Sign in to follow this  
Apex Predator

Waiver Wire Limits...

back on the forum now that Football season is starting agaiN! <_<

Make the long story short: We have a new commissioner in our league this year, and he's planning on implementing a rule which restricts everyone's waiver wire pick up (Including Free Agent pick ups) to 2 a week. I wanted to check with others in the league if this type of restriction is common. Our league in the past have had limitless transaction limit throughout the year.

What do you think? Is this just?

My main league allows 25 transactions a season.

I find it restrictive. I can't say I like it. Plenty of owners do like it though.

we use 50 and i cant say anyone even gets close to it

i play IDP so that even makes for more WW action than normal

i do like limits, 2 a week shouldn't be that hard to comply with

it requires a little more forethought and stricter management but thats what FF is all about, the most prepared and best managers deserve a leg up on everyone else

is it so hard not to chase those one week wonders?

What I have yet to understand is the purpose behind these restrictions? The so-called "Waiver Wire Whores" are taking as much of a risk as the next person when he drops a player to pick up another.

More importantly, I don't see the advantage of someone having a large amount of transactions over someone who has made less amount of moves.

Why is your new commissioner laying down new rules without getting buy-off from the owners? THAT'S the problem I see. New rules for the league should be voted on and approved by the majority of the owners. If the majority of your league votes for the new rule, then there's not much you can do about it, but if the new commish is trying to be an autocrat, then a coup d'etat may be in order. Rise up! Rise up, I tell you! :ninja:

No sir I don't like it. 2 Weeks is ridiculous. If a guy is listed a FA then you should be able to pick him up right then. If he is on Waiver's then 2 day wait at max. Maybe a limit of transactions per year but to have to wait two weeks is asinine.

Why is your new commissioner laying down new rules without getting buy-off from the owners? THAT'S the problem I see. New rules for the league should be voted on and approved by the majority of the owners. If the majority of your league votes for the new rule, then there's not much you can do about it, but if the new commish is trying to be an autocrat, then a coup d'etat may be in order. Rise up! Rise up, I tell you! :ninja:

We will be having a vote about it, but he's been lobbying for votes ever since the beginning. When questioned, he's not given any explaination other than "he had the least amount of transactions last year in the league". Which is why: I'm on the board searching for 2nd and 3rd opinions. Verbally, most of the owners are for the rules, and I'm fine with that. What I am failing to understand is the purpose behind it.

the reasoning behind it is your draft really hinges on how well your season goes

if one owner prepares properly in the draft and has sufficient backups in hand they should have no problem with making one or two moves a week to replace for injuries/byes/busts

if you go in and screw the hell out of the thing and reach on too many people and don't plan for byes/back-ups in a way you deserve to be put in that situation and shouldn't be helped along by being able to change half your roster every week

extraordinary situations will arise from time to time where 3 or more moves are needed but with careful planning you should be fine week to week

The so-called "Waiver Wire Whores" are taking as much of a risk as the next person when he drops a player to pick up another.

not if they are dropping some bum who never has a chance to play

some people like to go out and take big risks in the draft with very questionable guys, if they never work out all they are is extra baggage to be dropped for any stud on the wire

No sir I don't like it. 2 Weeks is ridiculous. If a guy is listed a FA then you should be able to pick him up right then. If he is on Waiver's then 2 day wait at max. Maybe a limit of transactions per year but to have to wait two weeks is asinine.

Sorry if you misinterpret what I meant. What the new commissioner in my league wants to do is to: Limit the amount of moves/transaction to TWO/PER week.

:ninja: I would not even be part of a league that requires 2 weeks of wait period before someone is clear for waivers.

the reasoning behind it is your draft really hinges on how well your season goes

if one owner prepares properly in the draft and has sufficient backups in hand they should have no problem with making one or two moves a week to replace for injuries/byes/busts

if you go in and screw the hell out of the thing and reach on too many people and don't plan for byes/back-ups in a way you deserve to be put in that situation and shouldn't be helped along by being able to change half your roster every week

extraordinary situations will arise from time to time where 3 or more moves are needed but with careful planning you should be fine week to week

not if they are dropping some bum who never has a chance to play

some people like to go out and take big risks in the draft with very questionable guys, if they never work out all they are is extra baggage to be dropped for any stud on the wire

Valid point. BUT, those who were well-prepared for the draft has the choice of dropping those players they have drafted for someone in the waiver if the owner deems that the waiver player is better than someone in their current roster.

Why should the "whores" adjust their style of play in accordance to those who are more conservative with their strategies?

I call B.S. Why should anyone care how many times you go to the wire? If it means I didn't draft well, the other owners should be happy.

^^ Good point. Keep'em coming

the league i run, you get an add/drop budget. each team gets a $20 budget for the whole season. you can bid a minimum of $0.25 and no max. each add/drop goes through an auction process, the highest bidder on the player gets him. adds a little extra strategy to fantasy football.

15+ yr Commish here. Muliple leagues every year. I simply see no reason for such a rule. Does the WW priority system cause him more work or something?

Nope. The waiver wire does not require more work from the commish. What you're saying is simply the only reason why I'm fighting so hard for it to stay. There are no convincing reasons behind such a rule being implemented.

The so-far reasons by him and those who are for the rules are:

1. We need to restrict it. <-- Nothing more than this.

2. This is not fair for those who were prepared for the draft. The "whores" can have a bad draft, yet they can win the league. <-- Look at larrymcirish's post. In addition, EVERYONE in the league has the same opportunity to pick up the Free Agents.

This one is my favorite....

3. It doesn't allow people to watch Football on TV. Everyone needs to be in front of their computers at all times to make sure that players aren't being picked up. <--- I am not even going to bother explaining why this reasoning is baseless.

Nope. The waiver wire does not require more work from the commish. What you're saying is simply the only reason why I'm fighting so hard for it to stay. There are no convincing reasons behind such a rule being implemented.

2. This is not fair for those who were prepared for the draft. The "whores" can have a bad draft, yet they can win the league. <-- Look at larrymcirish's post. In addition, EVERYONE in the league has the same opportunity to pick up the Free Agents.

3. It doesn't allow people to watch Football on TV. Everyone needs to be in front of their computers at all times to make sure that players aren't being picked up. <--- I am not even going to bother explaining why this reasoning is baseless.

None of those reasons is even close to valid. Sounds like your WW is First Come, First Served. My replies:

1. Why? If no reason, not valid. Do we also need to restrict how often a bear shitz in the woods (in Canada)?

2. If I were to agree with this, which I don't, I would also argue that it is equally unfair to those who wish to to take the time to improve their team.

3. Neither will I.

There is NO reason to ever restrict an Owner's ability to manage his team.

I would lead a revolt to oust his azz because he sounds like a pompous azz.

None of those reasons is even close to valid. Sounds like your WW is First Come, First Served. My replies:

1. Why? If no reason, not valid. Do we also need to restrict how often a bear shitz in the woods (in Canada)?

2. If I were to agree with this, which I don't, I would also argue that it is equally unfair to those who wish to to take the time to improve their team.

3. Neither will I.

There is NO reason to ever restrict an Owner's ability to manage his team.

I would lead a revolt to oust his azz because he sounds like a pompous azz.

hahaha...Thanx for the reply. Love the last line.

Just to clarify, our waiver wire system is fairly standard:

1. When a player is dropped by the owner, the player is on "Waiver" status for 2 days. People can pick him up after the 2 days period based on the priority status. The priority status is based on the # of moves the owner has made throughout the season. (For example, if I were to drop LT2, I'll be the last one in our league to pick him up).

2. If no one picks up a player that is dropped after the two day period, the player becomes a "FA" (Free Agent). In that case, it's first come first served.

The whole restriction of the moves is pretty much on the FA part. Certain people in the league doesn't think that it's fair that someone can pick up 8 FAs in one week just based on their matchups -OR- if a certain owner had a bad draft, the owner can live based on the FA pool. But, they fail to see that picking up 8 players mean dropping 8 players from your exisiting rosters as well. Which also means that there are consequences for the moves. Obviously, if I were to drop Shaun Alexander for some second string RB just b/c of the matchups on any given Sunday, I will be paying the price for making such a movie for rest of the season. Furthermore, keep in mind, every owner in the league have the same oppurtinity to the FA players.

In summary, I have yet been given a logical explaination as to why this restriction is consider on being applied or going on vote.

Ain't that a b*tch?

We're limiting it to 3 transactions per team per week this year. Players who are dropped remain on wavers for 24 hrs in my league. We had one guy in particular who would add and then drop about 5-10 players a day before gametime every week in an effort to block his opponent that week from shoring up his roster. Example- he sees that his opponent's kicker is on a bye, it's Saturday and he still hasn't picked up a replacement, so this guy scrolls the top 5 kickers on and then right off his roster, thus making them unavailable for Sunday's game. It sucks that some guys use tactics like that, so we're closing the loophole.

We pay $5 for every drop and every add. Then pay out that money each week (along with $50) to the high point team for the week. Had pots over $200 in the league.

Hurts the cheap skates in the league a bit. Other then that it's been great for 4 years now.

It a team wants to be a waiver wire junkie....everyone loves it because the pot grows.

Why is your new commissioner laying down new rules without getting buy-off from the owners? THAT'S the problem I see. New rules for the league should be voted on and approved by the majority of the owners. If the majority of your league votes for the new rule, then there's not much you can do about it, but if the new commish is trying to be an autocrat, then a coup d'etat may be in order. Rise up! Rise up, I tell you! :pointstosky:

AMEN BROTHA'!

I'm going to go against the grain here.

We use 1 pickup per week (except for unlimited pickups prior to week1) and here's why:

1st come first serve is a huge advantage to the commissioner unless you use online services. I prefer to have a weekly drawing so everyone has a shot at a key pickup.

(I am the commissioner and do not like those services, I do scoring by hand and keep all stats posted online myself. It takes about an hour a week. I'd also rather give the money as payouts rather than to a service)

Pickup fees SUCK to collect. I simply will not set myself up to have to bug people to pay their pickup fees.

It makes me seem like an Ahole and takes up my time tracking and collecting.

Unlimited pickups are a huge hassle and time waste. The same 3 people will change their mind 4 times in a week and keep changing to make sure someone else does not get the guy. I have a family and a life and don't want 10 calls a day about pickups. Send me an email Thursday with your pickup and we're done.

1 per week gives an edge to those who prepare and follow their teams. You have to draft well and look ahead to byes and be crafty. Cut your dead weight every week! This is an advantage to me as I know how everyone's doing from doing the scoring and I know all the rosters well. But this is a far more fair advantage than 1st come first serve, where I could simply tell the caller, "sorry, I just picked him up".

We do have free and unlimited trades, which I felt the pickup limit would help spur more of. But we still only get a few trades a year.

Someday I may switch to say X number of moves per year. But I have had no complaints, so I keep it as is.

We're limiting it to 3 transactions per team per week this year. Players who are dropped remain on wavers for 24 hrs in my league. We had one guy in particular who would add and then drop about 5-10 players a day before gametime every week in an effort to block his opponent that week from shoring up his roster. Example- he sees that his opponent's kicker is on a bye, it's Saturday and he still hasn't picked up a replacement, so this guy scrolls the top 5 kickers on and then right off his roster, thus making them unavailable for Sunday's game. It sucks that some guys use tactics like that, so we're closing the loophole.

^^ Yes, I think that can be an issue if you have someone doing that in your league. But, on the flipside of the token, who are these players he's dropping to pick up these 5 kickers? :thumbsdown: Isn't there a limit on the number of players per team? That's crazy he's able to stash 5 kickers unless he's dropping big namers for these pickups.

Always easy to criticize rules --- but EVERYONE in your league follows the same rules.

Fantasy Football leagues shouldn't run as a democracy --- I run one, and it can quickly turn into anarchy if everyone starts chiming in on their opinions. Also, it sucks to baby-sit every owner.

You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.

I'm going to go against the grain here.

We use 1 pickup per week (except for unlimited pickups prior to week1) and here's why:

1st come first serve is a huge advantage to the commissioner unless you use online services. I prefer to have a weekly drawing so everyone has a shot at a key pickup.

(I am the commissioner and do not like those services, I do scoring by hand and keep all stats posted online myself. It takes about an hour a week. I'd also rather give the money as payouts rather than to a service)

Props to you for keeping the score manually, that's old school right there. Everything in our league is automated. B) I see your point on the planning ahead part. Keep in mind though, it takes planning and strategy too when people drop a player for someone in the Free Agent/Waiver Pool.

Always easy to criticize rules --- but EVERYONE in your league follows the same rules.

Fantasy Football leagues shouldn't run as a democracy --- I run one, and it can quickly turn into anarchy if everyone starts chiming in on their opinions. Also, it sucks to baby-sit every owner.

You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.

Are you from Mr.fantasy.com? I've seen your username somewhere before. Anyway, welcome to the board.

I question your "Fantasy Football Leagues shouldn't run as a democrazy" statement. So, nothing in your league is voted and everything is decided by you only? Do you pay for everyone else's entrance fee as well? I see the Commissioner as more of the judge at the court. Whereas the owners are the jury. Nothing should be decided unless it's voted. And, nothing should be changed by voting unless there's a dispute on a rule where both sides of the reasonings are valid.

^^ Yes, I think that can be an issue if you have someone doing that in your league. But, on the flipside of the token, who are these players he's dropping to pick up these 5 kickers? :D Isn't there a limit on the number of players per team? That's crazy he's able to stash 5 kickers unless he's dropping big namers for these pickups.
The cheater would pick up kicker-A, releasing a scrub reserve for him. He then takes kicker-B, releasing kicker-A. Kicker-A can then not be claimed for 24 hrs. B is released for C, and so on. It's like a snake eating it's own tail (or a cheater swallowing his own hog, if you prefer.)

The commish is an idiot, and you should quit the league right away. In fact, please murder him to prevent them from polluting the gene pool with their idiocy.

In all seriousness, I am always astounded by the number of you that play in leagues where the commish can do whatever they want, without the consent of the majority of the league.

:wall: :D :wacko:

The cheater would pick up kicker-A, releasing a scrub reserve for him. He then takes kicker-B, releasing kicker-A. Kicker-A can then not be claimed for 24 hrs. B is released for C, and so on. It's like a snake eating it's own tail (or a cheater swallowing his own hog, if you prefer.)

That's actually the first point which I came across where I think limitation is necessary. If you have someone in your league abusing the rule like that, by all means, limit the dumbass as an individual if you can. If not, I guess limit the whole league. However, with the league we are running, if you were to drop the same player you've picked up on the same day. The player that is dropped does not become a waiver player. It's an free agent (Which first come first serves still applies).

For example,

Player A is picked up at 12pm. If Player A is dropped anytime in between 12PM till 11:59PM, it can still be picked up by others. If it's dropped the next day, then there's a 2 day waiting period till player A is eligible for pick up again.

KEEP IN MIND, realistically, it's not in the Owner's favor to do things like this. Because if the Owner's goal is to get Player D for Sunday's game, he's leaving Player D out in the open to be picked up by other Owners while he's doing the pickup & dropping.

The commish is an idiot, and you should quit the league right away. In fact, please murder him to prevent them from polluting the gene pool with their idiocy.

In all seriousness, I am always astounded by the number of you that play in leagues where the commish can do whatever they want, without the consent of the majority of the league.

:wall: :D :wacko:

The rule is up for vote. It's just that he's been lobbying for people to vote on his side verbally without presenting the other side's argument. This topic was made, so I can gather some unbiased opinions from Fantasy Football fans out here. An official E-mail will be sent out by him within the next few days detailing the official reason for the changes. I'll post that on here when I receive it. Trust me, I'm not going down without putting up a fight.

Props to you for keeping the score manually, that's old school right there. Everything in our league is automated. :banana: I see your point on the planning ahead part. Keep in mind though, it takes planning and strategy too when people drop a player for someone in the Free Agent/Waiver Pool.

Are you from Mr.fantasy.com? I've seen your username somewhere before. Anyway, welcome to the board.

I question your "Fantasy Football Leagues shouldn't run as a democrazy" statement. So, nothing in your league is voted and everything is decided by you only? Do you pay for everyone else's entrance fee as well? I see the Commissioner as more of the judge at the court. Whereas the owners are the jury. Nothing should be decided unless it's voted. And, nothing should be changed by voting unless there's a dispute on a rule where both sides of the reasonings are valid.

Your "demoCRAZY" is 100% correct. It's crazy to let demoCRAZY rule.

No matter what, everyone is going to have different opinions. Owners are the jury? I disagree. I have run several leagues, and every league that was a DemoCRAZY, was just that, CRAZY. Smoothest leagues are CLEARLY defined, rules, scoring, etc. --- if your league is patchwork and has several discrepencies throughout the year, then yes, you should quit.....

Your "demoCRAZY" is 100% correct. It's crazy to let demoCRAZY rule.

No matter what, everyone is going to have different opinions. Owners are the jury? I disagree. I have run several leagues, and every league that was a DemoCRAZY, was just that, CRAZY. Smoothest leagues are CLEARLY defined, rules, scoring, etc. --- if your league is patchwork and has several discrepencies throughout the year, then yes, you should quit.....

:banana: Didn't even see the typo myself. It was purely unintensional.

A league that is democratic means that all the rules are agreed by all the owners prior to the start of the season. If there are any discrepencies, these are brought up, discussed and voted by the owners. If issues come up during the middle of the season (Which seldom happens), it's discussed and, if necessary, voted once again by the league. The Commissioner should be there to simply uphold the rules and make sure that the league runs smoothly. Nothing should be decided by ONE person.

People who are power crazy and wants to dictate all the rules by themselves without voting should try running for the President or something, so if they win, they can actually rule something that's meaningful.

I call B.S. Why should anyone care how many times you go to the wire? If it means I didn't draft well, the other owners should be happy.

Happy that you don't know how to draft, but pissed because your aloud to fix your mistakes.

We allow 4 waiver transaction per season and the wire is cut odd at week 8. To make the draft and every transaction important. This is all to encourage trading and stop the whoring of kickers and defenses. Being a keeper league (keeping 6) it stops owner from loading their team for next season.

Personally I think unlimited waivers takes away fron the game, but what do I know.

Happy that you don't know how to draft, but pissed because your aloud to fix your mistakes.

We allow 4 waiver transaction per season and the wire is cut odd at week 8. To make the draft and every transaction important.

is hitler your commish? :blink:

:thumbsdown: Didn't even see the typo myself. It was purely unintensional.

A league that is democratic means that all the rules are agreed by all the owners prior to the start of the season. If there are any discrepencies, these are brought up, discussed and voted by the owners. If issues come up during the middle of the season (Which seldom happens), it's discussed and, if necessary, voted once again by the league. The Commissioner should be there to simply uphold the rules and make sure that the league runs smoothly. Nothing should be decided by ONE person.

People who are power crazy and wants to dictate all the rules by themselves without voting should try running for the President or something, so if they win, they can actually rule something that's meaningful.

I still don't understand what your point is. If the rules are clearly defined from the get-go, what is there to vote on? If your league is unorganized that's a much larger problem. I also think you are clearly misinterpreting what I am saying: One set of rules, one person enforce them. Shouldn't be needs for "votes", which never work. "Power crazy" is really a rediculous statement, considering the commissioner would thereby operate under the same rules.

^^^

How are the rules defined? What happens when there are disagreements when the rules are written? Shouldn't the rule be agreed upon by everyone rather than just The Commissioner alone? That was basically my point for your original statement below: