Sign in to follow this  
kicker5

No Love for Edge

Why is Edge getting no love from any of you geeks. He is a proven back who is on an potentially explosive offense and he goes up against a running back friendly schedule. I know the offensive line has some question marks but as physical of runner as Edge is he doesn't need huge holes to gain his yardage. The passing game of the Cardinals will be in the top 3 in the league and he is also a great receiver out of the backfield. Warner knows how to use versatile backs like Edge and he will get a big share of screens and dump down catches. I have noticed that in most rankings you have him ranked anywhere from 8 - 12. After the top 3 backs he is money in the bank this season. Just would like to get some insight to why he is being dropped so far down the RB rankings, to me it doesn't make any sense. It seems like everyone is just judging him by a line who was blocking for JJ Arrington last year. Edge will be a top 5 back once again this year and everybody who passes on him will regret it by season's end. Edge is out to prove that he is a great running back and not just a product of Indy's offense.............................

Edge will be a top 5 back once again this year and everybody who passes on him will regret it by season's end. Edge is out to prove that he is a great running back and not just a product of Indy's offense.............................

Because he's out to prove that he is a great running back and not just a product of Indy's offense. We don't know substantively yet. We won't until we see him play.

Have you seen Arizona's offensive line? :banana: If I said it was bad, that would be a complement.

Edge averaged 4.2 ypc behind Indy's line. Behind Arizona's line prepare for a dropoff of up to a half ypc.

That is why he's lower than normal. I don't like him until about the 12th or 13th RB myself. He's going to get hit behind the line of scrimmage much more than he's used to this year.

I've had Edge the past 2 seasons, and what pissed me off the most was that inside of the 5, he'd take himself out of the game. If he didnt feel confident running behind Indy's line, how will he ever score in the desert? Also, I watched waaaaaaaaaaay too many Indy games, and he is great at getting 3-5 yards, with the occassional 8-12ish. But he doesnt seem to get those break away runs very often. I think he'll be a great RB2, but no way I use him as RB1 this year.

Why is Edge getting no love from any of you geeks. He is a proven back who is on an potentially explosive offense and he goes up against a running back friendly schedule. I know the offensive line has some question marks but as physical of runner as Edge is he doesn't need huge holes to gain his yardage. The passing game of the Cardinals will be in the top 3 in the league and he is also a great receiver out of the backfield. Warner knows how to use versatile backs like Edge and he will get a big share of screens and dump down catches. I have noticed that in most rankings you have him ranked anywhere from 8 - 12. After the top 3 backs he is money in the bank this season. Just would like to get some insight to why he is being dropped so far down the RB rankings, to me it doesn't make any sense. It seems like everyone is just judging him by a line who was blocking for JJ Arrington last year. Edge will be a top 5 back once again this year and everybody who passes on him will regret it by season's end. Edge is out to prove that he is a great running back and not just a product of Indy's offense.............................

Check my sig n00b. We don't all hate on the guy.

I've been making a case for Edge losing some yds but gaining some TDs for months.

But I agree - many don't listen. Each to their own. Had Portis been hurt prior to my current slow draft, I'd have Edge at 1.05 and everyone in the league would be ridiculing me. But that's ok. 1100/12 is a lock. Add 300+ receiving to that and you've got a top 5 RB.

Or do people think that offense won't score with two of the top 10 WRs in the game? The O-Line is so bad that Edge won't get yards? Uh, how about Edge as a dump off option when the pressure comes in on Warner...Edge could be a PPR monster this year.

Like I said - we're not all down on him...just some of the louder ones on the main forum.

:blink:

Here is why I have dropped him:

1 Poor O-line. Nothing new.

2 Poor D. Killer for RB's. No stats or anything, but I owned him last year. He seemed to get the lion's share of his rushing yds in the 4th quarter when the Colts were ahead. Don't see that being the case is the desert.

3 Green. He is pass first. Indy at least tried to stay somewhat balanced.

4 Weapons. Fitz, Bolden. You know they are going to throw. See 3, 2.

5 Lack of explosiveness. He just does not seem to have the burst he once had to break the big ones.

Here is why I have dropped him:

1 Poor O-line. Nothing new.

2 Poor D. Killer for RB's. No stats or anything, but I owned him last year. He seemed to get the lion's share of his rushing yds in the 4th quarter when the Colts were ahead. Don't see that being the case is the desert.

3 Green. He is pass first. Indy at least tried to stay somewhat balanced.

4 Weapons. Fitz, Bolden. You know they are going to throw. See 3, 2.

5 Lack of explosiveness. He just does not seem to have the burst he once had to break the big ones.

Good post! #1 Colts fan here. The past few seasons I've said they should get rid of Edge, as they didn't need him to win. When you have a good line, a good D, and a great O, you're automatically on a team that's going to get more rushing chances. Many RBs would do well in Indy's system (see Addai). Even when playing Madden, the first thing I did every year was trade Edge. You get a bunch of salary cap room, and get rid of a RB with mediocre speed (i.e., no explosiveness). Fans will see just how mediocre he is, now that he's a Cardinal.

^^Thats funny

Edge is still an elite RB, Arizona has been pass first for years now because they haven't had anyone in the backfield and their defense had sucked for a while. If anyone remembers the Jake Plummer era where he had thrown more picks than TD's every year, well that makes it hard on the whole team.

Deny Green runs a balanced offensive attack, he has always had the running game going until he got into Arizona, thus the moves to draft Arrington (whom many thought was a steal) and the biggest A signing in the offseason in getting Edge.

James has always been great, in college he was a beast, he blew up until he got hurt in the NFL and he has recovered pretty well. His forte has never been blinding speed, he is a combo of elusiveness, patience, vision and power. He is also a very smart player who is willing to block.

I'd projesct 1200 yds and 8 TD's on the ground and another 3-400 yds catching with 2 TD's and feel comfortable.

I'd projesct 1200 yds and 8 TD's on the ground and another 3-400 yds catching with 2 TD's and feel comfortable.

If he did that last year, he would have scored about 14 ppg in my league. That puts him around the 11th RB. I'm in a 10-team league, so he'd be a 2nd round pick. Exactly my point. Not a 4th-6th pick of the 1st round. I don't argue he'll get 1200 yds, but that's not elite in my book. Droughns had 1200 yds last year. I'm sure Edge won't get 800 yds total. He's better than Kevin Jones. But 1500+ isn't going to happen.

I've had Edge the past 2 seasons, and what pissed me off the most was that inside of the 5, he'd take himself out of the game. If he didnt feel confident running behind Indy's line, how will he ever score in the desert?

This is horsesh1t. He took himself out of the game inside the 5 because he wasn't confident? Give me a break. That's quite a leap. In 2005 weeks 9 and 11, he took himself out to let Rhodes score two short TDs. Rhodes other two TDs came in weeks 5 and 6, were short as well, and were scored as a result of bringing him in after James dominated the drive. Keep in mind this guy had 360 carries through 16 games for an average of 23 per game (including only 13 apiece in weeks 15 and 16).

In 2004, week 13 he had a 4 yard TD, week 5 a one yard run, 3 yard run in week 4, week 3 a 1 yard TD, and in week 2, a 4 yard run.

Get your facts straight before making stupid comments about his confidence.

i initially had James ranked 6th (Behind the big 3, Portis & Barber)...but now i slipped him lower, not sure eaxctly where right now. he is in flux. but i've moved Jackson ahead of him, at least.

his O Line will not give him a lot of help. he's going to have to earn his yards this year. his defense will be fine, so Arizona will BE in a lot fo games this year, not having to throw all the time. but that O Line raises a LOT of questions. he's still a first round back, but late in the 1st round, at best. i could see his value slip into the 2nd round, but you KNOW someone out there will draft him in round 1. it just won't be me, as i pick 2nd...

There is love for Edge. There is no love for a team that managed only 1,100 total rushing yards last year in one of the easiest divisions though and no real O-Line adjustments.