Sign in to follow this  
esoitl

a few blurbs on S Smith

Rotowire

Jul 30 Smith, who strained his left hamstring while running a route Saturday, missed practice Sunday, the Associated Press reports.

Recommendation: Coach John Fox indicated that Smith, who missed the final week of coaching sessions in June with tightness in the same hamstring, is listed as day-to-day. "He was nursing it at the end of summer school, so we have to put him on the shelf, work the rehab, and we'll get him out here when he's healthy," Fox said. "We'll take it as slow as we need to." We'll keep you posted on Smith's progress, but with the Panthers taking the cautious route at this stage, this doesn't look like anything that will affect Smith's regular season availability or his fantasy value

KFFL

Jul 30 Mike Cranston, of the Associated Press, reports Carolina Panthers WRs Drew Carter and Keary Colbert split time opposite WR Keyshawn Johnson with the first team at practice Sunday, July 30, because WR Steve Smith (hamstring) is sidelined with a hamstring injury. The loss of Smith is a significant blow for a team that depended on him almost exclusively last season in the passing game. Smith is out indefinitely. The Panthers won't speculate on how long Smith will be out. Carter and Colbert both have huge potential, but there's no doubt the Panthers prefer Smith's quick return, leaving Colbert and Carter to battle for the No. 3 receiver job.

Stats LLC

Jul 30 Smith missed practice Sunday, a day after he strained his left hamstring while running a route at training camp. Coach John Fox said Smith, who missed the final week of coaching sessions in June with tightness in the same hamstring, is listed as day-to-day.

Advice: Smith led the NFL with 103 receptions for 1,563 yards and 12 touchdowns last season. Ricky Proehl and Kerry Colbert were Carolina's second-leading wide receivers with 25 catches each. The Panthers added Keyshawn Johnson in the offseason to provide an alternative to Smith.

Thanks for the news. A little bit to add to the Panthers WR corps. Drew Carter is an amazing talent. The only reason why he was such a low draft pick was because he was hurt all through college. He could have a lot of upside if Colbert or Smith were to go down.

I hope this injury doesn't linger... like all hamstrings do. If he hobbles a bit in the pre-season I personally would drop him to around 6-7 WR. This worries me

I hope this injury doesn't linger... like all hamstrings do. If he hobbles a bit in the pre-season I personally would drop him to around 6-7 WR. This worries me

Not all Hamstring injuries linger, as a matter of fact, most do not. People on this board have blown so many things out of proportion that everyone believes doomsday is coming every time someone tweaks or pulls something. This happens all the time, in every sport, especially the first few days of camp.

Obviously, it's too early to either freak out or breathe easy. That said, I doubt this injury is significant. He's got 7 weeks until the season starts, the injury is a strain (not a sprain or tear) and every WR battles hamstring injuries. It's part of the position.

But it is the preseason and the press latches on to any story they think will get looks. Smith is at the top of his game, which makes every little detail about him (positive or negative) news.

you forgot this blurb...

he will finish as the top fantasy wideout for the 2nd year in a row :pointstosky:

He tweeked this same hamstring in the minicamps at the end of June I believe.

His career is over, he should just retire now.

Obviously, it's too early to either freak out or breathe easy. That said, I doubt this injury is significant. He's got 7 weeks until the season starts, the injury is a strain (not a sprain or tear) and every WR battles hamstring injuries. It's part of the position.

But it is the preseason and the press latches on to any story they think will get looks. Smith is at the top of his game, which makes every little detail about him (positive or negative) news.

i hear ya but he did get carted off the field after the injury, good to hear it wasn't that bad

Not all Hamstring injuries linger, as a matter of fact, most do not. People on this board have blown so many things out of proportion that everyone believes doomsday is coming every time someone tweaks or pulls something. This happens all the time, in every sport, especially the first few days of camp.

Yeah, right... I thought the same thing last year when trading for Horn... it will only last a couple of weeks... but then the bottom fell out... this situation deserves a whole lot of attention...

All you guys care about is how this effects your fantasy team. What I want to know is will he ever walk again? :thumbsup:

I think John Fox is a genius. Tells Smith he's fine...Delhomme and Smith have their timing down. John is forcing the issue with Delhomme working on timing between Carter, Colbert, and Johnson. Smith goes to the Carribean and drinks Mai Tai's with the family and shows up and blows up the NFL again this year.

What you said is true. But, unlike other types of injuries (I.E. broken bones or damaged ligaments), with an injured hamstring, it`s sometimes difficult to put a time frame on the players recovery. A hamstring injury is one of those types of injuries that can heal in a week, or it can hobble a player for an entire season (I.E. Isaac Bruce about 4 or 5 years ago). So, even though it may be a common injury and it may not sound like much, it can sometimes affect a player`s performance for a long time.

What you said is true. But, unlike other types of injuries (I.E. broken bones or damaged ligaments), with an injured hamstring, it`s sometimes difficult to put a time frame on the players recovery. A hamstring injury is one of those types of injuries that can heal in a week, or it can hobble a player for an entire season (I.E. Isaac Bruce about 4 or 5 years ago). So, even though it may be a common injury and it may not sound like much, it can sometimes affect a player`s performance for a long time.

This is true. Though, players who injure their hammies during the season are more likely to have the problem linger. They may rest it during the week, but come Sunday, they're back on the field aggravating it again.

In the case of Steve Smith, he's got 7 full weeks until the season starts. That's 50 days to rest, rehab and work all without stressing it the way players have to on game day. Even mid-season, 7 weeks is plenty of time to rehab a hamstring strain (especially for a younger player like Smth).

I ask you, how many other players have injured their hamstrings this in camp? A lot more than Smith. This is only a story because of Smith's status as the #1 wideout of 2005. He's going to be fine.