Sign in to follow this  
Jarvis Basnight

Anyone else feeling this @ #4 pick?

I was pretty sold on Portis with the #4 pick until the shoulder issue. Now I'm kind of scared with going after Portis and neither Tiki, nor Jackson, Brown, Jordan, James, Johnson or any of the others feel like a real sure thing pick to me at #4.

So how do you combat the top 3 picks this year?

I keep considering Peyton with the 4th pick. My league rewards all TD's with 6 points, including passing. While watching Peyton carve the 1st team D of Seattle last night I was thinking about taking my chances with him over a 2nd tier RB. Peyton could get to 40 this year without Edge, don't you think?

Anyone else thinking this? :dunno:

I was pretty sold on Portis with the #4 pick until the shoulder issue. Now I'm kind of scared with going after Portis and neither Tiki, nor Jackson, Brown, Jordan, James, Johnson or any of the others feel like a real sure thing pick to me at #4.

So how do you combat the top 3 picks this year?

I keep considering Peyton with the 4th pick. My league rewards all TD's with 6 points, including passing. While watching Peyton carve the 1st team D of Seattle last night I was thinking about taking my chances with him over a 2nd tier RB. Peyton could get to 40 this year without Edge, don't you think?

Anyone else thinking this? :huh:

The Seahawk D was not at full strength last night nor did they game plan the Colt offense. Don't base your Manning @ # 4 based on that game. My league has not yet decided draft position for our draft, but if I am picking anywhere between 5-12 and the guy at 4 picks Manning, I will be thrilled. :shocking:

Manning is probably the safest pick on the board after the top 3. I can see at least 36 TDs with an upside in the low 40s.

Scoop Wayne coming back and load up on guys like Frank Gore and Kevin Barlow who may be as good as some of the first rd RBs when all is said and done.

Manning is probably the safest pick on the board after the top 3. I can see at least 36 TDs with an upside in the low 40s.

Scoop Wayne coming back and load up on guys like Frank Gore and Kevin Barlow who may be as good as some of the first rd RBs when all is said and done.

wow, talk about building a team that won't scare anyone.

wow, talk about building a team that won't scare anyone.

Manning probably will outscore the QB you draft by 100 for the season, if Ronnie Brown or SJax out scores Frank Gore or Jamal Lewis by 40, you are still 60+ to the good.

In bigger leagues you have to be better at certain position. The rBs after the big 3 are basically a crap shoot. Manning is a proven point scorer.

Manning probably will outscore the QB you draft by 100 for the season, if Ronnie Brown or SJax out scores Frank Gore or Jamal Lewis by 40, you are still 60+ to the good.

In bigger leagues you have to be better at certain position. The rBs after the big 3 are basically a crap shoot. Manning is a proven point scorer.

you do realize that manning was only the 3rd best QB last year, kevan barlow sucks and frank gore is unproven. also, wayne is only a very good #2 WR. so you talking about building team with no #1 WR, 2 shiity running backs and QB that has never even been the #1 QB in FF. that team won't finish over .500.

Manning probably will outscore the QB you draft by 100 for the season,

This is exactly what makes this so interesting to me. If I don't get the top 3 RB's I feel as if the 2nd tier of RB's could end up worse than some 4th tier RB's. Manning is a sure thing and all indications are that he will score more td's now that James is gone.

If you've got a QB that's in his own tier and will outscore any other QB by a large margin, why not take a chance on some 3rd and 4th tier rb's knowing that you have far and away the best QB already.

Also, my league is a 10 teamer so I will have better choices than Gore and Barlow. Even if I take a Wayne or any other wr in the 2nd, I'd still be able to get a KJ, Parker, Foster, etc. I know it's taking a chance but I'm not sure just following the trend is the way to go here.

I am in a 14 team league and thinking the same thing - I am just not high on any of the RB's after the top 3...

#4 pick seems to be a huge pain in the rear - I wish I could trade down!

My reasons for picking Peyton:

1. I believe he will be the top ranked QB and perhaps even the top ranked FF producer

2. Picking any of the available RB's does not sit well with me. Ronnie Brown could be better than Tiki who could be better than Portis who may be worse than Caddy...major ?'s everywhere

3. It will change my strategy dramatically so I may end up taking WR/RB on the way back or even WR/TE >>> potential for Peyton / Holt / Gates (not a bad start) then fill in with Gore/Bush/Morency

4. Perhaps pick up McNabb in 4th if available and use as trade bait?

I am not a rookie although it may look like it...I just think this year is really tough to get value out of a RB at #4.

No way can you take a quarterback that high. Look to trade down if you're not sold on any of RB's at #4. In my opinion, you're throwing your season away if you take Manning at #4.

I was just using Barlow and Gore as examples. Take whoever you see fit.

Indys D is a little weaker this year, their running game is weaker, means bigger games for Manning.

I am in a 14 team league and thinking the same thing - I am just not high on any of the RB's after the top 3...

#4 pick seems to be a huge pain in the rear - I wish I could trade down!

My reasons for picking Peyton:

1. I believe he will be the top ranked QB and perhaps even the top ranked FF producer

2. Picking any of the available RB's does not sit well with me. Ronnie Brown could be better than Tiki who could be better than Portis who may be worse than Caddy...major ?'s everywhere

3. It will change my strategy dramatically so I may end up taking WR/RB on the way back or even WR/TE >>> potential for Peyton / Holt / Gates (not a bad start) then fill in with Gore/Bush/Morency

4. Perhaps pick up McNabb in 4th if available and use as trade bait?

I am not a rookie although it may look like it...I just think this year is really tough to get value out of a RB at #4.

A guy in my draft last night took Manning #4...here is his team:

QB: Manning, Brunell

RB: F. Gore, J. Jones, D. Rhodes, D. Williams

WR: M. Harrison, H. Ward, T. Glenn

TE: D. Clark, A. Smith

K: J. Reed

D: Bengals, Bears

you do realize that manning was only the 3rd best QB last year, kevan barlow sucks and frank gore is unproven. also, wayne is only a very good #2 WR. so you talking about building team with no #1 WR, 2 shiity running backs and QB that has never even been the #1 QB in FF. that team won't finish over .500.

YOU HAVE A SHORT MEMORY FOR A FANTASY GEEK.......IN 2004 WHEN PEYTON BROKE THE TD RECORD HE WAS THE #1 FF QB BY ABOUT 50 AND HE OUTSCORED THE TOP RB BY ALMOST 100 POINTS THAT SEASON. HE MAY NOT THROW FOR THAT MANY TD'S AGAIN BUT THEY WILL THROW MORE INSIDE THE REDZONE THIS YEAR WITHOUT EDGE SO HIS TD PASSES WITH BE IN THE MID TO HIGH 30'S....THAT WOULD PRODUCE PRETTY SOLID FANTASY NUMBERS.

No way can you take a quarterback that high. Look to trade down if you're not sold on any of RB's at #4. In my opinion, you're throwing your season away if you take Manning at #4.

"Look to trade down is easier said than done". I'm obviously not the only one who's not excited about the 4th spot. Nobodies interested.

Why on earth would you say your throwing your season away? There are other ways to win beyond the RB theory you know.

YOU HAVE A SHORT MEMORY FOR A FANTASY GEEK.......IN 2004 WHEN PEYTON BROKE THE TD RECORD HE WAS THE #1 FF QB BY ABOUT 50 AND HE OUTSCORED THE TOP RB BY ALMOST 100 POINTS THAT SEASON. HE MAY NOT THROW FOR THAT MANY TD'S AGAIN BUT THEY WILL THROW MORE INSIDE THE REDZONE THIS YEAR WITHOUT EDGE SO HIS TD PASSES WITH BE IN THE MID TO HIGH 30'S....THAT WOULD PRODUCE PRETTY SOLID FANTASY NUMBERS.

first of all, quit shouting. second, the year he broke the record in many leauges he still finished 2nd to c-pep.

HTH

That's really not that bad of a team. Is the guy a Colts fan? He's conceded the week the Colts are on bye. I respect the guy for the gamble though. He was thinking outside of the box and if you're going to put all your eggs in one basket, the Colt's offense is a pretty nice basket.

I don't know what kind of scoring system was used for Cpep to overtake Manning in 04 but that is another issue, but for the purpose of the posted question 6 pts for all TD's Manning was the #1 FF QB that year which makes your statement false.......next question

I was in the default Yahoo league back in '04 with passing TDs going for 6 points.

I had CPepp and he was awesome... that is until RMoss went down midway through the season. CPepp continued to play well but not at Manning's torrid pace.

That year, Manning was by far the FF MVP. Every owner who went against Manning were basically the underdogs. The guys who picked Manning that year also had Harrison and Chad Johnson. He picked QB-WR-WR followed up with Tiki and CMart. Amazingly he lost the championships because.... you guessed it... Manning sat out during the FF Championship game since the Colts wrapped up playoffs already.

That's really not that bad of a team. Is the guy a Colts fan? He's conceded the week the Colts are on bye. I respect the guy for the gamble though. He was thinking outside of the box and if you're going to put all your eggs in one basket, the Colt's offense is a pretty nice basket.

Not sure...it's just a random cbsSportsline league I joined. It's a solid team, but only if his starting RBs don't get hurt. Didn't mean to post it as a bad team if that's the way it came off. Just thought I'd share what this guy did and the type of backs he had with Manning at #4. It can be done I think, but you need a little luck at RB (not all that different from any other spot after 3 though).

"Look to trade down is easier said than done". I'm obviously not the only one who's not excited about the 4th spot. Nobodies interested.

Why on earth would you say your throwing your season away? There are other ways to win beyond the RB theory you know.

I have always been a RB in the first round kind of guy but this year I am also thinking that if I am not in the top 3 I may think about Peyton if I have the number 4 pick.. And I agree that you can win without picking a RB first.. I have seen people win by picking QB first and I even saw a guy win the league going WR-WR with his first 2 picks... It can be done.. That being said I will still probably take a RB in round one but not 100 percent sure... JMHO

If you take Manning at 4 be prepared to take many fliers during the draft.

I understand that but it's an attempt to 1) Get a difference maker and Manning is that....2) Differentiate myself from the rest of the herd. I almost feel as if I'm conceding to the 1st 3 picks in the draft if I don't do something different. Trying to beat them at their own game seems futile. The top 3 just seem so far beyond the 2nd tier of RB's that it's almost a worthwhile gamble...it would definitely be a gamble though..... 3)Outdraft the others taking talent in other areas during RB runs and taking a chance on guys like Dillon, Foster, Parker, or KJ. The difference between the 3rd and 4th tier backs and the 2nd tier backs seems awfully slim. If you pick the correct 3rd or 4th tier RB's that make it into the top 10 after having the #1 QB and an elite WR, you have yourself FF gold!

Again, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm just not sure what to do. :dunno:

I actually like Tiki at #4 and Peyton at #5. Tiki's been a monster and he's consistent on a team with a good offense. I know the age factor is there, but you won't regret it.

I don't know what kind of scoring system was used for Cpep to overtake Manning in 04 but that is another issue, but for the purpose of the posted question 6 pts for all TD's Manning was the #1 FF QB that year which makes your statement false.......next question

My league scores all TD's at 6 points, and Pepper was the #1 QB over Manning that year.

You need to relax. :headbanger:

I am picking 4th in a 10 team keeper (1) league. I could keep Peyton and pick a RB at 4. Or keep Ronnie Brown and maybe be able to pick up a S.Jax or Jordan. But Jordan scares the hell out of me. I like him as a player but the Raida's are dismal. I don't see them playing with the lead very often. I see a lot of catch-up football in their future (with Brooks?? Scary thought) Even taking a chance on Portis at 4 is more inviting to me than Jordan.

Which brings me back to keeping Peyton and maybe grabbing Ronnie with the 4th overall and trying to land some sleeper RB's in the later rounds.

BTW this was how I saw the first three picks in the draft going prior to Portis' injury

1) PORTIS (this guy will have probably kept Chester Taylor)

2) BARBER (this guy will have kept SA)

3) S.JAX ( this guy will have kept Edge)

4) plug in above scenarios here

:dunno:

I have the same dilema @ #4, but I was not thinking of Peyton and I'm a bit scare to draft a QB so high, I was thinking in drafting a QB in the 7 round. I was thinking in drafting Edge @ #4 cause he catches the ball and he will have lots of shots at the endzone this year and he his proven. I'm on a heavy TD and PPR league, so I think this is the smart pick for me.

I have the same dilema @ #4, but I was not thinking of Peyton and I'm a bit scare to draft a QB so high, I was thinking in drafting a QB in the 7 round. I was thinking in drafting Edge @ #4 cause he catches the ball and he will have lots of shots at the endzone this year and he his proven. I'm on a heavy TD and PPR league, so I think this is the smart pick for me.

I understand it from the perspective that Edge is a good receiver and has been a decent goal line back in the past but this is one of the reasons I'm struggling with this very situation....

Peyton is going to be much better without Edge (FF wise) while Edge is going to be worse without Peyton.

I considered Peyton at #6 in one of my 6 point TD leagues... but, I'd only do that if it's a 1 RB league.

We have a very QB-friendly point system, and I drew the #4 pick on Friday. I had drafted Manning last year, and vowed to never do so again...until that damn #4 popped out of the jar. After dealing with stomach knots for about an hour while everyone prepared, I had decided to go Tiki...then Manning...then Jackson...then Manning. I finally got over it and decided to draft Manning again. I knew I was in for a hellish draft, but had justified taking Peyton enough to feel good about it. Shortly thereafter, amidst the commotion of the draft commencing, I heard my buddy yell out from the three spot, "Edgerrin James."

Fock Manning. I got LT. Dreams do come true.

I will say, though, if he hadn't...I would be a Peyton owner. When you draft Peyton, just be prepared to have a horrible draft experience. While he may or may not pay off (I think he will), it's tough to look at the rest of your crappy team with dignity.

No running backs..DOA :argue:

I think drafting a QB in the first round will throw your draft out the door. I believe by drafting Rb-Rb or Rb-Wr you will have a better shot to have an OVERALL strong team from top to bottom, not like drafting a QB in the first and have all the good RB & WR go to other owners will their will be solid QB's in the 7th or 8th round. My .002

HOWEVER please note that in Manning's 2004 record breaking year, he threw 3-4 TD at certain games only to fizzle in others. I would rather have a consistent 2 TD guy/everyweek (Brady, Palmer) anyday over a Manning who scores in humongous spurts.

My two rules that I religously follow:

1)Consistency wins championships.

2)Winning by 2 points each week is still a win.