Sign in to follow this  
NMK

Jets Defense

I notice that the FFtoday rankings have the Jets defense ranked #7. Is this legit? I thought it was high for the Jets.

I figure that their offense is gonna be terrible (they haven't named a starting QB yet, their #1 back is kevan barlow), which means that their D is gonna be on the field a lot, and will be getting very tired. I know have some decent skill players in Vilma but they did lose Ty Law. Will they be able to force turnovers and keep opposing offenses out of the endzone? I honestly had NYJ D around 20? what do you guys think?

If it helps, here is how my league scores DEF:

Sack (4)

Interception (4)

Fumble Recovery (4)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (2)

Block Kick (2)

Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)

Points Allowed 0 points (15)

Points Allowed 1-6 points (10)

Points Allowed 7-13 points (5)

Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)

Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)

Points Allowed 28-34 points (-3)

Points Allowed 35+ points (-5)

A lot of sacks and turnovers are projected for the Jets, and your league rewards those highly. Not sure why so many are projected, but they are.

yeah I'm not sure either, anybody out there know why? And aren't they gonna get scored on a lot this year? Last year they were 23rd in the league in points against (22.3). Is their any reason to believe that they won't get lit up again?

OK i'll make the question even easier: Below are a list of the available defenses in my league, who should I take over NYJ? The reason I drafted the jets was because they were ranked 7th according to FFToday. Am I missing something? Is it because the Jets have an easy schedule?

CIN,ATL, PHI, MIA, WAS, BUF, DET, NE, ARZ, KC, SD, TEN , GB, CLE, STL, MIN, SF, OAK, NO, HOU

Should I upgrade to one of these teams, or should I stick with the Jets?

OK i'll make the question even easier: Below are a list of the available defenses in my league, who should I take over NYJ? The reason I drafted the jets was because they were ranked 7th according to FFToday. Am I missing something? Is it because the Jets have an easy schedule?

CIN,ATL, PHI, MIA, WAS, BUF, DET, NE, ARZ, KC, SD, TEN , GB, CLE, STL, MIN, SF, OAK, NO, HOU

I'm not sure how the Jets plan on getting all those sacks and turn overs either. In my opinion, half of the defenses you listed should be an upgrade from the Jets. Not Det, KC, Tenn, GB, SF, Oak, NO or Houston and doubtful on Buf, STL and Minn.

A lot of sacks and turnovers are projected for the Jets, and your league rewards those highly. Not sure why so many are projected, but they are.

Anybody out there know why the Jets are ranked 7th according to FFToday?

Not an hour ago I checked those ranking and said the same exact thing.

Must be a typo somewhere :thumbsup:

On your list I like MIA, ATL & NE

I am also surprised that the Jets got ranked that high. I just dont see it, and I agree with you. The offense will hurt them by keeping them on the field.

I would definitely grab Philly, Mia, or Atl. All of the teams have a bunch of playmakers on D, and should be a huge upgrade over the Jets. Philly struggled last yr due to injuries, but they should be great early as they get Hou, GB, and SF in 3 of their first 4. And Mia will be great come playoff time when they get the Jets and Buf. At that pt, who knows who will be starting for at QB for those teams.

Jets D will be improved, could hit 7 but should never be ranked 7

they have close to the same personel that was 12th overall 2 years ago but have arguably improved the weeknesses in that squad

up and down for sure, id put them as a sleeper but thats about it, hardly worth drafting IMO but could be a WW steal

I bit. They were the highest on the list at the end of the draft so I took em. Maybe ok? :dunno:

I am also surprised that the Jets got ranked that high. I just dont see it, and I agree with you. The offense will hurt them by keeping them on the field.

I would definitely grab Philly, Mia, or Atl. All of the teams have a bunch of playmakers on D, and should be a huge upgrade over the Jets. Philly struggled last yr due to injuries, but they should be great early as they get Hou, GB, and SF in 3 of their first 4. And Mia will be great come playoff time when they get the Jets and Buf. At that pt, who knows who will be starting for at QB for those teams.

Tru, Philly are a good D to have early because of their schedule, but they did just trade Simmoneau so who knows how that will affect their defense. But if we are talking about schedule as a factor, I don't like the fact that the Eagles play in the toughest division in the league. They play each of NYG, DAL and WAS twice. I checked out the Jets schedule and they have a cake schedule. TEN, CLE, HOU, CHI, GB, MIN and BUF twice. I'm still not convinced but outside of Vilma, what playmakers does NYJ have?

I drafted the Jets as my 2nd D (after Jacksonville). And now, y'know, I have no idea why I did that. The best thing I can think of to defend the pick is that they don't have the same bye week.

I drafted the Jets as my 2nd D (after Jacksonville). And now, y'know, I have no idea why I did that. The best thing I can think of to defend the pick is that they don't have the same bye week.

Did the same thing,my beer soaked brain remembered seeing them ranked fairly high via a few different sources,so i picked 'em to back up philly and they just might end up starting a few weeks. :pointstosky:

Strength of Schedule? The Jets face Green Bay, Chicago, Cleveland, Tennessee, Buffalo twice, Houston, & Detroit. Also the fact that their defense will be on the field more because their offense sucks mule cack which will give them more opportunity to get sacks interceptions, & fumble recovires.

That's just my guess. :pointstosky:

Expect a drastic crash this season. They might get a few extra points, just for being on the field for most of the game because their offense isn't going to surprise anyone.

Ok, I'll make response as nice as possible. WRONG BORED! :pointstosky:

And the Jets defense will be solid this year. They kept them in a lot of games last year and I fully expect them to do the same thing again this year.

Ok, I'll make response as nice as possible. WRONG BORED! :lol:

my bad, Jetsfan28. My initial question had nothing to do with me 'needing a little help', it had everything to do with the fact that the good people at FFToday ranked the Jets #7 and I wanted know why they were ranked so high. That's why I posted in this 'bored'(sic). The thread evolved and I had to keep the thread afloat somehow. Since I just joined the board yesterday, I will do my best to adhere to the rules. I suggest you join me. I believe one of the rules was no yelling or typing in all caps.

Strength of Schedule? The Jets face Green Bay, Chicago, Cleveland, Tennessee, Buffalo twice, Houston, & Detroit. Also the fact that their defense will be on the field more because their offense sucks mule cack which will give them more opportunity to get sacks interceptions, & fumble recovires.

That's just my guess. :dunno:

thanks CHB, thats a point I hadn't considered-that although they might be tired, by virtue of being on the field more often, gives them an opportunity to make more plays. That's arguably one reason why BAL and TB have had such good defences lately, they have brutal offenses.