Sign in to follow this  
josh wiley

edge in the valley of the sun

arizona rbs have been abysmal for as long as i can remember. i am trying to decide whether it is a lack of skill with the backs themselves or if their runblocking is terrible along with their play designs. in other words, i am curious as to whether or not edge can come right in and be the back he was in indy. will the cardinals notoriously bad running game rub off on him or does he bring a higher standard to their backfield? seems similar to the classic question of was it the chicken or the egg? personally i think he will have a good season, but he may find it a bit more difficult without the defense having to respect manning's passing and play fakes. if i had to give him some numbers i would predict around 1200 on the ground and maybe about 400 receiving. any thoughts?

No, he won't be the back he was in Indy. Does Warner strike fear into the hearts of D's like Peyton? No. Can the Cardinals line block anyone? No. Are the Arizona's WR's as good as Indy's? No, not yet.

That's why you see Edge ranked anywhere from 4 to 12 amongst RB's.

Are the Arizona's WR's as good as Indy's? No, not yet.

Let's not be too hasty.

the egg. definitely the egg.

edge will have a fine year, but not stupendous.

imho...

0% chance at top 5

50% chance at top 10

95% chance at top 15

By the way, I think Edge is going to be just fine. An over the hill Emmitt Smith put up 1000 yards and 9 touchdowns under denny green with an even crappier offense.

Edge is a great back. I think everyone gives Indy's O-line a little too much credit. They are a solid unit, but the skill players give them a lot of help.

Peyton kept defenses off balance with his game management and audible ability. Along with his ability to make the hot read. He rarely just hangs onto the ball for too long.

Edge, Marvin, Wayne, and TE/Stokley kept LB's and the secondary respectful of the big play.

When Indy was really asked to block and pick up blitzes, they were exposed a bit by SD and Pittsburgh.

Edge will be fine in Arizona, and I think you'll see Indy get blitzed a whole lot more. When you send 4 guys out on routes. 7 defenders are coming against 6 blockers, something has to give.

By the way, I think Edge is going to be just fine. An over the hill Emmitt Smith put up 1000 yards and 9 touchdowns under denny green with an even crappier offense.

Exactly, I got the feeling Edge just wanted to line up and run the play.

none of this matters when you rush the ball less than 400 times a year as a team--Religiously. They've literally had multiple games where they ran the ball 10 times or fewer--IN A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Keith Rowan is sitll OC (no pun intended)

none of this matters when you rush the ball less than 400 times a year as a team--Religiously. They've literally had multiple games where they ran the ball 10 times or fewer--IN A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Keith Rowan is sitll OC (no pun intended)

As bad as their run/pass ratio was, their results when they did run the ball were no better. Shipp and Arrington averaged only 3.05 yards per carry, that's friggin pathetic.

As bad as their run/pass ratio was, their results when they did run the ball were no better. Shipp and Arrington averaged only 3.05 yards per carry, that's friggin pathetic.

All that tells me is if those jokers can get 3 yards per carry, Edge can get at least 4.5 ypc.

320 carries x 4.5 ypc = 1440 yards , even 4 ypc = 1280 yards

Add in some receiving yards, and it's a pretty nice season. The commitment has to be there.

Dennis Green just came out and said that he is looking forward to 1600 yards rushing from Edge.

Pass the bud :huh:

I don't like his situation one bit.Edge isn't in Indy and he isn't even the back he used to be before his injury.He's much more of a power back instead of a slasher and homerun hitter now.He doesn't get those 40yd td's anymore thats for sure.I just see something going wrong w/Warner{either injury or bad play}then they have to bring in the rookie and it's now a "rebuilding" season where Edge's production suffers due to it.

I had Edge last yr and he was great{except for the games he sat out of at the end of the season}but I really don't want to have to pull the trigger on him this season.