smith, Portis.

Optional keeper (if i do a 2 for 1) = Chambers

Trade 1: Team B wants Steve Smith and Gates, and my #37 pick for Julius Jones, his #6 overall pick (4th round essentially)

My keepers would then be: Portis, Julius Jones, and Chris Chambers (he's on my team and would now be my 3rd keeper)

my draft picks would be #6, 12,13,25.

I would most likely draft a Kevin Jones/Drougns caliber back at #6 unless a Boldin falls to me.

At 12 and 13 i'd probably take some Rookie RBs and grab another Wideout at #25.

Trade 2: Team B wants Steve Smith and Chris Chambers for Domanick Davis and his #23 pick

My keepers now would be: Portis, DDavis, and Gates

Id now draft #12,13,23,25. I'd probably go after a rookie RB and a WR in picks 12-13 and probably do the same thing in picks 23/25 unless there are 2 strong WRs left

what do u think is better..

please let me know if u think i need more information.

please let me know which trade u like better...i only have a day to really decide which way to go. i like the mboth honesty but if you prefer 1 RB extremely more than the other or see value in 1 trade, please let me know.

I'd prefer not to make either trade. I like Gates, Smith, and Portis. I don't like DDavis--knee issues. I dont like J Jones as much as keeping Smith (M BarberIII cutting into his time, maybe? Staying healthy?). You have a top player at those three positions if you keep those guys. I don't think you get much better if you try to go two RBs with the options you mentioned. If you just have to give away Smith, I'd do the first option and take my chances with KJ, JJ, and Portis...

hey wildman....who do you think is the better choice as a keeper....lamont jordan or the Caddy? we do NOT get PPR and it's a 12-team league (im drafting 6th) also who do you see me getting at 6th....i'm looking at a top WR i believe!

thanks,

stinkybuds

hey wildman....who do you think is the better choice as a keeper....lamont jordan or the Caddy? we do NOT get PPR and it's a 12-team league (im drafting 6th) also who do you see me getting at 6th....i'm looking at a top WR i believe!

thanks,

stinkybuds

Caddy vs. Jordan?

I think both have good coaches, but the Bucs are further along as a team. Still, Jordan is a 3-down back, and Caddy is still struggling to attain that privilege. I think they are pretty even, but I give Caddy the nod because I think he'll get more opportunities to carry the ball due to the Bucs defense. Oakland will be better, but I believe they'll still struggle with consistency this year. I was a huge fan of Jordan's when he was at Maryland and thought he'd be a star. I really have no idea who you would get at 6th, since I don't know who is being kept or available, but I'd guess you're right about your thoughts on the WR since most teams would keep RBs in this situation if the scoring is pretty standard.

Caddy vs. Jordan?

I think both have good coaches, but the Bucs are further along as a team. Still, Jordan is a 3-down back, and Caddy is still struggling to attain that privilege. I think they are pretty even, but I give Caddy the nod because I think he'll get more opportunities to carry the ball due to the Bucs defense. Oakland will be better, but I believe they'll still struggle with consistency this year. I was a huge fan of Jordan's when he was at Maryland and thought he'd be a star. I really have no idea who you would get at 6th, since I don't know who is being kept or available, but I'd guess you're right about your thoughts on the WR since most teams would keep RBs in this situation if the scoring is pretty standard.

thank you

Last night I was offered Mike Bell for Crumpler. All summer I have been trying to get Cooley from this owner with no luck. This was the first time he made an offer to me all summer. Should I accept this deal or hold out for Cooley or keep Bell.

My backs: Jordan, Jlewis, Maroney, DWilliams, GJOnes

My Te: Troupe

Last night I was offered Mike Bell for Crumpler. All summer I have been trying to get Cooley from this owner with no luck. This was the first time he made an offer to me all summer. Should I accept this deal or hold out for Cooley or keep Bell.

My backs: Jordan, Jlewis, Maroney, DWilliams, GJOnes

My Te: Troupe

Not sure what he's getting or you are getting. Can you clarify whether you are getting Bell or getting Crumpler?

Sorry, I will be receiving Alge in the trade. He gets Bell.

Crumpler has always been a very good option, but do you want to give up a potential starting RB when you have a guy like Ben Troupe that should be at top 10 TE?

I can see you doing it because of your relatively promising depth at the RB position. Still, I don't see Crumpler becoming a dominant TE--merely a top 5-6 TE--but based on what I saw from Bell on film he has the talent to be a starter one day. Will it be this year? I think that's hard to believe despite the starting nod the other day.

Here's how I look at it:

If you believe Maroney or Williams will likely (very likely) be your #2 RB to Jordan, then Bell is likely your 3rd or 4th back on the depth chart. This alone makes him a good player to trade for a quality starting TE. But if you believe you could have a potential stud in Bell, then you hold onto him and demand higher quality when it pans out--that's of course a much bigger risk. You have much less risk getting a quality starting TE for an unproven, undrafted rookie RB.

If it's me with your roster, I'd probably do it.

Thanks Wildman. Here is something else I have been thinking about lately.

The idea of handcuffing has been discussed many times over. For those owners who have their studs in great situations need to have insurance in case of injury. I am sure the quality of the handcuff is something to take into account. Perfect example last year Priest and LJ. This concept comes into question when the back is in a RBBC.

My situation is dealing with Deangelo Williams. I drafted him in the rookie draft of a dynasty. I do not have Deshaun Foster. Is Carolina going to ride one back or is it a rbbc? Is Williams the soon-to-be successor?

My ultimate question is should I make a play to acquire Foster? My rb roster is as posted earlier. (Jordan, JLewis, GJones, Maroney, Williams, MBell, Betts)

I am thinking of trading JLewis in a package to acquire Foster. The Foster owner has Mike Anderson. I hesitate because I am not sure how Foster and Williams will be used this year. If it is rbbc, then they split the points. I would be losing a clear cut starter in Lewis.

Do I make an offer for Foster? Or stand pat.

Thanks again.

WM,

I am in a dynasty league

12 teams, start 3 RBs.

RBs are gold in this league.

My roster.....

Brady, Tom NEP QB

Frye, Charlie CLE QB

Palmer, Carson CIN QB

Fargas, Justin OAK RB

Foster, De'shaun CAR RB

Houston, Cedric NYJ RB

Lundy, Wali HOU RB

McGahee, Willis BUF RB

Moats, Ryan PHI RB

Morris, Maurice SEA RB

Shelton, Eric CAR RB

Toefield, Labrandon JAC RB

Westbrook, Brian PHI RB

Bennett, Drew TEN WR

Brown, Reggie PHI WR

Burleson, Nate SEA WR

Cotchery, Jerricho NYJ WR

Houshmandzadeh, T.J. CIN WR

Moss, Santana WAS WR

Watts, Darius DEN WR

Scheffler, Tony DEN TE

Witten, Jason DAL TE

------------------------------------

his roster

Brooks, Aaron OAK QB

Carr, David HOU QB

Young, Vince TEN QB

Brown, Chris TEN RB

Droughns, Reuben CLE RB

Harrison, Jerome CLE RB

Suggs, Lee CLE RB

Taylor, Fred JAC RB

Washington, Leon NYJ RB

Boldin, Anquan ARI WR

Jackson, Chad NEP WR

Jones, Matt JAC WR

Lloyd, Brandon WAS WR

Parker, Samie KCC WR

Rogers, Charles DET WR

Smith, Brad NYJ WR

Thorpe, Craphonso KCC WR

Walker, Javon DEN WR

Davis, Vernon SFO TE

Miller, Heath PIT TE

-----------------------------------------

We want to get Suggs, Leon and Houston on the same team.

If I were to deal Cedric Houston, who should I ask for in return ?

Or should I attemp to acquire Leon and Suggs.

Future draft picks are also tradeable.

thanks, WM. you da man.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Wildman. Here is something else I have been thinking about lately.

The idea of handcuffing has been discussed many times over. For those owners who have their studs in great situations need to have insurance in case of injury. I am sure the quality of the handcuff is something to take into account. Perfect example last year Priest and LJ. This concept comes into question when the back is in a RBBC.

My situation is dealing with Deangelo Williams. I drafted him in the rookie draft of a dynasty. I do not have Deshaun Foster. Is Carolina going to ride one back or is it a rbbc? Is Williams the soon-to-be successor?

My ultimate question is should I make a play to acquire Foster? My rb roster is as posted earlier. (Jordan, JLewis, GJones, Maroney, Williams, MBell, Betts)

I am thinking of trading JLewis in a package to acquire Foster. The Foster owner has Mike Anderson. I hesitate because I am not sure how Foster and Williams will be used this year. If it is rbbc, then they split the points. I would be losing a clear cut starter in Lewis.

Do I make an offer for Foster? Or stand pat.

Thanks again.

I'd stay pat. I like Foster to be the starter and Williams to be the change of pace back but Foster will need a monster year (or Williams to get hurt) to remain the starter in Carolina in 2007. I think you are pretty good with your backs and depth despite the lack of a handcuff. JMHO...

WM,

I am in a dynasty league

12 teams, start 3 RBs.

RBs are gold in this league.

My roster.....

Brady, Tom NEP QB

Frye, Charlie CLE QB

Palmer, Carson CIN QB

Fargas, Justin OAK RB

Foster, De'shaun CAR RB

Houston, Cedric NYJ RB

Lundy, Wali HOU RB

McGahee, Willis BUF RB

Moats, Ryan PHI RB

Morris, Maurice SEA RB

Shelton, Eric CAR RB

Toefield, Labrandon JAC RB

Westbrook, Brian PHI RB

Bennett, Drew TEN WR

Brown, Reggie PHI WR

Burleson, Nate SEA WR

Cotchery, Jerricho NYJ WR

Houshmandzadeh, T.J. CIN WR

Moss, Santana WAS WR

Watts, Darius DEN WR

Scheffler, Tony DEN TE

Witten, Jason DAL TE

------------------------------------

his roster

Brooks, Aaron OAK QB

Carr, David HOU QB

Young, Vince TEN QB

Brown, Chris TEN RB

Droughns, Reuben CLE RB

Harrison, Jerome CLE RB

Suggs, Lee CLE RB

Taylor, Fred JAC RB

Washington, Leon NYJ RB

Boldin, Anquan ARI WR

Jackson, Chad NEP WR

Jones, Matt JAC WR

Lloyd, Brandon WAS WR

Parker, Samie KCC WR

Rogers, Charles DET WR

Smith, Brad NYJ WR

Thorpe, Craphonso KCC WR

Walker, Javon DEN WR

Davis, Vernon SFO TE

Miller, Heath PIT TE

-----------------------------------------

We want to get Suggs, Leon and Houston on the same team.

If I were to deal Cedric Houston, who should I ask for in return ?

Or should I attemp to acquire Leon and Suggs.

Future draft picks are also tradeable.

thanks, WM. you da man.

:thumbsdown:

I'm not a Leon Washington fan at all. I think he'll be a decent role player at best in the NFL. I'd rather have Houston and Suggs, but that's just me. I'd think about dealing Burleson or Brown and give or take draft picks for Suggs. Or go a bit higher on the draft pick scale. Not sure, kind of have to feel it out this early in the process of evaluating Suggs as a jet...

Thanks for the insight.

The Fullback angle is why I am slightly leaning toward LT. Think about the consensus top three this year; they all ran behind All Pro fullbacks last year. Still doesn't prevent LJ from being very tempting with the first pick...

Thanks for the insight.

The Fullback angle is why I am slightly leaning toward LT. Think about the consensus top three this year; they all ran behind All Pro fullbacks last year. Still doesn't prevent LJ from being very tempting with the first pick...

Trust me...I have the same decision on Saturday. LT's had two, good but not great years. I had him the year before and the guy with the #1 pick last year had him in 2005. I had LJ on two very successful teams last year, so I'm still leaning heavily towards him--especially since he's young and hasn't topped that 370 F-Carry total Tony's article details...but to pass on LT isn't easy

Standard scoring league (Yahoo), 1 QB 2 RB, 3WR. I'm looking for more depth at WR.

Current starters are Hines Ward, Lee Evans, Rod Smith.

On the bench is Brandon Stokley, Corey Bradford, and Bobby Engram

My question is is Deion Branch going to hold out most of the year? Caldwell and Troy Brown are both available to pick up. Sammy Parker is also available.

Should I grab one or more of these guys?

Wildman -

Keeper/dynasty league where we keep 12 each year and start 2 RBs plus flex position. Scoring is TD heavy with tiered yardage bonuses.

My current RBs are: S Alexander, Cadillac, M Moore, Barlow, C Houston

I also have the #1 and #6 rookie picks, so I will draft Bush and then the best available.

My QBs (P Manning, Culpepper, Kitna) and WRs (Fitz, Chambers, A Johnson) are in good shape.

You successfully talked me off the ledge earlier in NOT trading alexander or the #1 pick (to select Bush), so I wanted to throw one more by you.

The team with the #2 pick has shown some interest in the #1, but ultimately won't pay the price to get something done. He is weak at RB and looking to get younger and better. He has Dillon, J Jones, & Duckett.

I was considering offering him Cadillac and the #6 pick for Dillon and his #2 pick, where I then select Maroney. I really like the toughness of the Dillon/Maroney combo and eventually just Maroney. It feels like close value where I am perhaps overpaying to have the NE handcuffs. I could either suggest another swap of picks in a later round just to even things up, or add a WR swap (like Marvin for A Johnson).

I like Caddy too, but it seems like TB has a tough schedule each year, I'm not sure I trust his durability as well as Gruden's use of Caddy (i.e. will he refrain from running him into the ground).

So I guess the question is, which RB set do you like better, and am I getting enough in return?

SA, Caddy, Bush, White/Norwood (whoevery drops), Moore, Barlow, Houston

or

SA, Bush, Dillon, Maroney, Moore, Barlow, Houston

Many Thanks !

Standard scoring league (Yahoo), 1 QB 2 RB, 3WR. I'm looking for more depth at WR.

Current starters are Hines Ward, Lee Evans, Rod Smith.

On the bench is Brandon Stokley, Corey Bradford, and Bobby Engram

My question is is Deion Branch going to hold out most of the year? Caldwell and Troy Brown are both available to pick up. Sammy Parker is also available.

Should I grab one or more of these guys?

I like Sammie Parker for the sheer fact that you are probably looking for depth with upside. Brown's upside is limited and I'm leery of Caldwell to be more than a complementary reciever. I know KC runs a lot, but Parker continues to improve each year and had some fine moments in 2005. I think Branch will get into camp eventually, but that's just my guess (no objective/inside info).

Wildman -

Keeper/dynasty league where we keep 12 each year and start 2 RBs plus flex position. Scoring is TD heavy with tiered yardage bonuses.

My current RBs are: S Alexander, Cadillac, M Moore, Barlow, C Houston

I also have the #1 and #6 rookie picks, so I will draft Bush and then the best available.

My QBs (P Manning, Culpepper, Kitna) and WRs (Fitz, Chambers, A Johnson) are in good shape.

You successfully talked me off the ledge earlier in NOT trading alexander or the #1 pick (to select Bush), so I wanted to throw one more by you.

The team with the #2 pick has shown some interest in the #1, but ultimately won't pay the price to get something done. He is weak at RB and looking to get younger and better. He has Dillon, J Jones, & Duckett.

I was considering offering him Cadillac and the #6 pick for Dillon and his #2 pick, where I then select Maroney. I really like the toughness of the Dillon/Maroney combo and eventually just Maroney. It feels like close value where I am perhaps overpaying to have the NE handcuffs. I could either suggest another swap of picks in a later round just to even things up, or add a WR swap (like Marvin for A Johnson).

I like Caddy too, but it seems like TB has a tough schedule each year, I'm not sure I trust his durability as well as Gruden's use of Caddy (i.e. will he refrain from running him into the ground).

So I guess the question is, which RB set do you like better, and am I getting enough in return?

SA, Caddy, Bush, White/Norwood (whoevery drops), Moore, Barlow, Houston

or

SA, Bush, Dillon, Maroney, Moore, Barlow, Houston

Many Thanks !

Okay, fun decisions here because both are well-thought out and could work out big time for you. I'll just give you my personal preference and hopefully my thought process will help you either go in my direction or run far away from it :cheers:

I think Dillon is a sleeper this year because he was still very consistent as a fantasy producer considering he played with a really bad set of leg injuries. He's healthy and though he didn't look like Maroney last week, he still looked productive. I believe he starts and Maroney is the change of pace guy this year unless Dillon gets hurt. Maroney still needs to work on blitz pickups--I saw him enough to believe he can block, but he needs to work on it to be counted on at the NFL level. And if Dillon stays healthy, Maroney will be a change of pace player that cuts into Dillon's time and costs you either way.

Caddy is a stud. I studied this guy a lot and the only reason wear and tear is on the minds of many in regards to Caddy has to do with the fact he tried to rush back from a foot injury and made the thing worse. He won't do that again. He is a bellcow back and Gruden won't shy away from him. I'd be thrilled with the combo of SA, Caddy, and Bush.

I'm not a fan of strength of schedule ratings in the preseason for the fact that there are so many changes offseason (and injuries during the season) that you really don't get a feel for schedule toughness until about month-month and a half into the season itself. The margin of talent among teams is ridiculously narrow for the top 25-28 teams and even the bottom few teams are capable of surprising so I'd be more inclined to make preseason judgments on the talent of the player and not the perceived notion of the schedule.

HOpe that helps...

Thanks Wildman. At this point, I'm going to stand pat and wait for someone to make a mistake and offer me too much. If not, I am going to draft away and continue to kick their butts and take their money.

OK here we go. I am in an 8 team keeper league. 1 keeper for 1 year only. Our scoring is very complex but bonuses are applied for BIG plays (ie. a 99 yard touchdown run would score 21 points) and penalties for BAD plays. Also, individual punt and kick returns can count better than receiving or rushing plays. Here's the scoring:

QBs

• Pass Completion 20+ Yards: 1pt
  • Pass Completion 40+ Yards: 1pt
  • Passing Interception: -2pts
  • Passing TD: 6pts (+1pt 25-49yds, +1pt 50-74yds, +1pt 75+yds)
  • Passing Two-point Conversion: 2pts
  • Passing Yards: 1pt for every 25yds (+1pt @300yds, +1pt @350yds, +1pt @400yds, +1pt @450yds, +1pt @500yds)

RBs

• Rush for 20+ Yards: 2pts
  • Rushing TD: 6pts (+1pt 25-49yds, +1pt 50-74yds, +1pt 75+yds)
  • Rushing Two-point Conversion: 2pts
  • Rushing Yards: 1pt for every 10yds (+1pt @50yds, +1pt @100yds, +1pt @150yds, +1pt @200yds, +1pt @250yds, +1pt@300yds)

WRs

• Reception of 20+ Yards: 1pts
  • Reception of 40+ Yards: 1pts
  • Receiving TD: 6pts (+1pt 25-49yds, +1pt 50-74yds, +1pt 75+yds)
  • Receiving Two-point Conversion: 2pts
  • Receiving Yards: 1pt for every 10yds (+1pt @50yds, +1pt @100yds, +1pt @150yds, +1pt @200yds, +1pt @250yds, +1pt@300yds)

Misc. Offense

• Fumble Lost, Including ST plays: -2
  • Individual Kick Return TD: 6pts (+1pt 25-49yds, +2pt 50-74yds, +3pt 75+yds)
  • Individual Kick Return Yards: 1pt for every 10yds (+1pt @50yds, +1pt @100yds, +1pt @150yds, +1pt @200yds, +1pt @250yds, +1pt@300yds)
  • Individual Kick Return Yards: 1pt for every 10yds (+1pt @50yds, +1pt @100yds, +1pt @150yds, +1pt @200yds, +1pt @250yds, +1pt@300yds)

Place Kicking

• Extra Points: 1pt
  • Missed Extra Point: -3pts
  • Field Goals: 3pts (+1pt 40-49yds, +2pts 50-54yds, +4pts 55-59, +6pts 60+yds)
  • Missed Field Goal: -1pt (-4pts 1-9yds, -3pts 10-19yds, -2pts 20-29yds, -1pts 30-39yds)

I'll spare you the defense and special teams scoring as it is even more complex. However, based on this information I have two questions.

1. Do I keep Steven Jackson or Edgerrin James? :blink:
  2. And this one may seem basic but I just not sure, are QBs in this league more valuable than RBs seeing whereas we need to start two and the scoring structure?

Thanks for the help.

Wildman - draft is Sunday - talk to me :blink:

I am thinking of revamping my roster in a performance scoring and dynasty league. Tell me what you think of the following trades:

CLINTON PORTIS

FOR

DEANGELO WILLIAMS

VERNON DAVIS

STEVE SMITH

FOR

LAURENCE MARONEY

REGGIE BUSH

ALGE CRUMPLER

FOR

DOM DAVIS

JULIUS JONES

TONY GONZALEZ

I am giving up lots of proven talent and putting loads of stock into rookies. My other WR's when we can start 3 after moving Steve SMith would be Chad Johnson , Roy Williams, Kennison and McCardell.

Looking forward to hearing your answer !

OK here we go. I am in an 8 team keeper league. 1 keeper for 1 year only. Our scoring is very complex but bonuses are applied for BIG plays (ie. a 99 yard touchdown run would score 21 points) and penalties for BAD plays. Also, individual punt and kick returns can count better than receiving or rushing plays. Here's the scoring:

QBs

• Pass Completion 20+ Yards: 1pt
  • Pass Completion 40+ Yards: 1pt
  • Passing Interception: -2pts
  • Passing TD: 6pts (+1pt 25-49yds, +1pt 50-74yds, +1pt 75+yds)
  • Passing Two-point Conversion: 2pts
  • Passing Yards: 1pt for every 25yds (+1pt @300yds, +1pt @350yds, +1pt @400yds, +1pt @450yds, +1pt @500yds)

RBs

• Rush for 20+ Yards: 2pts
  • Rushing TD: 6pts (+1pt 25-49yds, +1pt 50-74yds, +1pt 75+yds)
  • Rushing Two-point Conversion: 2pts
  • Rushing Yards: 1pt for every 10yds (+1pt @50yds, +1pt @100yds, +1pt @150yds, +1pt @200yds, +1pt @250yds, +1pt@300yds)

WRs

• Reception of 20+ Yards: 1pts
  • Reception of 40+ Yards: 1pts
  • Receiving TD: 6pts (+1pt 25-49yds, +1pt 50-74yds, +1pt 75+yds)
  • Receiving Two-point Conversion: 2pts
  • Receiving Yards: 1pt for every 10yds (+1pt @50yds, +1pt @100yds, +1pt @150yds, +1pt @200yds, +1pt @250yds, +1pt@300yds)

Misc. Offense

• Fumble Lost, Including ST plays: -2

Place Kicking

• Extra Points: 1pt
  • Missed Extra Point: -3pts
  • Field Goals: 3pts (+1pt 40-49yds, +2pts 50-54yds, +4pts 55-59, +6pts 60+yds)
  • Missed Field Goal: -1pt (-4pts 1-9yds, -3pts 10-19yds, -2pts 20-29yds, -1pts 30-39yds)

I'll spare you the defense and special teams scoring as it is even more complex. However, based on this information I have two questions.

1. Do I keep Steven Jackson or Edgerrin James? :D
  2. And this one may seem basic but I just not sure, are QBs in this league more valuable than RBs seeing whereas we need to start two and the scoring structure?

Thanks for the help.

Did you mean you start 2 QBs or 2 RBs. Plus, do RBs get points per receptions like receivers? If they do, then RBs are more valauble. I think Jackson has more upside due to his youth, better line, and nearly equivalent passing game. But James will get you more receptions in the short passing game. The problem is James isn't likely to get many 20+ yard receptions. So I think Jackson is just slightly a better bet from a standpoint that you should know what you get.

You know what you get with James' ability, but not with his offensive line. It's a close call. James is one of my favorite players and I always see him as a bargain, but this year might be a bit different.

Hope that helps...

Wildman - draft is Sunday - talk to me :thumbsup:

I am thinking of revamping my roster in a performance scoring and dynasty league. Tell me what you think of the following trades:

CLINTON PORTIS

FOR

DEANGELO WILLIAMS

VERNON DAVIS

STEVE SMITH

FOR

LAURENCE MARONEY

REGGIE BUSH

ALGE CRUMPLER

FOR

DOM DAVIS

JULIUS JONES

TONY GONZALEZ

I am giving up lots of proven talent and putting loads of stock into rookies. My other WR's when we can start 3 after moving Steve SMith would be Chad Johnson , Roy Williams, Kennison and McCardell.

Looking forward to hearing your answer !

BTW--I'm a Shockey fan too (he's said some stupid things, but I could care less about that...he's an old school player). I kind of like the Portis deal because of the upside, but I don't think Portis' career is over by any means. At the same time you could very well be trading Portis at his peak, so that's a good deal. I love both of those players you'd get. Smith for Maroney? Not sure I'd do that one. I like Maroney, but still believe Dillon will majorly cut into his time. I would not give up Bush and Crumpler for any three of those guys.

I can see you doing the Smith deal becuase you have Johnson and Williams (and that depth), but I still wouldn't do it. Keep Bush--I don't mind be dead wrong on this one, but I believe he's the next great RB in this league. Get DeAngelo and deal away Portis if you must, but don't get rid of Smith.

That's my take. Good luck!

Did you mean you start 2 QBs or 2 RBs. Plus, do RBs get points per receptions like receivers? If they do, then RBs are more valauble. I think Jackson has more upside due to his youth, better line, and nearly equivalent passing game. But James will get you more receptions in the short passing game. The problem is James isn't likely to get many 20+ yard receptions. So I think Jackson is just slightly a better bet from a standpoint that you should know what you get.

You know what you get with James' ability, but not with his offensive line. It's a close call. James is one of my favorite players and I always see him as a bargain, but this year might be a bit different.

Hope that helps...

I'm sorry, we start 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and 1 flex (RB, WR, TE). Also. RBs score the same as receivers for receiving yardage and TDs. Thanks for the help. I was already leaning towards SJax, but I really like Edge too and have had him on my team for the last 3 years. Just kinda tough to let go.

Alright Wildman, I am in need of your wisdom. I hope you could respond asap as I am nearing a deadline (this thursday midnight).

Our dynasty league final cut down date is coming this Thursday. Our rosters are limited to just 17 players. As you will see from my roster I have been trying to stock up on RBs. I was hoping some of them will break out to clear cut situations. But my time is short. I am having a hard time trying to decide what to do with my current roster.

Is there a position that seriously needs an upgrade? Are there trades that I should be looking to make? If so, which players should I be targeting and what would you consider to be acceptable offers?

If I am unable to make any deals, which 5 of my current 22 would cut?

Here is my roster:

qbs: brady, simms, leftwich

rbs: jordan, jlewis, musa smith, mike bell, maroney, dwilliams, gjones, lundy, vmorency, betts

wrs: fitzgerald, harrison, wilford, curtis, vjackson

te: troupe

k: stover

D: Jax, Atl

Thanks again.