Sign in to follow this  
Striker99

Where do you rank Hines Ward this year?

I've seen all the rankings - updated and all. I know he is getting older and has a small hammy issue. He is the go to guy in Pittsburgh...and he is always a solid fantasy contributer...so why isn't he top 10 heading in ? or is there too much new talent that pushes him into top 15 ? Help a brother out and tell me if having his as my #1 guy is pushing it. 12 team re-draft league.

--Phil

depends on where you draft and what the rest of your team looks like, but i would definitely take him as my #1 WR. His ADP is about mid RD3, so if you go RB-RB, and pick up another "tweener" WR in RD4, you should be fine.

As for some details...

He's 30, but if you look at the top 10 WRs, almost all of them are 28+ and age isnt as big a deal for WRs as, say RBs.

He had an off year last year for receptions, but still had 11 TDs (which i believe is top 5 for WRs). The loss of Randall El should easily push his receptions back into the 80s. Plus, he had Batch and Maddox at QB for 4 starts last year. And those guys cant hit the ocean from the beach.

All in all, i would put his value somewhere at the end of Rd 2, and you should be able to steal him in early to mid Rd3 or even late rd 3, early 4 depending on your draft.

my .02

Thanks hotdogcollarsdotcom. I got him mid 3rd like you said, after RB RB.

I was refering to a 12 team re-draft league.

I ate the bullett on Ward two years ago, got pissed at him, and undervalued him last year and paid for it dearly. I don't see him replicating last years numbers, becuase he usually isn't a go to guy in the end zone.

That being said, I expect the Steelers to be one of the better passing offense in the NFL. Someone has to catch the TDs, and Ward could have (even bigger) breakout season, getting back up to that 100 catch level. I place him later than 10th in my rankings, among Darrell Jackson, Donald Driver, and Randy Moss.

nice, hope you like roller coasters

actually, im an iggles fan, so i hope he's a FF stud this year. B)

Someone has to catch the TDs, and Ward could have (even bigger) breakout season, getting back up to that 100 catch level. I place him later than 10th in my rankings, among Darrell Jackson, Donald Driver, and Randy Moss.

If its a PPR, 100 catches puts him way above that ranking right? Also, I have Driver as a semi-sleeper this year. The Yackers suck and will be forced to trow a lot this year

Ward is a guy that I would be way more comfortable with as my 2nd than my first WR. He's kinda right at the top of the mid tier for me.

That being said, I expect the Steelers to be one of the better passing offense in the NFL.

Tommy Maddox throws for 5,000 yards? B)

If its a PPR, 100 catches puts him way above that ranking right? Also, I have Driver as a semi-sleeper this year. The Yackers suck and will be forced to trow a lot this year

Well, I was flip flopping a bit. Saying I don't expect him to repeat last year's numbers. However, I DO expect the Steelers passing offense to be good. Key word is EXPECT. It doesn't mean it will happen. Because of my mixed feelings on the subject, I rank him where I said.

And yeah, Driver is a sleeper for me. I'd rather have Driver than Roy Williams, and probably Hines Ward as well. I know not alot will agree with that, but hey, thats okay.

I don't see him replicating last years numbers, becuase he usually isn't a go to guy in the end zone.

That being said, I expect the Steelers to be one of the better passing offense in the NFL. Someone has to catch the TDs, and Ward could have (even bigger) breakout season, getting back up to that 100 catch level. I place him later than 10th in my rankings, among Darrell Jackson, Donald Driver, and Randy Moss.

Um. Since when? Ward has been a good end zone option consistently, even when Plaxico was there.

Incidentally, I've moved Ward down just a little bit this year. I don't think the hammy is serious, but it's kept him out of practice. I think that others (Miller, Wilson, Holmes, Washington, maybe even Reid) are going to see more practice and pre-season time, and the ball is going to get spread a little. Hines is still the go-to guy, but I put him as an excellent #2 to borderline #1. He's not the sure thing this year.

Just my opinion.

Ward as my #2, but I value him as a #1 if something were to happen to my #1(Fitzy)

I love his game, and his offense this year. I figure him to be a SOLID contributor week in and out.