Sign in to follow this  
Toro

Most of Texas Redistricting Map Upheld

This was the one where the Republicans disenfranchised huge swaths of the population of Texas in order to maintain their Congressional and State Legislature majorities

I think this is good news overall. Now that the Supreme Court has validated gerrymandering, once the November elections are held and the Democrats sweep into control of the House, we will see many Red states lose seats to Democrats in the future. After all, that right wing Supreme Court has set a precedent.

:banana:

How in the world can they justify re-districting prior to a new census? Clearly, it's just an attempt to manipulate the voting. That seems horribly unethical. I'm surprised it's even legal.

Polititians suck. :banana:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/4011121.html

This was the one where the poosay-ass democrats ran to another state like little biatches because the only way to stop this from happening was to deny quorum. They cost taxpayers millions of dollars by NOT doing their job and the supreme court said 7-2 that they were wrong.

Suck it.

As Paul stated, you do realize this set a dangerous preceedent, right? SC has essentially ruled that districts can be redrawn WHENEVER rather than every set number of years, no matter who is in charge.

You cheer now, and you'll probably cry sometime in the future.

As Paul stated, you do realize this set a dangerous preceedent, right? SC has essentially ruled that districts can be redrawn WHENEVER rather than every set number of years, no matter who is in charge.

You cheer now, and you'll probably cry sometime in the future.

Paul is an idiot.

Paul is an idiot.

Nice, well thought-out comeback. Were you getting tired of "I know you are, but what am I?"

Nice, well thought-out comeback. Were you getting tired of "I know you are, but what am I?"

I have no patience to argue with someone who doesn't deal in reality.

I have no patience to argue with someone. I just call them an alias and go work on my myspace pages.

:rolleyes:

I have no patience to argue with someone who doesn't deal in reality.

The reality is that it sets a precedent as far as gerrymandering is concerned. While it is advantageous right now for Texas GOP, it may not be in the future. It also clears the way for every state legislature to do this whenever they want to try to keep control of their state houses in future elections. I think it's interesting that the Supreme Courst found that the Texas redistricting was illegal for parts of western and southern Texas, believing it denied the Hispanic voters legal representation, yet didn't find that to be the case in northern Texas, which certain lawmakers believed to put a similar burden of African American voters. If the tables get turned on your Texas GOP in the future, you will be the first one screaming about it. Think about it!

The reality is that it sets a precedent as far as gerrymandering is concerned. While it is advantageous right now for Texas GOP, it may not be in the future. It also clears the way for every state legislature to do this whenever they want to try to keep control of their state houses in future elections. I think it's interesting that the Supreme Courst found that the Texas redistricting was illegal for parts of western and southern Texas, believing it denied the Hispanic voters legal representation, yet didn't find that to be the case in northern Texas, which certain lawmakers believed to put a similar burden of African American voters. If the tables get turned on your Texas GOP in the future, you will be the first one screaming about it. Think about it!

:first:

That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out objection.

OVERRULED!!!!

:banana:

That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out objection.

OVERRULED!!!!

Nicely done on the My Cousin Vinnie referrence.

:cry:

when it does, I guarantee the lawmakers won't run off to another state. :banana:

If you are a conservative, this is good news. This is what judicial restraint is all about. Who cares whether it helps or hurts Republicans.