Sign in to follow this  
BoltFan

I'm drafting #10 in a 10 team league.

In my league.....scoring for D's is high...2 pts per sack and fumble recovery......3 pts for an INT......10 pts for allowing 10 pts or less. But, it doesn't matter if I use "Last Starter Drafted"...."Last Player Drafted"...or "Compiler Recommended"........I'm still getting the Chicago Bears D/ST in my Top 10 and the Jacksonville D/ST in my Top 20.

With my leagues scoring for D's.......do I actually consider the Chicago D at "the turn" (1.10 or 2.1) or completely ignore the value put on D's in my league by the Compiler (due to our scoring system)??? Help out please!

Thanks!

Note: We start 1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D and draft ONE backup at each spot. All other players are free agents and a bidding process (big money by year end) takes place for those players (obviously...you must drop a player at the position you are trying to add a free agent at).

In my league.....scoring for D's is high...2 pts per sack and fumble recovery......3 pts for an INT......10 pts for allowing 10 pts or less. But, it doesn't matter if I use "Last Starter Drafted"...."Last Player Drafted"...or "Compiler Recommended"........I'm still getting the Chicago Bears D/ST in my Top 10 and the Jacksonville D/ST in my Top 20.

With my leagues scoring for D's.......do I actually consider the Chicago D at "the turn" (1.10 or 2.1) or completely ignore the value put on D's in my league by the Compiler (due to our scoring system)??? Help out please!

Thanks!

Note: We start 1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D and draft ONE backup at each spot. All other players are free agents and a bidding process (big money by year end) takes place for those players (obviously...you must drop a player at the position you are trying to add a free agent at).

I never include DEF or K in my overall rankings. Others may choose to do so but if you pick a D in the first round you will be screwed the rest of the draft. You will be in catch up mode the rest of the time and will not be able to make up the difference. Let somone else take a D early once you get past the first two or three the next 8-10 DEF teams you can throw into a hat.

I put the baseline for kickers at .3 and defenses at .5 (I also do TE at .7, particularly this year). That get's the D much lower, but they are still above where I would EVER think about drafting them. I usually shoot to try and get the 3rd best defense according to my rankings, because it seems everybody overpays on the first two.

Thanks guys..........anybody else?

I just don't understand why we throw out the value score put on the D/ST that the Compiler spits out........JUST BECAUSE they are a D/ST. ???? I agree that taking a D/ST in the first round or early second would seem to put one behind the 8-ball, but........can somebody explain why would should just toss the unbiased Compiler numbers out the window when it comes to D/ST??

Thanks!

I just don't understand why we throw out the value score put on the D/ST that the Compiler spits out........JUST BECAUSE they are a D/ST. ???? I agree that taking a D/ST in the first round or early second would seem to put one behind the 8-ball, but........can somebody explain why would should just toss the unbiased Compiler numbers out the window when it comes to D/ST??

Thanks!

2 reasons...inconsistency and relative value. Predicting how a defense will perform is pretty much impossible and even if you could somehow predict that, the top defense doesn't score that many more points than a middle of the road defense.

Thanks!

If you are in a 10 team league I would wait until at least round 14 to pick up a team. If Chicago, Carolina or Pittsburgh are on the board when you pick in round 14, grab one, and be done with this position. If those three teams are gone, I would wait until 6-8 defenses have been drafted and then see where the value is.

Because owners rank defenses so differently, you can generally get good value just by waiting for the value to emerge.

A winning strategy to deploy after the draft for defenses is simply to look two games ahead in the waiver process. Most teams will have one or two defenses meaning that half of the defenses are available as free agent pick ups each week. By looking two to three weeks ahead at who will be playing San Francisco, Buffalo, Oakland or Houston, you likely can find a cheap defense that should perform well against sub-par competition. Drop this defense after their "quality game" so that you can continue to pick up other defenses that will have good weeks. Because of this strategy, I advise you to draft just one quality defense and look to play matchups the rest of the way. Every year two or three defenses are predicted to be terrible but end up playing great!

Look at the ADP for those D's in the compiler...

If you want to grab one of those D's think about taking them around their ADP, otherwise you are foching yourself :doublethumbsup:

Maybe the compiler knows ten team leagues are for pvussies and rookies.

Thanks!

Why not just read up, evaluate, and make your own choice? :doublethumbsup:

Maybe the compiler knows ten team leagues are for pvussies and rookies.

How about you blow me you backward A$$, big belt buckle wearing, country bumpkin? ;)

Ahhh maybe the Compiler knows that we are referring to the best defense in the whole NFL my friends...DA BEARS!!!

Bill Swerski: Now, gentlemen, let me ask you this: What if Da Bears were all 14 inches tall, you know, about so high? Now, what's your score of today's game?

Carl Wollarski: Against Da Giants?

Bill Swerski: Yes, give 'em a handicap.

Carl Wollarski: Bears 18, Giants 10. And that would finally be a good game.

Pat Arnold: Yeah, it would be a good game. Mini Bears 24, Giants 14.

Todd O'Conner: What about Ditka? Would he be mini, too?

Bill Swerski: No, he would be full-grown.

Todd O'Conner: Oh, then, uh.. Mini Bears 31, Giants 7.

Carl Wollarski: Oh, hold on. Then I change mine, too. I thought it was Mini Ditka.

Ahhh maybe the Compiler knows that we are referring to the best defense in the whole NFL my friends...DA BEARS!!!

Bill Swerski: Now, gentlemen, let me ask you this: What if Da Bears were all 14 inches tall, you know, about so high? Now, what's your score of today's game?

Carl Wollarski: Against Da Giants?

Bill Swerski: Yes, give 'em a handicap.

Carl Wollarski: Bears 18, Giants 10. And that would finally be a good game.

Pat Arnold: Yeah, it would be a good game. Mini Bears 24, Giants 14.

Todd O'Conner: What about Ditka? Would he be mini, too?

Bill Swerski: No, he would be full-grown.

Todd O'Conner: Oh, then, uh.. Mini Bears 31, Giants 7.

Carl Wollarski: Oh, hold on. Then I change mine, too. I thought it was Mini Ditka.

Oh man. Such a Classic! :first:

How many of those guys are dead now..... :cry:

2 reasons...inconsistency and relative value. Predicting how a defense will perform is pretty much impossible and even if you could somehow predict that, the top defense doesn't score that many more points than a middle of the road defense.

agreed 100%. never include these positions in your list. trying to pick the #1 defense is comparable to dove hunting with a pellet gun. this is assuming the dove is in flight. :banana: