Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

Ryan Moats projections

I normally dont ever question Mikes projectiosn but 35 receptions?

Is there something I am missing here? Last year he had 4 in 7 games?

Anyone else hear anything on him and his receiving skills getting a ton better?

I normally dont ever question Mikes projectiosn but 35 receptions?

Is there something I am missing here? Last year he had 4 in 7 games?

Anyone else hear anything on him and his receiving skills getting a ton better?

I believe he's injured.

Right I know he is injured right now, but was wondering if anyone had any insight to as his receiving abilities getting a lot better

even if they did get better will he even see the time on the field to get 35?

there are some wacky projections and i hate to criticize an expert opinion as i am not the supposed expert but i agree that this is a bit high

i havent heard much word on the guy out of camp as he has been injured and not likely practicing that much

Buckhalter is going to take over as the 2nd runningback and then get hurt. I'm hoping Westbrook stays in one peice so Moats doesn't get to see the field very often.

Moats and Westbrook have similar styles. Moats showed last season in his limited opportunities that he is for real. He averaged over 5 ypc on over 50 carries I am pretty sure. I believe that while Westbrook is the undisputed starter, Moats is going to line up next to him often to create some mismatches.

Moat's has always been a solid pass catching back... he has a great work ethic & great skills and i'm sure he did work on his game in the off-season... His only real weakness is his overall size which was questioned coming out... they compared him to a Domanick Davis type. I believe the "little back" proved over the past few years (Priest/Tiki/Dom Davis/Westbrook) that they can be a force in the NFL if given the opportunity. Moats currently has a sprained knee, but he'll be behind Westbrook at the start of the season...

Right now, he's out with a sprained knee. Contrary to what someone posted here, Buckhalter will not be the #2, nor does anyone expect him to make the team. Bruce Perry has a better chance at being the #3 back.

Now, the 35 receptions projected for Moats may be a bit much, but the thinking behind it has to do with how they're gonna use Westbrook. Westbrook will split out wide more often this year, which may provide more opportunities for Moats to catch the ball out of the backfield.

However, I think people who are looking to draft either running back need to pay close attention and see who will be the starting FB. Granted, Reid has gotten away from the run over the past 2 season. Yet during those 2 seasons, they haven't really had a legitimate FB (ever since Jon Ritchie got hurt). They have this undrafted rookie Davis in camp, and he was blowing guys up. Now he's out with a fractured wrist.

Ghost,

How does the O-Line look?

Strong. Thomas is back (he's been fighting back spasms, nothing to do with the offseason surgery nor blood clots). So far, it's Thomas at LT, Hermanns moved over to LG (being pushed by Jean-Gilles and Scott Young), Andrews at RG (he supposedly dropped alot of weight in the offseason), and Runyan.

The real battle is at center. Right now, Jamaal Jackson is starting. IMO, he's a bigger and better center than Fraley. Fraley is dependable, but he's too small to block the run, and was a huge reason why McNabb was getting killed last year.

Justice is progressing nicely, but clearly has some work to do. However, you can see the talent, and he will be the starter come next season, and will be the starter for the next 10 years.

TE-wise, LJ has looked good, Josh Schobel has been dropping alot of balls, and Andy Thorn (practice squad last year) has really impressed.

Actually one of Moats weaknesses is his lack of experience in the passing game. He had around 15 receptions in 2004 which were mostly RB screens, the upside is that he looks liked he bulked up and he has tremendous cutting ability along with speed. He is going to have to be a good receiver and pass blocker to stay with the Eagles.

Now he's out with a fractured wrist.

How long is Davis out?

Moats was basically a project for the first part of the 2005 season. They drafted him based on his upside, not his ability to step in right away and contribute. He played well when given an opportunity over the last half of the season. He will be the backup because he is the only RB on the roster whose skills approximate those of Westbrook. If they spell Westbrook on 3rd downs occasionally, Moats could hit 35 receptions because they will look to get him the ball because of his big play abilities. Keep in mind, this is not an offense that has a lot of playmakers.

The reason for this projection could be much simpler. If you think that Westy is a threat to get injured than Moats stepping in and getting a decent share of receptions makes sense. Reid isn't going to change his offense and whoever is lining up in the backfield will end up with a healthy reception total.

How long is Davis out?

Dunno. I do know he had surgery to pins in earlier in the week.

The guy's been punishing people during camp so far. He is the blocker that Jon Ritchie was, and the blocker that Westbrook/Moats/Perry need if they are going to run the ball this year.

The o-line will be a definite strength this season. I'd like to see Jackson and Jean-Gilles win the starting spots because that tells me that the Eagles will be alot better an run blocking between the tackles. They're trying to convert Hermanns into a guard, but that's been pretty difficult so far. With Jackson and JG in the lineup, the Eagles will have the biggest o-line in the league.

Don't look for Buckhalter to be on the active roster when the season starts (they'll prolly shelve him on the practice squad or PUP list). Perry will be given every opportunity to win the 3rd RB spot, and if he doesn't pan out at the beginning of the season, they'll prolly trade/cut him and activate Buckhalter.

That's just my take. :cry:

35 is reasonable and here's why...

1. Moats is dinged right now, but is expected to be healthy in plenty of time for the season.
  2. Expect to see sets with both westy and moats this year. Reid loves creating matchup nightmares for LBs
  3. Westy will get injured at some point and Moats will likely fill in
  4. With how the Iggles like to throw to their RBs, those fill in games will boost up his #s